Improvement Suggestion - “I’m covering you” key for teamwork

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

LittleOldLady #1 Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:26 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11225 battles

Hi,

I’m a casual WoT player but I have been playing for many years. I play random battles, I’m not in a clan, I don’t often platoon and I tend to play late at night when my few WoT-playing friends are asleep. As a consequence, my favourite games are those where teamwork randomly breaks out and the usual self-interested play is set aside to work together and win a game from a situation that would otherwise have been impossible to save. It’s these occasional, magical moments of spontaneous teamwork that keep me coming back to play again and I’d like to see more of this.

I don’t know if it’s been suggested before because I don’t read the forums unless I’m looking for an answer to some technical question or feature I don’t understand, but I had a bit of a search and I don’t see this idea mentioned.

In a similar way to how team fire can be requested on a particular enemy tank, I’d like to be able to place my reticle on a friendly (team mate’s) tank and press one key on the keyboard to send a message directly to them  that says “LittleOldLady is covering you”. This will give them more confidence in pushing on enemies or objectives in the knowledge that they’re not relying on their own gun only. It’s likely to mean that underpowered or damaged, or even tanks without ammo, have a role to play by baiting the enemy into ambushes 

I realise this could be abused by some players to trick others into bad situations but lots of features in WoT can be used to troll teammates and we all just learn to ignore it. However, in a tense, tight game when the teamwork magic has broken out, it would be a big help, particularly in the endgame where concentration is critical and there’s no time to type messages.

I think it’s also likely to help these special games come along a bit more often.

LittleOldLady. 

Edited by LittleOldLady, 02 January 2020 - 11:29 PM.

kaneloon #2 Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:42 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31555 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0

Lol ...  “LittleOldLady is covering you”. This will give them more confidence in pushing ...

But yeah something like that would be nice, as I usually don't find useful the commands they gave, apart from "affirmative" and "negative" I would like something like "lets go together" or your "I will support".

BrinklyWollox #3 Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28387 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
IMO the best quick comms message they could add is "thank you". We've already got "attack" and "fall back", those can be pretty obvious in the context of battle actions but we've no way of thanking anyone except by hitting "affirmative" or taking the time to type it out.

Homer_J #4 Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:06 PM

Field Marshal

• 33143 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I would generally use "fall back" in such a situation to mean if you pull back then I can help.

But the in game comms needs a rework more than the crews do.

TheDrownedApe #5 Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 50816 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
I think i would be even wary of my toon mates if they say they are covering me

BrinklyWollox #6 Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28387 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 02 January 2020 - 01:46 PM, said:

I think i would be even wary of my toon mates if they say they are covering me

Fair point. Maybe "you pull forward and get shot so that I can shoot him while he's reloading" would be a more accurate message.

LittleOldLady #7 Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:15 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11225 battles

That point about not trusting your team mates is definitely valid but that’s how things are in random games already. However, if you were a glass LT or a wounded Med in a good position in the end game and we’re considering either to go for a possible win, or just to try and farm some individual damage before you’re spotted and killed  and you receive 3 x messages saying “this player is covering you”, you’ve potentially just become the most powerful tank on the map and your gameplay choices will change.

this kinda happens already if you’ve ever played with good arty backup and they paint the ground ahead to show you where they’re pre-aimed. It encourages you to spot for them or push because you know you have fire support. Why should this dynamic be only for arty?

BrinklyWollox #8 Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28387 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostLittleOldLady, on 02 January 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

That point about not trusting your team mates is definitely valid but that’s how things are in random games already. However, if you were a glass LT or a wounded Med in a good position in the end game and we’re considering either to go for a possible win, or just to try and farm some individual damage before you’re spotted and killed  and you receive 3 x messages saying “this player is covering you”, you’ve potentially just become the most powerful tank on the map and your gameplay choices will change.

this kinda happens already if you’ve ever played with good arty backup and they paint the ground ahead to show you where they’re pre-aimed. It encourages you to spot for them or push because you know you have fire support. Why should this dynamic be only for arty?

But arty players are unselfish and team-oriented because they're playing a strictly support class. Regular tank players are only interested in padding their personal WN8 and will be more likely to say they're covering you as an alternative to typing, "noob light, go spot", throwing you into the middle of an enemy crossfire so they can spam one more shot into the dirt as they try to farm damage "for my gun marks, bro".

LittleOldLady #9 Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11225 battles
You can see how two random players could work together to clear a flank by taking turns to cover each other while the other moves. These are very basic combat tactics, nothing new, but they’re impossible to coordinate for random players. Only platoon mates on TeamSpeak and suchlike can do this because proper real-time comms in WoT will always be a technical & social minefield
14:25 Added after 1 minute

View PostBrinklyWollox, on 02 January 2020 - 02:19 PM, said:

But arty players are unselfish and team-oriented because they're playing a strictly support class. Regular tank players are only interested in padding their personal WN8 and will be more likely to say they're covering you as an alternative to typing, "noob light, go spot", throwing you into the middle of an enemy crossfire so they can spam one more shot into the dirt as they try to farm damage "for my gun marks, bro".

14:32 Added after 7 minute
Yes Mr Wollox, that will certainly happen, but in most situations we’ll just ignore it - as we do when players are pinging the map all over the place or shouting “attack” and “defend the base” at the same time.

It all changes though when you find yourself in one of those games when the randoms suddenly start working together. In those situations you really miss fast comms to let others know what you’re doing and you can see from their actions that people are paying attention to what you’re doing. It’s always going to be about trust but it’s those games that stop WoT getting old. I’d like to see more of this.

Edited by LittleOldLady, 02 January 2020 - 11:30 PM.

BrinklyWollox #10 Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28387 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostLittleOldLady, on 02 January 2020 - 02:24 PM, said:

You can see how two random players could work together to clear a flank by taking turns to cover each other while the other moves.

It's very rare but it's happened to me before. If you get a good team mate, you can coordinate without needing to send messages repeatedly. I'm not against adding your message, however negative my feedback may sound, I'm trying to point out the potential for misuse.

Warships has a more comprehensive comms wheel than Tanks and that doesn't include a "covering you" option. There's "requesting support" which I suspect might be more useful because if someone says they're covering you, you're going to wonder why they're not moving up themselves. It also has "thank you" and "good game", which would be nice to have in Tanks.

14:37 Added after 2 minute

View PostLittleOldLady, on 02 January 2020 - 02:24 PM, said:

It’s always going to be about trust but it’s those games that stop WoT getting old. I’d like to see more of this.

I think we'd all like to see more trust but when there are XVM-aholics padding their numbers while others are trying to complete missions and more others are focusing on damage for their third gun mark, it's going to be difficult to know who's trustworthy and who merely wants to use you for their own goals. Much easier to judge based on a player's actions in the battle up to the current point than hope you can trust them when they say they're covering you.

LittleOldLady #11 Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11225 battles
It can be really frustrating if you’re a HT Hull-down in a good position or you’re a well-hidden TD with a good ambush kill zone set and the bloody LTs are camping behind you or doing doughnuts and jumps in an empty area. By pressing a single key, a number of players can let them know directly that if they take the risk to sneak forward and spot then fire support is ready. I think this is much more valuable and powerful than a general message to the team that says “I’m loaded”.

TungstenHitman #12 Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:47 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 31752 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

So long as it also includes the players win rate at the end so that the player who is "being covered" can see if it's by a player that actually WILL cover them and has the ability or lack there of.

Stevies_Team #13 Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15765 battles
If a team mate is struggling/pinned I will quite often shoot them in the back of the turret so they at least know someone is watching

BrinklyWollox #14 Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28387 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostStevies_Team, on 02 January 2020 - 02:56 PM, said:

If a team mate is struggling/pinned I will quite often shoot them in the back of the turret so they at least know someone is watching

How does that help? You're essentially telling them that you're behind them and such a bad shot that you'll be no help. :amazed:

Shacou #15 Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23448 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT
There is a mod that allows you to edit your radial commands, but the thing is, the words do not get highlighted in chat like with default ones. So, an average Joe might miss your message. (People already have troubles paying attention to minimap, let alone the chat..)

Edited by Shacou, 02 January 2020 - 04:02 PM.

LittleOldLady #16 Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:10 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11225 battles

View PostStevies_Team, on 02 January 2020 - 02:56 PM, said:

I never thought of that but that’s a blunt way of achieving the same result, so long as it’s not misinterpreted. If you ever find me pinned and you do that to my tank then I now won’t just think you’re a crap shot or a troll!

I support Mr Wollox’s suggestion of a “thank you” button like WoWS but even I can type “ty” without crashing my tank, and either method goes to the whole team. Key to the “xxxx is covering you” encouraging collaboration is the fact the reticle is used to direct it to one team mate at a time. I don’t think that players abusing this is a big deal, that happens with all the other comms all the time, but if it were to become an issue then perhaps the function to “receive no direct support messages from this player” could be added to the blacklist where you can block chat comms from trolls already.

15:19 Added after 9 minute
This won’t work if it’s a mod and it won’t work if it’s dependent on XVM. It’s something that needs to work right out of the box for newbies so that it counteracts the prevailing sense that random matches are every man for himself and no one cares who wins. Apparently the stats show that many who try WoT make quick progress but give up and don’t return. I’m not saying that this is a cure but WoT is not a game where it’s easy to make friends and we could use some ideas that make it easier for random players to cooperate.

LZ_Mordan #17 Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17050 battles

View PostLittleOldLady, on 02 January 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

i support you.

The comm is very basic and should be improved to reduce toxicity

LittleOldLady #18 Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11225 battles

View PostBrinklyWollox, on 02 January 2020 - 01:48 PM, said:

Fair point. Maybe "you pull forward and get shot so that I can shoot him while he's reloading" would be a more accurate message.

But at least you know that someone else is also going to shoot him and it’s now 2 guns on 1. Cooperation can start from there. 

15:44 Added after 1 minute

View PostHomer_J, on 02 January 2020 - 01:06 PM, said:

I would generally use "fall back" in such a situation to mean if you pull back then I can help.

TungstenHitman #19 Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 31752 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G
There's definitely a case of some F key commands that could stand to be changed though. I think removing something pretty useless like "Attack!" for "I've rolled my tank" would be much more beneficial since very often nobody on the team knows that person is on their side and just assume they are camping or afk or covering a flank.

LittleOldLady #20 Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:56 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11225 battles
When I occasionally notice “fall back” being broadcast, it’s usually in the midst of a similar number of messages of “attack” and is accompanied by a chaff cloud of map pinging. Often this is from dead players, annoyed that they got killed so quickly.

The only times “fall back” seems effective to me are when a flank is in complete rout and everyone’s already running away. It serves as an early warning to those holding the other map areas that their game will is not going as well as they thought.

Hopefully the effect of “xxxxx is covering you” would be to give an out-gunned player an option other than running away or making a last stand. It helps that to send the message requires the supporting player to see you, to put their reticle on you and therefore dead players won’t be able to send this message.
15:59 Added after 3 minute

View PostTungstenHitman, on 02 January 2020 - 03:50 PM, said:

There's definitely a case of some F key commands that could stand to be changed though. I think removing something pretty useless like "Attack!" for "I've rolled my tank" would be much more beneficial since very often nobody on the team knows that person is on their side and just assume they are camping or afk or covering a flank.

I support this idea too. It usually takes a lot of typing to explain that you’re on your side and get help.

Edited by LittleOldLady, 02 January 2020 - 11:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users