Wheeled vehicles and game lag

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

jaz000 #1 Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:09 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26617 battles

How do you control wheeled/fast vehicles ? - Presumably I have some kind of game lag others don't

When driving at speed if I want to make a small course correction left/right I find it impossible because a short tap of a key results in slightly random movement. Sometime a short press of left = a small left turn, sometime a bit more, sometimes a lot more. it's the same with any short key press e.g. forward/back to "peek" round a corner if difficult, sometime the tank lunges forward excessively.

Just driving over a bridge at speed is really difficult. I am no stranger to racing games, so you'll have to take my word that the lag isn't in my brain, or at least that the brain lag is constant ... 

But is this the case for everyone playing the game? Or do you get instant and reliable response from your key presses?

TomatoShooter #2 Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1136 battles
Did you press X before starting to drive?

Homer_J #3 Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:23 PM

Field Marshal

• 33157 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I tried driving the EBR75 from my old laptop with 15fps over 3G and it was quite difficult but not entirely impossible.

LethalWalou #4 Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:31 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33474 battles
  • [RSOP] RSOP

View Postjaz000, on 17 December 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

How do you control wheeled/fast vehicles ?

With great difficulty... At least I personally.

Bordhaw #5 Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:00 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 15581 battles

View Postjaz000, on 17 December 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

How do you control wheeled/fast vehicles ? - Presumably I have some kind of game lag others don't

When driving at speed if I want to make a small course correction left/right I find it impossible because a short tap of a key results in slightly random movement. Sometime a short press of left = a small left turn, sometime a bit more, sometimes a lot more. it's the same with any short key press e.g. forward/back to "peek" round a corner if difficult, sometime the tank lunges forward excessively.

Just driving over a bridge at speed is really difficult. I am no stranger to racing games, so you'll have to take my word that the lag isn't in my brain, or at least that the brain lag is constant ... 

But is this the case for everyone playing the game? Or do you get instant and reliable response from your key presses?

Warzey #6 Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 60912 battles
  • [GO0FY] GO0FY
It depends on your driving mode, the terrain and if you were holding W key while trying to turn. 

kaneloon #7 Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:20 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31568 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0
Play arty. Less stress.

LethalWalou #8 Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:40 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33474 battles
  • [RSOP] RSOP

View PostWarzey, on 17 December 2019 - 06:19 PM, said:

It depends on your driving mode, the terrain and if you were holding W key while trying to turn. 

I think the point was more the ''delay'' on keyboard keys instead of about terrain and such. It's been problem with driving games since the dawn of them if you play with a keyboard and not a controller or wheel. You press and hold the button 0.001s too long and you will lose control and then try to counter it with other direction and so on and lose control even more. It kinda feels like holding the button more just keeps on accelerating the effect it has on the turning. I have that problem in tight spaces and I don't really get it how others do it then. Watching Daki for example and it looks so smooth when he does it. Possibly it's due to the fact that I play with wireless and cheap KB or it's just down to anticipation of the actions.

Edited by LethalWalou, 17 December 2019 - 07:41 PM.

Balc0ra #9 Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74936 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Let go of the W key when turning. Some of them turn sharper when you do so you can control it better.

Warzey #10 Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 60912 battles
  • [GO0FY] GO0FY

View PostLethalWalou, on 17 December 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

I think the point was more the ''delay'' on keyboard keys instead of about terrain and such. It's been problem with driving games since the dawn of them if you play with a keyboard and not a controller or wheel. You press and hold the button 0.001s too long and you will lose control and then try to counter it with other direction and so on and lose control even more. It kinda feels like holding the button more just keeps on accelerating the effect it has on the turning. I have that problem in tight spaces and I don't really get it how others do it then. Watching Daki for example and it looks so smooth when he does it. Possibly it's due to the fact that I play with wireless and cheap KB or it's just down to anticipation of the actions.

Ah, I know what you mean. With WVs, I feel like I have a lot more control over steering when I hold W key while turning, this is especially true in "speed" mode. On the other hand if I'm not holding W while turning the WV will turn all over the place until I accelerate, which comes really handy when I need to 180 and gtfo.

I'm sure that moving around will get a lot easier with experience. Daki has played a bunch of battles in WVs which is why it seems so smooth, he already completed the "failing miserably" part.

LethalWalou #11 Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33474 battles
  • [RSOP] RSOP

View PostWarzey, on 17 December 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

Ah, I know what you mean. With WVs, I feel like I have a lot more control over steering when I hold W key while turning, this is especially true in "speed" mode. On the other hand if I'm not holding W while turning the WV will turn all over the place until I accelerate, which comes really handy when I need to 180 and gtfo.

I'm sure that moving around will get a lot easier with experience. Daki has played a bunch of battles in WVs which is why it seems so smooth, he already completed the "failing miserably" part.

I guess my problems are just related to tight spaces then. In open spaces I feel comfortable with the WVs but its the slight alterations to directions that seem to lose the control for me. Do you find it hard to maneuver in tight spaces with them and what kind of KB you use?

Block Quote

I'm sure that moving around will get a lot easier with experience

Sad thing I guess is that I have in total 628 battles with them in randoms and several hours spent in FL so I should be experienced enough to drive them :D

Warzey #12 Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 60912 battles
  • [GO0FY] GO0FY

View PostLethalWalou, on 17 December 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

I guess my problems are just related to tight spaces then. In open spaces I feel comfortable with the WVs but its the slight alterations to directions that seem to lose the control for me. Do you find it hard to maneuver in tight spaces with them and what kind of KB you use?

I'm using wired mechanical keyboard. When it comes to tight spaces, if I need to drive relatively straight I'll use speed mode and hold down accelerate whenever I need to make small adjustments. If the path is not straight then it's maneuverability mode and again hold down accelerate while turning also I'm being very careful not to lose too much speed because thing really get weird at low speed in maneuverability mode.  

Block Quote

Sad thing I guess is that I have in total 628 battles with them in randoms and several hours spent in FL so I should be experienced enough to drive them :D

True, but I'm sure that Daki has played more than 1000 battles on EBR 105 alone. 

jaz000 #13 Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26617 battles

Yes my question was more about input reliability and not personal skill. Yes driving games are much harder with buttons vs analogue control.

But the real question was about input responsiveness regardless of vehicle, it just shows up more on faster vehicles, and when turning.

If you press a key for specific (short) length of time does the vehicle in the game always react the same? I don't think mine does and I'm trying to work out if I have some kind of packet latency or if it's the same for everyone. 

It's always been the case that with a fast vehicle I can zig-zag left and right quickly in such a way that the vehicle is only turning left when I am pressing the right-key and only turning right when I am pressing the left-key which feels wrong. But more recently it's felt more unreliable rather than a fixed delay on input->feedback.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users