Bring back classic graphics & sounds as an option

Poll Nostalgia & stuff

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Bringing back classic grapichs & sounds (20 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Would you like having a "classic" option in the settings to optionally play the game with the old textures and sounds?

1. Yes, I miss the old graphics, cause nostalgia! (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. No, new is better! I don't care or have any nostalgia about the old graphics. (15 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Hide poll

RetroCh1cken #1 Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:17 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5658 battles
  • [-UM] -UM
As the poll asks, would you like this feature as an option?
Personally, I'd love this and honestly, I wouldn't even care about the newest tanks having their original HD textures (maybe lower the resolution a bit) cause I've recently been missing the old stuff as of late cause, you know, nostalgia and they still have the textures and sounds so it feels like it could work to implement.

For me, in the worst case scenario, they could mix the old textures with new textures that doesn't have an already old version and just lower the resolution a bit.
Just personally think it would be cool to play wot for a while with the classic visuals & sounds now and then.

Edited by RetroCh1cken, 02 December 2019 - 09:41 AM.

Forcellrus #2 Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:21 AM

Sergeant

• 14885 battles
  • [DSCRD] DSCRD
As for the sounds, there are plenty of mods that bring back the nostalgic atmosphere. I'm not sure if there are any for the graphics tho, but lowering the settings should at least bring back a somewhat similar feeling.

I_Gutmensch_Deluxe_I #3 Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:24 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18664 battles
  • [NASO] NASO

I dont need the old Graphics but i miss the "old" Maps... Erlenberg was waaaay better before 1.0 to Name just one.

I cant figure out how to play many of the "new" Maps, the rework was a big F*ck up for me. 

I lost 5%wr and 700wn8 in my recent stats since then :(

Edited by I_Gutmensch_Deluxe_I, 02 December 2019 - 09:28 AM.

RetroCh1cken #4 Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:26 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5658 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostForcellrus, on 02 December 2019 - 08:21 AM, said:

As for the sounds, there are plenty of mods that bring back the nostalgic atmosphere. I'm not sure if there are any for the graphics tho, but lowering the settings should at least bring back a somewhat similar feeling.

Yeah I've tried this, it semi-works. Played at the lowest of settings with my T-50-2 in the "classic" style but you can still, even then, notice the graphics looks somewhat better, the tank textures are enterily different lighter shadows and stuff instead of the old dark shadows and that on the tanks.

Forcellrus #5 Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:31 AM

Sergeant

• 14885 battles
  • [DSCRD] DSCRD

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 02 December 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

Yeah I've tried this, it semi-works. Played at the lowest of settings with my T-50-2 in the "classic" style but you can still, even then, notice the graphics looks somewhat better, the tank textures are enterily different lighter shadows and stuff instead of the old dark shadows and that on the tanks.

That's the best you can get with the new engine. Only thing you can do is hope for the Classic (0.7.0) client to make its' return, as it did during the previous April's fools.

Frostilicus #6 Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:34 AM

Colonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 23688 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-
I certainly don't want a return to the old graphics, but the old sounds were much better, the anaemic clunky/pingy sort of sound when you're in sniper view is horrid :)

Balc0ra #7 Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:36 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74388 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Well, Classic server was fun. And I suspect it will appear again next year going by the video we did see last week "what version? Who knows". But that was short fun. And it did not sound well or look well tbh. I'm sure people would love to see it as an option. But... I would never use it tbh. The only old sound that was good, was for 150mm guns or bigger. They did feel big. Anything less did feel smaller. Tho not as bad as the 9.x sound rework they did where 88's sounded like a 9mm.

View PostI_Gutmensch_Deluxe_I, on 02 December 2019 - 09:24 AM, said:

Erlenberg was waaaay better before 1.0 to Name just one.

I'm amazed that so many liked the old version better. They both suck. But the old was just camping the 2 or 9 line hill with 10+ guns, a scout in town. And then you waited for either north to be flanked, or one team to push and die the middle. The average match on it was 12 min. Yes there are the tree line camping spots now. But at least you can drive around those and still force them out somewhat safer vs pushing past town on the old map.

RetroCh1cken #8 Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:37 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5658 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostForcellrus, on 02 December 2019 - 08:31 AM, said:

That's the best you can get with the new engine. Only thing you can do is hope for the Classic (0.7.0) client to make its' return, as it did during the previous April's fools.

I'm not saying the pyschics system itself is supposed to be changed and all that, only the visual stuff like the textures and sounds as an option which is enterily possible, regardless of what engine they are using.
That's the thing, the textures and sounds still exist and from what I know the tanks haven't morphed into a different shape, only the textures have changed, so it's enterily possible to just slap on the old textures, at least on the tanks.

08:39 Added after 1 minute

View PostFrostilicus, on 02 December 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

I certainly don't want a return to the old graphics, but the old sounds were much better, the anaemic clunky/pingy sort of sound when you're in sniper view is horrid :)

The thing is I'm not saying it should replace the current stuff, oh god no. But only have it as an option in the settings for those who would like to play with the old visuals to fullfill their nostalgia now & then.:)

Edited by RetroCh1cken, 02 December 2019 - 09:39 AM.

Frostilicus #9 Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:43 AM

Colonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 23688 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 02 December 2019 - 08:37 AM, said:

I'm not saying the pyschics system itself is supposed to be changed and all that, only the visual stuff like the textures and sounds as an option which is enterily possible, regardless of what engine they are using.
That's the thing, the textures and sounds still exist and from what I know the tanks haven't morphed into a different shape, only the textures have changed, so it's enterily possible to just slap on the old textures, at least on the tanks.

08:39 Added after 1 minute

The thing is I'm not saying it should replace the current stuff, oh god no. But only have it as an option in the settings for those who would like to play with the old visuals to fullfill their nostalgia now & then.:)

Yeah, I can buy what you're saying - we were told when the new sounds came in that it wasn't possible to go back to the old sounds, so an option wasn't possible, but if you can install a mod to enable them I don't see what's so impossible 

Yaccay #10 Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 35415 battles
  • [4TL] 4TL

Recently WG announced, they will create again  nostalgia WoT sometimes in 2020 for a few weeks.

You know the original (low polygon count) tank models, original textures. original (non-existing) physics, original game balance. etc, etc.

So just wait a few months and you can enjoy the retro WoT.

will0hlep #11 Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:13 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10182 battles
  • [TD_UK] TD_UK
Why not just mod your game?

RetroCh1cken #12 Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:53 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5658 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostYaccay, on 02 December 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

Recently WG announced, they will create again  nostalgia WoT sometimes in 2020 for a few weeks.

You know the original (low polygon count) tank models, original textures. original (non-existing) physics, original game balance. etc, etc.

So just wait a few months and you can enjoy the retro WoT.

Oh wow, really? That's good to hear

01:55 Added after 1 minute

View Postwill0hlep, on 02 December 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

Why not just mod your game?

Cause it's sadly from what I know not possible to mod ground textures and such and even if it was, no one has made it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users