Jump to content


General thoughts on 703(122) II


  • Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

xx984 #1 Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:20 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 65804 battles
  • 3,706
  • [HOOT] HOOT
  • Member since:
    08-11-2013

Now a lot of people have this tank, and have access to the new mechanic, what’s people’s thoughts on it?

 

i think it’s pretty well balanced tbh, nothing amazingly good but novel and unique, which is rare for it to be balanced if you take into consideration the fact that it’s Russian :D



CursorBug #2 Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:37 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 47394 battles
  • 5
  • [_EON_] _EON_
  • Member since:
    10-04-2013

View Postxx984, on 13 December 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

Now a lot of people have this tank, and have access to the new mechanic, what’s people’s thoughts on it?

 

i think it’s pretty well balanced tbh, nothing amazingly good but novel and unique, which is rare for it to be balanced if you take into consideration the fact that it’s Russian :D

Pretty much this. I feel like its currently a bit more powerful as people don't understand it's mechanics well yet.


Edited by CursorBug, 13 December 2019 - 12:37 PM.


MeNoobTank #3 Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:44 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 17575 battles
  • 1,038
  • [GT_WC] GT_WC
  • Member since:
    02-16-2017

I think it is like a Defender but now with double barrel. So imo it is more powerfull than Defender.

 

The lower plate is pretty powerfull, very hard to pen for Tier 7 tanks and most of the tier 8's that have lower than 200 mm pen. The turret is also stronger than on Defender, the cupolas are smaller.


Edited by MeNoobTank, 13 December 2019 - 12:46 PM.


TungstenHitman #4 Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:20 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 31752 battles
  • 6,291
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

At a glance, statistically it would suggest that in unfavorable MM featuring a lot of big armored high tiers, the 703 will struggle with it's weak 270 premium pen, while on the flip side of that, in favorable MM battles against lots of tanks it CAN pen it could be pretty devastating once a player becomes accustomed to efficiently implementing the DB mechanism with effectively 800 alpha shotgun capacity on tap or 1100+ alpha HE shotgun capacity.... like 1 shotting a Skorp G for example so... I'd imagine it will have very mixed fortunes but having that big alpha combo is always going to be a luxury especially on a platform with armor.

 

We have a 750 alpha at tier8 in the shape of the Borsig but that's got no armor, is horribly slow and hasn't got much hp whereas this is a heavy tank with armor and hp and can get right up in another tanks face so that's a whole different story and makes this thing potentially very lethal and pain in the backside for anyone that dares lets their hp drop to less than 800 so, let's see how it goes. 



Humansland #5 Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:25 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 14855 battles
  • 159
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
  • Member since:
    06-30-2016
its op

Pandabird #6 Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:27 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 38598 battles
  • 4,670
  • [KOFF] KOFF
  • Member since:
    05-19-2013

it's more team dependant than a regular soviet heavy. That gun whilst potentially powerful is difficult to utilize vs multiple targets. Double boom is out of the question since they get half a minute to pummel you back.

It's too early to tell, being my first autoreloader type tank with only two shells to boot. for finishing off weak but armored targets i rather fire in succession if first bounces, fall back and start over rather than risk the boom

Or maybe i'm just too cowardly to have an empty gun and always wait for the second shell to load


Edited by Pandabird, 13 December 2019 - 01:28 PM.


Richthoffen #7 Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:27 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 31099 battles
  • 2,713
  • [MS-] MS-
  • Member since:
    12-23-2011
give wg a few weeks to collect the data, surely they will buff it

Schepel #8 Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:34 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 66757 battles
  • 3,892
  • Member since:
    05-13-2013
I think it is seriously UP. The delay for the first shot is fired is annoying and causes you to stay out in the open longer than other tanks. It is ludicrous to compare it to a defender, imho.

TungstenHitman #9 Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:35 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 31752 battles
  • 6,291
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

View PostRichthoffen, on 13 December 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

give wg a few weeks to collect the data, surely they will buff it

 

What's to buff? Its a mobile heavy tank with decent armor, heavy levels of HP, 800 alpha, good pen, single shot flexibility and amazing soft stats that makes aim time completely irrelevant since its always going to have excellent accuracy by default... ? Is there actually any other way of making it better?



NekoPuffer_PPP #10 Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:40 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 35436 battles
  • 4,348
  • [VRTC] VRTC
  • Member since:
    09-13-2013

It is very situational. Boasts great firepower but the reload kills it.

 

Ammoracked? Grab your ankles...



Schepel #11 Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:42 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 66757 battles
  • 3,892
  • Member since:
    05-13-2013

View PostTungstenHitman, on 13 December 2019 - 01:35 PM, said:

 

What's to buff? Its a mobile heavy tank with decent armor, heavy levels of HP, 800 alpha, good pen, single shot flexibility and amazing soft stats that makes aim time completely irrelevant since its always going to have excellent accuracy by default... ? Is there actually any other way of making it better?

 

The delay between the mouse click and the first shot is what makes this tank a heap of garbage in my opinion. Not sure what is so great about the soft stats: the aim is all over the place with a 7 skill crew & food.

 

Two barrels does look cool though, although I have yet to find use for it. In pretty much every tactical situation thus far a single shot tank would have been (much!) better. The IS-3A, not a favourite of mine either, seems strictly better with 3 shots on the go and a quicker reload for the first one after that. 


Edited by Schepel, 13 December 2019 - 01:43 PM.


BR33K1_PAWAH #12 Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:44 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 8158 battles
  • 2,077
  • Member since:
    04-11-2018
Reverse-sidescraping is stronk with this one. Got owned in by two of those in my Caern, they just sat behind a corner pretty much invulnerable to me.

CursorBug #13 Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:54 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 47394 battles
  • 5
  • [_EON_] _EON_
  • Member since:
    10-04-2013

View PostTungstenHitman, on 13 December 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

At a glance, statistically it would suggest that in unfavorable MM featuring a lot of big armored high tiers, the 703 will struggle with it's weak 270 premium pen, while on the flip side of that, in favorable MM battles against lots of tanks it CAN pen it could be pretty devastating once a player becomes accustomed to efficiently implementing the DB mechanism with effectively 800 alpha shotgun capacity on tap or 1100+ alpha HE shotgun capacity.... like 1 shotting a Skorp G for example so... I'd imagine it will have very mixed fortunes but having that big alpha combo is always going to be a luxury especially on a platform with armor.

 

We have a 750 alpha at tier8 in the shape of the Borsig but that's got no armor, is horribly slow and hasn't got much hp whereas this is a heavy tank with armor and hp and can get right up in another tanks face so that's a whole different story and makes this thing potentially very lethal and pain in the backside for anyone that dares lets their hp drop to less than 800 so, let's see how it goes. 

Since when 270 gold pen is weak? 



SovietBias #14 Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:00 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 39776 battles
  • 1,760
  • Member since:
    06-10-2013

 

View PostSchepel, on 13 December 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

 

The delay between the mouse click and the first shot is what makes this tank a heap of garbage in my opinion. Not sure what is so great about the soft stats: the aim is all over the place with a 7 skill crew & food

 

I was worried about this. I haven't tried yet, but I was hoping WG would figure out how to avoid this, when you just want to fire one she. I remember reading here that they changed the mechanics, but apparently this delay remains.

 

I'll have to try it, but I find it very annoying to have lag between pressing the fire button and the gun actually firing.

 

 

 



Pandabird #15 Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:12 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 38598 battles
  • 4,670
  • [KOFF] KOFF
  • Member since:
    05-19-2013
If it gets a buff i propose a third gun:trollface:

Bulldog_Drummond #16 Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:19 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 34180 battles
  • 11,232
  • [DRATT] DRATT
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

Interesting that it can't mount a rammer

There's a reason why in real life tanks didn't have double barrels

I was a bit underwhelmed by it on my first outing



Only_Slightly_Bent #17 Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:26 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Beta Tester
  • 28152 battles
  • 915
  • [O_S_B] O_S_B
  • Member since:
    11-04-2010

View PostHumansland, on 13 December 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

its op

Lol, no it's not.



Schepel #18 Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:33 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 66757 battles
  • 3,892
  • Member since:
    05-13-2013

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 13 December 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

Interesting that it can't mount a rammer

There's a reason why in real life tanks didn't have double barrels

I was a bit underwhelmed by it on my first outing

 

I vividly remember a picture of tanks that look a lot like the ST-II in a Soviet parade. I just can't find it anywhere. However, there is also a German example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VT_tank Simple fact is that they were (are?) seriously considered. It isn't nearly as outlandish as it made out to be.



TungstenHitman #19 Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:34 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 31752 battles
  • 6,291
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

View PostSchepel, on 13 December 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

 

Not sure what is so great about the soft stats: the aim is all over the place with a 7 skill crew & food.

 

 

Well on paper it has soft stats of about... TWICE as good as the likes of 50TP, Liberte, Lowe, Patriot etc, many of which are tanks that have smaller calibers and less alpha, talk about taking the P lol, obviously a big caliber gun with two barrels crammed into a turret is going to be twice as good at hitting stuff on the move... right WG? :facepalm:

 

And I'm not just talking one particular area of soft stats, I'm talking ALL soft stats, traversing hull, swinging your turret around, everything, this DB tank is twice as good as them in every area of soft stats.

 

View PostCursorBug, on 13 December 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

Since when 270 gold pen is weak? 

 

Since +2 MM lol! :D No tbh relatively speaking as in "tier8 heavies" its very good pen, not the best with the likes of the Lowe touching 300 pen but still pretty good. It's just that it's going to see higher tier over armored lumps and reward tanks that won't be bother by 275 pen, a problem that can dog the likes of the obj 430 whereas a T-54 can just 330 heat its way past the problem. Should this double barreled tier8 get 320 heat? no of course not I'm just saying that in unfavorable MM situations where it's bottom tier and on a corridor map like Abbey etc, that level of pen won't get the job done and so this tanks battle return averages could be a very mixed bag. For many tier8 medium tanks this situation is even worse, far worse.

 

As for the slower reload comments, it actually has about the same 2k dpm as most of them, when played to its optimal best dpm potential as a single shot tank which imo is wrong. Sure, you will sensibly suffer a slower reload for exploiting the double barrel potential, but you shouldn't get the same level of dpm for playing this tank as a single shooter, that's having your cake and eating it, same with the tier8 Progetto and Pantera, you should just straight up suffer an inferior dpm regardless of how you play it, otherwise its not fair or balanced since both this and a single shooter will trade 1 for 1 equally, then, once the hp falls to within the mag potential, the DB gun or A-R gun will just empty the alpha and it wins every time so thats total bs on that balance. 

 

https://tanks.gg/compare/703-ii-122?t=50tp-pr%7Eamx-m4-49-l%7Elowe%7Et26e5-p

 

 


Edited by TungstenHitman, 13 December 2019 - 02:52 PM.


Pandabird #20 Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:37 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 38598 battles
  • 4,670
  • [KOFF] KOFF
  • Member since:
    05-19-2013

A few more battles in and the double shot is an underwhelming experience.

*but*. Side armor and turret is great, reload with empty gun something something 12 seconds, just like a normal T8 heavy almost. So as a 2 shot autoreloader it's quite decent tho the wait between shots is a bit long, 5 seconds or so.

the lock in and lock out is just too long to be comfortable, also slightly annoyed by the fact that i now have to learn to tap my mouse key, I usually hold in left click for a bit when i fire and it triggers the charging mechanism.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users