Are Wheeled Tanks ruining the game?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Tankmeister_1 #1 Posted 24 December 2019 - 02:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6067 battles

Is it just me that thinks this class of light is having a negative impact on gameplay?

This used to be a much more tactical game...its starts and you choose where to go, where your fave place is on any given map and where you think you may be of most use, however within 20 secs you can be spotted and all your plans are impacted. I agree that spotting is an integral part of the game but not to the point where a standard heavy is more worried about finding cover first them playing the game second due to these stupidly fast tanks.

As for spg's - haven't they been nerfed enough without now having these little tanks out them in record time?  The spg was nerfed as they were deemed to have too mush of an advantage (so less penetration etc) - it was more of a battle of wits with the normal lights to remain un-spotted - but now their game can be over in under a minute due to the wheeled ones. 

woolfie #2 Posted 24 December 2019 - 03:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 50339 battles

Think of them as a tactical problem that needs sorting ASAP.

Players going to the same spots on a map every time they play it is not healthy for the game.

Just count your lucky stars we don't have to play against them with no 6th sense skill and unlimited arty per team like the old days.

BR33K1_PAWAH #3 Posted 24 December 2019 - 04:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 8158 battles
:deer:

A_Fun_Lovin_Criminal #4 Posted 25 December 2019 - 12:58 AM

Private

• Player
  • 359 battles
Woolfie - I dont disagree to a point but they have such great speed you cant even get to any semblance of cover in a tank with less than a 35kph top speed if they come at you full speed and good luck hitting them if you're a heavy (or arty). Also they seem to yolo a lot especially if they are bottom tier which is simply annoying - they spot everyone and die but the slower tanks who have no hope of avoidance get hammered as a consequence....which removes the strategy element of this game completely

Dramya #5 Posted 25 December 2019 - 01:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16323 battles
  • [_PZF_] _PZF_

It all depends on the map and the composition of the teams, in some maps they can be powerful and in some maps they are downright useless. But this is the same for every tanks, some maps are better then others.

I think the wheeled vehicles have both a positive and a negative impact on the game. The positive impact is that people are forced to change their standard behaviour when they see one on the opposite team. This makes for more diverse gameplay overall. Some people might still have to learn how to do this, but they should be able to learn.

But there are indeed some issues with this vehicle that may need to be addressed, the wheels should not "bounce" this much damage to be honest, but to call them OP because of this is too much. A lot of the OP'ness is also because of the drivers experience, not the vehicle.

All in all they can be very fun to play but hard to master, especially in less ideal maps like city maps.

And as for the games being faster and less tactical nowadays; this is not because of the wheeled vehicles being brought in the game. It was already a trend before they came out. Overall skill and experience of the players have gone down, people make more mistakes, there's a lot more lemming trains and people do not know how to deal with those situations.

Edited by Dramya, 25 December 2019 - 01:29 PM.

Bro_Constantine #6 Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:59 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5042 battles
Of course they do.
Light tanks and some mediums are useless since wheelies can track you can you can't, they have higher dps and armor, insane auto-aim and mobility/speed.

Ogruls #7 Posted 25 December 2019 - 05:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 45860 battles
  • [OLDG] OLDG

Totally unrealistic game play from them, tracked vehicles go where wheeled ones can not -except in WOT.

Gremlin182 #8 Posted 25 December 2019 - 06:24 PM

General

• Player
  • 60354 battles

Actually I think wheeled tanks are the best thing to happen to the game for some time.

I was getting really bored of the SPGs are ruining the game threads and the Gold spam threads are not a decent substitute.

Complaining about wheeled tanks is still comparatively fresh and unlike the other two topics there are some points still worth discussing.

What I find as a light tank player is that they have added another level to the game, and they are dangerous opponents.

I can kill them but its not always easy.

It was getting somewhat repetitive being able to scout on many maps by just picking one or two places and letting your team pick off the enemy tanks you lit up.

Having driven the wheeled vehicles up to tier 9 and played against them of course I can say on the whole they are balanced.

What you cannot tell until you drive them for a bit is what happens when you get hit they may keep moving but they are damaged and need a repair same as other tanks.

Speed is way down and steering usually awful if as quite often happens you lose the driver as well you are pretty much out of the fight without using a med and repair kit.

Be interesting to see how they perform if the HE rounds get changed to zero penetration, some of the wheeled tanks have 90mm pen with HE and its pretty devastating.

woolfie #9 Posted 25 December 2019 - 07:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 50339 battles

I felt the same when French autolaoders first came out but we adapted to them.

I think they definately could be much better balanced.

I also think that the amount of bad players who just YOLO in them magnifies things out of proportion.

Especially when schools are on holiday and there are missions that just need participation.

Aleo #10 Posted 25 December 2019 - 08:02 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 33015 battles
  • [QSF-C] QSF-C

Yes.

1ucky #11 Posted 28 December 2019 - 11:44 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 89613 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

Probably not, overall.

But they're ruining it sometimes, for some people.

Edited by 1ucky, 28 December 2019 - 11:45 PM.

Gremlin182 #12 Posted 29 December 2019 - 01:30 AM

General

• Player
  • 60354 battles

Instead of using the word Ruining try using Changing.

Are wheeled vehicles changing the game

Yes

See much better

If you insist on using the word ruining try to be more specific.

Are wheeled vehicles ruining some tactics

Probably yes.

Can we adapt and use different tactics

probably yes.

Scanmen #13 Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:20 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 25981 battles
  • [WNB] WNB
"Are Wheeled Tanks ruining the game?"

Definitely yes.
But that won't change anymore. Welcome to wot...  :trollface:

nc30_guy #14 Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26874 battles
Spotted 15 seconds into a game is not how it's supposed to be and god help anyone with a below average internet connection the cars must just teleport about the maps for those guys.

Kagey_8_8_8 #15 Posted 30 December 2019 - 03:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4866 battles

Yes...

Early spotting is crazy - on open field or small maps 80% of the team can get spotted (and artied and some killed!) in the first minute...  those games become a joke...  as Mr Kellermann says: Clown Cars!

Would be better to limit the number of wheelies to one per game, or at least one per tier...  2 per team is still nuts though..

Might as well add flying tanks next...  :facepalm:

voodoospirit #16 Posted 30 December 2019 - 03:58 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 30005 battles

View PostKagey_8_8_8, on 30 December 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

Yes...

Early spotting is crazy - on open field or small maps 80% of the team can get spotted (and artied and some killed!) in the first minute...  those games become a joke...  as Mr Kellermann says: Clown Cars!

Would be better to limit the number of wheelies to one per game, or at least one per tier...  2 per team is still nuts though..

Might as well add flying tanks next...  :facepalm:

well, in the other lights, i spot as much without being too close to get a shot at me....less risky, as much spotting, easier to withdraw.

thetartanbaron #17 Posted 30 December 2019 - 05:02 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4804 battles
At up to tier 7 I don' think they are game breaking. They're no more troublesome than a normal light tank. However their shell hit mechanics need to be revised. When I hit a normal tier 6 light tank with the 105mm on my T29 I half kill it but if I hit an  AMD 178B with the same gun it bounces off a wheel? How is that even remotely realistic?

voodoospirit #18 Posted 30 December 2019 - 06:54 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 30005 battles
wheeled wars are high on the ground, u have way more chance to kill a wheel and not hit the tank than any other tanks. aim higher ( + rng of course)

Gremlin182 #19 Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:14 PM

General

• Player
  • 60354 battles

Early spotting is this really a problem.

First few minutes of the game all the tanks are moving into position even if an SPG pre aimed at the place you are going to be spotted its not even going to be loaded in 15 seconds

Being spotted 2 or 3 minutes into the game that might be a problem.

The old suicide light tanks used to do this and it achieves little they catch all the enemy tanks at their start point just beginning to move off then die.

The only useful information if you can even call it that is which direction the tanks are heading.

Wheeled light tanks are great for distracting enemies and killing light tanks, if they survive to the mid game then they are great for taking out lone tanks.

thetartanbaron #20 Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4804 battles

Block Quote

wheeled wars are high on the ground, u have way more chance to kill a wheel and not hit the tank than any other tanks. aim higher ( + rng of course)

He he. Aim higher. I'm just happy to hit them anywhere.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users