Best and Worst of your Free Big Box Tanks

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Bulldog_Drummond #1 Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34180 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

I did have some that box gift tanks that look interesting, but among the others was the Pz III K

On taking this out for a first game just now I didn't do too badly, but found myself wondering what the point of it was, apart from being a crew trainer

• Bad armour
  • Bad Gun
  • Bad speed

Is there some mystery dust to the III K that I am overlooking, or is it just useless?

Nishi_Kinuyo #2 Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:50 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9913 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

It is a tier 4 tank at best, but with tier 5 hitpoints and tier 5 matchmaking.

Personally, I've only kept it in case someone gifts me another box and I can claim the gold compensation instead of selling it again for credits.

1ucky #3 Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:51 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 89475 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

I don't know but it's cool you can see it being useful as a crew trainer. That's at least something.

The gun depression is nice too and it has lots of HP for a medium, but it's hardly spectacular.

PeaceWalker1 #4 Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18029 battles
  • [-WIR_] -WIR_
It isnt particularly strong, but it looks neat and so far all my matches in it were fun. 

Balc0ra #5 Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74866 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Got mine for free via the Twitch code event thing a few months ago. Camo is the only good thing about it with a good crew. But the rest is just flat out trash. It's not even "meh" when top tier. hate it... Even the Matilda BP is a monster vs it. I got demoralized to even try to 3 mark it after a few games. 

Got some boxes from a mate for Xmas. Did not get the K again luckily. Got the Turian last year tho. But got the Firefly and the tier II wheelie this year.

Edited by Balc0ra, 26 December 2019 - 11:05 PM.

Stevies_Team #6 Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:41 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15765 battles

I liked the sexton but the maps it got were the most godawful maps you could get for that type of tonk so I sold it

The E75TS is pretty good but its as big as a Maus

The Firefly semms to be a peach after not many games

24doom24 #7 Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:22 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8894 battles
  • [WW3] WW3

View PostStevies_Team, on 26 December 2019 - 10:41 PM, said:

I liked the sexton but the maps it got were the most godawful maps you could get for that type of tonk so I sold it

The E75TS is pretty good but its as big as a Maus

The Firefly semms to be a peach after not many games

oof, the sexton is way more broken OP tier for tier than a lefh just saying. 

BravelyRanAway #8 Posted 27 December 2019 - 02:18 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 24701 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
I must say I like the Panther....Firefly isn't bad either.

PowJay #9 Posted 27 December 2019 - 10:42 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 41285 battles

I wasn't going to spend money this year, but the Christmas spirit got me, and I decided to take a punt on some boxes. I got 11 just to get some Gold as I could do with some. I got the Sexton and Firefly VC. Last night, I was feeling festive and I bought 25. I got the Bretagne Panther and the Pz III K.

I hadn't even heard of the Pz III K, so I went looking for some information. Oh well. Never mind. I have a great crew to put in it, so I decided to give it a try and see what happens.

I got a tier IV/V battle, which was a good start. I ended with 1395 HP damage, 553 HP spotting, and three kills. We lost. Not helped by the fact that a B1 redlined the entire battle and, when it came to defending the base against two enemies capping, he failed miserably. At first, he didn't even move. Just sat there while the enemies capped. Then it was clear he was shooting HE. Just a complete joke. 1st Class in a LOSS, with (not surprisingly) High Calibre. It can stay in the garage.

I played the Bretagne Panther last night, just to fix the chosen crew in place. If I tell you that I was something like 400 HP damage, you won't be impressed. If I tell you that I was fifth or sixth on damage in a tier VI battle, that should give you an idea of how good my team was.

I played the Firefly VC today. Again, this was just to fix the (Cent 7/1) crew in place. I haven't got on with any of the Sherman variants well enough to keep even one, so I don't hold out much hope. I had a rather meh! win.

But the Sexton. Oh boy. Of course, it is an SPG. I am really hating playing SPGs and, now that I have got the CGC for PMs, I promised never to play an SPG unless it was actively for a mission objective. Well, I played the Sexton with the pretty good CGC crew trained all the way up from the bottom tier UK SPGs.

I hated it. It may have 10 second reload, or thereabouts, but aim time is as long as a tier VII+ SPG if you move. With no splash to speak of and (obviously) no stun, you have to fully aim to have a chance. My experience of it was that it wasn't any less painful than any other SPG. Open and fallen flanks. YOLO LTs. "That was close!" I have played 6 and won 3 and, as it has no eligibility for missions whatsoever, I doubt that I will be playing it again.

Blubba #10 Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:06 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 61370 battles

Thanks mainly to young family members buying me xmas and birthday presents from WoT's catalogue, I have pretty much all the lower tiered tanks so the German Pz.III k when it arrived in my garage sat amongst the Turan, Pz T25, Schmalturm, Grobtractor, PzS35, M10 and several higher tiered ones. It's the one reason I haven't played it and it's the only one I got at xmas I haven't played. The VC I have played but in fairness, I received that for my birthday earlier this year and I like it.

The Bretagne Panther I have played to set the crew up and it plays like the Pudel in that the gun, whilst penning most things you point at doesn't really hurt them enough.

The E75TS is not particularly outstanding for me in anything but it's still an ok tank.

The 703 is fun. I like the gimmick of the twin barrels and it doesn't seem OP. Certainly not compared to certain other tier 8 tanks.

The French wheeled thing....well I play most of my tanks and I played that one and it doesn't seem to have anything going for it at all. Not for me but again, to be fair, I know it works for others.

The Sexton is the one I'd been most looking forward to getting. It's the one low tier that's escaped me so when I got it, I was pleased. I played it and can honestly say that whilst I do own it and am happy that I own it, it's totally shite and I don't really want to double check my results by playing it again. It will take pride of place in my garage and I will not sell it but I am unlikely to play it again. I'll just look at it a lot and be content.

Nishi_Kinuyo #11 Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:24 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9913 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 26 December 2019 - 10:50 PM, said:

It is a tier 4 tank at best, but with tier 5 hitpoints and tier 5 matchmaking.

Personally, I've only kept it in case someone gifts me another box and I can claim the gold compensation instead of selling it again for credits.

Sorry, forgot to elaborate on my reply:

Here's the comparison between it, and the relevant tier 4/5 german MTs that mount the 7.5cm L/43 or L/48:

https://tanks.gg/com...-iii-pt~pz-iv-d

And, as one can see, even the Pz4D at tier 4 has better stats. :sceptic:

SoupFork #12 Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:41 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14139 battles

Best: Spaghettio 46 

Worst: 250g, 100.000 credits, 1 tier V deco, 1 tier 1 deco.

Corrupted_Pling #13 Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:51 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 52026 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

You can make up your mind if this was good or bad.

Suurpolskija #14 Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:59 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 24295 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

At first I though, looking at the list of tanks, that I'm not gonna spend any money on those. Buuuuuuut... this one friday I got a bit tipsy and decided I'm such a rich bit** that I'll just go on and indulge myself with a set of 11x boxes. 

And what do you know, here's the tanks I got in the order of significance:

1. Su-130PM - I haven't bothered with the USSR tiddies much, but I had some SU with numbers gathering dust, so "yay". Anyways, this premium is fun enough, if I ever feel like kemping boosh. Seems to make nice credits, compared to some others. 

2. Bretagne Panther - It has actually bothered me somewhat that I haven't had a VK30.02M clone to myself even though I kinda liked it back in the day. So... I guess now I have one. Dunno if I'll play it. 

3. Some pz kmpf numbersletters tier5. Didn't know it existed and I'll likely forget it pretty soon. Played a game in it, hoping it would be something like that other pz kmpf numbers in the techtree, but was disappointed. This is probably the closest I've come to selling a premium tank. (checked the name and it seems it's the same one Bulldog was talking about, Pz.Kpfw. lll Ausf. K) 

Now, in looking back, I guess it was kind of "worth it" to buy the package, if you're into WG pricing of things, but as it stands, I have 66 premium/reward/freebie tanks in my garage and for me I guess the tanks aren't worth the 20€ - they don't really make my gaming experience better or funnier -  but I guess the indulgence part was. So. Yay I guess. 

Finsken #15 Posted 27 December 2019 - 01:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8837 battles
  • [-VAL-] -VAL-

Firefly is awesome.

E75 TS is fun.

T2 wheels is meh.

Havent really tested the rest of them (730PenisMaster, BananaPanther, PzSomething,SexyTon).

Bulldog_Drummond #16 Posted 27 December 2019 - 02:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34180 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

I already had the Bret Panther, along with the Pudel Panther and VK Panther, all being more or less identical, so I think I got some gold for it in the boxes

There's something about those Tier VI Panthers that works for me.  You can start off by sniping with the high pen gun, going hull-down your top is quite hard, and you can exploit in mid to end game.

I've decided that the Pz III K is similar to (but worse than) my other German Tier V Premium Mediums, T 25 and Turan, so I have given it the same rig-out as them, with Binos and Camo and will use it as a sniper.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users