Jump to content


Most Historical Tank


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Bulldog_Drummond #1 Posted 29 December 2019 - 01:49 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 34198 battles
  • 11,232
  • [DRATT] DRATT
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

I'd be interested in which tanks you think feel right from an historical perspective, even if they are not strictly speaking historical.

 

For me, it has to be the VK 3002 M, which plays and performs very similarly to what I know of the real life Panther.



1ucky #2 Posted 29 December 2019 - 03:11 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 89606 battles
  • 1,703
  • [THRIL] THRIL
  • Member since:
    11-05-2013

I think it depends on the player as well, they have to put the tank in situations that seem similar to historic battle scenes.

But anyway I think in general it's maybe camoed TDs ambushing stuff from relatively long range.

Say a hard camping Hetzer or Grille 15, for example.

The more you can oneshot stuff the more realistic it seems too, perhaps.



Bulldog_Drummond #3 Posted 29 December 2019 - 03:35 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 34198 battles
  • 11,232
  • [DRATT] DRATT
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

View Post1ucky, on 29 December 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

I think it depends on the player as well, they have to put the tank in situations that seem similar to historic battle scenes.

But anyway I think in general it's maybe camoed TDs ambushing stuff from relatively long range.

Say a hard camping Hetzer or Grille 15, for example.

The more you can oneshot stuff the more realistic it seems too, perhaps.

 

Yes, I had been deliberately ignoring one of the most ludicrous aspects of the game from an historical aspect.

The hit-points thing is laughable - in reality a single penetration would almost always do for any kill.  So a VK 3002 M pen should probably do 2000 damage

I don't mind HPs as they are integral to the game but that and other stuff (like reanimating dead crew or fixing tracks in 5 seconds) always amuses me when people start wittering on about whether or not some aspect they don't like (e.g. arty) is "historical"

 


Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 29 December 2019 - 03:36 PM.


Ratriq #4 Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:11 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 6419 battles
  • 606
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013
"Historical" and "Historical", I have been enjoying my E 75 recently, while not an actual historical tank, it's almost identical to a King Tiger. Let's be serious most "historical" tanks still don't have their historical turrets/guns etc so the E 75 is like a little more modified King Tiger. cough Panther cough

Anyway, as the german tank fanatic as I am I'll be straight, the E 75 makes you really feel like you are driving a King Tiger. You've got armour that is strong enough to make an average player like me manage to block 3k dmg without really trying too hard and brawl with enemies while not having too obvious/big weakspots. A gun that is powerful enough to scare a lot of enemies and that can also snipe from long range and the best of all, it's a t9 tank.
Which means you won't be facing tryhards a lot with 100% gold ammo cause they mostly exist at t10, which makes you armour even better and you won't ever have to get outmatched against tanks that are 2 tiers higher than you. This monster of a tank will also meet t7 tanks, which means that the E 75 alpha dmg can even 2-shot some low tier tanks that it'll meet.

The problem with the "historical" tigers such as the Japanese tiger, Tiger 131 and King Tiger C is, while they are a lot more balanced and makes your tank feel more dangerous than the tech tree cowardly sniper Tiger I & Tiger II, you will still meet tanks 2 tiers higher than you which will make your tank feel a lot less like those infamous tiger tanks you've heard from the war stories.
 

Edited by Ratriq, 29 December 2019 - 10:12 PM.


Bulldog_Drummond #5 Posted 29 December 2019 - 11:55 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 34198 battles
  • 11,232
  • [DRATT] DRATT
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

View PostRatriq, on 29 December 2019 - 09:11 PM, said:

"Historical" and "Historical", I have been enjoying my E 75 recently, while not an actual historical tank, it's almost identical to a King Tiger. Let's be serious most "historical" tanks still don't have their historical turrets/guns etc so the E 75 is like a little more modified King Tiger. cough Panther cough

Anyway, as the german tank fanatic as I am I'll be straight, the E 75 makes you really feel like you are driving a King Tiger. You've got armour that is strong enough to make an average player like me manage to block 3k dmg without really trying too hard and brawl with enemies while not having too obvious/big weakspots. A gun that is powerful enough to scare a lot of enemies and that can also snipe from long range and the best of all, it's a t9 tank.
Which means you won't be facing tryhards a lot with 100% gold ammo cause they mostly exist at t10, which makes you armour even better and you won't ever have to get outmatched against tanks that are 2 tiers higher than you. This monster of a tank will also meet t7 tanks, which means that the E 75 alpha dmg can even 2-shot some low tier tanks that it'll meet.

The problem with the "historical" tigers such as the Japanese tiger, Tiger 131 and King Tiger C is, while they are a lot more balanced and makes your tank feel more dangerous than the tech tree cowardly sniper Tiger I & Tiger II, you will still meet tanks 2 tiers higher than you which will make your tank feel a lot less like those infamous tiger tanks you've heard from the war stories.
 

 

A slightly better thought out attempt at "historical" matchmaking as an option would be interesting

The last effort didn't work because oddly enough everyone wanted to be a Tiger, not a T-34



Gardar7 #6 Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:04 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 24927 battles
  • 2,414
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

If you want historical tanks, then play War Thunder. WoT is a fun game with clementine tank camos, no reason to look for realism. This is why I play it more than War Thunder, less serious, health bars, easier to play. A real arcade experience.

But if you are looking for the most realistic tank, then look no further than T28 prototype ;)


Edited by Gardar7, 30 December 2019 - 12:12 AM.


Bulldog_Drummond #7 Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:18 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 34198 battles
  • 11,232
  • [DRATT] DRATT
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

View PostGardar7, on 29 December 2019 - 11:04 PM, said:

If you want historical tanks, then play War Thunder. WoT is a fun game with clementine tank camos, no reason to look for realism. This is why I play it more than War Thunder, less serious, health bars, easier to play. A real arcade experience.

But if you are looking for the most realistic tank, then look no further than T28 prototype ;)

 

Interesting, why the T28 proto?



Ratriq #8 Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:18 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 6419 battles
  • 606
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013

View PostGardar7, on 29 December 2019 - 11:04 PM, said:

If you want historical tanks, then play War Thunder. WoT is a fun game with clementine tank camos, no reason to look for realism. This is why I play it more than War Thunder, less serious, health bars, easier to play. A real arcade experience.

But if you are looking for the most realistic tank, then look no further than T28 prototype ;)

I mean having historical like tanks and historical like gameplay features are one completely different things though. I mean how fun is it to know that even the tanks that are "historical" like the Panther don't even have the Panther turret as it should if you want it fully upgraded.



Negativvv #9 Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:28 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 14884 battles
  • 2,227
  • [KEKE] KEKE
  • Member since:
    08-08-2015

View PostRatriq, on 29 December 2019 - 10:11 PM, said:

"Historical" and "Historical", I have been enjoying my E 75 recently, while not an actual historical tank, it's almost identical to a King Tiger. Let's be serious most "historical" tanks still don't have their historical turrets/guns etc so the E 75 is like a little more modified King Tiger. cough Panther cough

Anyway, as the german tank fanatic as I am I'll be straight, the E 75 makes you really feel like you are driving a King Tiger. You've got armour that is strong enough to make an average player like me manage to block 3k dmg without really trying too hard and brawl with enemies while not having too obvious/big weakspots. A gun that is powerful enough to scare a lot of enemies and that can also snipe from long range and the best of all, it's a t9 tank.
Which means you won't be facing tryhards a lot with 100% gold ammo cause they mostly exist at t10, which makes you armour even better and you won't ever have to get outmatched against tanks that are 2 tiers higher than you. This monster of a tank will also meet t7 tanks, which means that the E 75 alpha dmg can even 2-shot some low tier tanks that it'll meet.

The problem with the "historical" tigers such as the Japanese tiger, Tiger 131 and King Tiger C is, while they are a lot more balanced and makes your tank feel more dangerous than the tech tree cowardly sniper Tiger I & Tiger II, you will still meet tanks 2 tiers higher than you which will make your tank feel a lot less like those infamous tiger tanks you've heard from the war stories.
 

 

Yes...

 

I see the E50 and E75 as a Panther and Tiger 2. They are actually decent unlike their actual namesakes in game although I have 3 marked the Panther I and seem to have developed a Panther fetish. I even own the 8.8 and will try to 3 mark it at some point :ohmy:



Ratriq #10 Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:42 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 6419 battles
  • 606
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013

View PostNegativvv, on 29 December 2019 - 11:28 PM, said:

 

Yes...

 

I see the E50 and E75 as a Panther and Tiger 2. They are actually decent unlike their actual namesakes in game although I have 3 marked the Panther I and seem to have developed a Panther fetish. I even own the 8.8 and will try to 3 mark it at some point :ohmy:

Good luck on your Panther journey, I've got my own Tiger fetish cause I'm trying to collect all of them and such, currently got Tiger 131, Japanese Tiger, Tiger I, Tiger II, Tiger I Porche, Tiger II Porche (VK 45.03), King Tiger C and now finally the E 75, which is practically a late modified King Tiger.
The only tiger I've found now that I don't have is some ace tankers tiger called Tiger 217 which I've never seen in store as of yet.



Negativvv #11 Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:45 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 14884 battles
  • 2,227
  • [KEKE] KEKE
  • Member since:
    08-08-2015

View PostRatriq, on 30 December 2019 - 12:42 AM, said:

Good luck on your Panther journey, I've got my own Tiger fetish cause I'm trying to collect all of them and such, currently got Tiger 131, Japanese Tiger, Tiger I, Tiger II, Tiger I Porche, Tiger II Porche (VK 45.03), King Tiger C and now finally the E 75, which is practically a late modified King Tiger.
The only tiger I've found now that I don't have is some ace tankers tiger called Tiger 217 which I've never seen in store as of yet.

I quite like the Tigers too, it's just HTs aren't "really" my thing.

 

I still own the VK 45.03, Tiger 131, E75, and a Tiger I on 2 MoE... 



Ratriq #12 Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:51 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 6419 battles
  • 606
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013

View PostNegativvv, on 30 December 2019 - 12:45 AM, said:

I quite like the Tigers too, it's just HTs aren't "really" my thing.

 

I still own the VK 45.03, Tiger 131, E75, and a Tiger I on 2 MoE... 

Quite ironic, it's the opposite for me, MT isn't my thing either. My logic is, why have a small tank, with thin armor and a tiny gun when you can have a bigger tank, with thicker armor and a big ol' sexy gun only at the expense for some mobility.

But you know what they say, whatever floats your boat, in this sense, whatever tank works best for you.:great:



PipariIkkunaPesuvati #13 Posted 30 December 2019 - 06:33 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 14072 battles
  • 489
  • Member since:
    08-05-2012
Hummel

HassenderZerhacker #14 Posted 30 December 2019 - 06:44 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 32087 battles
  • 3,480
  • [1DPG] 1DPG
  • Member since:
    09-09-2015

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 29 December 2019 - 11:55 PM, said:

 

A slightly better thought out attempt at "historical" matchmaking as an option would be interesting

The last effort didn't work because oddly enough everyone wanted to be a Tiger, not a T-34

 

historical would be to make matches of 4 Tiger I against 24 T-34 and/or T-28 with the odd KV-1 on 5 Km maps with 5Km visibility and historical gun penetration values and accuracy, as well as some more realistic conditions, i.e. your crew can't be healed and dead crewmembers don't come back, so people would think twice beforethrowing their tank into the face of the enemy.

 

but in WoT, Tiger I is matched against T-54 or ST-I, T95, Obj 257, Type 4 heavy, Tortoise and T95 ... hahaha


Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 30 December 2019 - 06:46 AM.


Unicorn_of_Steel #15 Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:17 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16855 battles
  • 476
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A
  • Member since:
    12-29-2017

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 29 December 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

I'd be interested in which tanks you think feel right from an historical perspective, even if they are not strictly speaking historical.

 

For me, it has to be the VK 3002 M, which plays and performs very similarly to what I know of the real life Panther.

 

I think you will have to look in the lower tiers for that. Apart from the VK30.02M stuff like the StuG III B, Pz. III J, Pz. IV H, Hetzer, Sherman, T 34, KV1, Tiger 131 and so on are quite historical and balanced against each other. As long as you don't  use the non historical derp guns ofcourse and stay away from tanks that have a non historical gun as top gun (like StuG III G).

 

Problem is that e.g. the Pz. III J is so well balanced that it cannot compete with the tanks it meets when being bottom tier. Just like the real situation in 1942 but gamewise quite a challenge to keep that one working.


Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, 30 December 2019 - 10:18 AM.


Gardar7 #16 Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:32 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 24927 battles
  • 2,414
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 29 December 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

 

Interesting, why the T28 proto?

 

Because WG admitted that they made up the T28 proto. It has never existed, not even as a study or on blueprints. :teethhappy:

But as I said, if you want historical match-ups and historically correct models, battles, simulator experience, then War Thunder is your game. We are here for arcade pow-pow with tank skins.


Edited by Gardar7, 30 December 2019 - 10:39 AM.


krazypenguin #17 Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:43 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 27948 battles
  • 2,822
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-15-2011

View PostUnicorn_of_Steel, on 30 December 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

 

I think you will have to look in the lower tiers for that. Apart from the VK30.02M stuff like the StuG III B, Pz. III J, Pz. IV H, Hetzer, Sherman, T 34, KV1, Tiger 131 and so on are quite historical and balanced against each other. As long as you don't  use the non historical derp guns ofcourse and stay away from tanks that have a non historical gun as top gun (like StuG III G).

 

Problem is that e.g. the Pz. III J is so well balanced that it cannot compete with the tanks it meets when being bottom tier. Just like the real situation in 1942 but gamewise quite a challenge to keep that one working.

 

+1 Pretty much exactly what I was going to say :)



Unicorn_of_Steel #18 Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:17 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16855 battles
  • 476
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A
  • Member since:
    12-29-2017

View Postkrazypenguin, on 30 December 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

 

+1 Pretty much exactly what I was going to say :)

 

Saved you some typing ;)



Ceeb #19 Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:22 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Beta Tester
  • 34199 battles
  • 6,513
  • [BEXF] BEXF
  • Member since:
    01-14-2011

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 29 December 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

I'd be interested in which tanks you think feel right from an historical perspective, even if they are not strictly speaking historical.

 

For me, it has to be the VK 3002 M, which plays and performs very similarly to what I know of the real life Panther.

 

The VK 3002M is really what the Panther should be.

 

But for me, I'd have to say the Fireflys are the most Historical.  However had to say, never driven a Firefly.



Unicorn_of_Steel #20 Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:26 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16855 battles
  • 476
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A
  • Member since:
    12-29-2017

View PostRatriq, on 29 December 2019 - 10:11 PM, said:


The problem with the "historical" tigers such as the Japanese tiger, Tiger 131 and King Tiger C is, while they are a lot more balanced and makes your tank feel more dangerous than the tech tree cowardly sniper Tiger I & Tiger II, you will still meet tanks 2 tiers higher than you which will make your tank feel a lot less like those infamous tiger tanks you've heard from the war stories.
 

 

I really, really, really tried to like my Tiger 131 but that one feels so UP to me. Having a lot more fun in Tiger 1 and even in Tiger 2 (sold that one though).






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users