15-0 no more?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

gunslingerXXX #1 Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 13170 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

So there seems to be a lot of steamrolls in current WoT. Personally I think it's not that bad yet, but sometimes you just get those roll-streaks which are no fun at all. 

This got me thinking, would it be OK for you if WG adresses this with what I call catch up (ketchup) mode?

I remember for games like need for speed in the past, you were better off driving the first 5 laps a little slow behind the AI car, speed up the last lap and win, rather then going all out first part and getting overtaken by AI just before the end. I tried this a few times and found that the first allows you to win races with much slower overall race time while the latter, faster race, often resulted in defeat. 

So basically, WG could adjust RNG based on the game standings. (e.g. if you are 8-2 in the lead, you get worse RNG and the enemy gets better RNG).

How would feel about this? I know finding out the catch up mechanism kind of ruined NFS for me, but it would result in more close games...  It might give a challenge to the ones ahead, and a stimulance to keep playing for the ones behind. 

Or am I just being dumb right now?

prskanje #2 Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:20 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4193 battles
  • [NCTRL] NCTRL
You can't compare those two things, firstly because there are no AIs in random battles and secondly, it would always be an unfair advantage for someone, to further rely on RNG rather on his skill to win.

gunslingerXXX #3 Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:24 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 13170 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
The NFS reference was meant as example, not to compare. I agree it feels somewhat unfair at first, but if its clearly communicated you might consider it automatic difficulty adjustment. Also it has to be done with only small effect, but it could help I think.

Neodymium9 #4 Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:29 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20006 battles
Ah yes those steamrolls,don't worry about them,their part of the programming,you will win eventually a lot of games in a row,even if you don't do anything.

SaintMaddenus #5 Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:36 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38874 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

"you will win eventually a lot of games in a row,even if you don't do anything. "

Though with some players you may be better if if they didn't do anything rather than move and you think they are going to have a positive impact.... I e shoot something.   Ok sometimes craphappens and you get one shot before you can crack one off.... however that's rarer than being so crap( or -2 mm and didn't read the set up / map movement properly )

tajj7 #6 Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28447 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

WOT is a frustrating game as it is, adding more RNG because you are winning seems horrible. 

Imagine if you are trying to do a mission or chasing MOEs etc. and just because you have done well in the game and are ahead of the enemy all your shots stat missing or bouncing.

Horrible idea IMO.

Steamrolls are just a consequence of the game's nature and poor players. 

Adjusting tank balance, tank type matching and having balanced maps is about the best you can do IMO to reduce the number of one sided games but they will always be there. 

gunslingerXXX #7 Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 13170 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
Well I would suggest instead of +25 -25%, to narrow the range say +15 to -25% for the team ahead and the reverse for the team behind, not to increase the RNG.

Dava_117 #8 Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:27 PM

Major General

• 23050 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 15 November 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

So there seems to be a lot of steamrolls in current WoT. Personally I think it's not that bad yet, but sometimes you just get those roll-streaks which are no fun at all. 

This got me thinking, would it be OK for you if WG adresses this with what I call catch up (ketchup) mode?

I remember for games like need for speed in the past, you were better off driving the first 5 laps a little slow behind the AI car, speed up the last lap and win, rather then going all out first part and getting overtaken by AI just before the end. I tried this a few times and found that the first allows you to win races with much slower overall race time while the latter, faster race, often resulted in defeat. 

So basically, WG could adjust RNG based on the game standings. (e.g. if you are 8-2 in the lead, you get worse RNG and the enemy gets better RNG).

How would feel about this? I know finding out the catch up mechanism kind of ruined NFS for me, but it would result in more close games...  It might give a challenge to the ones ahead, and a stimulance to keep playing for the ones behind. 

Or am I just being dumb right now?

I hate catch up mechanics. Made me dislike Mario Kart 7!

If I'm good enought to get 2 lap ahead of you, I deserve to get that distance, not an AI that became faster to reach you. That is just poor AI programming masked by extra challenge.

Balc0ra #9 Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74420 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Considering all the "rigged MM" topics. This won't make it better when people know the enemy can't low roll or vs them. And they do on every shot vs them, just because they lead.

I hated the rubber banding in NFS 2015 when it came. It made the AI terrible. Either they went 350km/h in a stock 240 when you did lead to catch you, taking turns like they were on rails. Or they hardly went 120 km/h and drifted wide in turns as you crashed and trailed behind vs just going what they should go. Once that was patched out, it became way better and more fun. Not more fun when the AI did "pitty" you for dropping down a spot or two.

Even if they did add this, it would not make it go away, nor make the game more fun for most. Or make them rage less. As for some, be it a 15-0 or 15-13. A loss is still a loss.

Edited by Balc0ra, 15 November 2019 - 05:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users