• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

antwerp_fighter #1 Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 54006 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Hi guys,

I am currently grinding British lights, with all daily X5 and Maiden mission X5...trying to reach tier 10 as soon as possible...

So far, I have passed tier 7, now at tier 8...

I know how bad it is when fully stock in my tier 7 (57mm gun with 5 second reload)...but now, even with top turret and gun in my tier 8...I still feel so useless when facing other same tier lights, or even lower tier ones...

So far, what I do is mostly "passive spoting"...which quite boring and not really working in many corridor maps...

So, any tips about grinding this line, especially in tier 8 and 9? and for tier 10, is it worthy to put my new santa crew in it?

Thanks all!

----updates-----

well, I am now at tier 9, feels much better than tier 8...

from the suggestions below and my own experience, I would say:

1. stock tier 7 is Horrible... skip the whole grind if you have enough free exp or blue prints

2. tier 8 is below average,  never brawl with other lights, in most cases, you will lose (maybe because I did not research engine and tracks...to save exp, I only unlock the turret and gun), do passive spot as much as possible

3. currently at tier 9, fully stock,  feels much better (gun elevation is much better than tier 8), but it turns like a boat...I start to like this tank...

4. no idea about tier 10, but that -8/+8 gun depression elevation looks bad...

-----final updates-----

Thanks to X5 missions, got manticore now, not bad, not good either...

gun handling is average, the main problems are gun elevation and traverse speed.

The good thing about this tank, IMO, is the small size...so you can use some funky bushes.

Overall, this grind is kind of painful, since you have to do passive spot a lot, avoiding the brawling with other lights...and remember, before grinding this line, got enough free exp for modules (engine and tracks)...

Tier 7  -bad

Tier 8  -below average

Tier 9  -above average

Tier 10-below average

Edited by antwerp_fighter, 01 January 2020 - 07:41 AM.

baratoz1701 #2 Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:14 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26248 battles
  • [DNUTZ] DNUTZ
Haven't played them, but they are designed for passive spotting, not fighting

Stevies_Team #3 Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16729 battles
From what I've read and seen WoT put the British lights line in as an extra hard challenge for players

MetaCube63 #4 Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7283 battles
  • [LD-FR] LD-FR
Don't

Elua #5 Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 33964 battles
Just don't. This grind is VERY PAINFUL and t10 is not worth at all.

antwerp_fighter #6 Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 54006 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View PostMetaCube63, on 28 December 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

Don't

View PostElua, on 28 December 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

Just don't. This grind is VERY PAINFUL and t10 is not worth at all.

View PostStevies_Team, on 28 December 2019 - 12:18 PM, said:

From what I've read and seen WoT put the British lights line in as an extra hard challenge for players

thanks for the input, I literately have got most of tier X tanks...just dont want to waste the x5 missions...

baratoz1701 #7 Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26248 battles
  • [DNUTZ] DNUTZ

View Postantwerp_fighter, on 28 December 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

thanks for the input, I literately have got most of tier X tanks...just dont want to waste the x5 missions...

Im from UK, and was super excited for this line, but the playstyle just totally does not fit me, so i skipped it completely. It's a shame, but i'm not gna grind something (if you can call it a grind with all these x5 xp's) if it's not going to be fun

NUKLEAR_SLUG #8 Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:59 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35565 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View Postantwerp_fighter, on 28 December 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

, is it worthy to put my new santa crew in it?

Yes, you only have two crew in there so they have a lot of jobs to do so you want the best ones you can get.

Blubba #9 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:05 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 61593 battles

View Postantwerp_fighter, on 28 December 2019 - 11:10 AM, said:

Hi guys,

I am currently grinding British lights, with all daily X5 and Maiden mission X5...trying to reach tier 10 as soon as possible...

So far, I have passed tier 7, now at tier 8...

I know how bad it is when fully stock in my tier 7 (57mm gun with 5 second reload)...but now, even with top turret and gun in my tier 8...I still feel so useless when facing other same tier lights, or even lower tier ones...

So far, what I do is mostly "passive spoting"...which quite boring and not really working in many corridor maps...

So, any tips about grinding this line, especially in tier 8 and 9? and for tier 10, is it worthy to put my new santa crew in it?

Thanks all!

You're right. They are boring. Passive spotting is about it at the start. You can get more active later on in the battle but sadly, that's it. They are outclassed by just about every other thing on the battlefield in my experience so you can't afford to get caught out.

Whilst it's no bad thing to use your uber crews in it, I wouldn't as I wouldn't play them through choice once I'd researched the tier 10 version.

Bit of a let down for me but then, I'm distinctly average. 

Edited by Blubba, 28 December 2019 - 02:05 PM.

Strappster #10 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28549 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

...but now, even with top turret and gun in my tier 8...I still feel so useless when facing other same tier lights, or even lower tier ones...

That's because your tank isn't meant to fight other lights. Use your camo to spot them or try to draw them into fire from your suppo... ahahahaha I made myself laugh and cry at the same time.

From what I understand, this is what the line is supposed to do. It's a very team-oriented tank, which isn't great for a game that's often played solo. I've seen some great results but they were very good players who happened to get exactly the right sort of opposition (i.e. mostly passive) on the right map.

But then if they played like every other line of lights, people would complain that the line doesn't offer anything different. Personally I enjoy playing tanks against the meta but I'm nowhere near one of those good players who can exploit the strengths, I'm more of a hipster using awkward tanks to excuse my poor results. :hiding:

LethalWalou #11 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33961 battles
  • [OISPA] OISPA

View Postantwerp_fighter, on 28 December 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

Okay, from a player that has actually played through them in randoms and in FL, I still recommend you to play them, especially a player of your level with most likely a good understanding of camo mechanics, maps and a source of crew members to use on them.

For starters, you can't rely on the DPM of your gun in these. You can rely on the gun to do the damage and even if not focusing on damage, they will dish out damage nicely. They have easily the best penetration values of LTs on every tier so the damage even from frontal engagement is much more reliable. They are fairly fast, but for example the LHMTV turns like an oil tanker, not really nimble (and the sound the engine makes is horrific). The camo works as well as on any other LT and they can use the same positions and you have to take the same kind of approach to WVs like in every other tracked LT.

Apart from the tier 8, I liked every one of them. LHMTV wasn't that fun and I played it in FL rather than in randoms. The Manticore quickly became one of my favorite tanks and it gave me some EBR 105 vibes. The 390 alpha on it is just brilliant which is why I keep thinking of buying the WZ tier 10.

The major downside of them is the ammo count. You have to know it, always be wary of how much you have left and you have to adapt accordingly. I had some games where I was unable to carry in the end because I had not enough ammo. Maybe I would have lost them but I could have done more with more. Other than that they are pretty enjoyable and at times challenging machines and I do really suggest you to try them out. If you have grinded most of the tier 10s, then you should already have the nerves to grind anything in the game.

PS. What I have to say is don't just play dailies on them. I truly recommend to play them so that you play multiple battles in them so you get more used to them. The problem with playing just dailies or x5 is that you jump between vehicles and you are never really in the correct rhythm

Edited by LethalWalou, 28 December 2019 - 02:32 PM.

Jamadeus #12 Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:11 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22424 battles
  • [LOC-A] LOC-A

The T8 is much more comfortable than the setter. LethalW made some good points, particularly about playing it in multiple battles.  Spot, fall back, take a shot, spot some more.

NipplesTheClown #13 Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8679 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
lolwut

antwerp_fighter #14 Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:33 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 54006 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View PostBrinklyWollox, on 28 December 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

That's because your tank isn't meant to fight other lights. Use your camo to spot them or try to draw them into fire from your suppo... ahahahaha I made myself laugh and cry at the same time.

From what I understand, this is what the line is supposed to do. It's a very team-oriented tank, which isn't great for a game that's often played solo. I've seen some great results but they were very good players who happened to get exactly the right sort of opposition (i.e. mostly passive) on the right map.

But then if they played like every other line of lights, people would complain that the line doesn't offer anything different. Personally I enjoy playing tanks against the meta but I'm nowhere near one of those good players who can exploit the strengths, I'm more of a hipster using awkward tanks to excuse my poor results. :hiding:

appreciate your suggestions, it seems I have to adapt to the old school light tank play style, haha..back to 2015, when I firstly playing Chaffe...

14:36 Added after 3 minute

View PostLethalWalou, on 28 December 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

Okay, from a player that has actually played through them in randoms and in FL, I still recommend you to play them, especially a player of your level with most likely a good understanding of camo mechanics, maps and a source of crew members to use on them.

For starters, you can't rely on the DPM of your gun in these. You can rely on the gun to do the damage and even if not focusing on damage, they will dish out damage nicely. They have easily the best penetration values of LTs on every tier so the damage even from frontal engagement is much more reliable. They are fairly fast, but for example the LHMTV turns like an oil tanker, not really nimble (and the sound the engine makes is horrific). The camo works as well as on any other LT and they can use the same positions and you have to take the same kind of approach to WVs like in every other tracked LT.

Apart from the tier 8, I liked every one of them. LHMTV wasn't that fun and I played it in FL rather than in randoms. The Manticore quickly became one of my favorite tanks and it gave me some EBR 105 vibes. The 390 alpha on it is just brilliant which is why I keep thinking of buying the WZ tier 10.

The major downside of them is the ammo count. You have to know it, always be wary of how much you have left and you have to adapt accordingly. I had some games where I was unable to carry in the end because I had not enough ammo. Maybe I would have lost them but I could have done more with more. Other than that they are pretty enjoyable and at times challenging machines and I do really suggest you to try them out. If you have grinded most of the tier 10s, then you should already have the nerves to grind anything in the game.

PS. What I have to say is don't just play dailies on them. I truly recommend to play them so that you play multiple battles in them so you get more used to them. The problem with playing just dailies or x5 is that you jump between vehicles and you are never really in the correct rhythm

thank you very much, really useful!

I will try to follow your idea and not play British lights like mediums...haha...I get used to playing lights like medium nowadays, doing flanking jobs, in T-100LT/AMX 105/WZ-132-1, seems I need change this play style for this line.

Now I look forward Manticore, XD...probably will put my new Santa into it as commander...

shikaka9 #15 Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 74568 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

View Postbaratoz1701, on 28 December 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

Haven't played them, but they are designed for passive spotting, not fighting

but in battlefield they are exactly opposite ... not impressive at spotting and shines in fights even big against big toonks

azakow #16 Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:35 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84884 battles
Are they Hard to play?

Yes.

Do they suck at 1vs1?

Yes.

Do they need good crews?

Yes.

Do they require "old school" LTing?

Yes. (Tones of bushes anywhere that will fit your small foot print. Good camo to get there also. Be relaxed on the trigger, do safe shoots only. Stay away from other LT.)

Should you play them for a challenge?

Yes.

Can you be successful with them?

Yes.

My GSOR is best of LT in my garage.

3k+ combined @178 matches.
Spoiler

Should you buy Manticore?

Not at all!

Edited by azakow, 28 December 2019 - 05:36 PM.

LethalWalou #17 Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33961 battles
  • [OISPA] OISPA

View Postazakow, on 28 December 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

Yes, definitely

I noticed a typo there so I FIFY. You're welcome.

Desyatnik_Pansy #18 Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:51 PM

Bartender

• 19036 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

I hated the Setter, LHMTV Was a tad funny but the gun elevation/depression angles are so frustrating to work with when you actually have to shoot something that in the end I couldn't really like it. GSOR Though, oh man, I've been having a blast. Half the fun mind you is the vehicles are so bad I have no expectations of them. I've explained to a friend multiple times but, for myself atleast, this is kinda a big deal. Take a very good tank; let's use Progetto 46 For an example; and I have expectations to try to live up to in it, because the vehicle is that good. Having a bad game, being put into a position where I can't do anything and so on, that's not fun because I know just how powerful the tank is.

The GSOR (and British Lights in general) though, is the opposite. They're so bad that even in a terrible situation where I'd be pretty pissed off to be in in my Progetto or similar, I'm laughing my rear end off in the bloody thing. I do 3k damage and top the board in a like 3-15 Defeat in the thing and rather than be upset, I'm laughing at the thought that in a tank with this piss poor DPM, I've somehow outdamaged the likes of 430Us and so on. A tank which is even scared of most Tier VIIs being able to outDPM It, topping the board in a Tier X Game on damage, is bloody hilarious. :teethhappy:

Now, I can't speak about the Manticore, having not played it and no intention to buy it. AFAIK It returns the awkward gun elevation (though I want to say it doesn't have depression problems) that the LHMTV Had and at Tier X I think the opponents you'll be matched up with are gonna make it a lot more frustrating for both you and your team. 

Ogruls #19 Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 45862 battles
  • [OLDG] OLDG
Masochistic thread

Cobra6 #20 Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

UK lights are bad accross the board because there is only so much you can do passively before you have to start using your gun.

As an average player you can rely on your team to try and do their job and still get your average winratio automatically.

If however, you are a good/great player you want to influence your battles as you are not happy with being average and don't enjoy being average. This means you have to use your gun and kill people yourself. At this point you run into the same problem the EVEN90 has, it's terrible at engaging enemies because it's DPM is so low it gets slaughtered by anything it meets.

If a tank is not offensively competitive, it's not a good tank and thus the whole UK line, apart from the premium (because of course) is rather useless/uncompetitive in this game in the majority of the matches you are in.

View Postazakow, on 28 December 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

Are they Hard to play?

Yes.

Do they suck at 1vs1?

Yes.

Do they need good crews?

Yes.

Do they require "old school" LTing?

Yes. (Tones of bushes anywhere that will fit your small foot print. Good camo to get there also. Be relaxed on the trigger, do safe shoots only. Stay away from other LT.)

Should you play them for a challenge?

Yes.

Can you be successful with them?

Yes.

My GSOR is best of LT in my garage.

3k+ combined @178 matches.
Spoiler

Not at all!

Come on man, if you need a 4 skill crew, improved equipment *AND* food on a tank to make it useable, it's terribly balanced! It should be competitive out of the box or with standard equipment (rammer / coated / vents / Vstab) mounted. If it's not, it's not competitive and badly balanced.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 28 December 2019 - 06:02 PM.

Also tagged with British lights, grinding, weak

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users