Jump to content


T78 - strenghts, weaknesses and equipment?

T78 worth it? how to play? equipment?

  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Jethro_Grey #1 Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:35 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 4539 battles
  • 763
  • [KAIN] KAIN
  • Member since:
    08-01-2015

Yesterday, i checked the premium shop, which i do daily, and found the T78 for 14€.

Now, some may ask, why do you check the store daily? Well, it's a old habit from my old days as whale, and as you know, old habits die hard. 

 

I instantly bought the T78, the reason for this was 'ohhh, new tank, perfect for my WoT stream...' and the fact that the common sense part of my brain not reacting fast enough. :sceptic:

 

Anyways, now i have it and i'm gonna play it. 

 

On to my questions: 

1. was/ is it worth it? Or did i buy a turd? 

2. is there any reason to pick it instead of the Scorpion at TVII (which i already have) that has much better concealment? 

3. what are it's strengths?

4. what are it's weaknesses?

5. what is the recommended equipment loadout? 

6. which are the recommended crew skills? In which order? 

7. how do i play it for maximum effectiveness? Like a T67? 

8. any sikrit tipps and tricks for this tank?

9. Snuffleupagus or Cookie monster? 

 

Thx in advance! 

 



Negativvv #2 Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 13997 battles
  • 2,073
  • [KEKE] KEKE
  • Member since:
    08-08-2015

Binos Rammer then something of your choice between GLD, Camo Net and Optics I guess.

 

I haven't played mine much but it definitely doesn't play like a T67. Think it's a bit more conventional a TD, as in you camp....

 



TungstenHitman #3 Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:51 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 30766 battles
  • 6,044
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

Crew with BIA, camo, situ and recon. Food, optics, rammer, camo-net  which gives this tank just beyond full view range which means you can use it as a scout and all the other benefits of having full view range at tier6 while on the move. The camo net adds some very high camo to this TD while sniping at range using just the turret to the point that you can shoot some tanks with weaker view ranges and not get spotted at all which is obviously very good and much fun assuming the potato gun actually works. Is it good? not really no. Is it fun? I only played it for 49 battles so I guess not... even with a 73+% win rate I still stopped playing it so there must be a reason for that. 

 

It has its moments but don't get lured into thinking it can be played like a med or light tank shooting targets on the move it's simply must be fully aimed to actually have a chance of hitting a target and even at that the bloom is pretty big even when fully aimed so shots can eat the dirt more often than they should.

 

Verdict? Buy a T-34-85M


Edited by TungstenHitman, 20 November 2019 - 03:57 PM.


Jethro_Grey #4 Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:55 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 4539 battles
  • 763
  • [KAIN] KAIN
  • Member since:
    08-01-2015

View PostNegativvv, on 20 November 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

Binos Rammer then something of your choice between GLD, Camo Net and Optics I guess.

 

I haven't played mine much but it definitely doesn't play like a T67. Think it's a bit more conventional a TD, as in you camp....

 

 

View PostTungstenHitman, on 20 November 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

Crew with BIA, camo, situ and recon. Food, optics, rammer, camo-net  which gives this tank just beyond full view range which means you can use it as a scout and all the other benefits of having full view range at tier6 while on the move. The camo net adds some very high camo to this TD while sniping at range using just the turret to the point that you can shoot some tanks with weaker view ranges and not get spotted at all which is obviously very good and much fun assuming the potato gun actually works. Is it good? not really no. Is it fun? I only played it for 49 battles so I guess not... even with a 73+% win rate I still stopped playing it so there must be a reason for that. 

 

It has its moments but don't get lured into thinking it can be played like a med or light tank shooting targets on the move it's simply must be fully aimed to actually have a chance of hitting a target and even at that the bloom is pretty big even when fully aimed so shots can eat the dirt more often than they should.

 

Verdict? Buy a T-34-85M


Thx guys.

 

So, it's basically a Skorpion G without the alpha, but still needs to be played as such? 



TungstenHitman #5 Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:01 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 30766 battles
  • 6,044
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

View PostJethro_Grey, on 20 November 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

 


Thx guys.

 

So, it's basically a Skorpion G without the alpha, but still needs to be played as such? 

 

No it has lots of camo, Skorp has trash camo an exists in a higher tier with more view range so it's a lot more sensitive and vulnerable than a high camo T78 which sits 2 tiers lower and can see tier4. It's also a much smaller unit than the gigantic Skorp so it all comes together to being a much more stealthy and forgiving turreted TD by comparison. The alpha is probably tier relative though, 240 at T6 is still pretty meaty against a lot of tanks just how a Skorp will be at its tier. A skorps gun is a lot sharper for aiming time and fully aimed dispersion value but there are obvious similarities both being turreted reasonably mobile TDs but that's about all really.

 

The T78 with its small size and high camo is easy to hide which means it can double up as its own light tank for scouting and finding itself targets whereas a skorp will get wrecked for daring to try such a feat. 



pihip #6 Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:38 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 16193 battles
  • 1,308
  • Member since:
    01-11-2013
Camo crew, paintjob, rammer, binoculars and camo net.

It's a rather flavorless turreted tank destroyer, same as what you could expect from the Hellcat or Jackson, slower than the former and faster than the latter.

If you like to play TDs and enjoy Tier 6 it's not a bad investment.

SaintMaddenus #7 Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:04 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 38809 battles
  • 2,788
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    03-04-2011
I looked at that and said t6 HOW MUCH????

Blazeof #8 Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:18 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 18352 battles
  • 27
  • [THEMM] THEMM
  • Member since:
    04-08-2013

View PostTungstenHitman, on 20 November 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

 ...assuming the potato gun actually works. Is it good? not really no. Is it fun? I only played it for 49 battles so I guess not...

 

 

Pretty much this.  Mine has the added bonus of being a noob magnet



Aoishi #9 Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:57 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 23278 battles
  • 509
  • [THEDL] THEDL
  • Member since:
    03-19-2016
I used mine as a semi aggressive passive scout and got myself a kolobanovs

RamRaid90 #10 Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:21 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 26234 battles
  • 7,218
  • [DID0] DID0
  • Member since:
    12-14-2014

It's basically a slightly worse Hellcat, trading Speed for a slight DPM buff.

 

Sitting back and sniping is best, until you're needed to advace, as said t can passively scout in decent cover as it has pretty good camo when used properly.

05:23 Added after 1 minute

View PostJethro_Grey, on 20 November 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

 


Thx guys.

 

So, it's basically a Skorpion G without the alpha, but still needs to be played as such? 

 

No, Skorp G has terrible camo.


Edited by RamRaid90, 21 November 2019 - 06:22 AM.


Yaccay #11 Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:33 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 35413 battles
  • 2,395
  • [4TL] 4TL
  • Member since:
    11-21-2012

Screenshot_2019-11-21 Advanced tank information.png

 

T78, definitely worth it.

reference: http://wot-news.com/game/tankinfo/en/eu/usa/A123_T78

 



VarzA #12 Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:05 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 27270 battles
  • 2,189
  • [USAGI] USAGI
  • Member since:
    06-17-2011

View PostJethro_Grey, on 20 November 2019 - 02:35 PM, said:

Yesterday, i checked the premium shop, which i do daily, and found the T78 for 14€.

Now, some may ask, why do you check the store daily? Well, it's a old habit from my old days as whale, and as you know, old habits die hard. 

 

I instantly bought the T78, the reason for this was 'ohhh, new tank, perfect for my WoT stream...' and the fact that the common sense part of my brain not reacting fast enough. :sceptic:

 

Anyways, now i have it and i'm gonna play it. 

 

On to my questions: 

1. was/ is it worth it? Or did i buy a turd? 

2. is there any reason to pick it instead of the Scorpion at TVII (which i already have) that has much better concealment? 

3. what are it's strengths?

4. what are it's weaknesses?

5. what is the recommended equipment loadout? 

6. which are the recommended crew skills? In which order? 

7. how do i play it for maximum effectiveness? Like a T67? 

8. any sikrit tipps and tricks for this tank?

9. Snuffleupagus or Cookie monster? 

 

Thx in advance! 

 

 

It's a premium Hellcat, without the awesome gold round the Hellcat has.



Jethro_Grey #13 Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:09 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 4539 battles
  • 763
  • [KAIN] KAIN
  • Member since:
    08-01-2015

Thx for the all your replys guys, very useful and appreciated!

 

Played a few games in it yesterday and i like this Little bugger, not as much as i love my Lansen C, but still. 

 

Posted Image

 

And that despite me being a noob, and the fact that i played the tank the first two battles without any equipment or consumeables... :sceptic: 

It's about as 'mobile' as a Skorpion, albeit slower. Cresting Ridge lines can and will get punished, as it doesn't have the mobility to duck back into cover quickly (as some here already pointed out).

The gun is trollish as frak. 

Standard ammo on equal tier light tanks can bounce! Premium ammo doesn't feel premium at all unless you get a side at medium range. 

Oh, and i noticed, that i have to be fully aimed, as in, aimtime plus one second on top, to hit the target. And even then it's not guaranteed to hit the target. 

Snapping shots of at close range will result in misses. 

 

Engine gets knocked out very often sadly, ammo racks are common too. 

 

Despite all that, i like it and i'd go even as far to make a (noob) recommedation. 

 

 

 



TungstenHitman #14 Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:19 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 30766 battles
  • 6,044
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

View PostJethro_Grey, on 21 November 2019 - 11:09 AM, said:

 

 

 

 

and yet just one tier higher... look at those lovely attributes down the right side of the screenshot. Remaining nearly 20% concealed even when shooting?? Sweet mother of OP Jebus. So basically if I'm sitting it the open shooting away like a noob(every 2.3 seconds btw) a tank with full 445 view range won't see me until he gets to within 356 meters... wow just wow and I've NEVER actually played this thing yet? Better change that! Pew pew pew weeeeeeee!!

 



Jethro_Grey #15 Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:42 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 4539 battles
  • 763
  • [KAIN] KAIN
  • Member since:
    08-01-2015

View PostTungstenHitman, on 21 November 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

 

and yet just one tier higher... look at those lovely attributes down the right side of the screenshot. Remaining nearly 20% concealed even when shooting?? Sweet mother of OP Jebus. So basically if I'm sitting it the open shooting away like a noob(every 2.3 seconds btw) a tank with full 445 view range won't see me until he gets to within 356 meters... wow just wow and I've NEVER actually played this thing yet? Better change that! Pew pew pew weeeeeeee!!

 


I have the E25, and while it cost me 50€, i don't regret buying it. 

It was, next to the Type 59, on my 'most wanted' list after all. 

 

I haven't played it that much, cause after a while, it can get a bit boring. 

Tried to compensate by playing it more aggressive, which only got my tank destroyed before i could make an Impact. 

Having a no skill crew didn't help either. 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users