Ping plotter help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

evilchaosmonkey #1 Posted 30 December 2019 - 08:11 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18492 battles
  • [EIGHT] EIGHT

Been suffering from frequent short duration lag spikes whilst playing over the last couple of days. Ping is around 25ms then leaps to 100-999 for a second or so.

Vanilla set up, so no mods.

Of course, when I ran ping plotter it was less noticeable (such is my life).

Anyway, plot attached - are there any issues which I can fix myself (as in moan to my ISP)?

Edited by evilchaosmonkey, 30 December 2019 - 08:12 PM.

RK_8_8_Kubica #2 Posted 06 January 2020 - 03:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 41535 battles
  • [AW-LE] AW-LE

View Postevilchaosmonkey, on 30 December 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

Anyway, plot attached - are there any issues which I can fix myself (as in moan to my ISP)?

BT?

VoodooMNE #3 Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:39 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 35797 battles
  • [K4E] K4E
All players (that I asked from clan 10+)  from Croatia and Montenegro that are on T-Com as provider have connection drooping last 30 days. Something is changed and its not good for us :(  I tested servers Luxembourg and Amsterdam and we have just line cut to servers for shot time ... Strange is that other websites are working fine in that moment so its not that we lost all internet just line to WG servers ...

Homer_J #4 Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:52 PM

Field Marshal

• 33400 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postevilchaosmonkey, on 30 December 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

Been suffering from frequent short duration lag spikes whilst playing over the last couple of days. Ping is around 25ms then leaps to 100-999 for a second or so.

Vanilla set up, so no mods.

Of course, when I ran ping plotter it was less noticeable (such is my life).

Your ping spikes start at your Home Hub.

Are you using wifi?  And which model hub is it, and do you have the WiFi disks (the whole home coverage jobbies)?

vonTreppenwitz #5 Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:49 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5838 battles
  • [SHAUN] SHAUN

You need to find out on hwich step the red lines with packet loss occurs. This does break any encryption/decryption step happening on your traffic. This is usually layered. Means you ICP encrypts / decrypts, your browser enyrypts / decrypts and eventually WG does encrypt / decrypt. So minor package loss triggers a cascade of resend requests.

Typically Windows Update needs to be configured not to take high bandwidth,

Same goes for all other process.

Usually it's more effective to look for changed processes by new software than poke into Pings at highest level, Windows ressource monitor gives you a better picture using onboard software.

Pingplotter only helps you to target your ISP to improve the hardware in one of their racks. An option you don't really have on a consumer rather than a business contract. Unless your line is grossly underperforming it's contract.

Edited by vonTreppenwitz, 13 January 2020 - 05:53 PM.

Homer_J #6 Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:16 PM

Field Marshal

• 33400 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostvonTreppenwitz, on 13 January 2020 - 04:49 PM, said:

You need to find out on hwich step the red lines with packet loss occurs.

If he was looking for packet loss then that would be true.

View Postevilchaosmonkey, on 30 December 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

Ping is around 25ms then leaps to 100-999 for a second or so.

So you need to look at the nodes with big ping spikes (long black lines), and those start at OP's router (or as BT call it Home Hub).

I suspect this is BT's world beating WiFI at work.

17:19 Added after 2 minute

This is usually layered. Means you ICP encrypts / decrypts, your browser enyrypts / decrypts and eventually WG does encrypt / decrypt. So minor package loss triggers a cascade of resend requests.

And this is basically rubbish as we are talking about UDP which doesn't request dropped packets to be resent.  It just forgets about it and moves on as it will be too late by the time another packet is sent.

17:22 Added after 5 minute

Pingplotter only helps you to target your ISP to improve the hardware in one of their racks. An option you don't really have on a consumer rather than a business contract. Unless your line is grossly underperforming it's contract.

In this case we can clearly see up to 300ms round trips to the end user's router.  No point going further than that at the moment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users