WGCheck Network Diagnostic: - decix-fr5.gcore.lu huge packet loss

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Kissa_ei_kuulu_pakkaseen #1 Posted 01 January 2020 - 02:40 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9653 battles
  • [OISPA] OISPA

Have had terrbile lag spikes over the last 2 days. Ran the new WG diagnostic tools and here's the result:

Is this WG side problem or some else as it indicates everything should be normal both in my end and on WG's end, does WG has something to do with: decix-fr5.gcore.lu?

Cobra6 #2 Posted 01 January 2020 - 05:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Since it's in the middle I'd hazard it's not WG.

It could be your ISP as there is a similar situation going on with one ISP in the Netherlands, they recently decided that instead of running their traffic via the faster (and closer) AMS-IX hub they'd run it through some hub in the far end of Germany so they can double dip consumers and content providers. This means that internet traffic from Dutch players of that provider, going to EU1 in Amsterdam, is now being rerouted via Germany with increased latency and other problems.

Usually with these ping plotter tests, the first two hoops are your house + router, everything in the middle is not WG and at the end is WG.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 01 January 2020 - 05:28 PM.

Homer_J #3 Posted 01 January 2020 - 05:48 PM

Field Marshal

• 33147 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostKissa_ei_kuulu_pakkaseen, on 01 January 2020 - 01:40 PM, said:

Have had terrbile lag spikes over the last 2 days. Ran the new WG diagnostic tools and here's the result:

Is this WG side problem or some else as it indicates everything should be normal both in my end and on WG's end, does WG has something to do with: decix-fr5.gcore.lu?

Since the packet loss doesn't carry on to the destination it is likely not to be an issue.

What I would worry about is that the ping spikes start at your own router.  An average of 85 to something a few feet away is not good.

And there's the 2.3% packet loss to your router.  Are you using WiFi?

Edited by Homer_J, 01 January 2020 - 05:50 PM.

misterslate #4 Posted 01 January 2020 - 06:14 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12727 battles
Where can we find this marvellous new program?

Kissa_ei_kuulu_pakkaseen #5 Posted 01 January 2020 - 06:42 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9653 battles
  • [OISPA] OISPA

https://eu.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wot/article/10248/

Cobra6 #6 Posted 01 January 2020 - 06:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostHomer_J, on 01 January 2020 - 04:48 PM, said:

Since the packet loss doesn't carry on to the destination it is likely not to be an issue.

What I would worry about is that the ping spikes start at your own router.  An average of 85 to something a few feet away is not good.

And there's the 2.3% packet loss to your router.  Are you using WiFi?

Probably using the standard router he got from his ISP, those are always garbage for gaming.

If there is one tip I can give is to spend 150EUR/GBP to buy a proper wifi router that will last the rest of your life. That is the only way you will be gaming in a stable manner without a cable.

Cobra 6

Homer_J #7 Posted 01 January 2020 - 06:50 PM

Field Marshal

• 33147 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCobra6, on 01 January 2020 - 05:43 PM, said:

Probably using the standard router he got from his ISP, those are always garbage for gaming.

Even a bog standard ISP supplied router shouldn't be getting ping spikes of up to 285ms.

Gkirmathal #8 Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8602 battles
  • [2VTD] 2VTD

View PostCobra6, on 01 January 2020 - 04:28 PM, said:

Since it's in the middle I'd hazard it's not WG.

Gcore is a WG owned hosting provider, so it could be on their end.

Cobra6 #9 Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostHomer_J, on 01 January 2020 - 05:50 PM, said:

Even a bog standard ISP supplied router shouldn't be getting ping spikes of up to 285ms.

Then I suggest talking to BT because their wifi router that I had when I was in London had terrible packet loss and ping spikes, so bad I literally could not play WoT.

Virgin was also very flaky when I was in Lincoln but there at least I could use a cable to get rid of the issue.

Remember, you ISP's will always give you the cheapest possible hardware they can reasonably get away with for *MOST* users, and since the majority of internet users browse some websites and stream video, something that maintains a good ping is not really that high on the priority list.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 01 January 2020 - 07:51 PM.

rakamaka #10 Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 23154 battles

View PostCobra6, on 01 January 2020 - 06:51 PM, said:

Then I suggest talking to BT because their wifi router that I had when I was in London had terrible packet loss and ping spikes, so bad I literally could not play WoT.

Virgin was also very flaky when I was in Lincoln but there at least I could use a cable to get rid of the issue.

Remember, you ISP's will always give you the cheapest possible hardware they can reasonably get away with for *MOST* users, and since the majority of internet users browse some websites and stream video, something that maintains a good ping is not really that high on the priority list.

Cobra 6

I have never had any ping issues, but over the last 2-3 days, it has been horrible. I have a default crap router, but i seriously doubt, that it broke down just for wot 3 days ago:) Everything else is working as usual with no problems.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #11 Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:02 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35288 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View Postrakamaka, on 01 January 2020 - 08:56 PM, said:

I have never had any ping issues, but over the last 2-3 days, it has been horrible. I have a default crap router, but i seriously doubt, that it broke down just for wot 3 days ago:) Everything else is working as usual with no problems.

Thing is you wouldn't notice if you had bad connection to a website or watching a YouTube video because it would be hidden by buffering. It's only when you're doing something timing sensitive, like gaming, you start to feel it. 

rakamaka #12 Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:26 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 23154 battles

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 01 January 2020 - 08:02 PM, said:

Thing is you wouldn't notice if you had bad connection to a website or watching a YouTube video because it would be hidden by buffering. It's only when you're doing something timing sensitive, like gaming, you start to feel it. 

I actually would feel it, if the problem would be there. I do stress my network much more, that WOT or any other game ever could and on real time, if there was a problem, my stereo picture would mess up rather bad and one strip of 50km long areal photo is, well, pretty big, to put it laymans terms, as you did with your youtube example:) But yes, there has been an issue with wot for the last 2-3 days for me and as i can see, there are others as well.

unhappy_bunny #13 Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:28 PM

Colonel

• 20502 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostGkirmathal, on 01 January 2020 - 06:16 PM, said:

Gcore is a WG owned hosting provider, so it could be on their end.

I'm not sure they are owned by WG, although they are WG's hosting provider and their CEO is a former MD of one of WG's companies.

Not that it matters greatly as Gcore use Telia network to connect Gcore's data centres. Telia provides much of the physical internet in Europe and have often suffered outages that cause widespread disruption. 

Gcore also list WG as a customer and WG list Gcore as a partner. 

Gcore have a status page that can be consulted if there are problems. How good it is I cannot say, but it does list 2 incidents on 30/12/2019.

https://status.gcorelabs.com/#cdn

Telia's network map shows just how much of a problem a link or hub going down could be. 

https://www.teliacarrier.com/dam/jcr:66fd509c-9da0-46ae-8f06-7f6df57a6b20/networkmap_EMEA_Network_Map.pdf

Balc0ra #14 Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74932 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostKissa_ei_kuulu_pakkaseen, on 01 January 2020 - 02:40 PM, said:

Nothing WG can do about it. As WG doesn't own every IP on that list. It shows the path your data takes towards WG. WG owns the last two points on the list. Everything else is outside their control, as it's how ISP's direct your traffic from your to WG.

Now... If you search for decix-fr5.gcore.lu, you get several hits on even this forum. So you are not the first to have issues with it. I can't play on EU2 a few days a year. As once every 7 weeks or so. I get a sever between me and WG that does the same. Spikes and makes the game unplayable for me for a bit.

Only thing you can do is first check your local network, and ask yourself why you get 85 ping to something that is right next to you vs miles away.

unhappy_bunny #15 Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:52 PM

Colonel

• 20502 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

Its not just WoT having problems for some players.

this site lists many games and services that have had similar problems reported. 

//https:downdetector.com/archive/

Or try this one

http://livemap.pingdom.com

Edited by unhappy_bunny, 01 January 2020 - 11:55 PM.

Kissa_ei_kuulu_pakkaseen #16 Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:33 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9653 battles
  • [OISPA] OISPA

I doubt the issue is with the router as the problems started on this holiday and only facing issues with WoT not with any another games and if Telia have had some issues.

Anyway thanks for the answers, hoping this will be fixed before CW campaign...

xtrem3x #17 Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36115 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

View PostCobra6, on 01 January 2020 - 06:51 PM, said:

Cobra 6

I used BT and now us Now Broadband (Sky).

Never had issues with their bundled routers... My ping is 23 when connected to EU2 and 35 to EU1

Bundled routers just miss out on a lot of the advanced features other routes have. I used to always buy a 3rd party router because supplied ones used to be terrible, but nowadays there's not a lot in it

pecopad #18 Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:35 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30221 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostBalc0ra, on 01 January 2020 - 10:37 PM, said:

Nothing WG can do about it. As WG doesn't own every IP on that list. It shows the path your data takes towards WG. WG owns the last two points on the list. Everything else is outside their control, as it's how ISP's direct your traffic from your to WG.

Now... If you search for decix-fr5.gcore.lu, you get several hits on even this forum. So you are not the first to have issues with it. I can't play on EU2 a few days a year. As once every 7 weeks or so. I get a sever between me and WG that does the same. Spikes and makes the game unplayable for me for a bit.

Only thing you can do is first check your local network, and ask yourself why you get 85 ping to something that is right next to you vs miles away.

This is incorrect. Lets start... If it were an ISP problem,lag wouldn't be spiking,his connection would be lagging, not spiking.

Second, this lagging connection could be due to the OP network, the OP ISP network, other ISP's,  WG ISP network or WG network.

If it was a problem with the OP ISP network or WG ISP network or any other ISP network, you would have thousands of call to the ISP with network problems... which is something all ISP's avoid since it can lead to massive losses.

If it were a congestion problem in an ISP handling traffic to other ISP, the chance it hits twice on your specific WOT traffic being routed through their network its amazingly high.. so you would experience probably one lost package, that you wouldn't even notice.

The report the OP posted, like ping plotters and other stuff people use, are completely useless, since it only shows the route taken... if you don't know the fastest route and what happened, you cannot reach any conclusion. Imagine you take a trip and a road is closed and you have to take a detour.. by looking at your trip GPS data you can't tell anything..

The idea of congestion and problems in a ISP network is something very very old... not that it can't happen, but all ISP have many people looking at network performance and trying to avoid it. Also the ISP network problems hardly happen in regular playing hours... Networks congestion does not happen with domestic use.

Connection is expensive. Most of the times, if not all the times, lag spiking is a sign of congestion on the server side. Happens in all games.

11:36 Added after 1 minute

View Postxtrem3x, on 02 January 2020 - 12:16 PM, said:

I used BT and now us Now Broadband (Sky).

Never had issues with their bundled routers... My ping is 23 when connected to EU2 and 35 to EU1

Bundled routers just miss out on a lot of the advanced features other routes have. I used to always buy a 3rd party router because supplied ones used to be terrible, but nowadays there's not a lot in it

You don't have lag spikes in a specific app when you have problems in your own network.

Edited by pecopad, 02 January 2020 - 12:45 PM.

Homer_J #19 Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:17 PM

Field Marshal

• 33147 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postrakamaka, on 01 January 2020 - 07:56 PM, said:

Or you are using WiFi and someone nearby got some new equipment which is giving you interference.

View PostKissa_ei_kuulu_pakkaseen, on 02 January 2020 - 07:33 AM, said:

I doubt the issue is with the router as the problems started on this holiday and only facing issues with WoT not with any another games and if Telia have had some issues.

Anyway thanks for the answers, hoping this will be fixed before CW campaign...

You have a massive ping and packet loss to your own router,  Ignore the hop with 66% packet loss, it is irrelevant.  Sort out the connection to your router and your problems will go away.  It could be as simple as switching it off and on again.

View Postpecopad, on 02 January 2020 - 11:35 AM, said:

This is incorrect. Lets start... If it were an ISP problem,lag wouldn't be spiking,his connection would be lagging, not spiking.

Second, this lagging connection could be due to the OP network, the OP ISP network, other ISP's,  WG ISP network or WG network.

If it was a problem with the OP ISP network or WG ISP network or any other ISP network, you would have thousands of call to the ISP with network problems... which is something all ISP's avoid since it can lead to massive losses.

I see you are spouting your usual rubbish.  ISPs don't care about their network quality because most of their customers don't have a clue and immediately blame the other end, like OP is doing.

rakamaka #20 Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:42 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 23154 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 02 January 2020 - 12:17 PM, said:

Or you are using WiFi and someone nearby got some new equipment which is giving you interference.

I am not using wifi, cable from the wifi capable router. What someone nearby has gotten or not, i have no clue:) I am not saying, that the problem lies within WG, but i have only had problems with playing WOT/WG. Then again, i am not stressing network as hard as far away also. I do stress it a lot, but that stress stays within my country of origin. I have not done any hardcore analyze, since the problem is rather new to me and i am kinda hoping, it will solve itself now, that the holidays are over, but we'll see. I only have time to play like an hour late in the evening and to waist that on researching the problem, kinda feels pointless as it might just go away, hopefully:) If not, then of course, i might have to start digging into it bit more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users