Am I missing a point about cap?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

ChineseNinjaLady #1 Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1085 battles

Hai all,

This must be a simple and obvious answer but I might have been missing the point as per the title.

So far I only play random battles and it sometimes has the objective of capture a neutral base instead of
each other's base. So I have the assumption that the team that captures it wins, then why am I often seeing

my team going the exact opposite direction on the map and win some far away areas only to lose the match

with the opponent team capturing without mostly no resistance?

It's usually himmelsdorf or however you spell it, and this other map with that huge lake in the middle and the

base is in the city. Then all the big tanks climb to the castle or go mountain climbing but even without fighting
it would take them forever to go around the map and arrive at the objective that way so why are they doing
that instead of helping at the base?

Is there any particular reason why we still have to fight over remote areas before going for the gray flag?

Please tell me because I'm confused and don't want to be the one who doesn't play with the team, and sorry if
my questions are too many and too stupid :)

Thank you for your replies in advance :)

unhappy_bunny #2 Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:25 PM

Colonel

• 20193 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

If there is a single base, you are playing Encounter Mode. There is standard random, Encounter where both teaks fight for a single base, and Assault where one team defends a single base and the other has to capture it.

These can be turned off in the settings menu.

THUNDERo #3 Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 17597 battles

I think players take those remote positions because they are used to them while playing standard battles (where each team has its own cap circle), or some tanks cannot even play in the region of the map that features the cap circle (on himmelsdorf, for example, the cap is in the open, in plain sight, so any tank that would want to take advantage of his gun depression to stay hulldown would simply not be able to do so). 

What I actually did thousand of battles ago was to simply uncheck all the other modes, apart from standard battle, because no matter what I did, it always seemed I would lose on the other modes (especially on the freakin Assault game mode, where if I had to defend, my team would rush and die, and if I had to attack, my team would camp and lose).

UrQuan #4 Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:31 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21638 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Generally on encounter (which you describe) the starting spawns start as close to each other as the neutral flag. Usually it means you sent some folks to enemy base to keep m occupied & others to the flag, so they don't cap it without resistance.

The best way to win is still kill all your opponents which is best achieved by taking them on asap. On some maps (like Himmelsdorf) it means most go hill as the hill offers quick access to enemy positions when taken, making it easier to decap as well if needed.

However this is pretty map dependent as this tactic doesn't work on Lakeville Encounter as the valley can be easy defended with a minimum of tanks against a larger force so a winning team is better off taking control of the city (and the road between mountains & lake) & hence you get pretty intense fights around the flag, yet capping is often a last resort in encounter still due to how long it takes & how exposed you are (also artillery large splash can easy decap you!)

And some encounter maps are just horribly balanced (Mines Encounter comes to mind, where south spawn is at a disadvantage from north at the start)

Edit: Tundero does make a good point that some folks seem oblivious to the differences in Encounter mode,  especially on some maps (like prohorovka) it really changes how you play (1 line suddenly becomes alot less important on Prohorovka encounter) while on other maps it barely affects the way one plays (Malinovka Encounter doesn't differ much from standard imo)

Edited by UrQuan, 23 November 2019 - 11:35 PM.

ChineseNinjaLady #5 Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:31 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1085 battles

View PostTHUNDERo, on 23 November 2019 - 11:27 PM, said:

I think players take those remote positions because they are used to them while playing standard battles (where each team has its own cap circle), or some tanks cannot even play in the region of the map that features the cap circle (on himmelsdorf, for example, the cap is in the open, in plain sight, so any tank that would want to take advantage of his gun depression to stay hulldown would simply not be able to do so). 

What I actually did thousand of battles ago was to simply uncheck all the other modes, apart from standard battle, because no matter what I did, it always seemed I would lose on the other modes (especially on the freakin Assault game mode, where if I had to defend, my team would rush and die, and if I had to attack, my team would camp and lose).

Thank you for your hints, I think it's a good idea for me to only play the standard battle then since it looks like many players can't read the objective from the loading screen. The other thing about tanks not able to play on certain parts of the map makes sense, I didn't even think about it.

Edited by ChineseNinjaLady, 23 November 2019 - 11:32 PM.

TheDrownedApe #6 Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:34 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 50359 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostChineseNinjaLady, on 23 November 2019 - 10:31 PM, said:

Thank you for your hints, I think it's a good idea for me to only play the standard battle then since it looks like many players can't read the objective from the loading screen. The other thing about tanks not able to play on certain parts of the map makes sense, I didn't even think about it.

Just remember 99% of players never try to fulfill the MAIN obvective (capture) as it tends to be counter productive and will end in defeat.

ChineseNinjaLady #7 Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:34 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1085 battles
Thank you for your answer UrQuan, this also clarifies things a bit :)

MeetriX #8 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:13 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24362 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE
Capping in encounter mode also take a lot longer, so it is pointles to sat there are wait for enemy reset the counter every now and then.

FrantisekBascovansky #9 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:59 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32971 battles

View PostChineseNinjaLady, on 23 November 2019 - 11:18 PM, said:

why am I often seeing my team going the exact opposite direction on the map and win some far away areas only to lose the match

Murovanka encounter.

My team always go to the forest while 5 enemy tanks cap the base within 1 minute.

CmdRatScabies #10 Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:03 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 38551 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostChineseNinjaLady, on 23 November 2019 - 11:18 PM, said:

Hai all,

This must be a simple and obvious answer but I might have been missing the point as per the title.

So far I only play random battles and it sometimes has the objective of capture a neutral base instead of
each other's base. So I have the assumption that the team that captures it wins, then why am I often seeing

my team going the exact opposite direction on the map and win some far away areas only to lose the match

It's usually himmelsdorf or however you spell it, and this other map with that huge lake in the middle and the

base is in the city. Then all the big tanks climb to the castle or go mountain climbing but even without fighting
it would take them forever to go around the map and arrive at the objective that way so why are they doing
that instead of helping at the base?

Is there any particular reason why we still have to fight over remote areas before going for the gray flag?

Please tell me because I'm confused and don't want to be the one who doesn't play with the team, and sorry if
my questions are too many and too stupid :)

Thank you for your replies in advance :)

Very good.  11/10  :)

UserZer00 #11 Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13230 battles

I don't care about the others, I always head for the base because I know that's where the beer is kept cold.

If the rest of my team wants to go the other way that's fine. More beer for me!

(Assuming I survive the battle of course)

PowJay #12 Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:10 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 40500 battles

I turned Encounter off after a battle where only four of us went to the Lakeville town (cap) and the rest bimbled around in the valley. The four of us died and the enemy capped unopposed after that. 

Himmelsdorf, as you say sees the same principle with the hill! :facepalm:

kaneloon #13 Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:30 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31149 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0

I don't see why you would turn off a battle mode after  battle. You have lousy battles whatever the mode.

Anyway players don't usually all go caping as they can be circled or artied.

Plus a fast cap means few xp for everyone.

Alukat123 #14 Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17560 battles

Because some youtubers and forum people unfortunately tell people it would all be about damage...

A solid defense is still the best defense in defense mode.

In encounter ping the cap at the beginning and in defense use the "defend the base!" radio function. Making them aware that it's not a standard battle helps every now and then.

01:53 Added after 2 minute

View Postkaneloon, on 24 November 2019 - 02:30 AM, said:

And if you don't use the fast cap, when you can, then you may just lose the game... I've seen quite many games being lost, because people refused to cap when they had the chance.

Edited by Alukat123, 24 November 2019 - 02:55 AM.

MightyBalls_2 #15 Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:05 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7973 battles
  • [MITY] MITY

So many idiots on here, the cap is there just in case you can not win the battle and its a last resort to win the game, it's not about a rush to cap to win, only retarded monkies tell you this so please do not do this.

The name of the game is to fight with tanks, if it looks like you are unable to win like that then you have a choice to try and cap to win.

You can also use it for making the enemy come to you, I often do this because I am too lazy to hunt for them, so make them come to me, But unless is a mission or there is never going to be a win I will never actually cap out because despite what muppets on here state, you get less XP by doing so.

Alukat123 #16 Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:13 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17560 battles

Only wannabe-unicums, who will never be able to become unicums WR-wise, will tell you not to get the cap win, when you can get it... 

Edited by Alukat123, 24 November 2019 - 03:16 AM.

PowJay #17 Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:33 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 40500 battles

View Postkaneloon, on 24 November 2019 - 01:30 AM, said:

I don't see why you would turn off a battle mode after  battle. You have lousy battles whatever the mode.

Anyway players don't usually all go caping as they can be circled or artied.

Even though you didn't quote me, that appears to be aimed at me, and so I will answer. It wasn't after one particular battle, it was after constantly being in battles with everyone going to the hill on Himmelsdorf or the valley on Lakeville etc

If we had won frequently with that tactic, then fair enough. Unfortunately, as it only takes ONE enemy player to successfully cap while everyone else flounders around on the other side of the map, we didn't. We lost. All the time. 

ChineseNinjaLady #18 Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:02 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1085 battles

Ok so all in all the opinions are divided over this. I thought it was going to be an easy question to answer.

However, experience-wise it's still easy to answer; do you get more experience for fighting and losing or do you get more for capping and winning?

So far what I see (at least without any premium accounts or gold) that no matter how well I do in a game I almost always get more experience when I'm winning than otherwise and for me this is important because I need to research modules for the next vehicle.

Also I see where you people come from when saying that you need tanks to keep the opponent busy so you can't just send everybody in the base, but as far as I understand the more tanks capture simultaneously the faster it goes. Also the more tanks there are, the harder for the opponent to reset it?

I don't know, just based on math I think this way but I can be totally wrong :)

Edited by ChineseNinjaLady, 24 November 2019 - 11:15 AM.

Bordhaw #19 Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:14 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 15293 battles
Encounter and Assault modes -  I think I turned them off after my first 5 battles.....

ChineseNinjaLady #20 Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:16 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1085 battles
Edited some typos

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users