WW2 Steam Casual Gaming

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

_PzKpfw_VII #1 Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:50 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2481 battles
  • [B-MBT] B-MBT

This probably belongs in the off-topic section of the forum but i dont think it gets quite as much viewing traffic as general discussion and id like to get as much attention to this thread as possible to achieve the purpose of this thread.

id like to setup a casual gaming group (as far i know ive not come across one in the forums yet) for those of you who would be interested in playing WW2 games on Steam with other WoT players. i think it would be nice to see some of us coming together for gaming sessions outside of WoT, make some new friends and enjoy some casual gaming away from the usual monotony of random battles, ranked, frontlines etc. theres a number of pretty good WW2 games on Steam that i think a few of you would enjoy if youre into the WW2 genre. i have linked the web pages from the Steam website below so you guys can take a look and see if youre interested in joining up. the games in that ive chosen are great fun and do require a level of engagement. although there are many WW2 genre games on Steam not all of them are suited to everyones tastes and even i find some of them a little boring due to the type of game they are, for example the Hearts of Iron series. however the games in this list, im hoping would appeal to some of you. i dont own all of these games but i would happily part with my WoT funds to buy some of these if some of you are genuinely interested in playing them / already play them. 

Heroes & Generals - its a free to play FPS so its easily the best choice for any of you to get your hands on and enjoy getting stuck into some action. i understand that F2P can be a little P2W in some aspects but this game is easily a good choice if youre a fan of FPS games and dont have money to spend. it is a little grindy but with a team of people to play with it becomes a lot easier to gain levels and upgrades. you can use bicycles/motor bikes, cars, halftracks, tanks, planes and customize your soldier with weapons and equipment and camouflages. there is also a global war you can participate in fighting as Germany, USA or USSR, link to webpage - https://store.steampowered.com/app/227940/Heroes__Generals/

HELL LET LOOSE - this is a one time purchase FPS, this is fairly new to the scene and has been getting some good reviews, im tempted to buy this when i can but id like to see how it picks up after a little while before commiting. its involves large scale battles of 100 players and features supplies based gameplay too, great visuals and vehicle warfare, link to webpage - https://store.steampowered.com/app/686810/Hell_Let_Loose/

Men of War Assault Squad 2 - this is a one time purchase RTS game, with 3rd person control elements and extremely in depth realism. i have over 600 hours play time and easily my go to game for WW2 genre gaming. all controllable units have individual inventories meaning you can tell a soldier to pick up a dead soldiers weapons or loot their ammo and equipment for your own gain, units can run out of ammo and therefore need to be kept resupplied during long extended firefights. there are tanks and on some maps war ships which can all be garrisoned by infantry and directly controlled by YOU, moving around, firing guns from tank guns or the coaxial/bow/roof mounted machine guns. planes are also present but are very difficult to control with the clunky direct controls but still useful when controlled by AI. it also has full Steam workshop support for mods and a very active and diverse modding community and library (believe it or not someone is creating a Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl campaign using the games engine), link to webpage - https://store.steampowered.com/app/244450/Men_of_War_Assault_Squad_2/

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - this is a one time purchase FPS game, again similar to HELL LET LOOSE, Battlefield, Forgotten Hope etc. featuring first person tank warfare, realistic ballistics system and persistent player progression and full Steam workshop mod support, link to webpage - https://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/Red_Orchestra_2_Heroes_of_Stalingrad_with_Rising_Storm/

Foxhole - this is a one time purchase 3rd person shooter MMO game, not so well known and even a recent discovery to myself despite being released in 2017. although not entirely historically set in WW2 it has a very strong WW2 vibe in its aesthetics. this game looks like a lot of fun and very interesting featuring sandbox style gameplay as you build bases, set up and run supplies to the frontlines and take part in assaults with hundreds of other players in a persistent ongoing war, link to webpage - https://store.steampowered.com/app/505460/Foxhole/

Sudden Strike 4 - this is a one time purchase RTS game, it has the same kind of feel as the Company of Heroes series without the base building aspect, an arcadey feel so no realistic ballistics system but does offer the abilities to exploit weak points on tank like flanking the sides and rear so more suited to the casual players who just want to enjoy the action. features combat using infantry, tanks and planes and special abilities based on the generals you chose (Rommel, Montgomery, Patton etc.) link to webpage - https://store.steampowered.com/app/373930/Sudden_Strike_4/

Post Scriptum - this is a one time purchase FPS game, another relatively new discovery for myself but also looks really enjoyable with very nice graphics and gameplay, featuring infantry and tank warfare with a high tactical approach to its gameplay and gritty visuals, link to webpage - https://store.steampowered.com/app/736220/Post_Scriptum/

Day of Infamy - this is a one time purchase FPS game, another Battlefield with their own take on the WW2 FPS genre, features player customization, persistent player progression, teamwork based gameplay and appealing graphics as well as full Steam workshop mod support, link to webpage - https://store.steampowered.com/app/447820/Day_of_Infamy/

Addition - Zombie Army Trilogy - this is a one time purchase FPS game, a Left 4 Dead style shooter featuring ZOMBIES! simple and straight forward shooter all about killing nazi zombies with some customization elements, cooperative play and 16 player multiplayer, link to webpage - https://store.steampowered.com/app/301640/Zombie_Army_Trilogy/

There are quite a few other games out there with multiplayer however i feel they didnt quite cater to a wide audience but thats just my opinion. naturally most of these games in the list are first person shooters as most RTS games tend to fill a particular niche in the market and dont always appeal to everyone. i have left out the Company of Heroes titles as i feel the title has lost its appeal to many gamers with how the devs approached a lot of the changes in gameplay with CoH2 and their marketing with the expensive DLC spam, also because a lot of you guys have already played Company of Heroes and the series seems to have died off over time. however if some of you are willing to get together and play Company of Heroes 1, which is the better game imo, im more than happy to do so, and i have the Blitzkrieg mod which was recently ported to the Steam store due to its popularity over the vanilla game. if i missed any others you feel would be good to add to the list feel free to share.

if you guys are interested in creating a gaming group with me to play any of these games, feel free to PM me on WoT forums and we can go from there

Edited by _PzKpfw_VII, 17 November 2019 - 06:31 PM.

Balc0ra #2 Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74420 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
FYI: Company of Heroes 2 is free on steam today.

Erwin_Von_Braun #3 Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 43253 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Zombie Army Trilogy?

Not strictly a WWII game, but tonnes of themed fun :izmena:

_PzKpfw_VII #4 Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2481 battles
  • [B-MBT] B-MBT

View PostBalc0ra, on 17 November 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

FYI: Company of Heroes 2 is free on steam today.

Holy cow so it is :D goes to show the state of the CoH series, ive never seen a title like this go 100% discounted. guess theyre trying to attract new players in the hopes they;; enjoy the game and buy the DLCs. but saldy on this laptop i inherited i cant play CoH2 for some reason, doesnt agree with the drivers, not that i bothered as it wasnt anywhere near as good as CoH1 or Blitzkrieg mod.

Anyways, there you go guys, better get in quick to get your hands on Company of Heroes 2 if you fancy playing together though unfortunately i wont be able to take part in that

joon7an #5 Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6427 battles
  • [KPY] KPY
Hmm... while I don't own any of these I like the idea and would totally take apart in it.

Would we organise it from the forums or something else Ig: Discord?

_PzKpfw_VII #6 Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2481 battles
  • [B-MBT] B-MBT

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 17 November 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

Zombie Army Trilogy?

Not strictly a WWII game, but tonnes of themed fun :izmena:

truthfully, i completely overlooked this the entire time since its release... ever since Call of Duty nazi zombies and Left 4 Dead popularised the zombie genre, the gaming world started getting spammed with really bad zombie survival games to the point it turned me off from the genre entirely. i have added this to the list :great:

Erwin_Von_Braun #7 Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:39 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 43253 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post_PzKpfw_VII, on 17 November 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

truthfully, i completely overlooked this the entire time since its release... ever since Call of Duty nazi zombies and Left 4 Dead popularised the zombie genre, the gaming world started getting spammed with really bad zombie survival games to the point it turned me off from the genre entirely. i have added this to the list :great:

:honoring:

_PzKpfw_VII #8 Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2481 battles
  • [B-MBT] B-MBT

View Postjoon7an, on 17 November 2019 - 06:29 PM, said:

Hmm... while I don't own any of these I like the idea and would totally take apart in it.

Would we organise it from the forums or something else Ig: Discord?

so far i own Men of War, Company of Heroes, Red Orchestra (not played it yet) Heroes & Generals and alpha early access game called Trenches WIP, but thats got a long time to go yet before its worth playing. as far as organizing goes, i would say whatever platform works best for the majority of players, so if discord is the most popular then thats where we can start. though i only used discord once as i was mainly using teamspeak3 with the ppl i played with few years ago

Balc0ra #9 Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74420 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Post_PzKpfw_VII, on 17 November 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

Holy cow so it is :D goes to show the state of the CoH series, ive never seen a title like this go 100% discounted.

It's not the first time. Tho last time it was via Humble Bundle. But when steam does it. It's mostly on old games. Not go boost population, but to sell DLC's. As if you want to play UK or US, it will cost you.

_PzKpfw_VII #10 Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2481 battles
  • [B-MBT] B-MBT

View PostBalc0ra, on 17 November 2019 - 06:57 PM, said:

It's not the first time. Tho last time it was via Humble Bundle. But when steam does it. It's mostly on old games. Not go boost population, but to sell DLC's. As if you want to play UK or US, it will cost you.

ive not seen a humble bundle sale in a very long time.... considering how the devs wanted to release CoH2 and then spam an unbelievable amount of DLC at those prices, i was surprised to see CoH2 going for FREE... but then again, im also not surprised, the title has effectively died imo, and i think if they were to attempt to release a CoH3, it would be met with a lot of skepticism and theyd have their work cut out for them if they wanted to bring life back into the title, which is a shame because CoH1 back in the day was a great game for the WW2 genre fans

Alabamatick #11 Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:03 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 31849 battles

View Post_PzKpfw_VII, on 17 November 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

Holy cow so it is :D goes to show the state of the CoH series, ive never seen a title like this go 100% discounted. guess theyre trying to attract new players in the hopes they;; enjoy the game and buy the DLCs. but saldy on this laptop i inherited i cant play CoH2 for some reason, doesnt agree with the drivers, not that i bothered as it wasnt anywhere near as good as CoH1 or Blitzkrieg mod.

Anyways, there you go guys, better get in quick to get your hands on Company of Heroes 2 if you fancy playing together though unfortunately i wont be able to take part in that

Actually it was free at least once before, i would tell you exactly when but i just checked and i can't find the install date due to the crap new steam library ui :sceptic:

Edit: just checked again and found it, i installed it Dec 06 2018, new library ui is still crap

Edited by Alabamatick, 18 November 2019 - 02:14 AM.

_PzKpfw_VII #12 Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:33 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2481 battles
  • [B-MBT] B-MBT

View PostAlabamatick, on 18 November 2019 - 02:03 AM, said:

Actually it was free at least once before, i would tell you exactly when but i just checked and i can't find the install date due to the crap new steam library ui :sceptic:

Edit: just checked again and found it, i installed it Dec 06 2018, new library ui is still crap

yeah the new Steam Ui is a real pain, super buggy for me right now, well i think its actually working a little better, but still, kept getting hang ups after the first several days of its release.

anyways, if i can get it to work on this laptop and some of you guys are up for playing CoH2 then ill add it to the list but i wouldnt hold my breath for those who havent purchased it and didnt download it during the free sale in time, considering the off-putting nature of the expensive DLC spam for content that shouldve been available upon release

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users