server side reticle

aiming server

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Vasqes #1 Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:46 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 46369 battles
Can we get some new technology behind how we shoot and aim in this game? The current model is 10 (at least), more likely 13 years old - old school style client server shooting model. You haven't touched it during 1.0 version. So my question is when you will change that technology? Is very inconvenient, clunky and sometimes barely playable. Ghost shells, extremely slow, makes my experience just bad. And yes I know and I use that too = |server side reticle | -are you WG plan to change that in the near future? its just frustrating..

Edited by Vasqes, 09 December 2019 - 02:49 PM.

TheDrownedApe #2 Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51190 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
I've never used the server side reticle and manage just fine. However i did notice a difference when i forced to use WiFi for a brief period and my ping was higher than normal

tajj7 #3 Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29072 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Get a mod and use both, that is what I do, and feel it works best. 

NekoPuffer_PPP #4 Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:05 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35670 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Get better internet.

Use the server-side reticle for the most accurate display of your current aiming direction.

Then get used to it.

Realistically, there's no reason to NOT use the server reticle, because if you don't, you'll just miss more.

When the server's running fine there's no problem.

I've been using the server reticle from the start and I've had no issues with shots veering wildly off-course for no apparent reason (the reason would be lag).

The only current issue with the aiming system we have now is aiming over ridgelines, which is broken and near-impossible because the system aims at whatever is behind the ridge...I'd much rather use manual aim and have to correct my aim for shell drop-off at range myself. Machinegun tracer bullets would be useful in this case and would be a good reason to make them work in the game as a useful feature, not as just a mod.

Vasqes #5 Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:53 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 46369 battles

Yeah, I know all that guys. I do have 44K battles so trust me I've seen everything and as IT guy I know a few things about the internet, ping, latency name it. My post is about technology behind. By technology I mean a the CODE, not Hardware or GUI. But how the client-server protocol has been organized. That is something that WG is far behind everyone. As they use very old tech to do that. I started in beta and its literally the same so its 10+ years old. In IT its an EON. 

Thanks for all help, of course, I appreciate that but I know all of that already :) 

Richthoffen #6 Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:57 PM

Major

• Player
  • 31506 battles
  • [MS-] MS-
server side used to trail along, the last couple of years its pretty accurate, I use a mod to show both an its nowhere as bad as it used to be

Flicka #7 Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:43 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23623 battles
  • [CELL] CELL

If i recall correctly the actual aim should be somewhere between server reticle and the one we see in game...?

I use it for years now, used to it, and it makes a hell of a difference, especially for gun bloom, hell moving a gun on a grille is just eye opening.

The server bloom can get about 50% bigger, but the reticle aim might be just a millimeter off.

pecopad #8 Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:53 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30435 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

Honestly the way its implemented makes it useless,because when you connection is good you don't need it and when Lag is an issue the server reticle is also very inaccurate.

My advice is when Lag kicks just find another game to play.

Karasu_Hidesuke #9 Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:24 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 17338 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
I've tried to use the server side reticle... and that experience teached me a lot about why it is so hard to actually hit tanks as the reticle 'RNG' is added to the game RNG. The actual aiming point jumps about like a Mexican jumping bean....

NekoPuffer_PPP #10 Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:02 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35670 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostKarasu_Hidesuke, on 09 December 2019 - 06:24 PM, said:

I've tried to use the server side reticle... and that experience teached me a lot about why it is so hard to actually hit tanks as the reticle 'RNG' is added to the game RNG. The actual aiming point jumps about like a Mexican jumping bean....

That's because, when a lag-jump occurs, the tank's "dispersion during movement" is calculated at full speed, and not the speed at which you're aiming, yourself. So the server thinks you had a spazm and suddenly your aimcircle is a pineapple.

It's not the reticle's fault, it just shows the actual dispersion you'll get when you fire, but with it enabled you'll at least be aware why your shot landed in a different postcode.

View PostFlicka, on 09 December 2019 - 05:43 PM, said:

If i recall correctly the actual aim should be somewhere between server reticle and the one we see in game...?

I use it for years now, used to it, and it makes a hell of a difference, especially for gun bloom, hell moving a gun on a grille is just eye opening.

The server bloom can get about 50% bigger, but the reticle aim might be just a millimeter off.

Same as above.

View PostVasqes, on 09 December 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

Yeah, I know all that guys. I do have 44K battles so trust me I've seen everything and as IT guy I know a few things about the internet, ping, latency name it. My post is about technology behind. By technology I mean a the CODE, not Hardware or GUI. But how the client-server protocol has been organized. That is something that WG is far behind everyone. As they use very old tech to do that. I started in beta and its literally the same so its 10+ years old. In IT its an EON. 

Thanks for all help, of course, I appreciate that but I know all of that already :) 

Well unless you've been working at WG, I'm not sure how you'd know whether they've updated their tech or not.

I remember an update a moderately long time ago, where the spotting frequency was increased dramatically, so fast tanks crossing small gaps in concealment would get spotted sooner, rather than with a delay. Not sure if it is related to the aiming system in any way but I think they did in fact update some of their tech over the years.

wEight_Tanker #11 Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12027 battles
  • [D_L_Z] D_L_Z
I prefer the server reticle because of obvious reasons. Especially if my internet isn't the best or its speed oscillates all the times.

Nishi_Kinuyo #12 Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 10217 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

I've used server-side crosshair for as long as I can remember...

Never had issues with it.

Karasu_Hidesuke #13 Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 17338 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 09 December 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

That's because, when a lag-jump occurs, the tank's "dispersion during movement" is calculated at full speed, and not the speed at which you're aiming, yourself. So the server thinks you had a spazm and suddenly your aimcircle is a pineapple.

It's not the reticle's fault, it just shows the actual dispersion you'll get when you fire, but with it enabled you'll at least be aware why your shot landed in a different postcode.

Yes but being aware of it does not really help me because I start correcting my aim which means I end up actually aiming about 2-3 times longer than I would be doing otherwise. True, with the regular reticle I might be aiming at a complete miss, but with the RNG, I might at least get in a lucky shot or two.

Bordhaw #14 Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:02 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 15628 battles

View PostVasqes, on 09 December 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

So my question is when you will change that technology? 

Probably the same time they get HAVOK Technology to fix all the other bugs in the game.... never. 

BR33K1_PAWAH #15 Posted 10 December 2019 - 12:35 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 8158 battles

View PostVasqes, on 09 December 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Can we get some new technology behind how we shoot and aim in this game? The current model is 10 (at least), more likely 13 years old - old school style client server shooting model. You haven't touched it during 1.0 version. So my question is when you will change that technology? Is very inconvenient, clunky and sometimes barely playable. Ghost shells, extremely slow, makes my experience just bad. And yes I know and I use that too = |server side reticle | -are you WG plan to change that in the near future? its just frustrating..

How do you know they haven't touched netcode recently?

And i've seen some problems with hit registration, but those are quite rare. Imo, netcode is one of few brighter sides of WoT.

11:37 Added after 2 minute
And i'm playing from eastern Ukraine, can't remember right now my latency values but you can imagine they are way greater than yours. Still netcode holds on.

Also tagged with aiming, server

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users