Why did Wargaming change light tank matchmaking + added tier 9 and 10?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

killer999death #1 Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26758 battles
  • [JHS] JHS
It's been a long time and I forgot so I'll just ask. Why did wargaming add tier 9 and 10 light tanks?

And why did they ruin everything by allowing light tanks to be top tier, the +2 light tank matchmaking used to be just fine IMO. Now top tier light tanks in mid to low tier can be way too powerful if you ask me. Also 3 light tanks per team is a bit much, no?

Scanmen #2 Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:23 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 25979 battles
  • [WNB] WNB

View Postkiller999death, on 28 December 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

It's been a long time and I forgot so I'll just ask. Why did wargaming add tier 9 and 10 light tanks?

And why did they ruin everything by allowing light tanks to be top tier, the +2 light tank matchmaking used to be just fine IMO. Now top tier light tanks in mid to low tier can be way too powerful if you ask me. Also 3 light tanks per team is a bit much, no?

As long as we pay, they are not interested in the gaming experience, balance, etc.
Only one thing matters. To pay them.
Deal with it.

gunslingerXXX #3 Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:29 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 13576 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
For profit.

Ratriq #4 Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6419 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
While this thread might soon get closed by the mods I'm gonna leave my mark here while I can:

Completely agree on this, top-tier lights in a match makes many think less about actually scouting and instead try to carry the game cause in some tiers, a 2+ tier light tank is actually better hp and DPM vice against some many heavy tanks which is actually ridiculous. Heavy tanks and such should never have to face light tanks that are, faster than them, have a higher DPM than them, and lastly have more hp then them.
This literally only forces both scout players to do less scouting and more carrying with their superior tank stats against tanks -2 tiers than them. A light tank is a support tank, a scout tank, not a tank that is supposed to be able to outmatch its opponents and carry the game with the most dmg, it should not have more dmg done than spotting dmg.

Dramya #5 Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:50 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16317 battles
  • [_PZF_] _PZF_

View Postkiller999death, on 28 December 2019 - 02:15 PM, said:

It got changed because light tanks were not played very much. This was because as a light you were always bottom tier and most people didn't like it. Btw, in those days it meant you were a tier 6 light in a tier 10 game so the only thing you could do was spot.

apaleytos #6 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17104 battles

I also didnt like it when LT started being top tier.I think they did it for the following reasons:

1) Make them more attractive for the players.You dont have to scout these days,just play mario kart with other 5 LTs and wheelies in the middle or park it near the TDs (LOL) and wait for the jousting wars to end so you can actually play.

2)"Lighter" MM.Current MM has fewer HP than it had,so faster battles and less profit since you have to split less damage.I remember playing my SU-152 as one of the two t7s in an almost full tier 9 game.Even had a 6k dmg game.People used to drive HTs these days.I loved being the only LT as bottom tier,farming that fat spotting dmg.

The worst part of the abusive 3-5-7 is having to rely on top tier performance.One teams get a good platoon with defenders as top tiers,you get tiger 2s.They hide behind TDs and try to snipe while the defenders plow the whole team.Imagine a bad-average player in a bottom tier 6 tank trying to pull the weight of these top tier roleplayers while they can't even carry themselves.Add 4 LTs in every team dying in the first 2 min,thats a 4min turbogame for you.

Edited by apaleytos, 28 December 2019 - 02:19 PM.

killer999death #7 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26758 battles
  • [JHS] JHS

View PostRatriq, on 28 December 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

While this thread might soon get closed by the mods I'm gonna leave my mark here while I can:

Completely agree on this, top-tier lights in a match makes many think less about actually scouting and instead try to carry the game cause in some tiers, a 2+ tier light tank is actually better hp and DPM vice against some many heavy tanks which is actually ridiculous. Heavy tanks and such should never have to face light tanks that are, faster than them, have a higher DPM than them, and lastly have more hp then them.
This literally only forces both scout players to do less scouting and more carrying with their superior tank stats against tanks -2 tiers than them. A light tank is a support tank, a scout tank, not a tank that is supposed to be able to outmatch its opponents and carry the game with the most dmg, it should not have more dmg done than spotting dmg.

I think they dumbed down light tank play by allowing them to be top tier.

View PostDramya, on 28 December 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

It got changed because light tanks were not played very much. This was because as a light you were always bottom tier and most people didn't like it. Btw, in those days it meant you were a tier 6 light in a tier 10 game so the only thing you could do was spot.

You mean play the role the tank is meant for?

Now there are 2-4 light tanks per team, I'm playing lights to do missions and most of the time it's super hard to do any spotting because there are other lights on my team faster or with better view range than me not to mention possible a tier or two higher. Passive spotting is almost dead because some wheelie boy can drive by and get better spots than me in a bush with camo + binos for 460m range.

Then there is the top tier issue. When you have 440m+ view range as top tier and peasant -2 have 360-380m view range with no hopes of spotting you, catching you and oh lord when your light has almost same alpha as their heavy tanks. Combine that with 3-5-7 matchmaking and you have a disaster. 

NipplesTheClown #8 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8572 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
because heavy babies and med campers were whining about being outspotted so their remedy was to increase everyone's view range to almost equal a lt. And then to justify this move, the released high tier lts with the same stats. Really dumb  move.

BrinklyWollox #9 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28387 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostRatriq, on 28 December 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

Completely agree on this, top-tier lights in a match makes many think less about actually scouting and instead try to carry the game ...

I think it made absolutely zero difference. Many players have always played lights for damage because the WN8 calculation gave a bonus to damage caused in a light tank to compensate for assistance damage not being available from the API they used to extract post-battle data.

High tier light tanks and the associated changes to match-making were added to give people more content to grind - more content means more premium time and premium tank sales.

Dramya #10 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16317 battles
  • [_PZF_] _PZF_

View Postkiller999death, on 28 December 2019 - 03:17 PM, said:

You mean play the role the tank is meant for?

Then why give it a gun?

Ratriq #11 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6419 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBrinklyWollox, on 28 December 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

I think it made absolutely zero difference. Many players have always played lights for damage because the WN8 calculation gave a bonus to damage caused in a light tank to compensate for assistance damage not being available from the API they used to extract post-battle data.

High tier light tanks and the associated changes to match-making were added to give people more content to grind - more content means more premium time and premium tank sales.

Not saying many haven't before but now the WN8 has both raised for light tanks and now it's become a bigger priority to do more dmg then before if top tier.

24doom24 #12 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8897 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
Tier 10 mines with triple EBR platoons on both teams and 7 tds a side + 3 arta. 

MetaCube63 #13 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:35 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7283 battles
  • [LD-FR] LD-FR
First iteration of t10 lights was fine, but they decided to nerf them into the ground to not hurt HT players feelings.

Cobra6 #14 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postkiller999death, on 28 December 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

Ehhhh.....no.......no......no.......aaaaaaaand no.....

Does this answer your questions?

Light tanks, especially Tier 8 and upwards become less competitive tier for tier as they start being artificially handicapped by worse penetration, less viewrange and worse penetration drop-ff and accuracy.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 28 December 2019 - 02:55 PM.

baratoz1701 #15 Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25842 battles
  • [FA1LZ] FA1LZ
Id rather it was 3 lights per team, than the 6 a team i've seen once or twice in last few days

Tealo #16 Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:06 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 43825 battles
  • [RIFF] RIFF

The reason why it was changed is simple the original designers had left the company/moved on to other jobs and someone else new took over.      basically screwed it up to make it look like they were actually doing some thing and destroying the original concept and balance of the game.. 

this happens quite regularly in many companies especially ones that grow very quickly (being successful) and then basically fall on their [edited]proceeding to go down the toilet as the company (ethos of product and what produced it) loses what made them successful in the first place.

azakow #17 Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:21 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84661 battles

View Postkiller999death, on 28 December 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

Good thing the WASD-key are somewhat universal and glad that you did not ask. Please let us your RL name, in case you are asking tommorrow.

The MM of LT was +4, then +3, now +2.

BTW take that model tank and show us where the top tier LT touched you.

shikaka9 #18 Posted 28 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 73789 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
Heavies when they are top tier too powerfull ... TDs too.. Meds beyond too powerfull ... arty lol

Lycopersicon #19 Posted 28 December 2019 - 04:36 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 11021 battles
I guess the reason was essentially the same as why MS Office got its menus replaced with weird picture bars: someone was bored, looked for something to do, thought it would be cool to change that thing, managed to convince the powers that it would be cool, and now we are stuck with this completely unnecessary change that was done simply for the sake of changing something.

azakow #20 Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:08 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84661 battles

View PostLycopersicon, on 28 December 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

I guess the reason was essentially the same as why MS Office got its menus replaced with weird picture bars: someone was bored, looked for something to do, thought it would be cool to change that thing, managed to convince the powers that it would be cool, and now we are stuck with this completely unnecessary change that was done simply for the sake of changing something.

Since that changes you see more LT on the field.

Before 2x LT per team was a rare situation.

I assume LTing has become more attractive to the avrg. player.

Even my long time buddies (only into dmg dealing, laughting at me for LTing) are LTing now.

And they like alot since it is not such a drag anymore, like being buttom of the team list all the time or not being able to contribute but assisted dmg.

They also like the thrill and adrenaline rush when LTing.

In such manner the changes were not for the sake of changing at all.

As everything, the flipside is useless LT10 but Rasha.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users