Ranked Battles - Is it just me who partially prefer this mm?

MM Matchmaking Ranked

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

RetroCh1cken #1 Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:32 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5614 battles
  • [-UM] -UM
So, I finally tried ranked battles out today, I know I'm a bit too late to the party now that the event has just ended but is it just me who had a lot more fun playing this than the normal "random battles"?

I've managed from being decent in almost every game to carrying some even, I meet people with the same skills as me and everything just feel more balanced and almost no 1-15 matches.
Also for some reason I've found ranked battles to be less toxic, don't know if it just generally causes the teams are more balanced but I've even for the first time after a tier 10 battle got complimented by another player for how I played.
I've seen people complain about how a balanced mm would make it more boring but from my experience, it doesn't seem so. For me, the battles have gotten more interesting, almost every match has ended in a close defeat/victory and for bad players, we've managed to perform better while good players won't have any "bad" players to let their team down. Seems like a win/win to me at least.

A shame though it seems like ranked battles are only an event thing when a ranked gamemode is often something a lot of games come with and lets it be available to everyone anytime, at least as an option.

I can't be the only one who at least enjoyed the change of playing a more "balanced" world of tanks?

tumppi776 #2 Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:17 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 48300 battles
  • [T-BAD] T-BAD
u missed all the balanced OP CW tanks - as theyre allreadyd done with the mode :-)

Spurtung #3 Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:25 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 74959 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View Posttumppi776, on 18 November 2019 - 05:17 AM, said:

u missed all the balanced OP CW tanks - as theyre allreadyd done with the mode :-)

Not to mention that if he just started yesterday, he was doing the 20 qualification battles, and that is pretty much as random as it gets, so I'm not sure where he got the MM he claims to have had.

DaddysLittlePrincess #4 Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:26 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29326 battles
  • [_RO] _RO

View Posttumppi776, on 18 November 2019 - 05:17 AM, said:

This. When I was doing ranked on my main account at the start of the season, it was most miserable experience (especially in 2nd week). Yesterday I started playing on my f2p account (reached rank 6 in div 2) and I must admit I had a lot of fun, even tho my tanks are not exactly "ranked meta" - t100, bc and leo.

There's huge difference in the last day:

- not many EBRs (a lot of 13 105s and sheridans, many battles without light tanks)

- 279s Chieftains are rarity 

- tactics are more similar to randoms

- a lot of clueless player doing basic mistakes 

- battles are more close, not many steamrolls

Spurtung #5 Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:32 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 74959 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostDaddysLittlePrincess, on 18 November 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

(...) (reached rank 6 in div 2) (...)

There's huge difference in the last day:

- not many EBRs (a lot of 13 105s and sheridans, many battles without light tanks)

- 279s Chieftains are rarity 

- tactics are more similar to randoms

- a lot of clueless player doing basic mistakes 

- battles are more close, not many steamrolls

You would feel very differently had you reached div1 in that other account.

stokerel #6 Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:34 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14925 battles
Nah my experience was different: same toxicity, just turned up a notch. Same steamrolls. More lemming rushes. Two artas every game, preventing camping by "not" dealing damage, 500hp a pop.
In a word: fun!

DaddysLittlePrincess #7 Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:49 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29326 battles
  • [_RO] _RO

View PostSpurtung, on 18 November 2019 - 07:32 AM, said:

You would feel very differently had you reached div1 in that other account.

Yes, I'm sure div 1 is still cancer.

MightyBalls_2 #8 Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:16 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7906 battles
  • [MITY] MITY

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 18 November 2019 - 02:32 AM, said:

So, I finally tried ranked battles out today, I know I'm a bit too late to the party now that the event has just ended but is it just me who had a lot more fun playing this than the normal "random battles"?

I've managed from being decent in almost every game to carrying some even, I meet people with the same skills as me and everything just feel more balanced and almost no 1-15 matches.
Also for some reason I've found ranked battles to be less toxic, don't know if it just generally causes the teams are more balanced but I've even for the first time after a tier 10 battle got complimented by another player for how I played.
I've seen people complain about how a balanced mm would make it more boring but from my experience, it doesn't seem so. For me, the battles have gotten more interesting, almost every match has ended in a close defeat/victory and for bad players, we've managed to perform better while good players won't have any "bad" players to let their team down. Seems like a win/win to me at least.

A shame though it seems like ranked battles are only an event thing when a ranked gamemode is often something a lot of games come with and lets it be available to everyone anytime, at least as an option.

I can't be the only one who at least enjoyed the change of playing a more "balanced" world of tanks?

No because as soon as you got to a decent level in DIV 1 you get all the fake unicums (Not all unicums, but you can see the fake ones in the matchmaking) who do not know when to use their HP and camp the whole game.until the battle is lost.

They do not trade their HP to keep their fellow conrads alive and treat it like randoms so that they can deal more damage rather than win the game even if they do little damage.

Every game is either a camp fest or a 15-0 roffle stomp if there are all real unicums on 1 side and a bunch of fakes on the other.

Or at least this was what it was like in the first week or 2 of ranked anyway. Did not want to play after that it really annoyed me.

TungstenHitman #9 Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:35 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 30766 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

Joined the RB party very late too after a few months away from WoT. 

Qualifying stage was a bit of a cesspit, really horrible to play but hey, 1 mil credits for mashing the keyboard a few times. Division 1 was really fun, much better experience for some reason. Same with div2 for what little I played of it until I got bored and didn't bother to play the last day, content with my haul of bonds for an improved vent.

So Overall, quali was trashy and tedious, enjoyed the division stages, a lot more than I thought I'd enjoy it but all positives have been ruined by arta of course which just made the experience pretty toxic and far worse than any OP tank could ever do.

RetroCh1cken #10 Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:28 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5614 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View Poststokerel, on 18 November 2019 - 07:34 AM, said:

Nah my experience was different: same toxicity, just turned up a notch. Same steamrolls. More lemming rushes. Two artas every game, preventing camping by "not" dealing damage, 500hp a pop.
In a word: fun!

Hm, weird, that's a completely different experience than I've had, wonder if it got anything to do then about what skill level I played with, maybe more skilful players are generally more toxic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View PostSpurtung, on 18 November 2019 - 05:25 AM, said:

Not to mention that if he just started yesterday, he was doing the 20 qualification battles, and that is pretty much as random as it gets, so I'm not sure where he got the MM he claims to have had.

Well I did manage to just end with div 3, rank 6, I know it's still pretty low but I did notice the tactics were strangely different than random too. Felt like both teams were mostly more "organized" in these battles. I remember in one map were my team saw we were too few on one side which resulted in them staying by the base and going defensive and went into a hull-down position. I've never seen that happen in a random battle before and we managed to win cause of that!

View PostMightyBalls_2, on 18 November 2019 - 08:16 AM, said:

No because as soon as you got to a decent level in DIV 1 you get all the fake unicums (Not all unicums, but you can see the fake ones in the matchmaking) who do not know when to use their HP and camp the whole game.until the battle is lost.

They do not trade their HP to keep their fellow conrads alive and treat it like randoms so that they can deal more damage rather than win the game even if they do little damage.

Every game is either a camp fest or a 15-0 roffle stomp if there are all real unicums on 1 side and a bunch of fakes on the other.

Or at least this was what it was like in the first week or 2 of ranked anyway. Did not want to play after that it really annoyed me.

Well I can't say anything about that since I never managed to reach div 1, and probably wouldn't but from what I've seen here it seems like the bad experience most people are talking about comes mostly from higher divs, which I myself find a bit interesting at least.
Edit: Wording

Edited by RetroCh1cken, 18 November 2019 - 10:39 AM.

stokerel #11 Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:29 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14925 battles
THanks for the compliment but I didn't play to get too far either. Just rank 12 on first division, playing ranked only this weekend, other than qualy.
Toxicity doesn't seem isolated to statistically bad players though, it's pretty evenly spread out. But that's another topic...

RetroCh1cken #12 Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:42 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5614 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View Poststokerel, on 18 November 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:

THanks for the compliment but I didn't play to get too far either. Just rank 12 on first division, playing ranked only this weekend, other than qualy.
Toxicity doesn't seem isolated to statistically bad players though, it's pretty evenly spread out. But that's another topic...

Ah, alright. Well then that might be weird then, maybe I was just lucky or the battles might be more "chill" when the ranked event is almost over anyway.

Either way, I liked it and it was something really fun and balanced which is a good change from normal wot where balance is non-existent. I do feel like it should still stay, and the normal ranked could still appear with those juicy rewards. It does generally feel like it does make it more fun to bad players though, less of the use of gold ammo, and generally, we are getting less outplayed. Something I can see different for more skilled players where they might outplay more players during random battles cause they are generally better than the average wot player. Which could make it less fun for them in ranked where they are matched against equal opponents and can't outplay them as much.

It does seem like a good solution though mostly for the complaint from better players where they complain about having bad players in their team in random battles and bad players shouldn't play tier 10 which some people throw around a lot. This way bad players are able to stay away from random battles and being the worst on the team and still being able to play tier 10 tanks and be able to learn in them and have fun having the ability to actually carry their teams more.

pecopad #13 Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:14 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29723 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

Too expensive to play..and an even worst experience than random.

Will not pay 50K to be an HP pinata

Edited by pecopad, 18 November 2019 - 05:16 PM.

Also tagged with MM, Matchmaking, Ranked

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users