Are you happy with AE Phase 1 and Emil 1951 ?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

VarzA #1 Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:45 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27434 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

Next frontline week i should have all 10 levels done, and it's time to pick my tanks.

I'm not that impressed with either the Emil 1951 or the AE Phase 1, and i am considering exchanging the prestige points for gold+bonds.

Emil is worth about 3600 gold + 1200 bonds and the AE Phase 1 is 4500 gold + 1500 bonds.

In the case of the Emil 1951, i don't need a swedish crew trainer and i especially don't need a swedish heavy tank crew trainer.

It does not improve significantly over the Emil I (judging from stats and replays) apart from slightly better mobility and slightly faster unload speed + aim time.

AE Phase 1 otoh, has even less practical use. I might need in the near future a UK/USA tank for campaign 2.0 missions, but from the looks of things, the T32/Caernarvon/Conqueror/S.Conqueror seem better options .... for those same missions (tech tree tanks, or much easier to get ace on ... for T32, and so on).

I don't need an US crew trainer (already got t25 pilot and ts-5 and happy with those),

I also am setting things up right now for going f2p fully, and the gold might prove practical, i plan to get the STA-2 which will mean 21 prestige points redeemed for gold and bonds (6300 gold + 2100 bonds overall).

Did you find any practical reason for having/using the Emil 1951 and AE Phase 1 beyond their gimmicky nature of being tanks you can only get from FL ?

UPDATE : got both ae phase 1 and emil 1951.

Edited by VarzA, 26 November 2019 - 01:02 PM.

Spurtung #2 Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:05 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 75102 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

Got both, not using them much tbh, but I reckon I'll end up using the Emil more often to train crews, especially because it has premium (and not reward) status, so it does make the extra credits, while also being the only of such kind in the game for Swedish HTs.

Either way, after all the painful grind, I did not hesitate in picking the tanks, no matter what they ended up being.

VarzA #3 Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:22 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27434 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostSpurtung, on 13 November 2019 - 07:05 AM, said:

Got both, not using them much tbh, but I reckon I'll end up using the Emil more often to train crews, especially because it has premium (and not reward) status, so it does make the extra credits, while also being the only of such kind in the game for Swedish HTs.

Either way, after all the painful grind, I did not hesitate in picking the tanks, no matter what they ended up being.

I meant reward more in the sense of being rewards for playing FL, not their premium status (the AE Phase 1 is the only one who doesn't have a credit bonus of all of them).

What i don't like about the Emil 1951 (mostly things that carry over from the Emil 1) :

- your armor does not exist if you meet 280mm of pen or more

- sides are very weak

- still very soft to HE arty, S51/M40-43 can pretty much 2-3 shot you

- standard pen is still very weak at 217mm APCR

It feels like a tank that is (god help us) balanced ... and i don't think the powercreep has stopped in this game.

On top of that, swedish tanks have such high density of skills/jobs per crew member on commander and gunner that female crews are kinda needed (armourer is a bit of a must on the gunners) and with crew books, the need for a dedicated training tank is seriously reduced.

Edited by VarzA, 13 November 2019 - 06:23 AM.

Lanrefni #4 Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:59 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 34844 battles
liking the Emil, do not care about AEPI, simply because it trains crews for a line which is no longer viable,and I have a bunch of low tier premiums for training/retraining crews.

Spurtung #5 Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:05 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 75102 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostVarzA, on 13 November 2019 - 05:22 AM, said:

I meant reward more in the sense of being rewards for playing FL, not their premium status (the AE Phase 1 is the only one who doesn't have a credit bonus of all of them).

What i don't like about the Emil 1951 (mostly things that carry over from the Emil 1) :

- your armor does not exist if you meet 280mm of pen or more

- sides are very weak

- still very soft to HE arty, S51/M40-43 can pretty much 2-3 shot you

- standard pen is still very weak at 217mm APCR

It feels like a tank that is (god help us) balanced ... and i don't think the powercreep has stopped in this game.

On top of that, swedish tanks have such high density of skills/jobs per crew member on commander and gunner that female crews are kinda needed (armourer is a bit of a must on the gunners) and with crew books, the need for a dedicated training tank is seriously reduced.

You didn't even mention reward, I did, and it was to highlight the whole credit making potential, considering you plan to go f2p. That would ultimately help with getting those crew books too.

Emil (or the whole Swedish high tier HT line, for that matter) is not a great tank, it does alright.

I have full female crews on all the Swedish tier 10s, precisely because of how their crews are set. I can't say I use them that much, but they're there in any case.

I really couldn't see myself suffering through FL, especially with a single map and no reserves, to then pick up gold and bonds, but you'll be the judge of what your needs are. None of the tanks for choosing are great, there are plenty premium HTs from the American line as it is, so do as you please, really.

Desyatnik_Pansy #6 Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:19 AM

Bartender

• 18415 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Don't really care about EMIL 1951, it's really just eye candy for my garage. I mostly only played it in FL After unlocking it, and only gave it a brief shot in randoms during a terrible session (terrible idea) to maybe try and do a mission if I could; short story, I didn't. I didn't expect anything good out of it mind you, or well, that would enjoy anyway. I picked it over the STA-2/WZ-111 Options since I care for neither tank, don't like the look of either tank and for my modding stuff, having a Swedish tank in the garage would just be useful.

AE Phase I Though, I really like. I had an American crew still kinda loosely hanging around, some in the M46 Patton and some still trained to the M103 From years back now. So I got rid of the Patton and trained them all to the AEP (I'm not grinding US Heavies anymore, so it's fine) and have had a blast playing it. It's more mobile than my Conqueror, and even though there's absolutely no reason to I've found I enjoyed the gun more than my Conq's. I don't care about it at all for crew training or the like, just as another typical Tier IX Hulldown heavy, and in that role I've had a lot of fun with it.

Mind you, I'd have to enjoy this thing. I'll have grinded out 4 AEPs by the end of next week, so the vehicle will have to have been worth it (mostly for the people I grinded for more than me) considering the investment into it. I just hope next season doesn't actually have anything interesting. Maybe throw in that Obj. 777 II Or whatever that got rebalanced down to Tier IX, then I can ignore it entirely! :teethhappy:

shikaka9 #7 Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 72193 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
I'm happy that I don't bother to have those :B

I_Gutmensch_Deluxe_I #8 Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:32 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18675 battles
  • [NASO] NASO
Booth are bad because they are Heavys --> Heavys getting f*stet by Arta.

chainreact0r #9 Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34998 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE
I only played 2 games with the AE but it feels very underwhelming. Because i got spoiled by the chieftain, the AE feels like a watered down version of it, worse in every aspect and the tier difference doesn't make up for it. Also i feel like 50TP and AMX M4 are way better tier 9 heavies. The former for the huge alpha and bully potential and the latter for the great hull armor and overall characteristics.

Bora_BOOM #10 Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:33 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 29142 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

I was thinking of getting bonds and gold, but eventually bonds and gold would become a tank. So why saving for a tank if you can get it right away? Now, the amount of gold that you get can enable you to spend it slowly or you will be able to get only one half-decent tank. Since I have enough gold (for equipment, crew and stuff) and have enough t8 premiums it was a no brainer for me so I have got both the tanks (Phase and Emil). I am still at t7 Leo (SWE) so 1951 comes handy, and the Phase got a good crew immediately.

For you, it might be a different case so only you can judge what's worth it. As for bonds, you might get a tank for them eventually (if you collect enough), but you can take two tanks from the mode right away. Consider the fact that those tanks are (still) not available in a store so the only way to get them, for now, is to obtain them in FL.

My impressions about the tanks are they are decent, I haven't played a lot so I need to get used to them. Phase 1 is particularly good, the turret is awesome, some ppl refer to is as a t9 chieftain, so you get the point. Unfortunately, I have also started to play them during a bad streak and it seems my luck has abandoned them (my winrates are terribad: 38% phase in 26 battles and awful emil 21% wr in 14 games although my wn8 were green). I like the Phase more even though it has given me such a bad MM so far that I was in t10 games almost every time.

I expect the luck to change eventually, but I enjoy them both regardless.

Wintermute_1 #11 Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:54 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 51491 battles
Like the Emil, plays well and allows me to move along my female Swedish crew quickly by switching them back and forth. The AE phase 1 I could live without (the repair kit is a gimmick you quickly forget exists), it just plays like a hull down heavy like so many other hull down heavies.

tajj7 #12 Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:12 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28447 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

The AE Phase 1 basically being a slightly worse Conqueror with a built in large repair kit is why I gave up on the Frontline grind. 

I decided early on that ranked was less grind (and they made it even less so) and the reward tank looked more interesting so decided to go for that. 

It will however be interesting to see whether real tier 9 premiums might end up appearing as reward tanks/bonds shop tanks in the future with an even higher credit multiplier than tier 8s, similar to what they have done in WOWs. 

VarzA #13 Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:15 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27434 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostBora_BOOM, on 13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

I was thinking of getting bonds and gold, but eventually bonds and gold would become a tank. So why saving for a tank if you can get it right away? Now, the amount of gold that you get can enable you to spend it slowly or you will be able to get only one half-decent tank. Since I have enough gold (for equipment, crew and stuff) and have enough t8 premiums it was a no brainer for me so I have got both the tanks (Phase and Emil). I am still at t7 Leo (SWE) so 1951 comes handy, and the Phase got a good crew immediately.

For you, it might be a different case so only you can judge what's worth it. As for bonds, you might get a tank for them eventually (if you collect enough), but you can take two tanks from the mode right away. Consider the fact that those tanks are (still) not available in a store so the only way to get them, for now, is to obtain them in FL.

My impressions about the tanks are they are decent, I haven't played a lot so I need to get used to them. Phase 1 is particularly good, the turret is awesome, some ppl refer to is as a t9 chieftain, so you get the point. Unfortunately, I have also started to play them during a bad streak and it seems my luck has abandoned them (my winrates are terribad: 38% phase in 26 battles and awful emil 21% wr in 14 games although my wn8 were green). I like the Phase more even though it has given me such a bad MM so far that I was in t10 games almost every time.

I expect the luck to change eventually, but I enjoy them both regardless.

Well, if i go with just the STA-2, i get 6300 gold + 2100 bonds.

6300 gold + 1000 (from the last 3 prestige levels i have to complete) + a little extra gold i have, i might be able to Somua SM or LT432 when they go on sale again, with a discount (hopefully like in the summer, Somua was at 9k gold).

Somua SM and LT432 are pretty much the only premiums that i might want. :)

11:17 Added after 1 minute

View Posttajj7, on 13 November 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

The AE Phase 1 basically being a slightly worse Conqueror with a built in large repair kit is why I gave up on the Frontline grind. 

I decided early on that ranked was less grind (and they made it even less so) and the reward tank looked more interesting so decided to go for that. 

It will however be interesting to see whether real tier 9 premiums might end up appearing as reward tanks/bonds shop tanks in the future with an even higher credit multiplier than tier 8s, similar to what they have done in WOWs. 

If there's money in it, they will do it. :P

OIias_of_Sunhillow #14 Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:17 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 26315 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
The gold and bonds can be got at any time, rare tanks, ..are rare. I'll keep the two tanks I got from FL.

vonadnan #15 Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:34 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30054 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A
We talked about this somewhere not long a go, u mentioned Somua as more attractive, I think u had it as rental like me. I will say it again, I really like Emil, did well on tech tree long time a go, this version (3 shot) works even better for me, have 1800 average dmg, and I am just about average guy. I will agree with u, it does need good crew, and armorer is a must. About AE , I'm not interested, but it seems a solid tank. I have a bit dilemma my self, if I reach end prestige next week what to do. Probly its gonna be wz, cose some day I will go for that 1111115A so crew trainer would be nice, the rest will be exchanged for gold and bonds, f2p here..

VarzA #16 Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:33 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27434 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View Postvonadnan, on 13 November 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

We talked about this somewhere not long a go, u mentioned Somua as more attractive, I think u had it as rental like me. I will say it again, I really like Emil, did well on tech tree long time a go, this version (3 shot) works even better for me, have 1800 average dmg, and I am just about average guy. I will agree with u, it does need good crew, and armorer is a must. About AE , I'm not interested, but it seems a solid tank. I have a bit dilemma my self, if I reach end prestige next week what to do. Probly its gonna be wz, cose some day I will go for that 1111115A so crew trainer would be nice, the rest will be exchanged for gold and bonds, f2p here..

I was considering the wz-111 also until they introduced the 112 in the referral program.

Now i have 112, and it's pretty good in FL.

DuncaN_101 #17 Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:37 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 56619 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
I don't have either so...

Comming up against them tho. I'm happy with both. They are competitive but not op it seems to me.

snowlywhite #18 Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26124 battles

the only tank that I was interested in getting from fl was sta-2. Not the greatest thing around, but it's playable. The rest seem really trash. The 2 t8 heavies have guns that shoot on other maps, the t9, well... doesn't make extra credits, so who cares.

I planned initially to go to rank 4(? - the one where you can get the sta-2). I'll probably end up with rank 7(8?) given I'm short on credits after buying the whole e50 line this week. And well, with boosters ranks really go fast. But rest of the points will definitely be gold + bonds.

I've watched quite some emil 1951 on skill's stream and I can fully understand why he's in no rush to 3 mark it. That gun seems like a piece of art. And 111 was always bad, so it's not like I was ever in danger of considering it.

but again: I'm playing premiums exclusively for credits. Crew training - just buy books. And the only ones I ever bought are lt-432 and 13-57. Rest were either free from marathons or from loot boxes. 

I'm pretty picky on what I play. Given it's a premium, you'll play hundreds of games in it; and if the tank pisses you off... For instance I have 0 games in the defender I got last Christmas. And from playing it sporadically on FL, it's definitely a tank I would never consider grinding in. It's a matter of taste in the end; if having a potato launcher doesn't piss you off...

sokolicc #19 Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32400 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

View PostlnfernaI, on 13 November 2019 - 06:59 AM, said:

liking the Emil, do not care about AEPI, simply because it trains crews for a line which is no longer viable,and I have a bunch of low tier premiums for training/retraining crews.

T57 Heavy is still viable. ;)

ThorgrimBrenadim #20 Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34532 battles

Have both and not played either a lot yet even though I have had them for a while. ( I am grinding tech tree tanks ) But the few games I have played show they are not OP but can be good in the right circumstances. AE is great if you protect sides and lower plate but expose lower plate and your dead. Emil is better all round out of the two and as I have not done the grind into the Swedish heavys yet a nice bonus, and allows me to continue the medium and TD line for now.

You need to consider your play style and then decide but I honestly would take at least one of them unless you really hate both, main reason the other two tanks are on sale more often than not so easy enough to pick up and who knows how long before wargamming sell these two maybe 12 months ?? and then at what price ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users