How to play the Setter?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Supercon22 #1 Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:35 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1879 battles

Hello!

The Tier 7 British Light Tank known as the Setter is bloody awful.

It's slow with terrible traverse. No armour. No camo. No view range. The worst thing about it is its DPM which with the stock configuration is worse than tier 1 tanks!

How do you play this tank? The most success I've had with it was suiscouting into the enemy, dying and getting 2000 assisted damage.

Serious answers only please. I've had lots of trolls and assholes in these forums and non-serious posts will be reported.

Thanks.

Venom7000 #2 Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:44 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7469 battles
Can I get a little bit more info?
  1. How trained is your crew? (what skills you have on each of them)
  2. are they 100%
  3. Do you have access to Binoculars and CamoNet?

eekeeboo #3 Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:08 AM

EU Video Content Manager

• WG Staff
  • 47328 battles

If you can master how to play this tank you will also learn how to play the French lights very well as well. 

Focus on old style scouting, knowing the right bushes and key scouting spots on maps where you can. As mentioned above utilising camo net and binos if you're on the credit saving side of things and try to play it safe, never yolo scout and never go into a fight unless you're absolutely certain you'll come out on top. 

Venom7000 #4 Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:15 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7469 battles

OK so few points before we start:

1. Light tanks are the hardest to master.
  2. Light British tanks are the hardest thing to master in this game.
  3. Given the number of battles you had and point 1 & 2. Its not a winning combination. So don’t beat yourself up if you are struggling.  Problem with your lack of battles is for mastering the light line in general. As for the british lights. Everyone struggles with them. They are fundamentally flawed (Except for the tier 8 premium)
  4. I would advise you to stay below tier 7 for few more hundred games in general. And to ditch the British Line until WG inevitably decides to rework it. Because it is legit useless in the current game condition.
  5. Problems that you mention are all 100% legit and correct. Even bigger problem is that ITS NOT GETTING BETTER going higher tiers in this line. Just look at the stats of tier 8 9 10 british lights. Awful aren't they?

That being said if you are still ready and determined to go thru:

1. Play as passive scout. Thats how “WG decided to make them”. Use the camo.
  2. Use BINOS + Camo Net + Vents + B&A and Recon & Situational Awareness if you can (maximise your view range)
  3. Conserve your health for end game when your horrible dpm wont be an issue because most tanks are half dead. (do the cleanup)
  4. Gun is to be used only if you were spotted and or if you can shoot without being spotted. (Double bush)
  5. Learn each map. Map awareness is the most important for LT. Where you can hide and so on.
  6. Get top gun and use 100% HE. Despite horrible gun stats. HE is actually decent pen on these tanks. It will help you vs other lights and wheeled cars. You will do max dmg your gun can do and you will most likely track them & cripple them.

Problem with British LT is that WG is asking you to play passive scout. Which is a bit of a problem since you have wheeled cars now that are LT killers. Not to mention that your performance is tied to the team 99%. They dont shoot what you spot you dont get assistance points….etc..etc.

So Maximise view range, (don't worry about the gun). Use the equipment and skills I suggested. Learn all the spots on each map. Good luck…. you will need it.

Edited by Venom7000, 03 December 2019 - 01:17 AM.

Unicorn_of_Steel #5 Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:39 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15489 battles
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A

@Venom7000: good info m8, guess i will stay away from that one for a while. One question, Setter is a tier 7 and you advise binocs over optics. Is this because of the intended passive scouting role of the Setter or do you advise this for all lights? Like the AMX and WZ series?

Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, 03 December 2019 - 07:41 AM.

Col_Potter #6 Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:33 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 35588 battles

Hi there

Nobody should play british lights except those who like big cactea in their backdoor....:teethhappy:.

Warning: Since iam not a dedicated scout player my view on things might be wrong.

The difference in usefulness between Binocs and optics lies in the playstyle you want to apply to your scouts.

Binocs are for the silent and stealthy camping scouts, while optics are for those that can take a more active role.

My setting: Binos for tanks that need to camp more (-> with lower combat effectiveness eg: German T8 has shitty gun but good viewrange, brits have shitty anything), while optics are for more active scouts like french (non wheelers) or soviets. I am still not sure about chinese scouts though. Intermediate viewrange and quite good but derpy guns...... i think optics work better if you cant decide immediately because you can play a little more flexible with them.

Also not sure about the french gocarts. I dont play them. -> Panhard does not work for me. No time or interest to finish it. I guess i'd put on neither binos nor optics because their bad base viewrange and mount something else instead.

Hope i could help a little

GL for all

Supercon22 #7 Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:35 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1879 battles

Hello. Let me answer some of those questions.

My crew are currently at 88% with no skills but it honestly doesn't matter much. Every battle they get better and by time I know how to play the Setter, they'll be 100% and ready to learn skills.

I use camonet and binoculars on pretty much anything. I use it on my Cromwell with a gun rammer and on my Setter with nothing else yet.

It's hard to know the best scouting locations as either they'll get blindfired by a tryhard base camper or I'll get rushed by a wheely boi who can scout better than I can.

I don't want to master them. I just want to be consistently top 10. I'm usually bottom 5 with 0 damage and 40 assisted damage cause no one shoots the guys I scout.

I'm pretty good at the game. I just don't know exactly how to play this crap tank. I'm currently playing 5 British Tier 7s and I need to play tier 8 ASAP or I won't be able to get the American Scorpion premium for free.

As for those tips, I already knew about all of them. It still doesn't stop their french scouts to rush me or a camping TD to outspot me since the camo rating and especially view range is so bloody awful in this tank.

Maybe I should play support for first 5 mins and then scout rest when light tanks are dead?

I honestly don't know.

_cro_magnon #8 Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:04 PM

Major

• Player
  • 33286 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

This is pretty useful guide I've found for British LTs in general.

Spoiler

DangerMouse #9 Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 29623 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

Tier 7, vents cammo-net and Binos, dont push past your team, you will out spot the WV still, remember you need to be stationary for the cammo-net and binos to work.

Tier 8 and above I went V-Stab, Vents and Optics, you need to be quite passive but the small size does make them able to use some of the tiny bushes, most light tanks come in to their own mid to late game once the pack has thinned so don't be over aggressive too early, late game you can snipe quite well as for a light tank you have good pen.

DM

I will caveat this in I did use food and started with a full girl crew so BIA and SS from the start.

Edited by DangerMouse, 03 December 2019 - 03:10 PM.

Venom7000 #10 Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:36 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7469 battles
  1. Camo is one of the best of the class. Plus British LT lose the least camo while on move than any other tank in game (so I dont see how your argument of "awful camo" comes in to play).
  2. Skills are VERY IMPORTANT on LT. Especially at high tiers. You need 6th sense ASAP. Rest of the crew camo.
  3. Add vents (they help the fact that you are not 100% crew) and boost everything (including the camo)
  4. Add external camo for 2% more camo
  5. Binos and camo are only active if you sit for few seconds. The moment you move they get deactivated. So stand still
  6. like another user said. Brith LT are small. They can fit in bushes others cant. Use that
  7. If you are getting outspoted by TD than you are doing it wrong. You need to know all the usual places a TD are hanging out on every map. And unless they are slow TDs there is no chance for you to get in to positon before they do and spot you moving on open field.
  8. Knowing that there are wheeled cars in the match. Tells you NOT TO go to your usual spot place or stray too far from TDS because they will proxy spot you on the move. Be more reserved in scouting when wheeled cars are in the match
  9. Playing tier 8 at your stage is not advisable. I understand the need to do the mission. I am not sure how far are you to unlocking tier 8. But what ever the missions are trust me when I say that playing without 100% crew and with absolutely no skills on your crewmembers is nightmare. You rly have to know what you are doing. I dont have 6th sense on my tier 6 light and its very hard sometimes. 
  10. YES, pls read what I wrote before. Play passive and stay low for the 1st half of the match. And at the end when most tanks are half dead. Go clean up them :)

Edited by Venom7000, 03 December 2019 - 05:12 PM.

voodoospirit #11 Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:41 PM

Major

• Player
  • 29518 battles
light tanks whatever the nation dont lose camo on the move, none.

Supercon22 #12 Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1879 battles

I think I've been doing quite well in it and once I unlock the top gun, it should be even better.

I think the only thing I've been doing wrong was being overly aggressive and doing meme stuff like landing on top of tanks doing only 33 damage.

The reason I was aggressive is because of all these idiots going "go spot setter retard" in chat. I play carefully and they report me lol.

Venom7000 #13 Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7469 battles

View PostSupercon22, on 03 December 2019 - 08:51 PM, said:

I think I've been doing quite well in it and once I unlock the top gun, it should be even better.

I think the only thing I've been doing wrong was being overly aggressive and doing meme stuff like landing on top of tanks doing only 33 damage.

The reason I was aggressive is because of all these idiots going "go spot setter retard" in chat. I play carefully and they report me lol.

Good for you man. It looks like you didnt need our help at all. Go out there and 3 mark it.
Happy hunting mate.

Unicorn_of_Steel #14 Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:01 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15489 battles
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A

Oke, i will pretent to be the 'responsible parent' on this thread..:teethhappy:

You have hardly any experience with playing light tanks at all. Yet you choose to play the hardest light line to master. On top of that it appears that you don't have the crew skills needed for that.

How about you chosing a lower tier light to gain some decent experience first? You can unlock quite some good lights in just one evening, like Chaffee or VK Leopard. Chaffee leads to a very decent line too and the Leopard, that always a blast to play. You will even love those when having moved up to the higher tiers: even unicums consider those to be keepers. Or bite the bullet called AMX 40 and go up the French light line, also considered to be very good.

Try to avoid playing over your own and your crew skill levels mate, that ain't fun.

Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, 04 December 2019 - 08:18 AM.

Supercon22 #15 Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:10 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1879 battles

Nah I've been having fun with bad crews. It means I just need to play smarter than the enemy. And I need to get a tier 8 or I won't get the American Scorpion that you can get this month.

I'm not entirely sure what Tier 8 to get first though. I think either the Centurion or the Caernarvon would be good yet I'm just as close to unlocking the AT 15 and the FV207 or whatever it's called.

Also I'm going to make a seperate post about this but I'm not sure what to do with my female crew members. I currently have 3 unlocked and only really care about the voice lines. I was planning on having 5 British commanders, one for each tank type but I'm not sure what tier to put them in. I think honestly I might just keep them in my barracks until I know for sure what I want to do with them.

Venom7000 #16 Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7469 battles

View PostUnicorn_of_Steel, on 04 December 2019 - 08:01 AM, said:

Oke, i will pretent to be the 'responsible parent' on this thread..:teethhappy:

You have hardly any experience with playing light tanks at all. Yet you choose to play the hardest light line to master. On top of that it appears that you don't have the crew skills needed for that.

How about you chosing a lower tier light to gain some decent experience first? You can unlock quite some good lights in just one evening, like Chaffee or VK Leopard. Chaffee leads to a very decent line too and the Leopard, that always a blast to play. You will even love those when having moved up to the higher tiers: even unicums consider those to be keepers. Or bite the bullet called AMX 40 and go up the French light line, also considered to be very good.

Try to avoid playing over your own and your crew skill levels mate, that ain't fun.

(Unicorn see your PM)
He is more than capable! I cant wait for him to grind to Manticore and post some replays. If you cant stand someone being a good player with out good crew and skills. Than you are the jealous one.  Maybe instead of making fun of him, you ask him some tips and questions that you have? :teethhappy:

View PostSupercon22, on 04 December 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

Nah I've been having fun with bad crews. It means I just need to play smarter than the enemy. And I need to get a tier 8 or I won't get the American Scorpion that you can get this month.

I'm not entirely sure what Tier 8 to get first though. I think either the Centurion or the Caernarvon would be good yet I'm just as close to unlocking the AT 15 and the FV207 or whatever it's called.

Also I'm going to make a seperate post about this but I'm not sure what to do with my female crew members. I currently have 3 unlocked and only really care about the voice lines. I was planning on having 5 British commanders, one for each tank type but I'm not sure what tier to put them in. I think honestly I might just keep them in my barracks until I know for sure what I want to do with them.

Sure man, skills are useless anyway. Barely even worth it. You do you. As long as you keep being the best at it. :)

Edited by Venom7000, 04 December 2019 - 06:53 PM.

Unicorn_of_Steel #17 Posted Yesterday, 07:22 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15489 battles
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A

Venom: If you cant stand someone being a good player with out good crew and skills. Than you are the jealous one.  Maybe instead of making fun of him, you ask him some tips and questions that you have?

D**n right i'm jealous. I have ten times his battles and can't get even decent lights like the WZ 131 working without a decent set of skills... And he is just going to nail the (Up)Setter without any AND likes the challenge :(

Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, Yesterday, 07:29 AM.

yaourti #18 Posted Yesterday, 09:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5964 battles
  • [DUMBA] DUMBA

Hey Supercon, any chance you could link some replays?  I'm really struggling with this despite having a decent crew and camo/equipment. Sounds like you're having a bit more success :great:.

voodoospirit #19 Posted Yesterday, 11:51 PM

Major

• Player
  • 29518 battles

i m a light player.

the british line is the worst by far for the moment, whatever the tiers....

other nations do it better with less crew skills in any department.

if u thought that a light sucks in a particular tier.....u have a british one that can fit that role now.

british are smalls (ELC even style) and can fit in smaller bushes than other nations, then u turn on binocs and u r a radar and u go afk and take a drink.u can hug some high tank with bad depression gun ( but they can ram u, push u anymore they want)

never engage other lights (may be eventually a t7/t8 regular german light), your gun is not precise, u dont have a good dpm, u can be rammed by anything, u turn like a tanker ( forget to circle anything beside a british TD ) and u need massive crew skills to compensate a bit the tank..... :sceptic: , and don t fire on the move.....u have no precision at all...

open map, u might be good in small bush for spotting if the team assist....if u survive gokarts and other lights...

cities.....well, forget any utility and consider the team is 14 players

mixed maps: not versatile enough, low agility.

those brits are more or less the ultimate hardcore light gameplay...

if u stick at them, u think they are not bad afterall .....until u get into another nation same tier  light........and think, holy crap, i can shoot, turn, dodge! and u go back and u think why my crew is stunned?!!!! well no...it sn't...welcome back to UK lights....

my brits have like 10-15% wr behind my other lights....:arta:

Edited by voodoospirit, Yesterday, 11:55 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Amilon_2018