Setter

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Aoishi #1 Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23298 battles
  • [THEDL] THEDL

I really enjoy the setter, i have got multiple ace tankers in it. the camo is good and the gun depression is really nice to work with.

As a hardcore passive scouter, this tank is a dream come true.

Ya'll just wanted a new line of LT-432s, these lights are made for passive.

Tealo #2 Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:49 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 43132 battles
  • [RIFF] RIFF
And the advantage of the fastest velocity  HE shell in the game with 90mm pen. Very good for hunting down other light tanks and arty including very good at sniping wheelie warriors 

XxKuzkina_MatxX #3 Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:11 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

You're doing great in the Setter and in most lights you play. Good job. :)

Aoishi #4 Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:35 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23298 battles
  • [THEDL] THEDL

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 14 November 2019 - 06:11 AM, said:

You're doing great in the Setter and in most lights you play. Good job. :)

Thank you very much, i seem to love small light tanks above all else

Tilly042 #5 Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:06 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 35507 battles
I don't like it at all.  Sold it before I finished the grind.  None of the YouTube folks I watch are very fond of it either or the UK light line but then I've only watched Circon, QB, Claus Kellerman, DezGamez and Skillz to be fair!! :)

Balc0ra #6 Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:53 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74388 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTilly042, on 14 November 2019 - 10:06 AM, said:

I don't like it at all.  Sold it before I finished the grind.  None of the YouTube folks I watch are very fond of it either or the UK light line but then I've only watched Circon, QB, Claus Kellerman, DezGamez and Skillz to be fair!! :)

Well, it's like WG said. The line is not made with everyone in mind. It's for a specific style. A style most hates tbh.

pihip #7 Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16199 battles
I too enjoyed the Setter.

Managed to Ace it, finished the grind fairly quickly with 65% winrate (amazing for my standards).

The tank is a great passive observer. I ran a full camo crew with BiA, paintjob and camo net, and had games where the red tanks had to bump into me to spot me. :)

Not as competitive as the more combat-oriented LTs (the low DPM can really be felt) but again, its role is that of a passive scout, and it excels at it.

Only major gripe was shell velocity which felt quite lazy.

Cobra6 #8 Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16531 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostAoishi, on 14 November 2019 - 04:45 AM, said:

I really enjoy the setter, i have got multiple ace tankers in it. the camo is good and the gun depression is really nice to work with.

No, we simply wanted a light that is able to defend itself properly in a fight (mandatory in this game) and not another EVEN90 that just gets kicked around by everyone.

Passive spotting is all well and good but it means you are completely relying on your team to do their job and we all know that in WoT you can't rely on your team when the fight starts. 

You need to be able to do proper damage yourself to influence the battle and carry the dum dums to victory. If you can't do that or are artificially handicapped in doing so by bad gun-stats, it's not a good tank.

Cobra 6

Corsz #9 Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:23 PM

Private

• Player
  • 35014 battles
  • [ACT1V] ACT1V

View PostAoishi, on 14 November 2019 - 05:45 AM, said:

I've noticed one thing. If  I am spotted in place that I am usualy not... It must be Brit light somewhere in bush which hasn't been spotted yet. Personally I start then shooting blind bushes where it possibly can be.

Sometimes it works and light start to run away

tajj7 #10 Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28447 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostAoishi, on 14 November 2019 - 04:45 AM, said:

Pretty much any other tier 7 light can passive scout just as well, whilst being massively better at everything else.  For example whilst a T71 might have worse camo, it has 20m more view range that more than makes up for it, plus a clip, more DPM etc. 

Ace tankers are also pretty irrelevant as to a tank's performance as well, as they are relative to how the tank is played, and low values are usually a good indication of a poor tank.

It has nothing really to do with playstyle, the British lights are just bad and are way behind in almost all categories to their peers, the only things they have is a slight camo advantage (negated by poor view range) and high base pen, but when you have terrible DPM, low ammo, so so gun handling, average alpha, high pen is pretty meaningless.

View PostBalc0ra, on 14 November 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

Well, it's like WG said. The line is not made with everyone in mind. It's for a specific style. A style most hates tbh.

They are not good at that specific style, their camo is marginally higher than Russian lights, worse than the Even 90 and worse than the WVs, and they have usually worse in class view range. 

Every light is able to passive spot just as well pretty much. 

It's just a line of very very bad tanks, with virtually no strengths, hence why no one is playing them, for a new tank line that has been out for a while now, for less than 3k people on the EU server to have a Manticore and barely 10k people have got the tier 8, shows how terrible they are.

There are almost as many T95/FV4201s on the EU server as there are LHMTV's, almost as many people have a CWs reward tank that has IIRC only been available for 2 campaigns, than a tier 8 tech tree tank.  There are 130k owners of the 13-57 in it's two forms, but barely 27k people have bothered with the Setter. 

Just 2.4k Setters played last month, yet nearly 4k people playing the horrible KV-3 grinding XP for the double-barreled tanks, so more people grinding for a line that is not even out yet than are grinding the British lights.

less than 500 Manticores played last month. 

Has to go down as the biggest fail line WG has ever introduced 

Balc0ra #11 Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74388 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Posttajj7, on 14 November 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

They are not good at that specific style, their camo is marginally higher than Russian lights, worse than the Even 90 and worse than the WVs, and they have usually worse in class view range.

But tier for tier, the Setter kinda does in that area, even with the lowest base view range. But not the line as a whole. Tier 9 arguably the worst one IMO. As the mobility killed that one for me. As it's turning circle is wider then a T95 with a dead driver when you try to circle bully anything, yet alone get to good spots early on soft terrain like some maps have.

Edited by Balc0ra, 14 November 2019 - 03:24 PM.

Desyatnik_Pansy #12 Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

Bartender

• 18395 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostTealo, on 14 November 2019 - 04:49 AM, said:

And the advantage of the fastest velocity  HE shell in the game with 90mm pen. Very good for hunting down other light tanks and arty including very good at sniping wheelie warriors 

Am I daft or..?

It has 75mm pen, and a velocity of 850 With HE. Literally the next tank, the LHMTV, has faster HE But with less pen (42mm). :mellow:

EDIT: Ok, upon checking you're referring to the Senlac. It's not the fastest HE Shell though, beaten by the Manticore (1100 m/s) and shared with the LHMTV And GSOR, and only being like 20 m/s better than French guns.

Edited by Desyatnik_Pansy, 14 November 2019 - 03:28 PM.

tajj7 #13 Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28447 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostBalc0ra, on 14 November 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

But tier for tier, the Setter kinda does in that area, even with the lowest base view range. But not the line as a whole. Tier 9 arguably the worst one IMO. As the mobility killed that one for me. As it's turning circle is wider then a T95 with a dead driver when you try to circle bully anything, yet alone get to good spots early on soft terrain like some maps have.

IIRC the Setter's camo was marginally higher than the LTG, so about 3-5% higher than most of the other tier 7 lights, many of which have better view range.  

I remember Circon playing it on stream and he basically said evertyhing the setter can do in terms of passive spotter he could have done in any other light because the marginal camo advantage matters little in a bush, whilst all the other lights are better at everything else.

If they wanted to make a high alpha, high pen, light line that was great for passive spotting, then they needed best in class alpha, view range and camo, not slightly better camo and slightly better pen.

So for like the Manticore, if you gave it like 45% or something base camo, 410-20m view range and like 268 standard pen (with 300 HEAT) and 480 alpha, and didn't change anything else about the tank bar the stupid ammo count, then you'd have an interesting and more competitive light. They'd be clearly the best at passive spotting  and would pack a high alpha/high pen punch, but would have poor mobility, DPM and be poor firing on the move so would have to be stationary to fire that high alpha punch. 

Edited by tajj7, 14 November 2019 - 03:32 PM.

somegras #14 Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:52 PM

General

• Player
  • 50963 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

In my experience the Setter was pretty bad. The LTHMTV was way better. Mostly because of the better alpha damage, 135 damage per shot is just awful. It is also awfully slow, the setter.

The thing that annoys me the most, however, is that I am now at tier 9, and I am still unable to get 450 viewrange whilst on the move, without running food, or use vents+optics. It's ridiculous, if you ask me.

TungstenHitman #15 Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 30766 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

If you like the Setter and passive scouting is your bag then get yourself the SP1C too which is pretty much the same thing by the look of it but it has 20 more base view range which is the one of the highest for it's tier which obviously makes the passive scouting game that much easier.

The gun is more of a derp thingy though so it depends just how much you lean on passive scouting when held against being a damage dealer. I found the SP1C gun to be pleasantly better than I was expecting though but ya, a T71 or AMX 13 75 would bend both these tanks over and have their way with them.... every time. 

Tealo #16 Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:44 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 43132 battles
  • [RIFF] RIFF

:unsure:View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 14 November 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

Am I daft or..?

It has 75mm pen, and a velocity of 850 With HE. Literally the next tank, the LHMTV, has faster HE But with less pen (42mm). :mellow:

EDIT: Ok, upon checking you're referring to the Senlac. It's not the fastest HE Shell though, beaten by the Manticore (1100 m/s) and shared with the LHMTV And GSOR, and only being like 20 m/s better than French guns.

No it was me being daft got my British light tanks mixed up. I had look at their stats including tier 9 and 10 they also have the cheapest HE shell cost the GSOR is 405 credits per shot at tier 9 which gets a pen of 42 with 320 damage 122 on modules with a splash of 1.46m at velocity of 1020.

The manticore HE shell cost is 630 credits a shot at tier 10 which get a pen of 60 with 480 damage 150 on modules with a splash of 1.9 meters at velocity of 1100

What are they good for? They have situationally advantage in camo passive spotting and shooting HE at other light tanks on the move. Plus a very cheap repair cost. 

One of the easiest line of tanks to actually make a profit in at tier 9 and 10 by a half decent player whom can shoot, and mix/match his ammo load out to what he mostly likely to shoot at. Depending on map just try not to end up on Himmelsdorf etc.

Aoishi #17 Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23298 battles
  • [THEDL] THEDL

View PostCobra6, on 14 November 2019 - 02:15 PM, said:

No, we simply wanted a light that is able to defend itself properly in a fight (mandatory in this game) and not another EVEN90 that just gets kicked around by everyone.

A good even 90 player doesn't let themselves get kicked around, the same goes with the setter and british lights.

I'm not a good player and even i was able to 3 mark the even 90 because i knew when to get spotted and when to stay behind and passive scout.

21:59 Added after 1 minute

View PostTungstenHitman, on 14 November 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

If you like the Setter and passive scouting is your bag then get yourself the SP1C too which is pretty much the same thing by the look of it but it has 20 more base view range which is the one of the highest for it's tier which obviously makes the passive scouting game that much easier.

The gun is more of a derp thingy though so it depends just how much you lean on passive scouting when held against being a damage dealer. I found the SP1C gun to be pleasantly better than I was expecting though but ya, a T71 or AMX 13 75 would bend both these tanks over and have their way with them.... every time. 

Prior to 9.18, i had every single high tier light in the game. And the setter and lHMTV are my favourites behind the EVEN 90

TungstenHitman #18 Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:52 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 30766 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

View PostAoishi, on 14 November 2019 - 09:57 PM, said:

A good even 90 player doesn't let themselves get kicked around, the same goes with the setter and british lights.

I'm not a good player and even i was able to 3 mark the even 90 because i knew when to get spotted and when to stay behind and passive scout.

21:59 Added after 1 minute

Prior to 9.18, i had every single high tier light in the game. And the setter and lHMTV are my favourites behind the EVEN 90

Then definitely pick up the SP1C you'll really like it and the tier8 HWK something something is just a better version with even more view range and irons out a lot of the SP1C's failings. Thankfully I never had the SP1C prior to it's nerf so I never noticed the loss of that auto loader it once had but as usual, just like the tier6 derp German tank and  Chinese tier6 auto loader, WG axed the lot and gave them all some generic boring gun to grind passed rather than actually want to keep and have fun with. 

Aoishi #19 Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23298 battles
  • [THEDL] THEDL

View PostTungstenHitman, on 14 November 2019 - 11:52 PM, said:

Then definitely pick up the SP1C you'll really like it and the tier8 HWK something something is just a better version with even more view range and irons out a lot of the SP1C's failings. Thankfully I never had the SP1C prior to it's nerf so I never noticed the loss of that auto loader it once had but as usual, just like the tier6 derp German tank and  Chinese tier6 auto loader, WG axed the lot and gave them all some generic boring gun to grind passed rather than actually want to keep and have fun with. 

I already have the RU 251, with no interest in progressing. Very close to 3 marking the HWK 12.

TungstenHitman #20 Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:57 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 30766 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

View PostAoishi, on 14 November 2019 - 10:54 PM, said:

I already have the RU 251, with no interest in progressing. Very close to 3 marking the HWK 12.

Best of luck, you can do it! I LOVE a passive scout tank too btw but I'm hipster so find light tanks are for noobs :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users