29 replies to this topic

Bulldog_Drummond #1 Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34198 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

I just noticed that my Conqueror has a 4 skill crew commanded by a Major

My Obj 257 has a 7 skill crew also commanded by a Major

Are there no Colonels in the game?  Would not it add some lustre if there were?

Speaking for myself I would feel much happier in a tank commanded by a Colonel than by a mere Major

Image result for colonel spy cartoon

BravelyRanAway #2 Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:00 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 24709 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

Finger lickin' good!

Desyatnik_Pansy #3 Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:01 AM

Bartender

• 18799 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
According to the WoT Wiki (which doesn't show all nations tho), Major appears to be the highest rank across all nations, so.. :unsure:

BravelyRanAway #4 Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:07 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 24709 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 27 December 2019 - 11:01 PM, said:

According to the WoT Wiki (which doesn't show all nations tho), Major appears to be the highest rank across all nations, so.. :unsure:

Yet, we all know that Patton was a general...as was de Gaulle.

Bulldog_Drummond #5 Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:13 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34198 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 27 December 2019 - 11:01 PM, said:

Distressing news indeed

BravelyRanAway #6 Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:14 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 24709 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 27 December 2019 - 11:13 PM, said:

Distressing news indeed

TBH....he'd never get in with the silly hat....so maybe that's it.:hiding:

Bulldog_Drummond #7 Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:15 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34198 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostBravelyRanAway, on 27 December 2019 - 11:14 PM, said:

TBH....he'd never get in with the silly hat....so maybe that's it.:hiding:

That's what the cupola is for

BravelyRanAway #8 Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:18 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 24709 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 27 December 2019 - 11:15 PM, said:

:teethhappy:

Nishi_Kinuyo #9 Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:49 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9945 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Dunno, highest I got is Chuu-i.

But did a Tai-sa even fight on the front?

Bulldog_Drummond #10 Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:00 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34198 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 27 December 2019 - 11:49 PM, said:

Dunno, highest I got is Chuu-i.

But did a Tai-sa even fight on the front?

Not normally, 陸軍大佐 being a staff role, but there would have been some Rikugun-Chūsa, surely? 

In the UK we would normally call a Lt Colonel a Colonel out of courtesy

A lot of the UK non-com ranks in the game are a bit odd in that I wouldn't have expected to see warrant officers in a tank (someone will no doubt correct me on this)

TheJumpMaster #11 Posted 28 December 2019 - 09:28 AM

Major General

• 50921 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 28 December 2019 - 02:00 AM, said:

Not normally, 陸軍大佐 being a staff role, but there would have been some Rikugun-Chūsa, surely? 

A lot of the UK non-com ranks in the game are a bit odd in that I wouldn't have expected to see warrant officers in a tank (someone will no doubt correct me on this)

A warrant officer should not be in a tank(At least in the Canadian army).

Edited by TheJumpMaster, 28 December 2019 - 09:43 AM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #12 Posted 28 December 2019 - 11:23 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9945 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 28 December 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

A warrant officer should not be in a tank(At least in the Canadian army).

And then I got two tanks full of them. :teethhappy:

One of the crews being my WW1 boys.

OllieCromwell #13 Posted 28 December 2019 - 11:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46092 battles
  • [GENB] GENB
Then again ... would a colonel get his hands/feet dirty in the midst of battle ... or would he be redline camping and just ordering his troops to the front (even more so with Russian Colonels).

rsanders5 #14 Posted 28 December 2019 - 11:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29020 battles

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 28 December 2019 - 12:00 AM, said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see WO2's in vehicles as commanders, but not sure about WO1's as there is usually only 1 per unit & holds the 

appointment of RSM. Also some of the UK tank units are cavalry units & have their own rank system for NCO's & WO's

A little bit I found on cavalry ranks:_

The Household Cavalry maintains the old cavalry tradition of having no rank of sergeant, which was originally an infantry rank only. It has its own peculiar set of insignia and ranks with the following equivalents:
Staff Corporal = Staff Sergeant: Four chevrons, point up and worn on the lower sleeve, with metal crown above
Corporal of Horse = Sergeant: Three chevrons, with metal crown above
Lance Corporal of Horse = Lance Sergeant (Corporal): Three chevrons, with cloth crown above
Lance Corporal: Two chevrons, with cloth crown above.
Similarly, warrant officer appointments are different, with, for example, Regimental Corporal Major being used in place of Regimental Sergeant Major. Uniquely, non-commissioned officers and warrant officers of the Household Cavalry do not wear any insignia on their full dress uniforms (although officers do). Rank is indicated by a system of aiguillettes.

Homer_J #15 Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:24 PM

Field Marshal

• 33157 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

There was some discussion about this way back in Ye Olden days of WoT and the reason given by the WoT devs (back then we had a direct line of communication via Overlord) was....

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 28 December 2019 - 08:28 AM, said:

A warrant officer should not be in a tank.

Bulldog_Drummond #16 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34198 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

I am fairly sure that Rommel spent some time commanding from a tank in France 1940

Also from the Wiki:

Block Quote

The Thunderbolt VII tank under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Creighton Abrams, the commander of the 37th Tank Battalion (subsequently a General and U.S. Army Chief of Staff). The vehicle was effectively the M4A3E8 Sherman tank with additional armor mounted in the field.

Bulldog_Drummond #17 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34198 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View Postrsanders5, on 28 December 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see WO2's in vehicles as commanders, but not sure about WO1's as there is usually only 1 per unit & holds the 

appointment of RSM. Also some of the UK tank units are cavalry units & have their own rank system for NCO's & WO's

A little bit I found on cavalry ranks:_

linkMacSystemFont, '-apple-system', 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;background:none;"> The Household Cavalry maintains the old cavalry tradition of having no rank of sergeant, which was originally an infantry rank only. It has its own peculiar set of insignia and ranks with the following equivalents:
linkMacSystemFont, '-apple-system', 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;background:none;" /> linkMacSystemFont, '-apple-system', 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;background:none;">Staff Corporal = Staff Sergeant: Four chevrons, point up and worn on the lower sleeve, with metal crown above
linkMacSystemFont, '-apple-system', 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;background:none;" /> linkMacSystemFont, '-apple-system', 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;background:none;">Corporal of Horse = Sergeant: Three chevrons, with metal crown above
linkMacSystemFont, '-apple-system', 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;background:none;" /> linkMacSystemFont, '-apple-system', 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;background:none;">Lance Corporal of Horse = Lance Sergeant (Corporal): Three chevrons, with cloth crown above
linkMacSystemFont, '-apple-system', 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;background:none;" /> linkMacSystemFont, '-apple-system', 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;background:none;">Lance Corporal: Two chevrons, with cloth crown above.
linkMacSystemFont, '-apple-system', 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;background:none;" /> linkMacSystemFont, '-apple-system', 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;background:none;">Similarly, warrant officer appointments are different, with, for example, Regimental Corporal Major being used in place of Regimental Sergeant Major. Uniquely, non-commissioned officers and warrant officers of the Household Cavalry do not wear any insignia on their full dress uniforms (although officers do). Rank is indicated by a system of aiguillettes.

My experience from a lifetime of playing board wargames is that American designers could never get their heads around British TO&E oddities, e.g.

• A regiment is an admin unit, not a combat unit, and may have numerous battalions spread out all over the world
  • A cavalry tank regiment is actually a battalion sized unit
  • A Corps might be anything
  • Recce units were not fighting units 
  • Engineers were not assault units

My all time favourite is the treatment of the Glider Pilot Regiment in Market Garden wargames.  One notably allowed the GP to be aborted by flak but the glider borne units to land anyway.  Other games have the GPs fighting as actual regiments.

Something else that US designers could never get their heads around was that our independent amour brigades were not stand-alone units but designed to fight with an infantry division.

splash_time #18 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14368 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 28 December 2019 - 02:15 AM, said:

For bumped head people? :)

And i also like your point, why don't we have "special commanders"? Just like "Santa" but with "colonel" rank. 

My idea was like this, starting from T5, your commander starts as "Recruit" and as much as he update with the tanks and higher tiers, he gains a higher rank, and when he reach the maximum rank? He receives a fully trained perk/skill ready to use (if he's already training, then it'll reach 100%, but if he's ready to train other perk, he'll receive it fully trained.)

Spurtung #19 Posted 29 December 2019 - 01:30 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 76259 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

Very outdated, but alas, it explains how ranks are achieved.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew#Ranks

HassenderZerhacker #20 Posted 29 December 2019 - 04:23 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 32087 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 28 December 2019 - 01:00 AM, said:

during my brief time in the military I was instructed that as part of military protocol, lt colonels have to be verbally addressed as colonel. seemed to me to be a bit more than just courtesy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users