• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

NeoZe #1 Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:41 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 20183 battles
  • [RED_T] RED_T

Simple question:

Why do we have this stupid Aimin Circle with and armor indicator, that shows you, if you can penetrate or not (green, yellow, red).

This feature, hurts the game so very badly, like the dungeon browser in world of Warcraft.

In the past, it always was about experience and skill, to know where to aim, but without such a stupid, casual arcadish feature, that directly shows you, if you can pen or not.

Its one of the reasons, why this game is no serious E-Sports product to me and the whole world.

As example, League of Legends reworkd most all CHAMPS today, and changed all "click and bait" skills, with "skillshots" abilities. This makes the game harder for everyone, but on the other side, it rewards players for being good and being skilled, exactly what every E-Sport games need!

In World of Tanks, this "clickbait" armor indicator ruins the game experience and also, compared with the new meta, where everyone is using special ammo or high penetration standard rounds, armor became totaly obsolete.

Its one of the core mechanics, to face a tank and you have to know, where to shot, to know its weakpoints, without getting led by a stupid, colored system, thats shows you exactly, where you can pen and where not.

Sry, but this is way to arcade like and i dont see this being good in the game, makes it feel like a stupid, cheap browser or Facebook game.

The trend in generel is going back to more complexity, because this casualising and making games as easy as possible, is ruining most gaming experiences today. EA and Blizzard facing this fact the hard way today and try to desperadly find a way back, to more challenging and complexe gameplays.

Can anyone explain me, when this feature came into world of tanks and ffs… why???

I realy hope, some devs reading this post and maybe star a braingstorming to realize, how and why this feature is damaging the gameplay in world of tanks so much!

(Iam a good WOT player, so this is not a random complain, iam a developer aswell and in terms of gameplay mechanics, this hurts the game so very much)

cheers NeoZe

barison1 #2 Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:50 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 44531 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

been marking kv5 past week, blocked 1.7k dmg on average and can count on 1 hand how often people really shot the r2d2 which would be a obvious weakspot considering the aim marker. seems people still just plain shoot a tank somewhere without really using the color system of it, was able to make so many stupid moves and get away with it. even when facehugging they had plain no clue and just shot upperplate or highly angled side

imo it didnt ruin wot

Edited by barison1, 17 November 2019 - 02:50 PM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #3 Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:59 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9307 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Doesn't it have that penetration indicator for like... multiple years now?

And only now does someone whine about it?

BR33K1_PAWAH #4 Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7634 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
You don't need an armor indicator to know to aim for lower plate and cupola.
14:01 Added after 1 minute

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 17 November 2019 - 04:59 PM, said:

Doesn't it have that penetration indicator for like... multiple years now?

And only now does someone whine about it?

Spoiler

Miepie #5 Posted 17 November 2019 - 03:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4753 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Apply a camo that consists of alternating red and green pixels so your opponents don't know which colour their aiming reticle is. Fixed! :great:

Bigtime_Alarm #6 Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21828 battles

Actually you have misunderstood the penetration indicator  - in my experience

Green = 99% chance of bounce

Yellow  = 100% chance of bounce

Red = 100% chance of bounce and 99% chance he will hit your tracks and ammo and do max damage in return

Nishi_Kinuyo #7 Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:23 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9307 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostBigtime_Alarm, on 17 November 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

Actually you have misunderstood the penetration indicator  - in my experience

Green = 99% chance of bounce

Red = 100% chance of bounce and 99% chance he will hit your tracks and ammo and do max damage in return

You do know that the penetration indicator only calculates raw thickness right, and not angle of impact?

Homer_J #8 Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:27 PM

Field Marshal

• 32930 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNeoZe, on 17 November 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Can anyone explain me, when this feature came into world of tanks

It was there when I joined in the 2nd half of beta.

Did you only just find out about it?

ValkyrionX #9 Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:40 PM

Major

• 54604 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

What would be the point of removing the marker indicating penetration?

I keep it active but being a player with long experience I well know the armor of all the tanks and I know when and how to penetrate an opponent regardless of the marker.

A new player needs it , believe me.

NekoPuffer_PPP #10 Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34868 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 17 November 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

You do know that the penetration indicator only calculates raw thickness right, and not angle of impact?

^^^THIS IS WRONG^^^THIS IS WRONG^^^

It's such a common misconception, only because people don't pay attention when aiming at angled surfaces.

Aim at the lower plate of an IS-7. The marker will mostly be yellow or red.

Now aim at the lower plate when the IS-7 is cresting a ridge. The marker will be green. Very green.

People think that, because a "green shot" bounced, the indicator is broken...WRONG - your shell didn't hit the center of the aiming circle (it almost never does) and hit a more angled part of the tank, therefore bouncing.

I can't believe people think the indicator turning green means "guaranteed pen"... IT DOESN'T - it means the precise point of the armor your crosshair is on can be penetrated, I mean the exact PIXEL the crosshair is over.

It doesn't take much to put two and two together and figure out that the indicator only calculates the single thin line of fire and angle of the armor you're shooting at, and not the penetration chance within the entire aiming circle...JUST THAT SINGLE POINT IN THE CENTER!!! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Btw @OP - no, it's a good thing, it's easier to learn what parts of the enemy's armor can be penetrated and at what angles, without having to go to tanksgg for example.

Nishi_Kinuyo #11 Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:08 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9307 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 17 November 2019 - 10:53 PM, said:

^^^THIS IS WRONG^^^THIS IS WRONG^^^

It's such a common misconception, only because people don't pay attention when aiming at angled surfaces.

Aim at the lower plate of an IS-7. The marker will mostly be yellow or red.

Now aim at the lower plate when the IS-7 is cresting a ridge. The marker will be green. Very green.

People think that, because a "green shot" bounced, the indicator is broken...WRONG - your shell didn't hit the center of the aiming circle (it almost never does) and hit a more angled part of the tank, therefore bouncing.

I can't believe people think the indicator turning green means "guaranteed pen"... IT DOESN'T - it means the precise point of the armor your crosshair is on can be penetrated, I mean the exact PIXEL the crosshair is over.

It doesn't take much to put two and two together and figure out that the indicator only calculates the single thin line of fire and angle of the armor you're shooting at, and not the penetration chance within the entire aiming circle...JUST THAT SINGLE POINT IN THE CENTER!!! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Btw @OP - no, it's a good thing, it's easier to learn what parts of the enemy's armor can be penetrated and at what angles, without having to go to tanksgg for example.

Okay, maybe I'm wrong about that then.

What about overmatch, does it calculate that?

NekoPuffer_PPP #12 Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:14 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34868 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 18 November 2019 - 12:08 AM, said:

Okay, maybe I'm wrong about that then.

What about overmatch, does it calculate that?

Yes it does. :)

Aim at the top of an IS-3's turret (the 20mm roof plate) and the marker will be green. It's at an extreme angle but since you can overmatch the armor and penetrate, the marker will be green. :great:

Bora_BOOM #13 Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:30 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 29130 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

Do not forget the +- 25% RNG on pen rolls so you might not pen even if it is green and you hit the dead center.

Edited by Bora_BOOM, 17 November 2019 - 11:31 PM.

wEight_Tanker #14 Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11539 battles
  • [VI90M] VI90M

Green = 50% chance of bounce

Red = When out of silhouette

Fixed.

NekoPuffer_PPP #15 Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34868 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostwEight_Tanker, on 18 November 2019 - 12:39 AM, said:

Green = 50% chance of bounce

Red = When out of silhouette

Fixed.

Err, no.

Green = 100% chance to pen

Yellow = 99-1% chance to pen

Red = 0% chance to pen

People...please... :facepalm: I'm shocked.

Bulldog_Drummond #16 Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33576 battles

View Postbarison1, on 17 November 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

been marking kv5 past week, blocked 1.7k dmg on average and can count on 1 hand how often people really shot the r2d2 which would be a obvious weakspot considering the aim marker. seems people still just plain shoot a tank somewhere without really using the color system of it, was able to make so many stupid moves and get away with it. even when facehugging they had plain no clue and just shot upperplate or highly angled side

imo it didnt ruin wot

I always liked my KV5 and even these days it's amazing how much incoming it can bounce.

wEight_Tanker #17 Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11539 battles
  • [VI90M] VI90M

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 17 November 2019 - 11:57 PM, said:

Err, no.

Green = 100% chance to pen

Yellow = 99-1% chance to pen

Red = 0% chance to pen

People...please... :facepalm: I'm shocked.

Did they ever teach sarcasm in your school?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users