Game design lesson 3 - mission restrictions ($)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

FizzlePopBerryTwist #1 Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30396 battles
  • [FIM] FIM

I will now use a very simple example for bad mission design, one i figure most of us can agree on... if not all (ofc).

For this example, i will take the 'Twitch Prime' mission KILO, since it is rather obvious where the problem lies with this one - which also can be applied to other missions.

Mission restriction: own a King Tiger Captured... 

Mission objective: be in the top 10 by XP (3 times)

Rewards:   https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/special-offers/twitch-package-kilo/  (a lot of juicy blueprints!! Those could save 5 if not 6 digits worth of XP)

I think most spotted the issue already. "own a KTC"

You need an amazon prime account (you then tie to twitch) or twitch prime account for those missions! No workaround is possible. Let's break it down, shall we?

Starting with the 'issue':

Not everyone has amazon prime and even less do have twitch prime = no KTC = which is not good for players.

>> I don't expect anyone to jump and get either twitch or amazon prime just for those missions/goodies (they value isn't worth it). People having those accounts will be the target audience.

So it's about the deal and especially 'traffic' for those sites. Kinda obvious it is about the traffic since you HAVE to redeem it on the site directly and HAVE to tie your Wot account to the site...

Solutions:

1b- why not strike an actual deal with amazon/twitch? [twitch is owned by amazon btw] 

Use XXXX gold to get XX days of twitch prime = every player with gold laying around can do it, without jumping ropes. 

May even 'login with world of tanks account to twitch? Works great on a bunch on other sites which ain't WG, so might as well use it, this way you don't need to create more accounts which would remove a big stepping stone while boosting your 'goal' >> you get the traffic AND as a bonus you get a tighter tie to Amazon account share, you can drain the system of some spare gold and many more players have access.

2- You still can ask for a tie and the redeem on the site [so there is your traffic]... yet after doing so, allow us to use either: any tier 7 heavy or any tier 7 premium heavy

>> again i assume this mission isn't for 'free players', given the 'big promotions' going along, but you still could open it up further for those which already pay their due... - offer some Tier H7 on discount?(**)

= promote your promotion? How about a King Tiger Rental for Credits or Gold? You do have the rental mechanic, might as well use it!

** PS. The T54 Prot and IS-2 (aka 'IS-2 Berlin') are in this pack on 30% sale... << why not allow the IS-2  drive battles then!?

You Must have this pack to get the discount. It is a Tier 7 heavy. It ties into the 'war is won' theme. It seems kinda stupid to offer all of this and yet... slam the door shut for no reason!?

Why can't people who do have the Prime and DO have/buy the tank, not use it as intended? It would make for nice IS2/KTC battles < kinda would love that.

3- create an 'easy mode' prime mission to the regular alternative.

> Using KTC: gather 15x, 30x, 45x marks

> Using Prem H7: gather 20x, 40, 60x marks

> Using NonPrem H7: gather 30x, 50, 90x marks

In order to receive the reward.

If you are afraid of people with a full garage 'spamming H7 tanks' (by going for suicide rushes) just ask them to 'tie ONE tank to the mission'. So they have to play like with the KTC, more considerate. 

- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - 

I guess you get the idea at this point.

> Allow more 'routes' to access the missions.

> Allow more vehicles to partake.

> Allow players to access the partaking vehicles differently.

My shown examples boost: the amount of people participating, traffic to the twitch site AND/OR premium sales - WHILE allowing people of ALL types to have a shot.

I think we all like goodies and we like to have the choice.

And i know WG and Amazon do like us to eat their Pie... 

All i suggest is to price the pie fairly according to a player's income.

=> Paywalls suck a....ccess.

Edited by unhappy_bunny, 03 December 2019 - 05:35 PM.
edited to point the link at the English version, this being the English forun not he German one

Nishi_Kinuyo #2 Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:24 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9307 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
Not an issue because you need amazon/twitch prime to get those twitch missions in the first place, afaik.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #3 Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:26 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34502 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 03 December 2019 - 05:24 PM, said:

Not an issue because you need amazon/twitch prime to get those twitch missions in the first place, afaik.

You do. So you'll have KTC anyway so the problem OP is having then becomes....? 

RamRaid90 #4 Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:31 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 26236 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 03 December 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

You do. So you'll have KTC anyway so the problem OP is having then becomes....? 

The problem for me comes when my King Tiger disapeared months ago and I have never been able to find it again :teethhappy:

Balc0ra #5 Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74388 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

So what's the issue? It's a reward for those that pay for Twitch Prime... As that's how you also get the tier 7 KT. If not then you could counter argue with the point... why bother to get Twitch prime at all? Then again considering the other things you have complained about in the past...

There are plenty of other missions us peasants that don't have Twitch prime can do, inc tier 7 premium tank missions now and then. Nor do I mind the current tank rewards that has one mission that only works with the FL reward tanks. Again something extra for those that suffered FL for so long to get the AE or the 1951.

Edited by Balc0ra, 03 December 2019 - 05:44 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #6 Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34502 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostRamRaid90, on 03 December 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

The problem for me comes when my King Tiger disapeared months ago and I have never been able to find it again :teethhappy:

If you go into your account link settings and unlink everything then relink it all up again you might find it fixes that. I had to do that a while ago for a similar issue. 

unhappy_bunny #7 Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

Colonel

• 20193 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

You do realise that Amazon/Twitch prime is free for the first month, so players that want to do this mission can do so if they want. Just sign up, grab the missions and cancel the Amazon/Twitch Prime account afterwards.

It's obviously an Amazon/Twitch promotion so what do people expect? That they would approach WG and say "We would like to run a promotion to draw people into taking Amazon/Twitch Prime accounts, but we will make it open to everyone, even those that don't sign up"? That would really work wouldn't it?

RamRaid90 #8 Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:34 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 26236 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 03 December 2019 - 04:50 PM, said:

If you go into your account link settings and unlink everything then relink it all up again you might find it fixes that. I had to do that a while ago for a similar issue. 

I've tried this multiple times, didn't work :(

Homer_J #9 Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:50 PM

Field Marshal

• 32930 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostRamRaid90, on 03 December 2019 - 04:31 PM, said:

It doesn't disappear.  Even if you no longer have Twitch Prime it will be in your garage as an expired rental.

A few people have had this issue though and it has magically reappeared when they checked that they didn't have rentals filtered out.

Failing that, check you are looking under American tier VII heavies.

LCpl_Jones #10 Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13381 battles

View PostRamRaid90, on 03 December 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

you can use mine, i've not touched it

RamRaid90 #11 Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:19 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 26236 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

View PostHomer_J, on 03 December 2019 - 05:50 PM, said:

It doesn't disappear.  Even if you no longer have Twitch Prime it will be in your garage as an expired rental.

A few people have had this issue though and it has magically reappeared when they checked that they didn't have rentals filtered out.

Failing that, check you are looking under American tier VII heavies.

Tried  all the tricks, won't come back. I don't miss it, just irritating lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users