Jump to content


What if you reach your skill level?


  • Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Unicorn_of_Steel #1 Posted 17 December 2019 - 05:56 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16754 battles
  • 476
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A
  • Member since:
    12-29-2017

I have played over 15 k battles and currently am grinding towards some tier 8 and 9 tanks. Unfortunately i cannot deny that my already poor performance drops with every higher tier i unlock. I think it is only fair to say that i have reached my skill level at tier 7 max, at least ATM. I am still learning and improving but very, very slowly and i am clearly struggling up there.

 

Nice example is the Udes 14-5 i recently bought. Absolutely love that tank but i am doing way better in my tier 7 Panther…...

 

In my defence i might add that i hardly ever get negative feedback from my teammembers, no matter the class i play. I dare to translate that in "there might be worse players out there".... And i do have a couple of tanks that i love and have a > 50% winrate in, like my tier 7 WZ 131. Btw, i have overall very decent crews with > 2 skills and mostly with BIA as well so that's not the problem (that is located between keyboard and chair).

 

So now what? Should i just proceed and buy the next tier 8 or 9 and try to gid gut (at the risk of being a nuisance to my team)? Or should i drop back and play the tier 4 to 7 tanks that i really love?

 

I am really stuck for a couple of weeks already. Love the game so don't want to quit. Any advice is welcome guys.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, 17 December 2019 - 05:59 PM.


Frostilicus #2 Posted 17 December 2019 - 05:59 PM

    Colonel

  • Clan Diplomat
  • 23718 battles
  • 3,632
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-
  • Member since:
    07-12-2011
I would have a look on youtube at some videos by Lemmingrush. Kind of stumbled across his channel a few weeks back and he seems to explain what plays are valid and why a bit more than some of the other streamers - maybe you can pick up a few hints and tips from him

azakow #3 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:10 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 84567 battles
  • 5,177
  • Member since:
    05-23-2011

View PostUnicorn_of_Steel, on 17 December 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

So now what? Should i just proceed and buy the next tier 8 or 9 and try to gid gut (at the risk of being a nuisance to my team)? Or should i drop back and play the tier 4 to 7 tanks that i really love

This!

Not girnding is good for you.

Use brains, train awareness, show patience, use different vehicle classes to learn about your opponents, show patience, learn the course of a match (three stages), show patience, ...

 

Edit: learn game mechanics, stay away from LTing since you are a nuisance to your team already.

:hiding:


Edited by azakow, 17 December 2019 - 06:16 PM.


Unicorn_of_Steel #4 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:11 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16754 battles
  • 476
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A
  • Member since:
    12-29-2017

View PostFrostilicus, on 17 December 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

I would have a look on youtube at some videos by Lemmingrush. Kind of stumbled across his channel a few weeks back and he seems to explain what plays are valid and why a bit more than some of the other streamers - maybe you can pick up a few hints and tips from him

 

Watch him almost every day tbh. Really informative. Thanks for the tip.

 

17:14 Added after 2 minute

View Postazakow, on 17 December 2019 - 06:10 PM, said:

This!

Not girnding is good for you.

Use brains, train awareness, show patience, use different vehicle classes to learn about your opponents, show patience, learn the course of a match (three stages), show patience ...

 

Luckily there are more than enough tier 4 - 7 tanks that i really love to play :)



PowJay #5 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 41285 battles
  • 5,815
  • Member since:
    09-07-2012

I am in a similar position to you, albeit with a better overall WR. I simply cannot translate my abilities in lower tiers into anything like the same standard at higher tiers. My luck has pretty much well and truly run out at tier VIII. Even at tier VII, I only recently realised that pretty much only my TDs have higher average damage than their own HP- even in tanks with pretty good win rates.


I ONLY use the higher tier tanks for mission requirements. This last couple of weeks, it has been the tier X tanks for Tank Rewards. 20 battles in the IS-7 and won 6. 10 battles in the Grille 15 and won two, iirc.

 

All I had to do was play a battle. Win or lose. Top ten or bottom of the heap did not matter, but I TRIED. The Grille 15 is awful, and I sold it. The IS-7 has such an unbelievable troll gun which misses and bounces all of the time, even with APCR. Never mind. All I had to do was PLAY. So I did.


At tier IX, I actually have a couple of tanks and TDs that are fairly respectable when it comes to damage dealing and spotting missions. I have enough vehicles to pull this off for different nations and vehicle types- within my limits. I don't need any more, and I have decided that I don't WANT any more.

 

I have stopped the three newest lines at tier VII. I would rather enjoy the Italian, Czech and Polish tanks as much as I am rather than move onto tier VIIIs that I do not enjoy.


Only you can decide your reasons for trying different vehicles and what winning or losing means to you. Me? I prefer to win in a tier III vehicle than lose in a tier VIII. I can carry at the lower tiers. I often suck considerably at the higher ones.



Caldrig #6 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:19 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 514 battles
  • 9
  • Member since:
    01-01-2019
I'm a mediocre player and really can't compete in tier X games. I mostly stick to tier 4-7, but I have to say that for credit grinding the tier 8 premium tanks are your best option, even if sometimes you get into a tier X matchup and don't do very well.

GodTank2 #7 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:22 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 8964 battles
  • 299
  • [RF_] RF_
  • Member since:
    12-14-2012

You can watch some youtube videos or twitch streams and you will quickly improve by seeing how other play.

Here is a very good streamer : https://www.twitch.tv/skill4ltu



strv_varjager #8 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:31 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 6892 battles
  • 174
  • Member since:
    08-14-2019
You have some good tier 8 premiums why dont you play with them? I would play Löwe and Centurion 5/1, both have good pen, good turret armor and good gun depression which is usefull in pretty much all maps.

TheJungleBeast #9 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:32 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 11688 battles
  • 30
  • Member since:
    12-10-2017

View PostFrostilicus, on 17 December 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

I would have a look on youtube at some videos by Lemmingrush. Kind of stumbled across his channel a few weeks back and he seems to explain what plays are valid and why a bit more than some of the other streamers - maybe you can pick up a few hints and tips from him

 

 

This is great advice, I have found watching Skill4ltu and LemmingRush videos have helped me so much, just knowing the places they drive to and use and when they use them is a massive help, they also know when is a good time to run away or a good time to push, also gives you an idea of the mindset needed to be  a unicum I believe ( not that I ever will  be ! ).

I have learnt so many great map positions from these guys, especially  ones you use when you are being pushed back, good offensive spots are kind of easy to find as you see your team mates racing towards them, but knowing when to pull back and to where is very useful.

 

I have only semi recently  got my 1st tier 8 and 9 and my win rate has dropped over all but only slightly, I figure that it's because the players are, or at least should be generally better and more experienced so it's harder for you to have a big impact on the game.

 


Edited by TheJungleBeast, 17 December 2019 - 06:37 PM.


LethalWalou #10 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:34 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33371 battles
  • 1,646
  • [RSOP] RSOP
  • Member since:
    09-17-2012

View PostGodTank2, on 17 December 2019 - 05:22 PM, said:

You can watch some youtube videos or twitch streams and you will quickly improve by seeing how other play.

Here is a very good streamer : https://www.twitch.tv/skill4ltu

 

As a sidenote, in order to learn better I recommend to watch streamers who explain things as they do them. afaik Skill indeed explains things. I've seen Yzne getting better at that too and watched iyouxin yesterday too and he also attempts to explain things as he does them. QB fits that group as well as that kind of a streamer. While Circon, Foch, Daki and some others are excellent players and to some people entertaining streamers, they aren't the best place to learn things unless you do your own research in their actions. In order to learn, imo it's better that the streamers themselves explain things.



BR33K1_PAWAH #11 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:36 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 8158 battles
  • 2,077
  • Member since:
    04-11-2018

I would say git gud by playing lower tiers.

When you will be able to constantly get 2.5k+ wn8 on tanks like KV-1, 12t, T67 and other low tier imba tonks then you should also feel yourself comfortable playing most high tiers.



Unicorn_of_Steel #12 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:38 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16754 battles
  • 476
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A
  • Member since:
    12-29-2017

Here are some nice statistics of today that i guess say it all:

 

StuG III B: 6 battles, average damage 561

Panther: 2 battles, average damage 981

Udes 14-5: 6 battles, average damage 329

 

:hiding:

17:41 Added after 2 minute

View PostBR33K1_PAWAH, on 17 December 2019 - 06:36 PM, said:

I would say git gud by playing lower tiers.

When you will be able to constantly get 2.5k+ wn8 on tanks like KV-1, 12t, T67 and other low tier imba tonks then you should also feel yourself comfortable playing most high tiers.


Afraid to ask but.....what is "imba"? I'm 53 you know….



LethalWalou #13 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:42 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33371 battles
  • 1,646
  • [RSOP] RSOP
  • Member since:
    09-17-2012

View PostBR33K1_PAWAH, on 17 December 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

I would say git gud by playing lower tiers.

When you will be able to constantly get 2.5k+ wn8 on tanks like KV-1, 12t, T67 and other low tier imba tonks then you should also feel yourself comfortable playing most high tiers.

 

Lower tiers assist mostly in learning the maps in a safer environment. You don't learn much about higher tier tanks and capabilities and map dynamics (if thats the right word) in lower tiers. Those you learn either by studying tank statistics or watching streams, but mostly by just being there in those games and making the mistakes. Imo the hard part is to actively keep on learning from your mistakes.

 

PS, and I do agree the recommendation for OP to go for slightly lower tiers if he/she feels like not knowing the maps that well. I'd suggest choosing something more mobile and practicing on relocating. Problem with slow tanks is that you will be set for that one decision you make at the start of the battle. The skill of relocating, when to and when not to, is a precious skill to have and it needs practicing as well, but it isn't really possible in slower tanks.


Edited by LethalWalou, 17 December 2019 - 06:53 PM.


Unicorn_of_Steel #14 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:42 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16754 battles
  • 476
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A
  • Member since:
    12-29-2017

View PostPowJay, on 17 December 2019 - 06:16 PM, said:

I am in a similar position to you, albeit with a better overall WR. I simply cannot translate my abilities in lower tiers into anything like the same standard at higher tiers. My luck has pretty much well and truly run out at tier VIII. Even at tier VII, I only recently realised that pretty much only my TDs have higher average damage than their own HP- even in tanks with pretty good win rates.


I ONLY use the higher tier tanks for mission requirements. This last couple of weeks, it has been the tier X tanks for Tank Rewards. 20 battles in the IS-7 and won 6. 10 battles in the Grille 15 and won two, iirc.

 

All I had to do was play a battle. Win or lose. Top ten or bottom of the heap did not matter, but I TRIED. The Grille 15 is awful, and I sold it. The IS-7 has such an unbelievable troll gun which misses and bounces all of the time, even with APCR. Never mind. All I had to do was PLAY. So I did.


At tier IX, I actually have a couple of tanks and TDs that are fairly respectable when it comes to damage dealing and spotting missions. I have enough vehicles to pull this off for different nations and vehicle types- within my limits. I don't need any more, and I have decided that I don't WANT any more.

 

I have stopped the three newest lines at tier VII. I would rather enjoy the Italian, Czech and Polish tanks as much as I am rather than move onto tier VIIIs that I do not enjoy.


Only you can decide your reasons for trying different vehicles and what winning or losing means to you. Me? I prefer to win in a tier III vehicle than lose in a tier VIII. I can carry at the lower tiers. I often suck considerably at the higher ones.

 

I prefer a good battle in my StuG III B over a bad battle in that Udes….

 

And i hate losing credits alll the time for "the privilige" to play tier 8. Except my Kan. Jpz. 105, that is a real moneymaker....


Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, 17 December 2019 - 06:50 PM.


pecopad #15 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:52 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 30208 battles
  • 2,305
  • [UGN] UGN
  • Member since:
    09-04-2015
After some time, you don't increase your skill by playing low tier tanks, the meta is completely different.

BR33K1_PAWAH #16 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:54 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 8158 battles
  • 2,077
  • Member since:
    04-11-2018

View PostLethalWalou, on 17 December 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

 

Lower tiers assist mostly in learning the maps in a safer environment. You don't learn much about higher tier tanks and capabilities and map dynamics (if thats the right word) in lower tiers. Those you learn either by studying tank statistics or watching streams, but mostly by just being there in those games and making the mistakes. Imo the hard part is to actively keep on learning from your mistakes.

 

What you said is 100% accurate, but if player makes a lot of mistakes he get's killed fast in high tier battles, which gives very little space for "not-that-good" tto play actively and stay alive.

And on lower tiers average player tend to be less aware so there just less enemies ready to punish you for your bad play.

 

Although as battle dynamics highly differs the base mechanics on low tiers stay pretty much the same. 

 

View PostUnicorn_of_Steel, on 17 December 2019 - 08:38 PM, said:

Afraid to ask but.....what is "imba"? I'm 53 you know….

 

OP, overpowered, imbalanced, imba. You're a gamer dude, you should know your language :D



Unicorn_of_Steel #17 Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:57 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16754 battles
  • 476
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A
  • Member since:
    12-29-2017

View Postpecopad, on 17 December 2019 - 06:52 PM, said:

After some time, you don't increase your skill by playing low tier tanks, the meta is completely different.


Well, that's a problem too. I don't mind at all playing tier 4-5 but a tier 8 battle is totally different and i enjoy those to. Even when i s*ck...

17:57 Added after 0 minute

View PostBR33K1_PAWAH, on 17 December 2019 - 06:54 PM, said:

 

What you said is 100% accurate, but if player makes a lot of mistakes he get's killed fast in high tier battles, which gives very little space for "not-that-good" tto play actively and stay alive.

And on lower tiers average player tend to be less aware so there just less enemies ready to punish you for your bad play.

 

Although as battle dynamics highly differs the base mechanics on low tiers stay pretty much the same. 

 

 

OP, overpowered, imbalanced, imba. You're a gamer dude, you should know your language :D


:trollface:



LethalWalou #18 Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:00 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33371 battles
  • 1,646
  • [RSOP] RSOP
  • Member since:
    09-17-2012

View PostBR33K1_PAWAH, on 17 December 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

 

What you said is 100% accurate, but if player makes a lot of mistakes he get's killed fast in high tier battles, which gives very little space for "not-that-good" tto play actively and stay alive.

And on lower tiers average player tend to be less aware so there just less enemies ready to punish you for your bad play.

 

Although as battle dynamics highly differs the base mechanics on low tiers stay pretty much the same. 

 

Yes indeed, and that's where the hard part comes from, as in learning from your mistakes. :D If one possesses the ability to objectively look into their play and can understand where they got spotted, shot and such, they will learn from those situations in higher tiers where they get killed fast. That of course requires game and map knowledge. It simply is not easy to get good at the game but a simple road map would be ''lower tiers for map knowledge'' and ''streams, statistics and higher tiers for game knowledge''. Mid tiers (6-8) are also a place where one can learn a lot since you are fighting against tier 8 and 9 which have a lot of decent and good players.

 

I personally grinded couple dozen lines to tier 8 and when reaching tier 8, I then started a new line and thus learned a lot about the game before even stepping into higher tiers properly.


Edited by LethalWalou, 17 December 2019 - 07:02 PM.


lolomantasss #19 Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:03 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 2666 battles
  • 21
  • Member since:
    04-29-2016
it's not your skill level. it's rigged WR% that wont let you play easier. for example: after account creation the specific wr % will be assigned to you. let's say 50%. at the beginning it will not corespond a true value but later in the middle trip it begins to vary about 2% due to your skill or unexpected events like 'bad players win against good players'. then, after more battles the percentage will become more stable to 50 and implements your game win or loss events (yes, not vice versa). axample:
10 000 battles; 5 000 win; 5 000 loss; WR-50% (increasing to 51% you need ~200 battles and all win)
1 000; 500; 500; WR-50% (increasing to 51% you need only 20 wins)
so, Victory and Loss value is dropping down by the battle count. it's getting close to your particular WR percentage, yes? and later cant change it no matter what. so you are stuck in your position. example:
two more default players with rigged wr% were registered into the game and later dropped together in same pre-battle queue.
player one is rarely playing and achiving 56% wr in 100 battles (rigged wr 50%)
player two is often playing and achiving 49% wr in 1000 battles (rigged wr 51%)
what will happen-
all players in queue filtered that must win and lost strictly.
p1 goes to pre-lost team
p2 goes to pre-win team
battle starts
p1 loses the match and complains why he always on potatoe team
p2 hopes to be in battle with good team again (+probably pays for another prem account day)
eventually that feeling for both players - good performance in ALL battles top dmg top exp but still looser half time. it's obvious, i tell you, i can predict when is gonna be an recovery from lost matches or when it is winning time just by lookin at tank list or/and player badges before the battle and i think this is the way how WG controling theyr players. players who pays money, streamers, clan members, wg supporters... they always got adjusted WR to nicer %. so my answer- buy something big! you wont regret. it's Christmas time, treat yourself:)

Bordhaw #20 Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:06 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 15576 battles
  • 5,322
  • Member since:
    01-29-2017

View PostUnicorn_of_Steel, on 17 December 2019 - 05:38 PM, said:

Here are some nice statistics of today that i guess say it all:

 

StuG III B: 6 battles, average damage 561

Panther: 2 battles, average damage 981

Udes 14-5: 6 battles, average damage 329

 

:hiding:

17:41 Added after 2 minute


Afraid to ask but.....what is "imba"? I'm 53 you know….

 


Edited by Bordhaw, 17 December 2019 - 07:07 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users