Any tips about grinding British Lights?

British lights grinding weak

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Nebuched #21 Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:07 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14400 battles
I just stick to the Cromwell and Comet if I want to play UK lediums. Hopefully for you WG will release a premium UK light with better stats. 

Strappster #22 Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29095 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postshikaka9, on 28 December 2019 - 04:20 PM, said:

but in battlefield they are exactly opposite ... not impressive at spotting and shines in fights even big against big toonks

shikaka9 #23 Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:31 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 75080 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

View PostBrinklyWollox, on 28 December 2019 - 05:14 PM, said:

damn , do I need to turn replays on? my word is not enuff ? :teethhappy:

DangerMouse #24 Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 31017 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

They seem to work better at tier 9 and 10 than the tier 7 and 8, you do need a team that doesn't melt in 5 minutes but that's true for any light, as others have said you wont win a one on one but they are surprisingly good at dishing out consistent damage, after playing around with equipment choice I settled on accepting the trash DPM and went for Optics,V-Stab and Vent and have been reasonably successful in them.

I will say that they are far more challenging to play than say the T-100LT as you will need a decent crew, but is it worth it, yes I would say so.

DM

Strappster #25 Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:53 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29095 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postshikaka9, on 28 December 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

damn , do I need to turn replays on? my word is not enuff ? :teethhappy:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. ;)

Edit to add, I've picked up my Setter grind as a result of this thread - anything that shines a positive light on this line would help!

Edited by BrinklyWollox, 28 December 2019 - 06:58 PM.

Long_Range_Sniper #26 Posted 28 December 2019 - 07:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 39395 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

If you've not got the Senlac for some crew relief this grind is going to be painful.

It's not a grind that's going to raise your Wn8 either, so forget about doing lots of damage. If you want the grind to go quickly then get that assisted damage from spotting and configure your tanks accordingly.

Work on taking strategic locations earlier in the game and focus on spotting. Then as the game develops look for opportunities to snipe where your higher alpha and penetration will help, and where your reload isn't so much of a hindrance.

Also remember you can grind the LHMTV in Frontlines which saved me a lot of randoms frustration as it's nowhere near as good as the Senlac.

I started at the Setter and I've got 200k to go for the Manticore, which currently seems way too far to be bothered. 

DangerMouse #27 Posted 28 December 2019 - 07:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 31017 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 28 December 2019 - 06:04 PM, said:

If you've not got the Senlac for some crew relief this grind is going to be painful.

It's not a grind that's going to raise your Wn8 either, so forget about doing lots of damage. If you want the grind to go quickly then get that assisted damage from spotting and configure your tanks accordingly.

Work on taking strategic locations earlier in the game and focus on spotting. Then as the game develops look for opportunities to snipe where your higher alpha and penetration will help, and where your reload isn't so much of a hindrance.

Also remember you can grind the LHMTV in Frontlines which saved me a lot of randoms frustration as it's nowhere near as good as the Senlac.

I started at the Setter and I've got 200k to go for the Manticore, which currently seems way too far to be bothered. 

I think you will get there faster than you think, I found the GSOR to be very flexible, I reckon it will end up with better stats than most of your other tier 9 lights, not sure why but it seems to work.

flashbarts #28 Posted 28 December 2019 - 08:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 46605 battles
grind something else is the best advice :-)

Long_Range_Sniper #29 Posted 28 December 2019 - 08:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 39395 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostDangerMouse, on 28 December 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

I think you will get there faster than you think, I found the GSOR to be very flexible, I reckon it will end up with better stats than most of your other tier 9 lights, not sure why but it seems to work.

You might be right, as it's probably going to be played less by people than the 13 90 or T-54 lwt which are around 2600 Wn8 for me. I don't think it will be as much fun as the 13 90 though.

StronkiTonki #30 Posted 28 December 2019 - 08:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 35222 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

Never engage anything on close range at any time ever. Unless you are absolutely 100% sure that you will not be needing any DPM in that engagement.

I've had to learn the hard way that any close range engagement got me killed, purely because I literally had no DPM to defend myself with.

Also, if you see a flank is losing, try to see if there's an oppertunity to passive scout in a bush, so that your teammates can shoot the incoming enemies.

I used this strategy on Studzianki a couple of times, turning a loss into a nice win.

Other than that, the British lights absolutely one of the most depressing lines I've played through.

Thank god I could skip the final tank with all the fragments I got for Christmas.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #31 Posted 28 December 2019 - 09:00 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35959 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 28 December 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

To be honest I quite liked the GSOR.

Long_Range_Sniper #32 Posted 28 December 2019 - 09:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 39395 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 28 December 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

To be honest I quite liked the GSOR.

I must admit, it's a lot closer to the Senlac that the rest in the line so far. It's just that 250k grind looks depressing and I'm not going to use blueprint fragments for a tank that won't get played that often.

azakow #33 Posted 29 December 2019 - 01:17 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84925 battles

View PostCobra6, on 28 December 2019 - 06:00 PM, said:

View Postazakow, on 28 December 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

Are they Hard to play?

Yes.

Do they suck at 1vs1?

Yes.

Do they need good crews?

Yes.

Do they require "old school" LTing?

Yes. (Tones of bushes anywhere that will fit your small foot print. Good camo to get there also. Be relaxed on the trigger, do safe shoots only. Stay away from other LT.)

Should you play them for a challenge?

Yes.

Can you be successful with them?

Yes.

My GSOR is best of LT in my garage.

3k+ combined @178 matches.

Should you buy Manticore?

Not at all!

Come on man, if you need a 4 skill crew, improved equipment *AND* food on a tank to make it useable, it's terribly balanced! It should be competitive out of the box or with standard equipment (rammer / coated / vents / Vstab) mounted. If it's not, it's not competitive and badly balanced.

Cobra 6

My statements and tips about this vehicle are wrong and missleading?

My crew and module setup is wrong?

I've learned here that LTing requires good crews and good equipment.

For me a large portion of making things useable happens at the keyborad while in garage and on the field.

Strappster #34 Posted 29 December 2019 - 01:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29095 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postazakow, on 29 December 2019 - 12:17 PM, said:

For me a large portion of making things useable happens at the keyborad while in garage and on the field.

Irony lols ;)

FWIW, I've found your comments helpful. It's a lot like how I used to play French lights, though I have to remind myself that I don't have the option to dump a clip when things get sticky and discretion is better than thinking of new reasons for how I can blame the team for getting wrecked. :hiding:

My Setter grind is going ok, win rate is horrible but I've got it fully upgraded except for the radio and it's genuinely beginning to grow on me. Shame the turning speed is so bad, I still haven't settled on how to handbrake turn into bushes so I've got an easy escape route (French lights make that move easy) and fannying around trying to turn the thing before reversing in has got me shot more often than I'd like. It's not been bad enough to make me grind another line though, that's got to be a point in its favour.

niska #35 Posted 29 December 2019 - 01:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 33573 battles
  • [C0RPS] C0RPS
My advice its to give up from that line. very bad.

tank276 #36 Posted 29 December 2019 - 03:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 54606 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

I will just use blueprints and free xp to eventually get to the Manticore , just cause.

Must be a pretty underwhelming line in general from what I ve watched in youtube/twitch ,but not a complete waste since you can passively spot.

Strappster #37 Posted 29 December 2019 - 03:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29095 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Posttank276, on 29 December 2019 - 02:12 PM, said:

Must be a pretty underwhelming line in general from what I ve watched in youtube/twitch ,but not a complete waste since you can passively spot.

So far I've only found them underwhelming if you try to play them like the majority of copy/paste lights. azakow is right in saying you need a good crew, I'm using a BiA crew that have just hit 90% camo in my Setter and it's only now that I'm starting to reach the better sneaky bushes without being counter-spotted.

Map knowledge is key, along with knowing how enemy lights are likely to operate to minimise your chances of running into them. The former is most important, it's not just about knowing which bushes give the best sight lines, it's about planning escape routes and when you can risk a cheeky shot to secure a kill.

I'm finding it a refreshing challenge from the press-W-2-2-left-click gameplay common to many other lines (yes, I appreciate there's a lot more to playing well than that, it's an oversimplification for the sake of illustration). Certainly not an easy line to play or one that'll make my stats shine but it's fun and I don't really look for much more than that from a game.

DangerMouse #38 Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 31017 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

I generally agree with Cobra, but in this instance I think he is wrong, not sure he has actually played them and is rather going on the anecdotal evidence of CC/Streamers, who all did rather well in them from memory.

DM

Cobra6 #39 Posted 29 December 2019 - 09:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

No they are not wrong or misleading, it's just a long winded way of saying they are badly balanced tanks :D

Yes, light tanks need good crews and equipment, but they should function well (that is, be competitive against it's peers) with camouflage skill on the crew (and 6th sense) and standard equipment, if they aren't, they are not well balanced.

@DangerMouse: I'm grinding my way to them at the moment but I've been mostly AFK for close to a year. The premium medium seems rather ok but the tech tree ones are rather quite inferior to their peers.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 29 December 2019 - 09:15 PM.

LethalWalou #40 Posted 29 December 2019 - 11:50 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34208 battles
  • [OISPA] OISPA

View PostCobra6, on 29 December 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

No they are not wrong or misleading, it's just a long winded way of saying they are badly balanced tanks :D

Do ''badly balanced tanks'' generally perform as one of the best ones or The best in their class? Because that's what UK LTs are doing, not including WVs. When did people stop caring about statistics and just keep repeating their feels as facts?

Also tagged with British lights, grinding, weak

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users