Happy Union Day !

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

VarzA #1 Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:46 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27363 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI
Today is 1st of December, Union day for Romanians and the national day of Romania.

Not wanting to outshine WG's efforts in actually even mentioning it (very hard since they did/said nothing), i decided to make a thread about it in the Romanian section of the forum (which doesn't exist), and maybe tie it a little with the events that led to it.

The whole name of 'Romania' is rather new, but the idea of uniting all of the valacchians under 1 flag was first formed by Michael the Brave in 1600-1601 when he united the 3 principalities, before being betrayed and killed by his western allies (he was nicknamed 'the Brave' posthumously because he refused to pay tribute to the Ottoman Empire, fought them, and won quite a few battles against the odds .... even got the gates of Constantinopol).

After that, several centuries of being split up followed until late 1859 when the Moldavian Colonel Alexandru Ioan Cuza was elected prince in both Moldavia and Vallachia, essentially uniting them, the result of a process that had started some 27-28yrs earlier and that was followed by quiet action in both countries, to not draw the attention of the big bullies on the block, Ottoman Empire, Russian Tzarist Empire and Austro-Hungarian Empire which essentially intersected on our soil and had historically used our country as a fighting ground.

In 1866, the german prince Carol of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen consolidated the union after being chosen as monarch and adopting a Constitution naming the country as Romania (later known as Carol the 1st).

Carol died in early 1914, but his nephew Ferdinand who was brought up in Germany came and succeeded him, and led Romania to the side of the western powers in WW1, in part also because the dream of all of us was a united Romania and the Austro-Hungarian empire was a problem, it had Transylvania.

At the end of WW1, Romania finally was united and the celebration of that is on the 1st of December 1918.

Ferdinand was put in the position in WW1 of choosing between the best interests of the Romanian people and his german identity and in the end he chose what was best for his subjects .... so he is remembered as a very honorable and noble person.

He also promised the agrarian reform in order to keep the country together (outside agitators coming from the north-east were trying to start a peasant's revolt by pushing this), and kept his promise.

WW1 and it's aftermath led to the creation of an enormous number of nations in Europe, most of them in the Balkans and Eastern-Europe.

It also influenced countless literary works concerning the war, personal identity and national identity; all is quiet on the western front (where you can feel like leaf in the wind ... no control over your destiny), hanged men's forest by Rebreanu, and thank you czech dudes for Svejk.

All of them dealt in one way or the other with this singular event, the end of WW1.

And this is where i criticize WG ....

Your EU population is dropping, less westerners seem to be playing and the east-europeans are gaining more disposable income and numbers on this server, and you do nothing to mention the national days of the various countries ?

We don't all need tech trees in game (though a general european tech tree would be nice, it wouldn't need to reach t10), we don't need a ton of free stuff, but some mention of this would be nice.

Is it really that hard to write a set of articles you can recycle every year with some small mention ingame of it ?

Because the above was written by 1 dude in 5-10minutes off his memory of stuff he learned some 20yrs ago; even with fact checking and pictures, you could have 1 guy write in under 1 month the articles for all of these 'little nations'.

But hey .... we need more t8 premiums, right ?

TheJumpMaster #2 Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:49 AM

Major General

• 50550 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Congratulations!!!! Romania is a beautiful country.

I will however move this post to the off topic section and hope that people will continue to visit it there

Cheers,

Jumpy

Edited by TheJumpMaster, 01 December 2019 - 07:57 AM.

Ceeb #3 Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:50 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 33239 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

Happy Union day,

Everyday is a school day, didnt know that was a thing for Romainia.

06:51 Added after 1 minute

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 01 December 2019 - 06:49 AM, said:

I will however move this post to the off topic section and hope that people will continue to visit it there

Cheers,

Jumpy

DId it really need Red text?

TheJumpMaster #4 Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:56 AM

Major General

• 50550 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCeeb, on 01 December 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

DId it really need Red text?

Since it was a note concerning an action performed to moderate the thread, yes.

06:57 Added after 1 minute
Please review my post and tell me if this improves the situation.

VarzA #5 Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:58 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27363 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 01 December 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

Cheers,

Jumpy

Thank you for moving it into the super high visibility section of the forum, i'm sure tens of people will view it now. :)

Edited by VarzA, 01 December 2019 - 07:59 AM.

TheJumpMaster #6 Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:00 AM

Major General

• 50550 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostVarzA, on 01 December 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

Thank you for moving it into the super high visibility section of the forum, i'm sure tens of people will view it now. :)

There is still a link in the Gameplay section, that will bring forum member, in droves, to your post.

VarzA #7 Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:02 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27363 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 01 December 2019 - 09:00 AM, said:

There is still a link in the Gameplay section, that will bring forum member, in droves, to your post.

How long does that last ?

While it was an off-topic type of thread, my hope was that WG's ppl would see this and get some ideas about how to handle national holidays in the end .... i like the game and i see this as keeping more ppl vested in it.

TheJumpMaster #8 Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:05 AM

Major General

• 50550 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The link stays there

Captain_Kremen0 #9 Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:20 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 39315 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

Well Varza - considering all the eastern europeans are over here apparantly taking our womens and jobs they could just have a uk server.

/sarcasm off.

In case people didnt get it.

P.S

Dont forget about Vlad - he might have been a right bastard but we'd all be speaking Turkish if he hadn't sent them packing.

Edited by Captain_Kremen0, 01 December 2019 - 10:22 AM.

_SpartanWarrior_ #10 Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36658 battles
  • [BLOJ] BLOJ

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 01 December 2019 - 01:05 AM, said:

The link stays there

I would keep the topic where it was

MeNoobTank #11 Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17068 battles
  • [GT_WC] GT_WC
Happy Birthday Romania ! :)

Tankistu #12 Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31155 battles
  • [BOSII] BOSII

View PostVarzA, on 01 December 2019 - 06:46 AM, said:

And this is where i criticize WG ....

Your EU population is dropping, less westerners seem to be playing and the east-europeans are gaining more disposable income and numbers on this server, and you do nothing to mention the national days of the various countries ?

We don't all need tech trees in game (though a general european tech tree would be nice, it wouldn't need to reach t10), we don't need a ton of free stuff, but some mention of this would be nice.

Is it really that hard to write a set of articles you can recycle every year with some small mention ingame of it ?

Because the above was written by 1 dude in 5-10minutes off his memory of stuff he learned some 20yrs ago; even with fact checking and pictures, you could have 1 guy write in under 1 month the articles for all of these 'little nations'.

But hey .... we need more t8 premiums, right ?

Writing articles about national days would be too much, and not necessary.  

If Wargaming wanted to mark national days they could use small in-game pop-up windows with a specific message, like saying "happy national day" or whatever, and viewable only by players whose IPs match. Like Google does with its national day doodles.

And aside from that, maybe a special exterior paint/camo option for that nation (not just the flag), purchasable with gold? I guess that would be a win-win for both sides. 

VarzA #13 Posted 01 December 2019 - 02:17 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27363 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostCaptain_Kremen0, on 01 December 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

Well Varza - considering all the eastern europeans are over here apparantly taking our womens and jobs they could just have a uk server.

/sarcasm off.

In case people didnt get it.

P.S

Dont forget about Vlad - he might have been a right bastard but we'd all be speaking Turkish if he hadn't sent them packing.

Vlad adopted one of the first traffic laws in Europe.

Regarding his name, Dracula actually meant Dragon ... as his father was in the order of the Dragon that was given/setup to fight the power of the Ottoman Empire.

13:19 Added after 2 minute

View PostTankistu, on 01 December 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

Writing articles about national days would be too much, and not necessary.  

If Wargaming wanted to mark national days they could use small in-game pop-up windows with a specific message, like saying "happy national day" or whatever, and viewable only by players whose IPs match. Like Google does with its national day doodles.

And aside from that, maybe a special exterior paint/camo option for that nation (not just the flag), purchasable with gold? I guess that would be a win-win for both sides. 

They already do this for some of the other nations in this game.

They did it for Germany, for Poland and Czechoslovakia, as well as some other nations.

It would not take that much effort to do something like this.

Tankistu #14 Posted 01 December 2019 - 02:27 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31155 battles
  • [BOSII] BOSII

View PostVarzA, on 01 December 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

They already do this for some of the other nations in this game.

They did it for Germany, for Poland and Czechoslovakia, as well as some other nations.

It would not take that much effort to do something like this.

Would you feel so much better seeing that pop-up window when you log in? I doubt many people care about such trifle. 

Nishi_Kinuyo #15 Posted 01 December 2019 - 02:32 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9307 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Happy YunYun day!

Spoiler

VarzA #16 Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:45 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27363 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostTankistu, on 01 December 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

Would you feel so much better seeing that pop-up window when you log in? I doubt many people care about such trifle. 

Not sure about that termination in your name, kinda makes me think you are romanian.

Either way, my answer is yes, a resounding YES.

Here's the problem .... both my country and other countries in Europe are young nations (relative to others), and to some extent we have been brought up to not be super-duper nationalistic.

But when you actually take a look at the longer lived nations, or nations that formed into empires, or who kept their population in 1 whole nation, you realize that what is the common denominator is a hefty streak of nationalism.

When i think of us, i don't want to think of the super-duper rabid nationalism that is currently being manipulated and taken advantage of by politicians, but a low-key pride in who we are, what we are, our language, and our history.

I'm not asking for a huge tech tree of fantasy tanks, or for them to spend tens of millions of euros for my own/our own ego ... just to put some guy in the EU region to work for 1-2 months to make these articles, which will automatically come online, with maybe a small tiny event and pop-up ingame ... which would give them back a lot of positive feedback from not just the romanian people but from the people of other nations who are too small or not seen as important and consequently ... get forgotten.

Poisoned_Dwarf #17 Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:52 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 41193 battles

Pálinka time.

VarzA #18 Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:56 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27363 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostPoisoned_Dwarf, on 01 December 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

Pálinka time.

Thanks for the support man !

I gotta do a bit of an explanation here.

Plum brandy in general is done from plums, and it carries different names in the Balkans, tuica (said more like tzuica) in romanian, rakija, slivovitz, and so on, hungarians call it palinka.

Something similar can be done with pears, peaches or even apples, but you have to add sugar to the process, the least amount to pears actually.

Otherwise if it's just plums, we put it in a barrel, and cover it when the top layer hardens ... it can take as little as 2-3 months to 9 months (yes, happened to my family) for full fermentation. Yeast can be put in to accelerate the fermentation and drop it down to 2-3 weeks, but some ppl won't do that (we don't)

In Romania, tuica is plum brandy distilled once of around 30% alcohol content, palinca is double distilled at around 45-55% and there is also a triple distilled one done in Transylvania that is much higher.

From 200L barrel you can get around 35-40L of 30% alcohol tuica, the leftover mass (called 'borhot';) can be given to pigs to eat .... in about 2-3 weeks it gives their meat a very very awesome taste.

Plum brandy done right, won't give you a nasty headache in the morning if you drank too much, it's much lighter.

And it's not as crisp and harsh as vodka or whiskey, it's smoother.

It only gets harsh if it is double or triple distilled.

It can also be aged in smoked oak barrels, it gets a little crispier this way if it's single distillation, and if it's double it actually gets slightly smoother.

Double distilled one can also be used as a base for other alcohols, you can add it to sour cherries with some sugar and drain the liquid (it tastes amazing, we call it visinata), you can add it to blueberries, with some sugar and then drain it ... the resulting alcohol has the color and consistency of blood but it is amazing to drink.

You can add it to crushed fresh mint (my uncle does this) to get a fluorescent green type liquid, obviously mint flavored.

I'm trying to get my uncle to experiment with chocolate.

Before the wall fell, making this at home was illegal, so you had to be careful, my grandfather used to do his in the middle of the night, around 01:00 AM.

Today, in some areas it's still illegal but it's impossible to enforce, pretty much every 5-10th house in every village in the Balkans has a still, it's why the region is such a huge plum producer.

jabster #19 Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:48 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12761 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostVarzA, on 01 December 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

Here's the problem .... both my country and other countries in Europe are young nations (relative to others), and to some extent we have been brought up to not be super-duper nationalistic.

But when you actually take a look at the longer lived nations, or nations that formed into empires, or who kept their population in 1 whole nation, you realize that what is the common denominator is a hefty streak of nationalism.

Way to go, how to get people on your side - insult millions upon millions of them.

VarzA #20 Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:04 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27363 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

I'm in my late 30's and i have over 25yrs of reading history, i first got started after reading Liddel Hart, Wiesenthal and yes, also Sven Hassel (quite eclectic collection but in my defense i was 12-13 at the time).

I still remember when i got as a gift CIA's Factbook (the one about nations).

To this day, i still read up on this kind of stuff, and this streak of nationalism is what i see in many countries, but also what i see as something lacking in younger nations, despite having a language and common heritage linking them.

I don't know why you find my statement insulting, but feel free to elaborate on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users