Strv. 81 - guess who didn't want to pay for PrimoVictoria's rights anymore?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

FizzlePopBerryTwist #1 Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32447 battles
  • [FIM] FIM

Using twitch/amazon prime you can get this 14day rental: https://tanks.gg/tank/strv-81/compare?cs=pvictoria

Overall a fine tank. Perhaps not particularly strong, but far from being the worst thing ever. One can look at it and say "Yep. it has its uses" (mostly hills/ hull down).

As you see above its 1:1 the exact same tank as the Primo Victoria, but without paint job... - just a dark green slapped on it. Literally recycled. (that's why it's green!)

So why would WG do that? First off: it's beyond cheap. Slapping the green job onto a Centurion I and copying the 'Primo Victoria's' stats. Done. All of this is done within a few hours.

Another reason i see is that the Primo Victoria (like a few others) are tied to music bands which want a piece of the cake whenever you say their names aloud... so...

How to sell this tank to the players without paying for the rights or having to come up with something new? See above. 

I would laugh aloud if you could see beneath the color and find leftover things inside, like the 'albums' you could find in the victorias turret... but i'm quite sure we ain't that lucky^^

Still, kinda funny once you see length WG' goes to make you a meaningful present: a recycled tank, which you can't keep ...unless you pay us! - after Christmas of course *humble* :]

- signed, Mr. ScroogeWargaming

On a side note: IF you want an actual British medium tank which is a lot stronger: MK 5/1's ... it got 120mm UFP which makes it a lot easier on hills. Same for the Fv4202.

For all those who like to train their lovely Sweedish crews... yeah, fair enough- Give it a pass. :bush:

Anna_Kalashnikova #2 Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:19 PM

General

• 17632 battles
  • [ST0RM] ST0RM
In fact, the strv 81 has been around in the gamefiles just as long  as the primo Victoria (which is nothing, but a STRV 81 with a special 3D skin.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 78050 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostAnna_Kalashnikova, on 23 December 2019 - 08:19 PM, said:

In fact, the strv 81 has been around in the gamefiles just as long  as the primo Victoria (which is nothing, but a STRV 81 with a special 3D skin.

More or less this, it's been in the game for ages. And unlike the Skorpion G. Can't even recall any topic asking for a non-skinned version of it, or the 81 to be sold.... or wanted more then one variant of it. In fact I can't even recall the last time I did see the Primo vic. Tier 6 prem med is a way better crew trainer anyway. And cheaper.

As for the rights? Thing is, even if you pay you don't always get to keep or renew rights. As there is more than one side of a business deal than just the one waving the money. If other parties don't like it, or don't want to renew it. Nothing WG can do.

It's why the Fury was only sold once as it was part of the deal when the movie came. And then the studio did not want to renew it to WG until years later. Regardless of how much money WG came with.

Edited by Balc0ra, 23 December 2019 - 10:51 PM.

_SpartanWarrior_ #4 Posted 24 December 2019 - 12:59 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 40294 battles
  • [BLOJ] BLOJ

as they say

easy money

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users