Game design lesson 2 1/2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

FizzlePopBerryTwist #1 Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30187 battles
  • [FIM] FIM

First. Apparently the last thread wasn't 'clear' enough. A side to side comparison doesn't cut it apparently. Sadly, i didn't feel the need to 'spell it all out' since i am convinced the player base is pretty good at... spotting... the difference... (ha... what a laugh).

2q75oB8.jpg

Left side:

Necessary blueprints = at the bottom.

What you have.....  hidden allllll the way (and please follow the red line!) in the top right in a 2 digits smaller font size! 

Right side:

Necessary blueprints = at the bottom. 

What you have = also at the bottom.

Digits align below another. Simple as that. All the necessary data is in ONE spot and ONE font-size.

You can't make things more clear unless you create a "2more blueprints missing" pop-up when hovering above the selection.

I hope our kind staff can see the 'issue'. There is no reason to shove those pieces of information, which belong together, into opposing corners.

[like in fighting games, your HP bar is above YOU - and not above the enemy!^.^ < there s a reason for that... *shocked*]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Next 'issue'. And i put those in ' ' since design easily can cripple, if not kill function necessarily.

I have 167 tanks at this moment in my garage and 374 tanks played in total. That's a lot...  (and i bet a lot people got a lot more)

I for my part got curious to find out i was in the Top100 ChiRi players (according to the 'hall of fame';)!? (#92... tbh. the fruit must hang low) and wanted to check on the 'WHY' ... for curiosity sake Oo

Yet i couldn't find it right away, despite sorting the list by name:

362qgJB.png

Type 5 Chi Ri. (it's named like this 3 times!!! Tooltip, description, and panel border!) ... yet its "" actual name "" is just... Chi-Ri... so 3 of 4 names LIED :)

That's when it hit me.... why isn't there VEHICLE SEARCH BAR?

Just Type(5) your vehicle name or parts of it... and the autofill will do the rest! - filter it down to all Ch-Ris or UDESeses... or Objects... or Type's... you get the idea.

No more scrolling up and down and sorting back and forth "what nation was it? What tier was it? which name was used again?" ... just enter 3~5 letters and that's that! Simple as it gets.

8hbhk24.jpg

To be fair... Eve Online had the same issue with the skill tree, which too had HUNDREDS of skills... and i too had to suggest a search bar (which we luckily got afterward...) It's always the same oddly enough...

At first, the list is short, but you have no idea [long search]. Then the list is a decent length and you got enough clue to know where to look [shortest]. Later you are experienced, but the sheer data is overwhelming [long again]

Life has a habit of repeating itself.  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

ps. since i think this isn't good enough... here one extra you might love!

pFJkl9D.png

Modul X is installed and... hoovering over the new module ( or pressing ALT ) will reveal it's ACTUAL INCREASE/DECREASE!

How often one has to go back and forth between modules to see all the details? 0 times, if you ask me...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

How often you want to look up another battle report, only to find it to be DROWNED in useless messages which take up 3/4 of your information tab?

nbxFUR6.png

Left side - "original" ...                                 /                Right side - "cleaned up" 

Red Area = previously wasted space!

Less spam, while providing more information (aka a 'total' of the costs';). Not that hard, is it? (i had a mod which did that, sadly its long gone<.&lt;)

I don't know about you... but in our land, if i bring: bread, milk, and sausage to the checkout at once... yet i never received a receipt JUST for the milk.... a receipt JUST for the bread... and a receipt JUST for the sausage.

Why should anyone end up with 3 receipts for one transaction!? (look closely: you will find the screenshot borders 'fading out' ... thats how much space it takes up!)

Again: like in Eve Online. The description of 1 drone (Hobgoblin I) took up 3,5 pages! wtf. I boiled it down to 0.75 pages and guess what the drone status looks like today!? GUESS WHAT! ... YES- they took my design!

I'm baffled over and over again people can look at this kind of design for 10 years and be like "yep... looking good" without seeing any room for improvement. Professionalism. 

My paint > your staff :child:

Edited by FizzlePopBerryTwist, 03 December 2019 - 01:00 AM.

LCpl_Jones #2 Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13268 battles
wargaming can not develop clear user friendly interfaces, it's clearly way beyond their skill level. look at the shop 'improvement'

Dava_117 #3 Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:15 AM

Major General

• 22906 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLCpl_Jones, on 03 December 2019 - 12:01 AM, said:

wargaming can not develop clear user friendly interfaces, it's clearly way beyond their skill level. look at the shop 'improvement'

Guess you didn't tried the new after battle report on sandbox server... So much coding time wasted to make looks better and broke something that looks ok and work.

FizzlePopBerryTwist #4 Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:21 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30187 battles
  • [FIM] FIM

View PostDava_117, on 02 December 2019 - 11:15 PM, said:

Guess you didn't tried the new after battle report on sandbox server... So much coding time wasted to make looks better and broke something that looks ok and work.

I saw they made it full screen, which is fine when you don't want to reveal your 'stuff' (credits n such) but... the drawback is:

I T  T A K E S  U P  Y O U R  E N T I R E   S C R E E N !  

... I would like to see my tanks once in a while. This screen could get annoying real quick. I prefer my information compact... which reminds me... (now adding suggestion 4#)

Edited by FizzlePopBerryTwist, 03 December 2019 - 01:17 AM.

Dava_117 #5 Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:24 AM

Major General

• 22906 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostFizzlePopBerryTwist, on 03 December 2019 - 12:21 AM, said:

I saw they made it full screen, which is fine when you don't want to reveal your 'stuff' (credits n such) but... the drawback is:

I T  T A K E S  U P  Y O U R  E N T I R E   S C R E E N !  

... I would like to see those once in a while. This could get annoying real quick. I prefer my informations compact... which reminds me... (now adding suggestion 4#)

That is exactly what I don't like. The one we have now is a small and light window. That thing is a full screen thing that looks like a tablet game result screen. 

FizzlePopBerryTwist #6 Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:07 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30187 battles
  • [FIM] FIM

View PostDava_117, on 02 December 2019 - 11:24 PM, said:

That is exactly what I don't like. The one we have now is a small and light window. That thing is a full screen thing that looks like a tablet game result screen. 

Given the current gaming direction, i think they want to 'streamline' between their products. Aka: one design for everything: wot blitz, wot mercenaries, wot pc...  < Hands the 'it looks like for android' design. 

Design, in my humble opinion, should only help to present data. It MUST take a back seat to functionality. Always. That's why my design is far superior to theirs.

That's why something which is only meant to "look good" ends up "looking useless" soon after. A functional design is timeless...

In Germany, we have a saying which you could apply to it "qualität setzt sich durch" (quality prevails) ... means: if something is good, people WILL keep using it before everything else, including 'new shinies' aka... 'new design' in this case and i would take bets the fanbase will reject it AND there will be a change soon after to find a 'middle of the road'. aka the usual aka the 'why couldn't we have this in the first place?' (without testing our patience) :I

... but we are getting offtopic. 

I just wanted to 'show off' their designers within a lazy hour of my spare time. Mission objective: 1/1 :medal:

Edited by FizzlePopBerryTwist, 03 December 2019 - 01:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users