How is this mod legal?

mods mod_advantages viewrange illegal?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Venom7000 #1 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:08 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7527 battles

How is this mod even legal to have? (see attachment first before continuing to read)
It:

1. Gives you a colossal advantage over your opponents because it gives you arty level of zooming out
  2. Is much longer zoom out than the regular one.
  3. Negates any surprise that can occur from sneaking
  4. You can see over entire blocks of buildings whether your enemy: is facing towards you, aiming at and many more things that a minimap or regular zoom can give you.

Before anyone jumps to:

• Its a mod. Download it yourself if you want to.
    That is not the point! If this is legal and obviously there is no drawback from using it (both strategically or legally) why doesn't WG implement it in their game already? I mean who doesnt want more view?
  • Its a mod like any other, for example the "pen indicator (with the live numbers)".
    That is not the same. We already have pen indicators in form of colours (green, orange and red). It doesnt affect the existing game UI. Its just useful for people who are either colour blind and or like the pen chances to be expressed in raw numbers. The zoom out mod is just pure advantage that no one can say that they dont need.

I was watching a stream of Circonflexes today. So let me just say. I have ZERO issues with him as a person, entertainer or otherwise.
I merely used his clip as an example. I have seen many other streamers use it.

Any thoughts?

P.s- I couldn't use his clip as attachment. So if you want to see it perform live. Please go to this link (and skip to 2:48:15):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/494536050?filter=archives&sort=time

Attached Files

• Attached File   Zoom mod WOT.png   2.19MB

Edited by Venom7000, 24 November 2019 - 02:24 AM.

Major_cjs #2 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:16 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 3924 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
There are worse mods out there, I really hope this is legal, just started playing again and installed the mods I had in 2014, this is one of them.
No hiding that this gives an advantage though. 

FrantisekBascovansky #3 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32971 battles
oh Mr. Whine King uses zoom out mod, surprise surprise

Venom7000 #4 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:22 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7527 battles

View PostFrantisekBascovansky, on 24 November 2019 - 12:20 AM, said:

oh Mr. Whine King uses zoom out mod, surprise surprise

Mr.Whine King? Hahahahah, Circon is a Whine King? Please elaborate. (I genuinely want to know. I have been watching him for only 2 months now) :)

23:24 Added after 1 minute

View PostMajor_cjs, on 24 November 2019 - 12:16 AM, said:

There are worse mods out there, I really hope this is legal, just started playing again and installed the mods I had in 2014, this is one of them.

Tbh, the only other mod I can see being 100% useful (with no one being able to say that they dont want it) is the one which shows ammoracks on tanks. But that one I think is illegal. 

Edited by Venom7000, 24 November 2019 - 12:25 AM.

CmdRatScabies #5 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:24 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 38551 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostMajor_cjs, on 24 November 2019 - 12:16 AM, said:

Make sure you get your mods from the official mods portal - some of the mods that were okay in 2014 are banned now.

Major_cjs #6 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:25 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 3924 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 23 November 2019 - 11:24 PM, said:

Make sure you get your mods from the official mods portal - some of the mods that were okay in 2014 are banned now.

We have a official mods portal now? 
Its thru Aslains modpack, all my mods is in that pack. 

CmdRatScabies #7 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:26 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 38551 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostVenom7000, on 24 November 2019 - 12:22 AM, said:

Tbh, the only other mod I can see being 100% useful (with no one being able to say that they dont want it) is the one which shows ammoracks on tanks. But that one I think is illegal. 

If you mean a vehicle skin that shown the position of the rack then that's legal - but who the heck has time to study a skin especially when the shot will likely go somewhere else.

23:26 Added after 0 minute

View PostMajor_cjs, on 24 November 2019 - 12:25 AM, said:

We have a official mods portal now? 
Its thru Aslains modpack, all my mods is in that pack. 

Anything in Aslains is okay - it's on the mods portal.

xtrem3x #8 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:28 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35654 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

View PostVenom7000, on 23 November 2019 - 11:08 PM, said:

How is this mod even legal to have? (see attachment first before continuing to read)
It:

1. Gives you a colossal advantage over your opponents because it gives you arty level of zooming out
  2. Is much longer zoom out than the regular one.
  3. Negates any surprise that can occur from sneaking
  4. You can see over entire blocks of buildings whether your enemy: is facing towards you, aiming at and many more things that a minimap or regular zoom can give you.

Before anyone jumps to:

• Its a mod. Download it yourself if you want to.
    That is not the point! If this is legal and obviously there is no drawback from using it (both strategically or legally) why doesn't WG implement it in their game already? I mean who doesnt want more view?
  • Its a mod like any other, for example the "pen indicator (with the live numbers)".
    That is not the same. We already have pen indicators in form of colours (green, orange and red). It doesnt affect the existing game UI. Its just useful for people who are either colour blind and or like the pen chances to be expressed in raw numbers. The zoom out mod is just pure advantage that no one can say that they dont need.

I was watching a stream of Circonflexes today. So let me just say. I have ZERO issues with him as a person, entertainer or otherwise.
I merely used his clip as an example. I have seen many other streamers use it.

Any thoughts?

P.s- I couldn't use his clip as attachment. So if you want to see it perform live. Please go to this link (and skip to 2:48:15):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/494536050?filter=archives&sort=time

Please explain how it gives you an advantage if your opponents can/are also using it...

Venom7000 #9 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:32 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7527 battles

View Postxtrem3x, on 24 November 2019 - 12:28 AM, said:

Please explain how it gives you an advantage if your opponents can/are also using it...

Did you bother to read the thing I wrote?
"Its a mod. Download it yourself if you want to.
That is not the point! If this is legal and obviously there is no drawback from using it (both strategically or legally) why doesn't WG implement it in their game already? I mean who doesnt want more view?"

I will reiterate again, just because you can download the mod doesn't mean anything. I believe majority of players are not aware of this mod existing. Unless its something that is integrated into the game. It cannot be used by 100% of the people.
Also, not everyone knows where and how to download mods. Nor can every machine able to instal mods or have computers to run them.

Secondly, maybe you shouldn't be able to download mods that have gameplay advantage over your opponents. Instead of simply making the UI more to your liking.

Edited by Venom7000, 24 November 2019 - 12:35 AM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #10 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:38 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9307 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

If its on wgmods.net, then it should be allowed.

Also, I don't really see how this gives any bigger advantage than using the minimap.

Venom7000 #11 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:43 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7527 battles

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 24 November 2019 - 12:38 AM, said:

If its on wgmods.net, then it should be allowed.

Also, I don't really see how this gives any bigger advantage than using the minimap.

I know its legal. Question was: why or how is it legal?

Advantages over minimap:

1. Does minimap show you where is the enemies gun and tank facing behind those buildings or mountain?
  2. Minimap is just a small map on the corner of your screen. This mod enables you to see:
    1. Arty from shooting from half of the map from a bush (like when you want to counter batter in your arty. So you just hover over the map and wait for a random shell to fire from a bush).
    2. You can see trees falling down from the other side of the hill, indicating a tank in it that you would never get on a minimap because they are technically not spotted. 
  3. Basically load up in a random tank and try to use your regular max zoom. And then load up your arty in to a match and see how much info you can get that you would never get on a regular tank zoom. 

There are tons of advantages over not having the mod or vs the minimap. And to say otherwise is just silly in my opinion.

Edited by Venom7000, 24 November 2019 - 12:51 AM.

CmdRatScabies #12 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:45 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 38551 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostVenom7000, on 24 November 2019 - 12:43 AM, said:

My guess would be that they can't stop it or detect if they wanted to.  Maybe they will just add it to the base client one day like they have with many other mods.

Venom7000 #13 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:49 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7527 battles

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 24 November 2019 - 12:45 AM, said:

My guess would be that they can't stop it or detect if they wanted to.  Maybe they will just add it to the base client one day like they have with many other mods.

I agree 100%.
WG said so in their newest Anonimyzer video that many "features" of the WOT started out as mods. That is 100% correct.
However this mod is very very old and youd think that WG would implement it already. Unlike the Anonymyzer. This one is not that difficult to implement. They would have done it so far if they thought that it would have been a good idea. :)

But I agree with you 100%, maybe one day they will add it. (I hope not. It makes the game more "grounded". Otherwise every tank will have a small UAV or a falcon flying over it. :teethhappy:

Balc0ra #14 Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:55 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74388 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostVenom7000, on 24 November 2019 - 12:43 AM, said:

Because when WG did review all the mods when we got the common mod rules across all servers. They simply said, "it gives not major advantage over those that don't have it all the time". What they meant by that in detail. Who knows. But that's more or less it. WG don't think it's that broken. Why it's not implemented yet? Well it took years before we got anything bigger then 6x for the sniper zoom to balance out vs the mods with 24 or 32x. So who knows.

Venom7000 #15 Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:01 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7527 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 24 November 2019 - 12:55 AM, said:

Because when WG did review all the mods when we got the common mod rules across all servers. They simply said, "it gives not major advantage over those that don't have it all the time". What they meant by that in detail. Who knows. But that's more or less it. WG don't think it's that broken. Why it's not implemented yet? Well it took years before we got anything bigger then 6x for the sniper zoom to balance out vs the mods with 24 or 32x. So who knows.

I understand that :)
However, the fact that WG thinks (or tbh is not even aware that this mod is still being used) does not give a big/constant adv over people who dont use it . Is preplexing to say the least.

When is being able to see higher not been used?

Imagine this if you will:

I am capping. There is a building/apartment blocks/factory some 20m away from the cap. You are hiding behind it. You are 1 shot for me. I am 1 shot for you.

You need to shoot me. Problem is: you dont know which side of the building I am pre-aimed to?! :ohmy: Left or Right?
You cant peak to see. I will prob-shoot you. You cant zoom any further. You only end up clippin the camera in to the building. You, look a the minimap. Im still spotted on it. But where is his tank facing!!?

You go to right.... BLAM.... you dead bro.

Rewind that + add the mod.
Mighty falcon tell me where VENOMs7000 is expecting me to be... does he even know I am here??? Ooo... right... ok 
**goes left** BAAAM! Ammoracks poor VENOMs7000. Zero need to risk.

You see my point :D

UserZer00 #16 Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13230 battles

Because they are inconsistent with pretty much everything they say and do?

- This tank is only available to people who buy this special version of the game  = years later they give the tank as a reward tank / x-mas boxes / etc.

- Gold ammo is available only for money, this will help limit it's use in the game = "premium" ammo is now available to everyone for in game credits

- We will never make changes to premium tanks = been there, done that

- Premium tanks will never be stronger than the tech tree tanks because of their other advantages =  nuff said

- and many many more

(Note: Some details may be a bit off as I didn't go back and confirm each case. The list is just there to demonstrate some examples)

Love it or leave it. WG are who they are and WOT is what it is.

This mod may go the way of autoaim plus or (soon?) XVM (via the anonymizer), or it may stay available as a mod, be added to the game, etc.

Stay tuned to this channel for the answer .......

Arissos #17 Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:08 AM

Private

• Player
  • 41507 battles
  • [HACKR] HACKR
I miss this zoom-mod. Have been playing vanilla for a long time now, but used to have this mod. Very useful and certainly helps you to know if you can safely peek and shoot free dmg for example.

Only issue was that it sometimes had problems in city-maps in tight spaces. But that was rare if I remember right.

They should add it to the game. Weird they said it does not give unfair advantage. Certainly did for me in some situations.

Venom7000 #18 Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:12 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7527 battles

View PostArissos, on 24 November 2019 - 01:08 AM, said:

I miss this zoom-mod. Have been playing vanilla for a long time now, but used to have this mod. Very useful and certainly helps you to know if you can safely peek and shoot free dmg for example.

Only issue was that it sometimes had problems in city-maps in tight spaces. But that was rare if I remember right.

They should add it to the game. Weird they said it does not give unfair advantage. Certainly did for me in some situations.

Sadly, some people will say anything just to get in a counter argument with you mate. Telling that this mod does not give you adv means only that you either: never played this game or never played anything other than arty. :facepalm:

Should they add it to the game?
Idk man, part of the danger of peaking out of cover was always that they enemy is waiting for you. The safest being when you hear him shoot and reloading. This kinda kills the only relative disadvantage you would have when you managed to hide your entire tank so close to a large wall/building/boulder; and you did so to save yourself from both arty and the enemy tank 20m away from you.

P.s- you can watch the link. Circon doesnt have any problems with using it on Kharkov like a champ. :teethhappy:

Edited by Venom7000, 24 November 2019 - 01:16 AM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #19 Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:18 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9307 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostVenom7000, on 24 November 2019 - 01:01 AM, said:

I understand that :)
However, the fact that WG thinks (or tbh is not even aware that this mod is still being used) does not give a big/constant adv over people who dont use it . Is preplexing to say the least.

When is being able to see higher not been used?

Imagine this if you will:

I am capping. There is a building/apartment blocks/factory some 20m away from the cap. You are hiding behind it. You are 1 shot for me. I am 1 shot for you.

You need to shoot me. Problem is: you dont know which side of the building I am pre-aimed to?! :ohmy: Left or Right?
You cant peak to see. I will prob-shoot you. You cant zoom any further. You only end up clippin the camera in to the building. You, look a the minimap. Im still spotted on it. But where is his tank facing!!?

You go to right.... BLAM.... you dead bro.

Rewind that + add the mod.
Mighty falcon tell me where VENOMs7000 is expecting me to be... does he even know I am here??? Ooo... right... ok 
**goes left** BAAAM! Ammoracks poor VENOMs7000. Zero need to risk.

You see my point :D

Nice situation, except neither side of the building would be safe since it'd be too easy to shift his turret based on your movement (dot above your tank is also visible, remember). You're being proxy-spotted so no matter how long you hide behind it, you'll remain spotted.

Don't need a fancy mod for that.

Arissos #20 Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:20 AM

Private

• Player
  • 41507 battles
  • [HACKR] HACKR
Well I watch Circon from time to time so I know he uses it and does it well as he has great awereness in general. Zoom-mod is a useful tool if you know how to use it.

No issues with that and no issues with others using this zoom-mod. Just wish they would make it part of the vanilla.

OT: on phone so cannot quote or I am stupid and don't know how to today

Also tagged with mods, mod_advantages, viewrange, illegal?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users