What happens when WG gives away too much XP (warning)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

jaxx77 #1 Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3629 battles

New players progress tiers too quickly, they participate in battles they can't play, get frustrated or discouraged and quit.

If you know how to play then you get new tanks too fast and suffer from 'abundance syndrome' -too much stuff and nothing tastes good anymore.

This causes WG to lose players.

Natural reaction would be to give something to players that would lure them to the game, and what WG does is giving away more xp (among other things) which has reverse effect (as explained already) and makes the problem even worse.

Homer_J #2 Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:23 PM

Field Marshal

• 33120 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

It worries me but not for the same reasons.

I don't think players realise they are playing beyond their level.  But what worries me is players like me will have nothing left to research, and for some that is the main drive to play.

Plus when you have nothing left to research why would you buy premium.

BravelyRanAway #3 Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:33 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 24686 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostHomer_J, on 02 January 2020 - 08:23 PM, said:

Plus when you have nothing left to research ..........

.......they make you a moderator.:justwait:

Jumping_Turtle #4 Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:43 PM

General

• Player
  • 71554 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View Postjaxx77, on 02 January 2020 - 09:16 PM, said:

New players progress tiers too quickly

With the Christmas event and all their bonusses, blueprints and xp multipliers it took me 340 battles to research a tier 10 tank on a freshly started referral acount.

And I did it on an arty grind. Not very well known on their massive XP wins.

340 battles ...

Negativvv #5 Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:45 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14822 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

My main drive is mastery of the best tanks.

The cascade of XP has certainly helped my grinds. I could still go Swedish Meds,HT and German turret TDs but I've essentially unlocked everything I want now.

NekoPuffer_PPP #6 Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35376 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Yup...

This game, though it may look simple, it certainly is not.

It literally takes thousands of battles just to get the hang of it, get used to the environment and how tanks perform and react. It takes several thousand more to hone your skills and use efficient tactics, and become a decent player.

I'm at 35k battles played, 6 and a half years later, and still learn something new from time to time.

This game goes too deep to understand in a short time period, and shoving brand-new, unpolished players into high tiers in a matter of weeks is not only bad for us veterans, but for the game itself, and its longevity, replayability, etc.

Sure, playing premium tanks to grind credits...that's okay, gotta earn credits to pay the bills of tier 10 battles...but what happens when I research all the tier 10s? Wait for new lines I guess? I wouldn't have a goal to aim for, no solid reason to keep playing, without the feeling of accomplishment upon researching a new tank, and the excitement of playing a tank I haven't been able to play before.

The only thing left would be to start over...but I imagine that would get dull over time, eventually pulling me away from the game.

Pandabird #7 Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:47 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38593 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

I've always ground my way up by acing before moving on.

In a sense, a *first* Ace tanker reward per tank in the form of 50 bonds or something similar would make an awesome addition and really encourage people to master their vehicles before rushing on, and if they can't, they'll try a more suitable line to play that rewards them instead. It would also encourage players to buy back old for example tier 7 tanks to master and in so helping MM stability  and credit exchange

Edit: 8 ace tankers left for 300 vehicles, whoop woop!

Edited by Pandabird, 02 January 2020 - 10:57 PM.

azakow #8 Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:03 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84456 battles

WG giving away XP to fast?

Indeed.

I am currently grinding RUSH HT tree.

Let me tell you this is such a chore nowadays.

In less than 10 days I can get an IS-7 AND Obj 705 A.

I do get frustrated alot on this grind ... all of the suden ... last man standing and ofc loosing since I am a total noob when it comes to HTing. I can barely carry myself. - Frustration indeed.

Edited by azakow, 02 January 2020 - 11:03 PM.

apaleytos #9 Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17063 battles

Well the whole game is advancing to T9-T10 and not being a "victim" any more....We used to grind credits in T5-T6 tanks and be mocked in T10 games as 700-800wn8 player. Old players left,WG must "restock". As quickybaby said,WG is right with +2-2 MM,because this way everyone can have a good game once in a while "running over" bottom tiers.Why a competitive gamer would agree to be the underdog in this MM,getting "clicked" by someone watching netflix and eating doritos etc etc.The matchmaker puts alot of weight onto the top tiers.If they are new players or just roleplayers it is not their fault but WG's.We have trouble understanding that this game's playerbase is dad gamers.

As a 44% 400wn8 player

whould you rather be in a tigerP or an obj430?

Would you rather snipe in a panther or a leoPT?

Would you rather be in a  SU100M1(baby bobject) or a jadgtiger?  :trollface: (joking ofc)

Edited by apaleytos, 02 January 2020 - 11:08 PM.

farko1 #10 Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:08 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 38965 battles

I don't think players realise they are playing beyond their level.  But what worries me is players like me will have nothing left to research, and for some that is the main drive to play.

İ agree. İ researched everything and im now waiting for double barreled tanks. Also i have left 6 tier 10 tanks to buy.

What will i do after that (not much interested in tier 10 battles)

MarveII #11 Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:31 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14301 battles
  • [RE-AP] RE-AP
Not everyone has all day to play the game. I think the new system is perfectly good. I hated that it took.so long to research a vehicle. Now it is much comfortable and it is easier to enjoy the game.

UrQuan #12 Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:48 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22203 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

On the other hand, the large amount of XP being handed out helps greatly with training crews. I only grinded the T95 during the XP flood. Used the massive XP gains to boost up the T95 & Foch 155 crews, who are now both at 4th skill. Especially the camo/viewrange skill make a big difference for me on the Foch 155 thanks to the fast crew training for it. Can now act as a makeshift spotter if needed, adding an extra gameplay element for it.

So yes have been using the large amounts of XP to train up various (elite) crews at an accelerated rate.

Rainbowkiss83 #13 Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:08 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 25063 battles
  • [_HATE] _HATE

I'd rather have all the tech tree reserached and have fun in the tier i prefer rather than grind all, sure grinding lines is rewarding, but the frustration that some tanks can give you is quite huge
Thanks god i got to skip TVP VTU for example :)

TungstenHitman #14 Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:08 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 31726 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

View Postjaxx77, on 02 January 2020 - 08:16 PM, said:

New players progress tiers too quickly, they participate in battles they can't play, get frustrated or discouraged and quit.

If you know how to play then you get new tanks too fast and suffer from 'abundance syndrome' -too much stuff and nothing tastes good anymore.

This causes WG to lose players.

Natural reaction would be to give something to players that would lure them to the game, and what WG does is giving away more xp (among other things) which has reverse effect (as explained already) and makes the problem even worse.

Ya the lighting fast xp grinds is bad enough but WG went one even further as of this Christmas OPS, take a look at the rewards for the love of Christ, 60 blueprints to most nations. Now someone do the math for me but that looks like a player can go from playing away with tier4 and 5 tanks to unlocking all these small loot box level Christmas atmosphere and then suddenly and easily acquiring the means to go from tier4(which was needed for the small loot box rewards) all the way to maybe even a T9 or T10 tank other than the having to grind and unlock the required modules on those tank paths which can be done really quickly with the plethora of XP bonuses available right now. So ya, xp is actually taking a back seat to WG's free blueprint chucking at the moment.

Look at all these national blueprints. T4->T10 most likely in just a handful of module grinding battles with X1000% xp bonus lol.

Really? I am currently not grinding any tanks and probably haven't for many months. The tank I have I really enjoy, discarded the ones I don't and see no reason to grind others when they don't seem to offer anything much better or different worth bothering with. What I DO play this game for, is just the fun of slugging it out against other online players, shooting and killing tanks really... of course this can not be fun at times and it's a good player that knows when to call it for the day.

I never understand why players feel this mad urge for more and more tanks and content. 15 tanks vs 15 tanks, balance it properly and that's a good quality game, no need for any other gimmicks or try hard content and modes. Sure, add new modes and why not, but generally I would be more than happy with a good balanced game with lots of tanks to chose from. WG have the "lots of tanks" part, just need to work on the balance a bit better, not a whole lot, just a little bit.

Why bother with premium tanks when nothing left to research? I find that an odd thing to say. Premium tanks span across a lot of tiers from T8 downwards, I find with premium tanks what the attraction is, is the ability to play tank that you enjoy playing because it's a style you gel with, with the added bonus of many options. Can either chose extra credits and make some nice credits playing battles with a tank you enjoy and want to fight with, are enjoying playing, or also can chose to play it with food for an even sharper offering of that tank you enjoy playing without losing credits unlike a tech tree would when played with food and no premium account. You can even be more generous with the premium ammo too and still not lose credits, at this stage a tech tree setup and played like this would bleed your credits very quickly so what you are getting is lets say a T8, but tricked out to be more like a T9 so it's a very strong tank, a lot stronger than standard T8 tech tree tank setups without food etc, that you can play without losing credits and also have the greater spectrum of tiers with the T8 MM that a T9 and T10 won't have. Of course, there are a lot of bad premium tanks and those are not worth bothering with and make no sense to play, I am talking about the good ones, the broken ones, the op ones, those are fun play when you get one you gel with and can just keep playing it at a really strong offering for free.

So for me has nothing at all to with having tanks to research. For example, I just really enjoy playing my SU-130-PM. It's a lazy casual bush fapping playstyle that bangs really hard for a T8, has big standard pen and is just makes me smile to slap tanks that hard and also make credits while doing so, for minimal skill demand also, just chill, kick back, and knock turrets off tanks, fun. That's why I play it, or any tanks nowadays really. Just the premium has that lovely credit making bonus so there's never a need to credit grind, the beauty is that it IS a credit grinder too. I'd feel the same way if I got the Progetto, I enjoy the Pantera, so if I can play pretty much the same style of tank but can also run it with food and not worry about credits, can shoot some gold against higher tier bunkers, that's a good deal for me and a good reason to play it. Thing is though, with WG's proposed ammo re-balancing and SPG re-balancing which includes a larger splash radius and might make life really hard for papery tanks on many levels both vs arty and heavy armor, I'm not going to spend one cent on a premium tank as it makes zero sense to do so with such uncertainty and WG could literally ruin tanks like SU, Skorp, Proggetto etc, all the papery tanks by effectively making them even more vulnerable to SPG's increased splash radius which will ALWAYS be the chosen ammo obviously plus for T8 premium meds that all have pretty bad standard pen vs heavy armor and higher tiers, they will be 20% weaker effectively and cost 20% more credits to play for that weaker experience, therefore, makes no sense to buy any of the papery premium tank options

Spurtung #15 Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:49 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 76145 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

demon_tank #16 Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:56 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27879 battles
  • [3ADS] 3ADS

I want to finish the grinds as fast as possible so i think this is a weird one to complain.

What will i do after i finish al lthe grinds ?

Play my Tier 8 prem tanks to farm credits.

Play my Tier 10 tanks to enjoy the end game.

Play my favourite/fun tanks.

So i dont know what are you people talking about here.

clixor #17 Posted 03 January 2020 - 02:09 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 55816 battles

View Postapaleytos, on 02 January 2020 - 11:07 PM, said:

Well the whole game is advancing to T9-T10 and not being a "victim" any more....We used to grind credits in T5-T6 tanks and be mocked in T10 games as 700-800wn8 player. Old players left,WG must "restock". As quickybaby said,WG is right with +2-2 MM,because this way everyone can have a good game once in a while "running over" bottom tiers.Why a competitive gamer would agree to be the underdog in this MM,getting "clicked" by someone watching netflix and eating doritos etc etc.The matchmaker puts alot of weight onto the top tiers.If they are new players or just roleplayers it is not their fault but WG's.We have trouble understanding that this game's playerbase is dad gamers.

As a 44% 400wn8 player

whould you rather be in a tigerP or an obj430?

Would you rather snipe in a panther or a leoPT?

Would you rather be in a  SU100M1(baby bobject) or a jadgtiger?  :trollface: (joking ofc)

And how often do you see those happy strawberry toptiers die doing 0 dmg and generally being useless, pretty often i would say. Being toptier requires a lot of skill and you need push the tempo, and know when not to. Almost every loss is one flank generally playing passive while the other flank is overrun. When you see something like that happening (if people watch minimap at all) then you just have to do something. And that's simply quite hard for inexperienced players.

I would even say that less than average players do better NOT being toptier and just play the support role, regardless the tanks they are driving.

Another side of fast XP is that it's fast to unlock tanks, but so fast that players are probably driving their tanks stocks more, which doesn't help at tier8+.

1ucky #18 Posted 03 January 2020 - 02:47 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 89433 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 02 January 2020 - 09:23 PM, said:

That's true, premium is not needed as much then.

(It can still help with boosting crews and buying equipment/tanks though.)

As for the drive to play, what's left is missions (reward tanks) and maybe mastery badges (acing) or marking tanks (gun marks).

Or maybe trying out some new tactics/positions (exploration) or getting a better win rate in some tricky to play tanks (challenge), or perhaps even #FunTM.

=^.^=

P.S.

New tech tree branches coming up soon though...

The grind will go on.

Edited by 1ucky, 03 January 2020 - 02:48 AM.

kaneloon #19 Posted 03 January 2020 - 02:54 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31547 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0

This grind was already a joke with the x5 of the new premium account. Now with all the bonuses you get 15k XP from 1 battle ... lol.

I never had so many new tanks at the same time.

But it's ok for a seasoned player like me, new tanks are not a big deal to manage.

TheJ4ckal #20 Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:06 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2602 battles

LOL and they were worried about this game being elitist and not appealing to new players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users