Jump to content


Do you miss the "all chat"?

chat all chat poll

  • Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you miss the "all chat" & would you like it to be added back? (197 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Do you miss the "all chat" & would you like it to be added back?

  1. Yes (110 votes [55.84%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 55.84%

  2. No (87 votes [44.16%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 44.16%

Vote Hide poll

RetroCh1cken #1 Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:52 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 5673 battles
  • 239
  • [-UM] -UM
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013
So, I've been watching a couple of older replays and I've really started to miss the "all chat" and I'm quite curious how many who actually miss it, cause I don't remember too many complaints about it, I myself even managed to meet some of my platoon buddies in the enemy team.

I do remember it could be toxic but that's the internet, all chats are like that but they also had their moments when generally very fun things could be talked about in the chat. It just seems wrong to alienate half of the players in a match and make your enemy no different than a soulless bot other than skill.
If it was about players giving out positions couldn't a system to censor map-like coordinates be easily implemented, even if it was an overly censored chat?
I myself would rather have a chat that would be very strict with censoring then no chat at all.

I still remember coming back to wot after they removed the "all chat", for me at least the matches felt completely different, fewer people chatted, it was a lot quieter and it barely felt like I was playing against another human being besides it knowing how to play.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:07 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 34515 battles
  • 4,867
  • [FISHY] FISHY
  • Member since:
    06-13-2015

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 05 December 2019 - 02:52 AM, said:

I do remember it could be toxic but that's the internet, all chats are like that but they also had their moments when generally very fun things could be talked about in the chat. 

 

Which is no reason to tolerate it.  For every time there was one thing worthwhile chat the other 99 was worthless whining, crying and abuse. Nothing of value was lost when all chat was nerfed and it was 100% the fault of the players it happened. 



Spurtung #3 Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:20 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 75102 battles
  • 6,872
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 05 December 2019 - 02:07 AM, said:

Nothing of value was lost when all chat was nerfed and it was 100% the fault of the players it happened. 

 

Banter was lost, and that was pure gold sometimes.

 

Clipping someone with a Foch: you've been Foched

Getting another side shot, while unspotted, on a tank peeking again: Yes, I'm still here

Playing CGC, typing while reloading and sending with the shot midair: <insert tank/player name>: look up



RetroCh1cken #4 Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:24 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 5673 battles
  • 239
  • [-UM] -UM
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 05 December 2019 - 02:07 AM, said:

 

Which is no reason to tolerate it.  For every time there was one thing worthwhile chat the other 99 was worthless whining, crying and abuse. Nothing of value was lost when all chat was nerfed and it was 100% the fault of the players it happened. 

So why not just make it so people who are not interested in the "all chat" just have an option to disable it? I can't really see a reason to remove a feature cause some people don't want it rather than just letting those people disable it for themself instead of disabling it for everyone.

You don't get any advantage over having it on, other than being able to chat and if it had a censor system that disabled player positions, you wouldn't miss out on anything.

Also, all games have whining and toxicity in their chats, but no game removes the chat that I know of cause it's part of the community, and if you don't like it, why not just disable it? rather than forcing people who like it to also not have the ability to use it.
I still know a lot I've lost from it, I can't platoon up with people I've met and talked to on the enemy team, I can't have the joy of telling jokes to the enemy team, I can't have the extra satisfaction of killing an enemy that has been acting better than our team the whole game, I can't see the reaction of people I kill in very unexpected ways or just plain hilarious ways and so on.

I can't honestly think really of any games that don't allow you to chat with the enemy team. Especially not a game that has had the feature from the beginning but then removed it.


Edited by RetroCh1cken, 05 December 2019 - 03:29 AM.


unhappy_bunny #5 Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:39 AM

    Colonel

  • Moderator
  • 20211 battles
  • 3,743
  • [-OC-] -OC-
  • Member since:
    08-01-2012

View PostSpurtung, on 05 December 2019 - 02:20 AM, said:

 

Banter was lost, and that was pure gold sometimes.

 

Clipping someone with a Foch: you've been Foched

Getting another side shot, while unspotted, on a tank peeking again: Yes, I'm still here

Playing CGC, typing while reloading and sending with the shot midair: <insert tank/player name>: look up

 

The problem was that negatives out-weighed the positives when it came to chat.

The banter could be amusing, but then there was the racist abuse against certain nations, the wishing of nasty diseases on players and their families, the insults around incest, the revealing of team positions by those who died early, or who died and wanted the battle to end. 

And bear in mind that this game is rated for a very wide age group, 13 upwards.

Many of the offending players probably thought like the OP, that is the Internet, any thing goes on the Internet. Well, no, it doesn't. Nobody should be subjected to insults and threats just because its the Internet. 

 

So the loss of something that may have contributed to fun in the game has to laid at the door of the players who could not control their actions. As often the case in life, the few ruined it for the majority. Yes as Nuclear Slug says, it is 100% the fault of the players, albeit a small minority of them. 



RetroCh1cken #6 Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:52 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 5673 battles
  • 239
  • [-UM] -UM
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 05 December 2019 - 02:39 AM, said:

 

The problem was that negatives out-weighed the positives when it came to chat.

The banter could be amusing, but then there was the racist abuse against certain nations, the wishing of nasty diseases on players and their families, the insults around incest, the revealing of team positions by those who died early, or who died and wanted the battle to end. 

And bear in mind that this game is rated for a very wide age group, 13 upwards.

Many of the offending players probably thought like the OP, that is the Internet, any thing goes on the Internet. Well, no, it doesn't. Nobody should be subjected to insults and threats just because its the Internet. 

 

So the loss of something that may have contributed to fun in the game has to laid at the door of the players who could not control their actions. As often the case in life, the few ruined it for the majority. Yes as Nuclear Slug says, it is 100% the fault of the players, albeit a small minority of them. 

Yes but as said before, this could either be disabled for just the people who are getting abused by the enemy team or the chat could be a lot more heavily censored, again I'm all for a chat that is way too censored rather than no chat at all. This no problem that can't easily be fixed.

But, the same thing could be applied to the team chat in a less extreme way, most 90-99% of the time it's just someone in the team complaining, calling names and all that to their own team. Most often or not nothing helpful comes from the team chat, and when it does, it's often just the commands like "help" "fallback" and such which isn't even really a chat cause we don't type those things.
But the team chat is not getting removed, also I started to play this game around the age of around 9 and I was personally never bothered by people calling me names or wise versa, I actually more enjoyed being able to talk to the enemy team, where I again, managed to make friends where I later played wot with for years.
This is an online game after all, why restrict the ability to interact with half of the people playing the game? From what I've noticed the chat overall has become much quieter and stale after this change.



Spurtung #7 Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:19 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 75102 battles
  • 6,872
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 05 December 2019 - 02:39 AM, said:

The banter could be amusing, but then there was the racist abuse against certain nations, the wishing of nasty diseases on players and their families, the insults around incest, the revealing of team positions by those who died early, or who died and wanted the battle to end

 

The highlighted are the ones that are really gone. All the rest, same old, but intra-team now.

 

Just the other day:

Block Quote

--- (18:17:44) get cancer
--- (18:17:47) fuckign clicker
Spurtung (18:27:07) You don't know anyone that has actually had a cancer, do you?
Spurtung (18:27:20) Either way, reported.
--- (18:30:38) FU clicker crap
--- (18:30:41) hope u die
Spurtung (18:35:27) Yes, yes, keep talking.

 

 

 



NUKLEAR_SLUG #8 Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:38 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 34515 battles
  • 4,867
  • [FISHY] FISHY
  • Member since:
    06-13-2015

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 05 December 2019 - 03:24 AM, said:

Also, all games have whining and toxicity in their chats, but no game removes the chat that I know of cause it's part of the community, and if you don't like it, why not just disable it? rather than forcing people who like it to also not have the ability to use it.

 

This mentality that just because it happens elsewhere justifies it here is exactly why it got removed. Just because you like being whiny and toxic doesn't mean everybody else cares to listen to your [edited]. This isn't a free speech zone.

 

If you want to chat with other players, congratulate an enemy player on a good kill, commend a fellow player for carrying the game for you then the PM system is there for you to do so  if you wish.

 

PM is more meaningful anyway as it requires a modicum more effort from the sender than the REEEEE! fueled keyboard mashing you see in game from someone salty from losing.



HassenderZerhacker #9 Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:42 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 31740 battles
  • 3,413
  • [1DPG] 1DPG
  • Member since:
    09-09-2015

View PostRetroCh1cken, on 05 December 2019 - 02:52 AM, said:

So, I've been watching a couple of older replays and I've really started to miss the "all chat" and I'm quite curious how many who actually miss it, cause I don't remember too many complaints about it, I myself even managed to meet some of my platoon buddies in the enemy team.

I do remember it could be toxic but that's the internet, all chats are like that but they also had their moments when generally very fun things could be talked about in the chat. It just seems wrong to alienate half of the players in a match and make your enemy no different than a soulless bot other than skill.
If it was about players giving out positions couldn't a system to censor map-like coordinates be easily implemented, even if it was an overly censored chat?
I myself would rather have a chat that would be very strict with censoring then no chat at all.

I still remember coming back to wot after they removed the "all chat", for me at least the matches felt completely different, fewer people chatted, it was a lot quieter and it barely felt like I was playing against another human being besides it knowing how to play.

 

you are right, and the game had more flavour with all chat.

but of course the PC brigade will say otherwise.



RetroCh1cken #10 Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:11 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 5673 battles
  • 239
  • [-UM] -UM
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 05 December 2019 - 05:38 AM, said:

 

This mentality that just because it happens elsewhere justifies it here is exactly why it got removed. Just because you like being whiny and toxic doesn't mean everybody else cares to listen to your [edited]. This isn't a free speech zone.

 

If you want to chat with other players, congratulate an enemy player on a good kill, commend a fellow player for carrying the game for you then the PM system is there for you to do so  if you wish.

 

PM is more meaningful anyway as it requires a modicum more effort from the sender than the REEEEE! fueled keyboard mashing you see in game from someone salty from losing.

How exactly am I being whiny and toxic? You're the one who feels the need to start swearing and acting aggressive to get your point across. 
I'm only asking how many people here in the community miss a feature that has been removed and it seems like there are a lot who miss it like me.
I still stand by though about all other games having this feature cause it seemingly looks like it works for them and no one complains about a chat in their games. 

And again, can you answer me why there can't just be a feature which disables the all chat for the ones who don't want it, I can't see how that harms anyone, the chat isn't any major gameplay feature and you can't be hurt by words you can't see. Or why it can't just be re-introduced and just simply censor toxic words and such as a lot of other games do, in worst case over-censor it like it was a kids game such a Roblox. 
I mean the team chat is also very toxic and does more bad than good but that isn't getting removed, everyone just uses short-commands which helps a lot more then people swearing and complaining about their team and calling out tomatoes, at least you could kill those who typed in the "all chat". The only helpful chat that exists currently is the platoon chat.

PM messages is nearly not the same, first off you can't talk to the whole enemy team or just simply more than one person at a time and you can't write things in the moment either cause those things you'd write something about will be long forgotten which is what could make the "all chat" so fun.



gunslingerXXX #11 Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:32 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 13170 battles
  • 3,515
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
  • Member since:
    11-16-2014

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 05 December 2019 - 03:07 AM, said:

 

Which is no reason to tolerate it.  For every time there was one thing worthwhile chat the other 99 was worthless whining, crying and abuse. Nothing of value was lost when all chat was nerfed and it was 100% the fault of the players it happened. 


Or, we could just have the all chat and you can switch it off if you don't like it.

 



m1x_angelico #12 Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:59 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 25511 battles
  • 1,296
  • [-VETO] -VETO
  • Member since:
    01-04-2015

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 05 December 2019 - 03:07 AM, said:

 

Which is no reason to tolerate it.  For every time there was one thing worthwhile chat the other 99 was worthless whining, crying and abuse. Nothing of value was lost when all chat was nerfed and it was 100% the fault of the players it happened. 


Which basically describes this forum, yet I dont see it being removed. Also, I assume the 99% exaggeration is reflection of your mental state, as clearly it was not about whining, crying and abuse. However, even if we say that is true, why hasnt the team chat been removed as well.

 

Instead, why not give people the option to use it or not, just as it is now the option with team chat. Maybe some of you need decisions to be taken for you by adults, most of us others dont. In fact, prohibition of communication "because of few rotten apples" is one of the hallmarks of dictatorship.


Edited by m1x_angelico, 05 December 2019 - 08:00 AM.


neutrophil #13 Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:15 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 13160 battles
  • 67
  • Member since:
    06-09-2013
No, sometimes a pissed off teammate would give away positions to the enemy in all-chat. 

Spurtung #14 Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:35 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 75102 battles
  • 6,872
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View Postneutrophil, on 05 December 2019 - 07:15 AM, said:

No, sometimes a pissed off teammate would give away positions to the enemy in all-chat. 

 

Yeah, and if those got reported via ticket with replays and got banned from playing for a while, I'd guess that would end quickly. Then again, real people would have to be hired to work in the support before that happens.



MightyBalls_2 #15 Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:44 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 8006 battles
  • 172
  • [MITY] MITY
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014
I do not miss the chat because it use to be toxic, but I do miss telling the arty I am coming for them when they have been focusing me all game!

PowJay #16 Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 40532 battles
  • 5,627
  • Member since:
    09-07-2012

Quite seriously, the ONLY time I would really like to be able to chat to enemies in game is to thank them for killing me when I have a terrible team and it gets me out of the battle quickly. #notjoking.

 

With all-chat, I would also point out that I am going to report their last surviving player hiding in a corner in his top tier heavy tank.



Frostilicus #17 Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

    Colonel

  • Clan Diplomat
  • 23698 battles
  • 3,586
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-
  • Member since:
    07-12-2011
Can't say any chat in game is worthwhile :)

SovietBias #18 Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:49 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 39101 battles
  • 1,707
  • Member since:
    06-10-2013

Yeah, I miss it. It reminded you that you were playing against humans. In such a repetitive game - one that soon enough will also generate some random names for the most sensitive of us - you tend to forget it is a multiplayer game after all.

 

Perhaps the only good thing about it was putting an end to revealing positions. That is something, I guess. The toxicity just shifted chat channels.



LincolnTank #19 Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:50 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 11203 battles
  • 490
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    11-17-2015
Unfortunately people who are supposed to be adults can’t behave themselves in chat. Frankly it’s pathetic to see.

Yaccay #20 Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:00 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 35424 battles
  • 2,398
  • [4TL] 4TL
  • Member since:
    11-21-2012

90 % of the "all chat" is just malediction and swearing. 

I definitely do not miss that.







Also tagged with chat, all chat, poll

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users