Just started the grind for the wheelies

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Mr_Burrows #1 Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:52 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 49588 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

I have not bothered before, but being smacked for 5 gazillion HP by a whooshing by EBR500XTurboExtraHeavyDutyNoBS wheelie made me think that perhaps I should also be exactly that annoying. 

So I started at tier 5, by re-purchasing the AMX ELC bis.

The fate of that tank post nerf really is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. 

Anyways, should I just free XP past the tier 6 and go straight for the Hotch, or is there some forgiving gameplay to be had at tier 6? 

Laukaus #2 Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10360 battles

I noticed that wheeled vehicles really are not so fun nor OP than "common opinion" thinks. 

If I'd were you, I wouldnt spend anything for them. 

Good luck though. 

Keyzzani #3 Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:13 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 27278 battles
  • [SI-S] SI-S
Yea ELC is just a shadow of it's former self. Such a shame how they butchered that tank.

Otherwise 1788B, Hotch and Lynx are all mediocre at best. Just grind through them and forget about them after.

EBR 90 and 105 is where wheelies start to shine and become fun to play (and premium EBR 75 as well).

Ziurawka #4 Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25572 battles
  • [NLUFA] NLUFA

View PostMr_Burrows, on 18 November 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

I have not bothered before, but being smacked for 5 gazillion HP by a whooshing by EBR500XTurboExtraHeavyDutyNoBS wheelie made me think that perhaps I should also be exactly that annoying. 

The fate of that tank post nerf really is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. 

Anyways, should I just free XP past the tier 6 and go straight for the Hotch, or is there some forgiving gameplay to be had at tier 6? 

Please leave the ELC to die in peace :D 

Some like to say it's currently buffed in comparison to how it used to be, amazing right?

My reason to start the wheeled line was exactly the same as yours. I thought it was unfair that they introduce yet another obstacle for LT play. 

Skipped the tier VI and got the VII straight away. 

I have to admit it is seriously good, the HE damage is fantastic and the mobility allows for really sneaky plays. 

Don't know about the higher tiers, since they face tier X guns constantly and have the same base view range of 310.

I can imagine they have to be very situational (i.e. you can explode in the first minute).

To have any kind of fun in this vehicle you need:

• Experimental coated optics
  • Situational Awareness / Recon / BiA 
  • Food

With all of that you'll have 403 view range and it's enough most of the time. 

Thlurp #5 Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:03 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14532 battles
  • [JORM] JORM

i'm currently at tier 9 and i get worse in it.

tier 6 and 7 was a lot of fun

tier 8 was meh

the most important thing for WV's is a very good crew, like Ziurawka said:
Brothers in Arms, Situational Awareness and Recon are a MUST

i use rammer, vents and coated optics and started using food at tier9

this gets me to 414m viewrange, which works good most of the time

Long_Range_Sniper #6 Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:17 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38017 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostMr_Burrows, on 18 November 2019 - 06:52 PM, said:

I free XP'd to the tier 7, which was pretty enjoyable with the top gun. I did the Lynx in FL which was a grind but OK. I used x5 bonuses for the tier IX, and that's where I made my error. I didn't play the 75 FL 10 at all in frontlines, so I was learning how to really operate it at tier IX. Not good. 

So I went back to FL and this time played the 75 FL 10, and I'd say I'm competent at driving, but nowhere near as good as some of the streamers. Then I played the EBR 105 a fair bit in two of the CW campaigns and that's where the big difference in understanding the capability came.

I personally don't like them that much in randoms unless you're tooning, so you can synchronise spotting with your team. 

undutchable80 #7 Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:19 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 12549 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Curently on the T6 and I hate it. Most likely because I dont drive WVs that well, but what puts me off is that none of the modules carry over to the next tank, except the radio. The whole line screams freexp sink, or suffer through (semi) stock grinds, which makes these vehicles perform even worse than elited. Good luck on your journey though!

Jorous #8 Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:49 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21861 battles
  • [TPK] TPK

Tier 6 was a blast. Load a lot of HE and you are fine. Good low level to learn the wheel mechanics.

EBR was ok'ish.

Now on the Lynx, which is medicore.

PowJay #9 Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:05 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 40532 battles
You just cannot beat a Pan-galactic Gargle Blaster, can you? :)

AeyT #10 Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:25 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5959 battles

The EBR line doesn't really seem to get good until tier 9 and 10

The tier 6, 7 and non premium 8 have been mostly free damage atleast in my experience.

105 is broken though.

Baldrickk #11 Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:35 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
The tier 6 is:

Slow (for a WV - it matches other lights)
Bad at turning
Blind
Has great HE on otherwise average gun.

It's a good starting point actually. You get used to the reverse mechanic (equal speed) which the tier 7 doesn't have.
Relative to tier, it's also the best gun in the line.

TungstenHitman #12 Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:36 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 30786 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

Not sure if this is a sneaky whine thread about WV with a side order of ELCbis nerfing whine or of you're genuinely considering taking these racers on. I suppose there's no harm in trying, since T6 tanks are fast grinds and you will be a top spec in just a few battles so go for it. They don't look like something I'd enjoy and the T6->T8 seem pretty weak tanks apart from the premium of course because money, but you know, each to their own. 

Edited by TungstenHitman, 19 November 2019 - 10:20 AM.

Evilier_than_Skeletor #13 Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:14 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21118 battles
Quite liked the tier 6 and can't think of why it should be avoided. Atleast after you get the wheels that turn.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #14 Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:28 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34515 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Tier 6 was meh. 7 was pretty good actually. 8 was back to meh. 9 was good and I've not played the 10 enough to comment really but initial few games feels good so far.

Also I drive like a donkey.

tajj7 #15 Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:55 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28447 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

I free XP'd to the tier 8, which is IMO not very good, it's boxy, the view range is obviously trash and it only has the 90mm gun, which means the premium is just flat out better because it's got a better gun with the auto-loader giving it far more punch, even though it's 'on paper' smaller alpha (as it has the ability to do 350 in 1.5s, compared to 240 in one shot or 520 to 320 on the HE) and the rest of the stats being pretty similar.

But then the tier 9 is even worse, you go up a whole tier, but basically have the same gun as there is hardly any difference between the 'stock' 90mm from the Lynx and the 'top'  90mm, plus you gain 5kph top speed, 20m view range and like 200 hit points, except now you face tier 9 and 10 tanks all the time, which mans far more guns with standard APCR with fast shell velocity and top level gun handling.

Despite the whines from the community, from my experience, when you are regularly playing against tier 9 and 10 tanks, most of the meds, lights and the better gun handling heavies (say Super Conq) have little trouble hitting you unless you are 300m + from them (and you are ineffective at that range) whereas the tier 7 and 8 might be able to abuse the derpier gun handling of most tanks on tiers 6-8, the slower shell velocities, the tier 9 and 10 cannot rely on that at all, and the tier 9 being barely any faster than the tier 8 suffers from it. 

I found myself having to play very cautiously in the tier 9, most meds you face will take 40% of your HP in one hit, there are TDs than can one shot you, and your pathetic 330m view range just doesn't work against everything else that has 390 minimum to 420 base.  I ended up playing it as a very mobile support tank, looking less for spotting opportunities and more for flanking/harrassment opportunities even on more favourable spotting maps (you have to play these vehicles this way on most non-spotting maps anyway despite the claims you can just dance through the base and kill everything).

Really the tier 10 is the only one that is effective because you can make the view range usable (but even then that is using bonds equipment, food and full crew skills) and it's the fastest, and it has some alpha which means it has some punch, the tier 9 using a puny 90mm with terrible pen and terrible DPM just can't make much contribution with it's gun (unless it's a very long game) and its not that effective as an active scout. 

Cobra6 #16 Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:02 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16531 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Tier 6 is very mediocre, it's basically still a tank in terms of mobility, the gun handling is nothing special and the view range is neither.

ELC still needs it's old engine back.

Cobra 6

Long_Range_Sniper #17 Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:15 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38017 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Posttajj7, on 19 November 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

I found myself having to play very cautiously in the tier 9, most meds you face will take 40% of your HP in one hit

That was my bad. I should have gained more experience in the tier 8 premium.

FizzleMcSnizzle #18 Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:31 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20969 battles
I have finally clawed my way up to a 50% win rate in the EBR 105, having languished in the low 40s for ages. It can be a lot fun, but all the time I am whizzing around in it, I wish it didn't exist. It feels nothing like a tank game when you are playing it.

snowlywhite #19 Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26124 battles

I don't think I saw anyone doing more than 80% of what they do in their lights(combined). Talking t6-t9 wheelies. I'm randomly looking at player stats post games.

So... grind might not be too pleasant. And I really don't see how something like t6 or t8 can work.

Sure, if you get the paid actors who can't aim... might work. T9 starts to have the mobility but it's undergunned.

Dunno. Obviously I'd like the t10 but no way I'm doing that grind.

Mr_Burrows #20 Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 49588 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

I am very grateful for all the constructive input. I managed to grind 2/3 through the ELC again (having no XP left after unlocking the 12t way back) yesterday evening, and will most likely not free xp my way that much, instead training a new crew as I advance up the tech tree. Plan is to have all the wheelies researched by Christmas or so. During ranked I re-discovered just how much fun the 13-105 can be, and also how frustrating the EBR 105 can be playing against when playing a top tier light tank so ofc I want to see what it is like driving one. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users