Anonymizer.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Actinid #1 Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:12 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 19952 battles

Hello everyone,

You can drop here your feedback and suggestions concerning the anonymizer.

Thanks in advance and have fun !

SpartA_1ah1 #2 Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 23974 battles

I have been waiting for 4 years

Thank you WG

Sael_ #3 Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:07 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 1154 battles
Posted this already in the Announcement section but it doesn't hurt to notify you here as well: there will be a micropatch soon to fix a small issue with the anonymizer. The issue is related to incorrect localizations being displayed and it will be fixed soon. :)

_cassy99 #4 Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:55 AM

Private

• Player
  • 41220 battles
  • [ORKI] ORKI

I personally think this is the worst possible feature WG could possibly implement. I mean, this is against the pure spirit of a multiplayer game, i.e. playing versus other people. If you see an "anonymous" name, what is the difference between it and a bot? It will feel like I'm not playing a mp game anymore, instead it will feel like I'm playing alone against an army of bots. And to be more incisive, what will guarantee to me that considering the steady decrease of WoT players WG will not introduce real bots into the mm, masking them with the anonymizer?

Just to clarify, I have more than 3k wn8, so I'm in that range of players that should be "helped" by this feature, but personally I would NEVER use it because focusing on a certain player is imo rather rare but mostly because I'm proud of my name and of who I am. If you play a mp game and you are afraid to show your name, well I think you should play a sp game.

And, in conclusion, to give my feedback about people who abandone a match before it's started, 9/10 times they complain in the chat about being the bottom tier, not about "unbalanced teams" (consider though that people leaving the match is a REALLY rare occurrence, and imo the mm is pretty well balanced atm).

GenAlexeyev #5 Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:29 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11978 battles

So I try to give here some constructive criticism. I am only an average player but it doesn't mean that my arguments are automatically wrong.

Hiding names

I can understand the idea, because I have seen a lot of racism in the live match chat. But have other solutions been tried? For example people could have 2 free name changes per year. Also, maybe the blacklist should be extended because some people seem to need this feature.

Hiding stats

• Negative aspects
  1. It clearly removes strategic complexity in a game that is also about strategy, but where battles with random players are rather unpredictable. Maybe I am a bit biased because as a trained scientist I am more curious, but I think the point is still valid.
  2. It does remove a "live" learning tool. Is it possible to replace it with post battle thinking? Yes. But do we really want to slow down learning in this game?
  3. Isn't there a risk that anonymised people will all become a target? After all they might have something to hide... This won't affect the top players much, but for example below average people could be over-punished as soon as they do something competent and look like a top player... This could split the player base in two and then people who show their stats could be counter-focused...
  4. It doesn't work for streamers anyway (Edit: I mean well known ones)

• Positive aspects
  1. It will reduce live toxicity, I think. But as an average player, 90% of the insults come after the batter, when people have time to write. Only when people want someone to do something urgently do they insult in battle (or for non-game related reasons...). Also, they don't always use stats as a reason to insult (I see very often good players being live-insulted by bad players because they are supposed to be playing "incorrectly".
  2. It should protect the individual performance of the strongest players. But first of all is this really a big issue? Do you have numbers to evaluate this? And even if this is true, is this really a good thing, in a team game? Should we protect the individual performance that much? For example, in some sports like the NBA, defenders now before the game that some people are more dangerous and even in which position. Yet nobody complains, because these are true team games and if the stronger player is more guarded someone else is more free. But shouldn't WoT be a team game as well? I now that there is a 1 vs 29 mentality in this game, but shouldn't this be opposed as much as possible?
  3. It will reduce trolling (but not random trolling)

In my opinion, the cons of removing live stats really outweigh the pros... Unless we are talking about the very strong players... So this should not be implemented "as is". To be honest, I am not going to quit the game over this, but I think that I will play about 40% less and only a smaller selection of tanks.

Possible solutions

1. No anonymity but other measures, like a longer black-list, free possibilities to change names.

> But if a compromise with the live stats opponents is really needed, which is a possibility then:

1. Since players who use stats and those who don't clearly don't have the same mentality, the best option could be 2 random battle modes: one with live stats for everyone and another one with no live stats at all. It could lead to longer queue times, but it seems to me that people are willing to wait for a better gaming experience (as seen with the preferential MM tanks). This would solve any possible conflict between the two "factions", and give a real choice: either gameplay with fully functional stats or live-stats free gameplay.
  2. Another solution could be the possibility of a "rating list". A player would be able to rate others while in the garage and save this rating in a list. Then, during the battle, anonymised names and no stats would appear but the rating would be displayed for every player that has been put in the rating list, according to the list. Yes, focusing would still exist but at least it would require preparation.

I hope that I brought up useful points.

Edited by GenAlexeyev, 22 November 2019 - 05:02 PM.

Steffin #6 Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:07 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27893 battles
  • [WOOF] WOOF
We need to see the in-battle name of the players in the post-battle screen to be able to report them.  One does not always have time in battle to do so.

DaddysLittlePrincess #7 Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:39 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29375 battles
  • [_RO] _RO

View Post_cassy99, on 21 November 2019 - 11:55 PM, said:

(snip)

No one force you to enable it. It's disabled on default. I tested anonymizer on CT and I didn't feel any difference. I actually can't tell if the thingy works. I can't tell if the names are generated, or I'm the only one using it (the "eye" symbol shows only next to my name). Cba to make screenshots and compare nicknames in and post game. If you use xvm, you'd probably see whos name is hidden as it won't show stats.

So yes, if you like so much to be in center of attention of fun carriers, just don't enable anonymizer.

Edited by DaddysLittlePrincess, 22 November 2019 - 08:41 AM.

iKnewIT #8 Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 79804 battles

XVM authors have made their decision concerning these news.

If You will use the Anonymizer, You wouldn't be able to see other players statistics in battles.

It's quite fair I think.

_cassy99 #9 Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:28 AM

Private

• Player
  • 41220 battles
  • [ORKI] ORKI

I really like the idea of playing with everyone knowing the stats of the players in-game. This would allow a lot of people to improve their gameplay, because the game would be less "random", you would have an idea of how the teams are composed so you would be be able to play consequently. The idea of free name changes or enlarged blacklist (can't even understand why it's limited atm) would easily solve the biggest problem of the anonymizer, hiding the names, by just removing the need of it. These solutions would allow to take out what I call "let's play against bots".

And to be honest, having more than 3k wn8 (I don't know if I can be considered a unicum, but wn8 calculating sites say that I'm in the top 0,1%, so I think yes) I can say one thing: focusing is a MYTH. I mean, it happens, but so rarely that you can't even notice it, maybe in one battle out of 20 an arty shoots you one or two times more than normal, but this isn't a problem at all. The only people that maybe are really pissed off by focusing are the most famous streamers, but the anonymizer wouldn't solve their problem, and introducing a feature for a so small part of the community is not wort the effort, which could be diverted in creating new content (new tech trees anyone?).

iKnewIT #10 Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 79804 battles

View PostGenAlexeyev, on 22 November 2019 - 03:29 AM, said:

Changing of players' names in battles is the only possible way to hide them from  XVM and other 3rd part statistics databases.

You may use that possibility or not. It's Your personal decision.

I'm not questioning Your thoughts, I only want to say that there are players who want to hide their statistics in battles and it's the only real way to do it.

On the other hand, in vanilla You have no possibility to see any player's statistics in battles, so it will change nothing for those who do not use such statistical mods in the game.

That's why I think it's nice that WoT developers have done it at last.

I still do not know if I will use it. Maybe, only because of that that I do not use any statistical mods in battles myself. 

Edited by iKnewIT, 22 November 2019 - 01:28 PM.

Black_Coyote #11 Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23009 battles
  • [RO-GA] RO-GA
The simple way is to ban XVM. And all problems disapear.

iKnewIT #12 Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 79804 battles

View PostBlack_Coyote, on 22 November 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

The simple way is to ban XVM. And all problems disapear.

All the mods which are made by XVM, You mean? Or what?

p. s. I use the only XVM mod from Protanki modpack now, to be clear. It's "The fire alarm". But it's quite useful and I do not want it to be banned. ;):P

Edited by iKnewIT, 22 November 2019 - 01:28 PM.

Jumping_Turtle #13 Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

General

• Player
  • 70808 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

I can see why some users want it. Hate the removing of nicknames myself. That is a part that makes this game for me. So I am a bit in doubt about, and think they could have come up with a better idea. But if they go on with this there are three questions I still have :

1 - how will the people in your friendlist show up ? We have all manually accepted people in out friendslist. There is no reason why we should not see their 'real' nicknames ingame.

2 - How will the people in your blacklist show up ? I put them there for a reason and I want them to be visable for me with or without the anonimizer.

3 - If you use the anonmizer, will that automaticly change all the other 29 names as well. If we cant see your name, why should the anonimizer see ours ?

restore #14 Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 23428 battles

Terrible idea i think. Tickets with cheaters were just ignored, now they cannot be sent in the first place :D

Without jokes, its still terrible idea, it just add extra steps for player and no benefit. Lets say i want to report player for inappropriate behavior in match, ill have to somehow connect this person with changed names in result screen. When i look at the dmg log, i will not see the name coresponding with player. I assume that this will also cover stats, which will help just few players who bought their stats and do nothing for wide range of players. Now one will focus and report players without stats, not just purple ones, its like a target on the back and nothing changed. 

Now you just need to terminate all other means of comunication in team or after battle and soon we will not even know if we play singleplayer against bots without internet connection.

iKnewIT #15 Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 79804 battles

View Postrestore, on 22 November 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

Terrible idea i think. Tickets with cheaters were just ignored, now they cannot be sent in the first place :D

Without jokes, its still terrible idea, it just add extra steps for player and no benefit. Lets say i want to report player for inappropriate behavior in match, ill have to somehow connect this person with changed names in result screen. When i look at the dmg log, i will not see the name coresponding with player. I assume that this will also cover stats, which will help just few players who bought their stats and do nothing for wide range of players. Now one will focus and report players without stats, not just purple ones, its like a target on the back and nothing changed. 

Now you just need to terminate all other means of comunication in team or after battle and soon we will not even know if we play singleplayer against bots without internet connection.

Sorry for sarcasm....

Yep it's crazy idea to let some people, who want it, to feel like they play in vanilla where nobody knows their statistics.... Really...

Krazy_Kalle #16 Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18107 battles
  • [VIECH] VIECH

Feedback before playing:

I understand the problems and the idea of how to fix it, but I also think that there might be better ways to fix this. I personally use XVM just to understand the matchup a little better. If I see a light tank with about 1k games, I don't rely on him to spot, if I see an experienced sniper, I might be more confident to spot for him. If I see an experienced enemy light, Ill much more cautious and so on.

The problem with stats on the same team, which is harassement, should be punished, not prevented, because that is simply not possible. People will still be toxic in chat, block others and so on. The "focus" problem with arty is just understandable. If you have the chance to attack the biggest threat on the battlefield, what reason is there not to do it. I know it's frustrating, but again, there should be other ways to prevent this. Just simply cut out all statistics in game is nonsense.

Feedback after playing:
Yeah, I wanted to know how the Anonymizer looks like ingame, but not a single person on the current Test Server is using it, or it just doesn't work.

Conclusion: I personally think there should be other ways to fix the adressed problems. Why not use the personal rating to divide players in something like "skill classes" and just show them ingame or use these for the MM, something like that, Idk, but you have the personal rating in game, frickin use it.

Take reports more seriously. A person uses key words like "tomato" or "red" or "noob" often in chat? Ban them in chat. I'm an average player, I very rarely get called something like this, but it is still annoying seeing other players be treated like this. A person not in a platoon has a big amount of ally contact, for example because he is pushing or blocking or something? Ban him. It is measurable if somebody does this. and so on. I know it's way more work than a simple anonymizer, but I think that is just the other extreme to the current situation.

Just spontanious ideas, i dont know. I just think that people who don't harass or focus others shouldn't be punished for something bad people did. Same with the all players chat for example.

MrBinkles #17 Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

Private

• Player
  • 37816 battles

Much to do about nothing other than to further insulate the snowflakes.

DangerMouse #18 Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 29736 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

You should with quality of game updates like this that require a choice to be made make it mandatory to pick either enabled or disabled before you can hit battle for the first time after the patch goes live with the feature.

So neither on or off by default  - no default setting.

_cassy99 #19 Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:00 PM

Private

• Player
  • 41220 battles
  • [ORKI] ORKI

I want to point out that we are all discussing about a feature that could potentially ruin the spirit of a mp game but that the majority of players simply din't ask to have. It is a very, very few people who demanded it (I think streamers) and I don't think the anonymizer would solve their problems. So I wonder why we are talking about this while there are still a lot of tier x which are currently more than out of meta (IS-4 anyone?) instead of discussing real game contents.

And about the stats, as a xvm user I don't think at all that seeing them during the game is an advantage of something like that, I think it's a way to improve the gameplay by reducing the randomness of a match. I would be very, very pleased if just anyone could see it during the game, it would improve the gaming experience in general. Maybe add a tool that show everyone's stats that could be disabled (if you love old-fashion vanilla). Concerning people who wants to hide their stats.... Well, what do you want to hide? The fact that you illegaly bought an account so you don't play accordinlgy to its stats?

DangerMouse #20 Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 29736 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

View Post_cassy99, on 22 November 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

I want to point out that we are all discussing about a feature that could potentially ruin the spirit of a mp game but that the majority of players simply din't ask to have. It is a very, very few people who demanded it (I think streamers) and I don't think the anonymizer would solve their problems. So I wonder why we are talking about this while there are still a lot of tier x which are currently more than out of meta (IS-4 anyone?) instead of discussing real game contents.

And about the stats, as a xvm user I don't think at all that seeing them during the game is an advantage of something like that, I think it's a way to improve the gameplay by reducing the randomness of a match. I would be very, very pleased if just anyone could see it during the game, it would improve the gaming experience in general. Maybe add a tool that show everyone's stats that could be disabled (if you love old-fashion vanilla). Concerning people who wants to hide their stats.... Well, what do you want to hide? The fact that you illegaly bought an account so you don't play accordinlgy to its stats?

That argument just doesn't add up you use it because for you it reduces randomness but then claim that it gives no advantage to those that don't use it, there is only one reason a player uses in game stats, they think it gives them an advantage over not doing so.

Also tagged with 1.7

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users