• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:47 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 30786 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

Hi

No I'm not the one giving this crash course, I'm looking for one. I found FL meh and tedious to say the least but things probably changed a lot since I played the first few offerings and with a new offering on the horizon, I think I want to give it a chance again and use it to grind some crew more than anything with a side order of credits while I'm at it.

Anyway, I had no real idea how to play it back then and I certainly don't at this stage. I was only damage dealing as my primary source of gaining ranks but that's probably all wrong and you guys are veterans of this mode now so I'm looking for top tip on how to most efficiently and most quickly get through the ranks and to general during a battle as quickly and as efficiently as possible. 

What should a player primarily focus on doing during a battle the most to gain ranks?

What is the best secondary thing to be focusing on and so on, in order of importance with regards to gaining ranks?

Is tooning an advantage or does it get penalized with a tougher opposition?

What other important ingredients(apart from using OP premium tanks) work best in FL to race up the ranks?

Thanks guys.

SaintMaddenus #2 Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:06 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38874 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Capping and decapping get most exp.  

Defending, Camping the flanks where you can see the cap often works unless you are up against a team that realises that they have to clear a flank first... about 1 in 4 teams that is. 

Capping, clear the flank first then cap.  Don't rush in too fast in a heavy because your team will rarely clear the flanks...

playing in toon is good as you know that at least two players might work with you.   Massive advantage in some cases.

However Mine may not be the best advice as I don't often make general as I am overly aggressive. 

Learn some sweet spots.  Learn when NOT to rush in.    Most important for all players.   DO NOT DESTROY objectives too fast.   Take all points first.  In terms of FL rewards winning makes no difference.  you get more credits etc for winning but NOT the FL exp.  the best rewards actually come from the FL exp gains.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74420 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Ranks is all about playing the objective. So sitting back farming damage in a TD, it will go slower vs doing half the damage and doing cap or resetting cap. And once you get to the objectives. Ignore them. You don't get less ranks for losing. And you don't get ranks faster by doing damage to those vs a normal target.

As the attacker, playing lights or meds is great. I've gone from B to A to D to E to C to F and gotten General with less than 1000 damage just by capping bases. As the more you cap alone, the more rank you get. The engineering tool is vital to get those points fast.

And as defending, go for meds, TDs or HTs. As anything with more than 1 slot. So having arty strike or bomb strike on one is not a bad idea. So you can use it on the cap without going in and doing bad trades to get a fast rank boost. Once someone caps you can lock it with the engineering tool, much like encounter. So each cap point blocked gives you rank points. Tho only a few caps allow you to do that safe from fire. But if they are distracted, just run right in, or get in their faces with your HT if you have support and they don't. As then you block cap and get a bit of extra points. Personally I have that on meds, lights and HTs to cap fast and block it. And clip guns are perfect for defenders. It's why the Progetto is great for FL, as he can get 3 fast shots in and get a nice rank boost and get out. Vs just getting a high damage shot in on a long reload before the target dies in cap.

You also get ranks on doing damage to targets that are close to objectives vs when they cap. But it's ofc a way smaller boost.

TDs I only played defending. Using a recon/arty or bomber/arty combo. Spotting cap and reseting as I can. F and turret 5 on the old map have given me the fastest jumps. Even more so if your recon plane spots 6 guns behind smoke capping, and you get all the assist on them + points for doing damage to targets in cap yourself.

Other than that just play the map. Explore. Take note of where others are or usually go. Find the "meta" in each grid so you can plan your actions based on it. As 9 out 10 rounds, most do the same thing as the 3 rounds before. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 15 November 2019 - 01:40 PM.

Homer_J #4 Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:39 PM

Field Marshal

• 32940 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
My top tip - play regular randoms.

TungstenHitman #5 Posted 15 November 2019 - 03:00 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 30786 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

View PostBalc0ra, on 15 November 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

As the attacker, playing lights or meds is great. I've gone from B to A to D to E to C to F and gotten General with less than 1000 damage just by capping bases. As the more you cap alone, the more rank you get. The engineering tool is vital to get those points fast.

Does this capping only count if you actually successfully cap or do you still get rewarded for lets say, capping for 99% of the required time capping time but got nuked just before a successful cap so didn't actually get the cap? Also, can a player pinch a lot of capping xp by just jumping into a cap seconds before it's capped or does the actual amount of time spent capping get rewarded accordingly? In other words can you be a sort of "cap poacher" whereby some teammates capped for almost the entire cap required but you come along and jump in at the last second and get the same amount of xp as those who sat in the cap for minutes?

View PostBalc0ra, on 15 November 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

Using a recon/arty or bomber/arty combo. Spotting cap and reseting as I can. F and turret 5 on the old map have given me the fastest jumps. Even more so if your recon plane spots 6 guns behind smoke capping, and you get all the assist on them + points for doing damage to targets in cap yourself.

How does selecting and using those recon and arty consumables during a live battle work out, is it a smooth and seamless operation or awkward and clumsy?

pecopad #6 Posted 15 November 2019 - 03:31 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29785 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

Don't play it, that's the only thing you need to know.

FL is for the hard grinding crew, its not a game its more a work.

Balc0ra #7 Posted 15 November 2019 - 03:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74420 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTungstenHitman, on 15 November 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

Does this capping only count if you actually successfully cap or do you still get rewarded for lets say, capping for 99% of the required time capping time but got nuked just before a successful cap so didn't actually get the cap? Also, can a player pinch a lot of capping xp by just jumping into a cap seconds before it's capped or does the actual amount of time spent capping get rewarded accordingly? In other words can you be a sort of "cap poacher" whereby some teammates capped for almost the entire cap required but you come along and jump in at the last second and get the same amount of xp as those who sat in the cap for minutes?

Only when you successfully cap. As in the more points you get for that cap, the bigger the jump on rank once it gets to 100%. So if you get in late, you won't get much vs if you do 60 points alone before it turns to a +3 etc. Thus why engineering tool is not a bad idea. As that makes the cap go faster. So you get more points alone faster before the rest gets in there. So no you can't poach it if you will. So it's a bit of a risk = reward balance on when you go in if you are the first one.

View PostTungstenHitman, on 15 November 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

How does selecting and using those recon and arty consumables during a live battle work out, is it a smooth and seamless operation or awkward and clumsy?

They are placed on keys 6 to 8. Recon, bomb, smoke screen and arty takes you into arty view and you place it on the map. As in what direction the recon or bomb strike will go etc. So you are taken out of the battle when placing it if you will. But the marker more or less appears where you aim. So if you aim at a target and press 7, it will jump to it. So a bit of both tbh. Tho keep in mind that the recon plane only gives you assist, and rank points for it IF it's placed within your radio range. But arty and bomb strikes don't have to be. So if you use it on the cap on the other lanes over a km away, you will still get defense points.

Others like the morale boost etc are just like a consumable, and work instantly. While the engineering tool is passive and always works.

Tho... a life hack if you will is to keep one up as I like to do when defending in TD's. Say on turret 5 and I have a target outside my render range. If I move the bomb strike towards it, he will show all the targets. If you are fast enough out into sniper mode from the arty view, the delay will still show tanks outside your render range for half a second, so you can place your "blind shots" more accurately at long range. Or just to look where he sits exactly and what side he has vs you near a rock etc so you can set the blind shots up better even if you don't get in before the delay.

Edited by Balc0ra, 15 November 2019 - 04:03 PM.

TungstenHitman #8 Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:05 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 30786 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G
Ya I'll probably make a bags of it I should imagine. I was really clumsy with the airstrikes and arty etc in Steel Hunter it was like "Ok I click here and then I have to turn the direction so the air strike comes this way.... excuse me sir would you mind not moving please I'm trying to bomb your tank and it takes me a while!!! Can't you see I suck at this?! God some people of have no patience honestly!" 

Balc0ra #9 Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74420 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTungstenHitman, on 15 November 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

Ya I'll probably make a bags of it I should imagine. I was really clumsy with the airstrikes and arty etc in Steel Hunter it was like "Ok I click here and then I have to turn the direction so the air strike comes this way.... excuse me sir would you mind not moving please I'm trying to bomb your tank and it takes me a while!!! Can't you see I suck at this?! God some people of have no patience honestly!" 

Well luckily when they cap, they are in the same spots 9 out 10 times when not spotted. And when capping they don't move that much when spotted. So that helps.

geoff99 #10 Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 43352 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Very helpful Balc0ra, thanks :great:

I find FL as dull as f, and can play as much as one game in a row without having to bang my head against a wall, but your tips will be very helpful if/when I can motivate myself to play again.

Long_Range_Sniper #11 Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:32 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38017 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

If a tank is about a balance between armour, firepower and mobility, then Frontlines is mobility, firepower and armour in that order.

Over time the faster, harder hitting vehicles do better.

Balc0ra #12 Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74420 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 15 November 2019 - 04:32 PM, said:

If a tank is about a balance between armour, firepower and mobility, then Frontlines is mobility, firepower and armour in that order.

Over time the faster, harder hitting vehicles do better.

Mobility and DPM will get your further in FL then Armor and alpha tbh. As the better your ability to react fast, the better you will end up more so than not.

Long_Range_Sniper #13 Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:39 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38017 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostBalc0ra, on 15 November 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

Mobility and DPM will get your further in FL then Armor and alpha tbh. As the better your ability to react fast, the better you will end up more so than not.

I'm assuming you're agreeing with me rather than disagreeing with me, as that is what I said.

TargetX75 #14 Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:13 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20768 battles
even made general in arty only a couple of times. not purely arty, but also using the airstrike/artillery barrage. especially when there are numerous enemy tanks capping. air strike to track them, and send a shell in there for max effect. in one such instance think I jumped two ranks with one shot

OrtegaSLO #15 Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 43720 battles
  • [U-WOT] U-WOT

View PostTungstenHitman, on 15 November 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

Hi

No I'm not the one giving this crash course, I'm looking for one. I found FL meh and tedious to say the least but things probably changed a lot since I played the first few offerings and with a new offering on the horizon, I think I want to give it a chance again and use it to grind some crew more than anything with a side order of credits while I'm at it.

Anyway, I had no real idea how to play it back then and I certainly don't at this stage. I was only damage dealing as my primary source of gaining ranks but that's probably all wrong and you guys are veterans of this mode now so I'm looking for top tip on how to most efficiently and most quickly get through the ranks and to general during a battle as quickly and as efficiently as possible. 

What should a player primarily focus on doing during a battle the most to gain ranks?

What is the best secondary thing to be focusing on and so on, in order of importance with regards to gaining ranks?

Is tooning an advantage or does it get penalized with a tougher opposition?

What other important ingredients(apart from using OP premium tanks) work best in FL to race up the ranks?

Thanks guys.

thats simple. The only thing you realy need is enginering maxed on all played tanks!!!.
If you play as a defender. Try to decap as much as possible. Shoot one, shoot another never the same. 
So you decap all of them and get all the points.

Get into the cap if there are more enemys caping. Try to stay alive for as long as possible. 
If u are attacker. Try to win caps.

Thats about it.

Damage does not count so much. I had a lot of generals with 5k damage. :)

With this tactics you can get 3-5 levels with 20 boosters.
And wonder why you are general when most of your team are privates.

Edited by OrtegaSLO, 15 November 2019 - 08:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users