discussion Derp tanks HE

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

RetroCh1cken #1 Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:30 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5673 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

Okay, I can't be the only one having a problem with this, if Wargaming goes through with these changes,

First off, HE will GUARANTEE dmg for every shot, for every tank. Which means if a very skilled player is hulled down, hiding all weakspots and got low hp and is outplaying 3 lesser skilled players he'd still die cause he wouldn't bounce a single shot if they are starting to fire HE. No need to even aim, just hit the tank for GUARANTEED damage!

Also, if I'm not mistaken, you won't be able to track tanks with HE anymore, which was one bigger uses of it, especially for lower tiers when going up against higher more armoed tiers. Also one last thing, the HE dmg output will be significantly nerfed.

Now there are a bunch more things but this is the biggest things from what I have heard, oh wait actually.

Derp tanks will be almost completely useless now compared to equal tiers.

If these changes go through, tanks that are literally balanced revolving their derp guns, like the lovely fan favourite KV-2 will be pretty much useless if it doesn't use that godforsaken other gun, which is still not that good.

Tanks like the KV-2 that are balanced around having a high dmg output, long reload, slow speed, bad armour, bad penetration will actually be better of firing AP, which they weren't even made for to fire. This would also end up removing some of the diversity of tank choices if derp guns are removed. Some players only play with derp guns, this would actually end up removing a part of Wot's fanbase.

Why Wargaming, why even fix something that isn't in need of being fixed when there are bigger problems plaguing the game right now.

I mean, can't be the only one who does not agree with this change one bit.

Alukat123 #2 Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:11 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17640 battles

Even non Derp-Gun tanks will suffer from this change... HE is usually the way to go if you're up against a light tank while driving a heavy tank. 

Also if you're bottom tier you need the HE to deal with higher Tier paper TDs...

WG didn't think it through and they should just scrap this idea entirely.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #3 Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:02 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34515 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

No, HE is supposedly going to be better at tracking. WG have this idea of it being the ammo of choice for that, cap resets and low hp kills.

If the intention was to reduce HE spam tho I can see it having the exact opposite effect if they intend to make the damage rolls more reliable. 

Venom7000 #4 Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:30 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7592 battles

I wont get in to whether the HE rebalance is good or not (I personally dont see the point in tinkering with poor mans gold ammo)

I am only interested in how will WG balance the KV2 when it becomes truly useless. Because I guarantee that WG wont allow their meme tank to lose popularity. 

Maaaaaad #5 Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:46 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 64974 battles
  • [A3] A3
I think the only problem with HE is in the lower tiers up to the KV2 - the HE alpha damage and module damage is far too high at low tiers.. Turn down the damage a bit to stop the one shot kill factor and it will be fine. I've been one shot by kv2's many times over 500 meters when driving a moving light tank. That accuracy combined with massive alpha damage is a really poor mechanic of the game. Just bring the damage down a bit on things like Cruiser 11, hetzer, shermans, M2 medium and KV2's, these sorts of tanks. in the higher tiers HE seems ok, maybe increase the damage of the type 5 heavy which has already been ruined just like all the stats of the top British TD's, whereas they still have the alpha damage but every other stat has been nerfed to death.

Ceeb #6 Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:30 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 33292 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF
My M4A1 is at 92.85% for its third mark, I hope I can finish it before the HE rebalance

Dava_117 #7 Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:49 AM

Major General

• 23050 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 26 November 2019 - 01:30 AM, said:

Okay, I can't be the only one having a problem with this, if Wargaming goes through with these changes,

First off, HE will GUARANTEE dmg for every shot, for every tank. Which means if a very skilled player is hulled down, hiding all weakspots and got low hp and is outplaying 3 lesser skilled players he'd still die cause he wouldn't bounce a single shot if they are starting to fire HE. No need to even aim, just hit the tank for GUARANTEED damage!

Also, if I'm not mistaken, you won't be able to track tanks with HE anymore, which was one bigger uses of it, especially for lower tiers when going up against higher more armoed tiers. Also one last thing, the HE dmg output will be significantly nerfed.

Now there are a bunch more things but this is the biggest things from what I have heard, oh wait actually.

If these changes go through, tanks that are literally balanced revolving their derp guns, like the lovely fan favourite KV-2 will be pretty much useless if it doesn't use that godforsaken other gun, which is still not that good.

Tanks like the KV-2 that are balanced around having a high dmg output, long reload, slow speed, bad armour, bad penetration will actually be better of firing AP, which they weren't even made for to fire. This would also end up removing some of the diversity of tank choices if derp guns are removed. Some players only play with derp guns, this would actually end up removing a part of Wot's fanbase.

Why Wargaming, why even fix something that isn't in need of being fixed when there are bigger problems plaguing the game right now.

I mean, can't be the only one who does not agree with this change one bit.

That was just the first iteration of the sandbox. They did a second one with huge HE damage and a third iteration, the last one, where damage output was similar to the one on live server, just more reliable and less dependent on armour thickness. It's also a huge nerf on the spall liners, as if they aren't already mostly useless now...

Homer_J #8 Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:01 AM

Field Marshal

• 32940 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 26 November 2019 - 12:30 AM, said:

Well it seems that despite coming to the party really late you don't understand any of the changes.

HE will ALMOST always do SOME damage.  It isn't going to do full damage every hit, they are just tweaking the calculation so that armour can't soak up 100% as it does now.  But spaced armour will still give some protection and 0 damage HE will still be possible.

They say it will be better for tracking.  Along with the damage reduction there is a complete rework of the way it damages external vs internal modules.

Derp guns will be the most affected by the change, there will be no more totally RNG dependant full damage penetrations but on the other hand every shot will be more reliable.  They may need some more rebalancing, we won't really know until it goes live along with all the other changes.

It's a lot more complicated than just reducing damage (which they raised slightly on test 2) and penetration.

Balc0ra #9 Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:31 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74420 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Keep in mind they did several stages of testing with different damage outputs and the ability do even do damage with low calibers. Not just one. And one stage 76mm did 1 to 5 damage vs a T29. Not gonna dig him out fast with that with 3 guns when he does 320 back. And nothing was final on how it will work. It's a sandbox. It's to test ideas. To see the impact.

If these changes go through, tanks that are literally balanced revolving their derp guns, like the lovely fan favourite KV-2 will be pretty much useless if it doesn't use that godforsaken other gun,

Again, sandbox, testing, exploring. They had several stages of it. One with low alpha and pen, and one later with high alpha and pen, and a few between to see what worked or not. But WG later went out to point out this before one of the stages with regards to the M4 and KV-2 derps etc. As one test was with those as they are now.

Block Quote

We're listening to your feedback and we will pay close attention to the precise reconfiguration of gameplay for such vehicles. However, the current test will check the system-scale changes in the mechanics of HE shells without reconfiguring particular vehicles. We will start tweaking certain vehicles individually after we finish this stage of testing and come to a common conclusion.

Edited by Balc0ra, 26 November 2019 - 10:32 AM.

GodTank2 #10 Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:32 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8512 battles
  • [RF_] RF_
Making normal tanks unable to pen with HE to deal 500 dmg to a grille but allow arties to pen tanks for 1.1k dmg from the other side of the map. If the HE changes go through arty should also be included in the he change

sgtYester #11 Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:41 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 57552 battles
  • [RANGF] RANGF

the biggests idiocy i saw with this rebalance it that arty would start to do even more!! damage!

so, first they got nerfed with less damage bout 50% average  but faster reload.   then HE got buffed again so arty does 80% damage again and now they will do 100% damage of old with!! fast reload..

yeah that will work great..    2/3 arty in a game are already a bad game... gg wg .  you huys are clueless in whats really needed.

wg needs to grow some and actually rework arty/rework p2w ammo/ rebalance russian tanks/ buff many many "old tanks" that never saw a buff since 2008!

but no..  He is the problem cause they hurt hull down russian tanks.

Dava_117 #12 Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:54 AM

Major General

• 23050 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostGodTank2, on 26 November 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

Making normal tanks unable to pen with HE to deal 500 dmg to a grille but allow arties to pen tanks for 1.1k dmg from the other side of the map. If the HE changes go through arty should also be included in the he change

The few arty that were on Sandbox weren't indeed affected by the change. But WG already stated they need a Sandbox for arty and one for HESH/HEP shells, so this is not the final rebalance we will see.

Balc0ra #13 Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:55 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74420 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostsgtYester, on 26 November 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

the biggests idiocy i saw with this rebalance it that arty would start to do even more!! damage!

No, it won't. As arty HE was not part of the current HE testing and the impact of it. As stated on the sandbox page, that will be a different test. And will be made to make a different impact vs on standard tanks.

Block Quote

We're currently testing the mechanics for dealing damage with HE shells only for regular tanks. This does not apply to SPG rounds or HESH. We will test them in a separate iteration, but only if we receive positive results from the current Sandbox tests.

View PostsgtYester, on 26 November 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

but no..  He is the problem cause they hurt hull down russian tanks.

To be fair, the most common HE complainers on EU are those that are doing the blocking missions in the Maus or Type 5 more so then the IS-7. Or one that want's to push in a T95. And it's those that I see get spammed with HE more so than anything.

Edited by Balc0ra, 26 November 2019 - 10:56 AM.

RetroCh1cken #14 Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:44 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5673 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostMaaaaaad, on 26 November 2019 - 04:46 AM, said:

I think the only problem with HE is in the lower tiers up to the KV2 - the HE alpha damage and module damage is far too high at low tiers.. Turn down the damage a bit to stop the one shot kill factor and it will be fine. I've been one shot by kv2's many times over 500 meters when driving a moving light tank. That accuracy combined with massive alpha damage is a really poor mechanic of the game. Just bring the damage down a bit on things like Cruiser 11, hetzer, shermans, M2 medium and KV2's, these sorts of tanks. in the higher tiers HE seems ok, maybe increase the damage of the type 5 heavy which has already been ruined just like all the stats of the top British TD's, whereas they still have the alpha damage but every other stat has been nerfed to death.

While I do now a lot of people do not agree with me on this, for me when it at least comes to tanks such as the KV-2, it seems fairly balanced and does add some new kinds of skill elements and tactics for both the one driving the tank, and the ones fighting it.
When it comes to the KV-2, I do believe it is one the best derp tanks, in terms of that it's a very good tank at being what it is, a derp tank and for me, quite balanced.
Compared to some other high dmg tanks, the KV-2 most often have to fight at where the battle is, so add that to the already low camo rating and you'll spot that tank before he most often sees you. No getting shot from no-where.
The bad accuracy, aim time and reload speed also can make this tank in a lot of situations a high-risk, high reward tank. If you are playing peek-a-boo you most often will have to stand in the open, with a big thin armoured turret for a while until you can shoot with a 90% guarantee of hitting your target. Yet I've still seen a lot of KV-2 drivers miss their shots while still taking 1 or 2 shots from the enemy team.
If you've got a tank that isn't a paper tank, then in 1v1 scenario if the tank got more then 370-400 hitpoints left you'll almost always win cause once the fully hp KV-2 has fired, it is facing a long slow reload. 

I don't want to either be disrespectful or anything but if you manage to get one-shoted by a KV-2 in a light tank, you probably 1. you were very unlucky, or 2. you most definitely deserved it.

While I am in no way shape or form very good in this game there is one thing the KV-2 is good at, punishing players who do mistakes such as going in 1v1 as a paper tank against the KV-2, showing anything else than your front armour or playing too aggressively as a light tank or simply not moving enough. 

If you manage to get killed by a KV-2 as a light tank you most definitely have been spotted or haven't changed your positions in a while cause the KV-2  have to be ridiculously lucky if he managed to hit you without aiming which I've never managed to do in my KV-2, even while aiming.

I personally believe the KV-2 serves as a good tank to help players learn basic rules by punishing them severely for most often being too aggressive. When I get one-shot by a KV-2 which I have both been in while playing as a KV-2 myself and other paper tanks I am not annoyed by the tank who killed me, cause it was me who did the mistake that I probably could easily avoid by playing less aggressive.

All tanks have different counters, the KV-2 is a support tank, a single KV-2 against more than one tank at the same time, no matter how much hp both have is screwed. A KV-2 who fires a shot will have to pop out again and slowly aim while you most often can put one shot in him while going back to cover while taking no dmg. KV-2 are also most often harmless to higher tiers who doesn't show anything else then their frontal armour, most often a KV-2 will only be able to do around 100-250 dmg while having to wait a long, loong time before firing the next shell.

I'm not saying it's the most balanced tank but I know it's way more balanced than a lot of other tanks.

Venom7000 #15 Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:27 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7592 battles

People who think that high pen/dmg of KV2 is the reason the KV2 is "OP" and needs to be part of the rebalance, is a m@£n.
Its a fv4005 in lower tiers.

Also people forget that:

• KV2 shoots, kv2 kills/ or cripples...kv2 now is reloading 100years... kv2 gets killed by tier 4 tank....
  • Accuracies in which kv2 works are almost point blank. If an occasional snipe kills you be grateful for him. (that happens 1 every 100 games or even more)
  • People that have problems with FV4005 are the same ones that have problems with kv2. Yes its a 1 shot. But its also slow, badly armoured, slow turning turret that you should learn to flank and denny any shots or bait him in to missing. After that both fv4005 and KV2 are DEAD. Period!
  • Ok so we nerf the HE. So what do you expect to happen to KV2 after that? Will you cry again in forums when it suddenly gets 2 barrels or 107mm gun that has 180pen and faster reload? You do realise that taking away something means usually a considerable compensation.
  • KV2 exists as a premium. So I highly doubt that the KV2 will be affected in any meaningful way. Given that WG doesnt want to upset the people who bought KV2®.

• As someone who still likes to play his kv2 a lot. I can honestly say that when I face one myself in either my KV2 or some other low tier tank. If it kills me, in most cases it was my fault. Rarely do I see homing shots of 152mm derp gun. I usually kill them by flanking them or ambushing them. If standing in front of it and shooting stationary is your idea of how to deal with one. Than my friends .... the problem is you.

Edited by Venom7000, 27 November 2019 - 04:29 AM.

tajj7 #16 Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:37 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28447 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostVenom7000, on 27 November 2019 - 03:27 AM, said:

People who think that high pen/dmg of KV2 is the reason the KV2 is "OP" and needs to be part of the rebalance, is a m@£n.
Its a fv4005 in lower tiers.

Also people forget that:

• KV2 shoots, kv2 kills/ or cripples...kv2 now is reloading 100years... kv2 gets killed by tier 4 tank....
  • Accuracies in which kv2 works are almost point blank. If an occasional snipe kills you be grateful for him. (that happens 1 every 100 games or even more)
  • People that have problems with FV4005 are the same ones that have problems with kv2. Yes its a 1 shot. But its also slow, badly armoured, slow turning turret that you should learn to flank and denny any shots or bait him in to missing. After that both fv4005 and KV2 are DEAD. Period!
  • Ok so we nerf the HE. So what do you expect to happen to KV2 after that? Will you cry again in forums when it suddenly gets 2 barrels or 107mm gun that has 180pen and faster reload? You do realise that taking away something means usually a considerable compensation.
  • KV2 exists as a premium. So I highly doubt that the KV2 will be affected in any meaningful way. Given that WG doesnt want to upset the people who bought KV2®.

• As someone who still likes to play his kv2 a lot. I can honestly say that when I face one myself in either my KV2 or some other low tier tank. If it kills me, in most cases it was my fault. Rarely do I see homing shots of 152mm derp gun. I usually kill them by flanking them or ambushing them. If standing in front of it and shooting stationary is your idea of how to deal with one. Than my friends .... the problem is you.

Block Quote

As someone who still likes to play his kv2 a lot'

That will explain your oh so objective comments LMAO.

Block Quote

KV2 shoots, kv2 kills/ or cripples...kv2 now is reloading 100years... kv2 gets killed by tier 4 tank....

Complete utter 100% nonsense, KV-2 reload with a rammer and vents is 20.25s, add in food and BIA, that goes down to sub 19s. It has 860 health and will still bounce the odd shot, so what tier 4 tank has over 2,400 DPM? 

And that is even accounting for a perfect scenario where the tank it is shooting at (if it's not been one shot/crippled by the KV-2) is immediately and continuously able to shoot at the KV-2, which if there is any sort of cover is just not going to happen.

So in most cases said tank has to rush to the KV-2 in it's cover, which means covering distance, which means that 20s reload is tick tocking away, even a Cromwell can only travel about 17 m/s at full speed, so even if the KV-2 is only 100m away (a pretty standard engagement distance) it will take a Cromwell, at full speed, at least 6s to cover that distance, if it has to accelerate it's more likely going to 8-10s, so the KV-2 is already halfway through it's reload by the time the Cromwell gets there, leaving it 10-12s AT BEST, to kill the KV-2.

Not going to happen, even in best circumstances it might get 3 shots at best in that period, which is not even half the KV-2s health before the KV-2 now has another shot loaded that can easily one shot a Cromwell with ease hitting it pretty much anywhere and it can easily two shot it even without a pen. 

And of course we are ignoring the reality that in most situations there will be teammates round to help the KV-2

To suggest that tanks can easily kill a KV-2 during it's reload is completely unrealistic and basically doesn't happen.

Block Quote

Accuracies in which kv2 works are almost point blank. If an occasional snipe kills you be grateful for him.

Yeh not recognising how accuracy works in this game where a large proportion of shots will hit dead centre regardless of the accuracy of the tank and completely ignoring the fact the KV-2 only needs to HIT most tier 6 and below tanks and chances are it will pen as most tanks it faces have little armour, and even then it will probably still take 300-400 HP from the target anyway.

Block Quote

I have already dispelled the dead nonsense, realistically it's not going to happen even in ideal circumstances, but let's also compare the KV-2 to the FV4005/215b 183 -

• KV-2 has a better reload.
  • KV-2 in relation to it's tier has higher alpha (FV4005/215b 183 can't even with a high roll one shot tier 10 heavies, KV-2 can one shot tier 6 heavies with a low roll and will one shot all tier 6 meds and even some tier 7s, FV4005/215b 183 needs a high roll to one shot most tier 10 meds)
  • KV-2 faces more things with less armour.
  • KV-2 is smaller and it's turret is not going to be penned by HE, whereas 4005 turret does get penned by any HE).
  • KV-2 has heavy tank HP, FV4005/215b 183 has TD HP. 
  • KV-2 has better gun handling than the FV4005/215b 183
  • KV-2 will bounce more shots than the 4005 as well
  • KV-2 faces tanks with worse gun handling than the FV4005/215b 183does (for example T-34-85, a good tier 6 russian med has 2.21s aim time, 0.21/0.21/0.13 dispersion, but an Obj. 140, a good tier 10 russian med, has 2.01s aim time, 0.08,0.08. 0.10 dispersion) meaning tanks trying to aim at a KV-2 have to aim for longer than tanks do on tier 10 at the 183s, giving the KV-2 more opportunity to fire at them, meaning the KV-2s gun handling (which is already better) is effectively far far better than the 183s is. 

The equivalent 'deathstar' on tier 10 to be as effective and strong as the KV-2 is on tier 6, would have about 2,300 hit points, way better gun handling than either 183 has, it would have about 2200 alpha damage with about 260 pen on the HESH and a 20s reload, sounds balanced yeh? 

Block Quote

The same 107mm that exists on the T-150 and no one has a problem wit? yeh that is a way better alternative than the OP 152mm it currently has, you can't one shot same tier meds with 300 alpha, you can't bypass the armour of tier 8 heavies with a 105mm using AP. 

m1x_angelico #17 Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25511 battles
  • [-VETO] -VETO

Is there any premium tank that relies on HE?

If this is the case, they may have an issues and legitimate claims for money refund.

However, if there are no such tanks, or they make such tanks OP in some other way, then they can do what they want and create new issues and game imbalances without fixing the current important issues like invisible walls, invisible rocks, soapy rocks, MM balancing, and many more.

That's just WG kind of thinking I've noticed so far.

mikes2210 #18 Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:54 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16934 battles
  • [-UDG-] -UDG-

View PostHomer_J, on 26 November 2019 - 09:01 AM, said:

Well it seems that despite coming to the party really late you don't understand any of the changes.

HE will ALMOST always do SOME damage.  It isn't going to do full damage every hit, they are just tweaking the calculation so that armour can't soak up 100% as it does now.  But spaced armour will still give some protection and 0 damage HE will still be possible.

It seems that you don't understand these changes and believe all the nonsense wg tells you without even checking it.

Yes this is true and it will actually work very similar to live server.

They say it will be better for tracking.  Along with the damage reduction there is a complete rework of the way it damages external vs internal modules.

BS, doesn't work like that at all. It's even less reliable for detracking because it has absurdly low alpha and often can't even take away tracks HP pool.

Derp guns will be the most affected by the change, there will be no more totally RNG dependant full damage penetrations but on the other hand every shot will be more reliable.  They may need some more rebalancing, we won't really know until it goes live along with all the other changes.

Full penetrations are not totally RNG dependant. If you take T110E3 and i take sheridan i can shoot you a thousand times from the front and deal somewhere around 200 dmg per shot, i will NEVER penetrate. However if i go behind you, i will ALWAYS penetrate your paper armored engine compartment and deal full damage. And this is what makes it fun and rewarding to actually play derp and use brain in the process. With these new changes, this element will be gone. If i wanted to do reliable damage i would take any more accurate and faster reloading tank, why the hell would i use derp for that? Derps will never pen, never do that rewarding full dmg, istead it will do consistent damage no matter where you aim = dumbing the game down

It's a lot more complicated than just reducing damage (which they raised slightly on test 2) and penetration.

No it really isn't. Just reducing damage is exactly what happened and it's exactly how shooting HE on test server works now. It does less damage no matter who and where i shoot, even to paper armor tanks.

This takes away skill, doesn't work like described at all, doesn't reward people for knowing when and where to use HE. It's just stupid.

Edited by mikes2210, 27 November 2019 - 02:38 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #19 Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34515 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View Postm1x_angelico, on 27 November 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

Is there any premium tank that relies on HE?

KV2-R. Don't worry, WG won't touch it.

Homer_J #20 Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:12 PM

Field Marshal

• 32940 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postmikes2210, on 27 November 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

BS, doesn't work like that at all. It's even less reliable for detracking because it has absurdly low alpha and often can't even take away tracks HP pool.

Alpha damage is completely irrelevant to module damage.

Each shell has a module damage stat which is applied (+/-25%) against modules, last time I checked module damage for all shells for a particular gun had the same figure.  So HE did the same module damage as AP or APCR.  The only difference was the splash, which for most tanks is pretty irrelevant.

The idea that HE is better for tracking is a myth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users