• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

OnlyLucky_84 #1 Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:47 PM

Private

• Player
  • 35806 battles
  • [SWRM] SWRM

Hello Tankers,

I would like to report this weird incident that happened to me while playing with my T95.

at the 4 minute mark i was rushin am 8.8 Jagdtiger tier 8 and he managed to track me from the front of the tank, but what was weird that he managed to do damage and almost took 1200 HP from that position, and he managed to kill me.

the following image shows one of the shots that did damage and all of his shots was in the same location

t95.png 

and here is the replay  link

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5102735

I hope someone help to explain this issue, or to transfer it to game development team.

Best Regards and Good Luck.

UrQuan #2 Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:51 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21645 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

That is indeed a trickshot nearly unique to the T95. Issue is the thick sideskirts that can cause shells that hit it from the inside to ricochet into the tank causing damage which is what happened to you.

Most sideskirts are too thin to cause ricochets from shells except from very low caliber guns but the T95 has rather thick sideskirts allowing ricochets when AP /APCR impacts it at 70 degrees or more.

Note that this is a very rare occurrence as the shell has to hit the inside of the sideskirt at the right angles & overcome the spaced armor (tracks) to do damage like that.

Edit: best way to combat a repeat shot is by changing the angle of your tank a bit as that can remove the conditions needed to damage you this way.

Edited by UrQuan, 26 November 2019 - 11:22 PM.

Homer_J #3 Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:18 PM

Field Marshal

• 32930 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I guess it was as unexpected for the other guy, they went to track you and when they did damage they figured they may as well keep shooting the same spot.

But as mentioned, it's an almost unique weakness of the T95.

Dava_117 #4 Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:23 PM

Major General

• 23021 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Not an issue nor a bug, but simple application of the game mechanics, as UrQuan correctly explained. Pay attention at your angling and you should be able to avoid this situation in future. :)

Balc0ra #5 Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:55 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74388 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
A not too uncommon topic with regards to the T95. As tracks don't always "eat" the shots if you will if the shots go wide. And as pointed out above. The skirts tend to send them back. Last one was unlucky and had an engine fire after getting hit there.

OnlyLucky_84 #6 Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:40 AM

Private

• Player
  • 35806 battles
  • [SWRM] SWRM

View PostUrQuan, on 26 November 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

That is indeed a trickshot nearly unique to the T95. Issue is the thick sideskirts that can cause shells that hit it from the inside to ricochet into the tank causing damage which is what happened to you.

Most sideskirts are too thin to cause ricochets from shells except from very low caliber guns but the T95 has rather thick sideskirts allowing ricochets when AP /APCR impacts it at 70 degrees or more.

Note that this is a very rare occurrence as the shell has to hit the inside of the sideskirt at the right angles & overcome the spaced armor (tracks) to do damage like that.

Edit: best way to combat a repeat shot is by changing the angle of your tank a bit as that can remove the conditions needed to damage you this way.

I is a pretty good explanation, but i have tested it on every angle at training room, and on tanks GG, i couldn't do it again.

t95_tanks GG.png

NUKLEAR_SLUG #7 Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:47 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34502 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
As others said, it's a rare occurrence because you have to get caught just right. Tanks.gg isn't going to show you anything useful because it's calculating damage against the side skirt not accounting for internal ricochet into your hull. 

Spurtung #8 Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:53 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 75074 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostOnlyLucky_84, on 27 November 2019 - 02:40 AM, said:

I is a pretty good explanation, but i have tested it on every angle at training room, and on tanks GG, i couldn't do it again.

t95_tanks GG.png

Because in tanks.gg nothing happens after the first impact, as that's all it will be able to simulate. It hits the track, case closed.

samuelx43a #9 Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27274 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I'm going to give guys like you +1s because you provided a screenshot, a replay and eplained your situation in a proper way.

Tho that explains why I have been able to ocasionally do damage to the tracks of a T95 every so often

UrQuan #10 Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:34 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21645 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostOnlyLucky_84, on 27 November 2019 - 03:40 AM, said:

t95_tanks GG.png

As others said tanks GG (and most other impact calculation sites/programs) don't take it far enough. They just calculate what happens after first impact (the tracks), not taking into account the shell travels further doing a second hit (the internal sideskirt) and to complete what happened to you, the shell continues after that ricochet & hits your hull (third hit).

To be able to calculate that on the fly with all shell mechanics in play would require some serious computing power.

It is part of why one shouldn't be too reliant on third part sites. They are great tools that can help you explain stuff but with fringe/odd stuff (like your example) they can add to the mystery instead of explain it.

And a freebee from me: HEAT has an autobounce angle of 85 degrees even tho Tanks.gg claims otherwise (try it, use a HEAT shell on some thin armor in tanks.GG & it won't bounce at 85 degrees, however it will do so ingame!)

PS: thanks for the screenshot & replay btw! It really helped me to give you such a fast reply!

fisco77 #11 Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 77821 battles

View PostUrQuan, on 26 November 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

Issue is the thick sideskirts ...

... but the T95 has rather thick sideskirts allowing ricochets when AP /APCR impacts it at 70 degrees or more.

i couldn't get it through my head what you meant, it would mean the sideskirts would have to be much thicker than the side armor (you have to include the tracks again on the way back to the hull), which seemed unlikely, we are talking about the bunker that is the T95. Boy was i surprised! It has 50.8mm of side hull armor, 40mm of tracks, and 101.6mm!!! of sideskirts! That's good 10cm. Did it really have such thick sideskirts or is this a 'feature'?

Edit: I think they were, yes. Damn that thing is big!

Edited by fisco77, 27 November 2019 - 11:20 PM.

Also tagged with Penetration

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users