Poll concerning the General chat

chat poll

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Removal/changes to the 'General' chat (13 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Would you like to see the 'General' chat removed or at least changed to a better alternative?

1. Yes, I would agree on the removal of the chat. (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. Yes, I think the 'General' chat should be changed from its current form. (7 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

3. No, the chat is good as it is. (2 votes [15.38%])

4. Doesn't bother me (2 votes [15.38%])

Vote Hide poll

TheSteelDrummer #1 Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7497 battles

Poll on the 'General' chat

First of all, here's a few guidelines for this thread:

• Stay civil guys!
  • Respect the forum's rules
  • Don't whine about any personal fewds you might have with another person
  • Don't talk about any sanctions that you might've received in-game
    (that is noted in the forum rules aswell but since this would be very likely to be done I've included it on the very top of the thread)

Coming the actual discussion and reasoning for this poll.

What is wrong with the General chat you might ask. Well the most obvious thing to say here would be that it serves no real purpose in its current form other to serve as a platform for players to let's call it 'let off some steam'. You enter it and most of the time you see spam of some sorts or people writing in CAPS only. I've looked around on the forum a bit and found that there are people that would agree on this with me. Some may use it as a way to get a laugh or two but that's about it for them aswell. 
Now of course there is these occasions where people will actually take good use out of the chat (i.e. find a clan/platoonmate or get an answer to a question) but it won't be far fetched if I say that this would be the minority of the cases.

There is a second point aswell though. People are not all native English speakers and there obviously are large communities in for example Germany or Poland. People from those communities might not even know how to speak English and still share the same 'General' chat channel that the entirety of the EU server population uses. I've seen people get chat restrictions due to not speaking English in the chat and at the end it's their fault because it is marked out in chapter 7 of WG's EULA but the question is, can you really blame them?
The Game Center gives you the ability to choose your LANGUAGE for the in-game interface. So when a German player gets into his garage, he reads 'Allgemein' on his chat tab, the Polish one reads 'O
gólny' and the French one reads 'Général', all of which are in their native language and don't indicate any reason why they shouldn't also write in their native language in that specific chat window, which is a simple psychological conclusion. 

So here is my suggestion for a solution, if I was to change the General chat (because I wouldn't wanna get rid of it as I believe in it's usefulness ^^):
If we're not able to change the EULA, then let's just eliminate all risk of players getting sanctioned for not speaking English in the chat simply by putting in an actual indication that it is restricted to English only, . 'Allgemein [EN]' , 'Ogólny [EN], or 'Général (English)', etc.

If you are one that voted for a change to the chat, bring in your ideas but always stay constructive! Maybe talk about binding the chat's language to the actual language the client uses, or whatever... 
Anyways, h
appy new year, good RNG and keep kemping boosh! :bush:

Homer_J #2 Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:12 AM

Field Marshal

• 33999 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

My suggestion for general chat is not to click on it.

The chat system as a whole needs an overhaul, it's quite terrible all round.

23:16 Added after 4 minute
You have a good point about the language thing.  It assumes everyone reads the game rules before playing and although the chat moderators do warn before banning the standard chat window is so small that the warning will soon scroll off the screen and there is no guarantee that a player will read it.

SerrisFX #3 Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:50 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9044 battles
the last place for "free speech" let it be, you know what you are getting there :harp:

woolfie #4 Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 52012 battles

WG could easily put a title on top of the general chat box and it would save many players from receiving bans for a simple language mistake.

General Chat - English language only.

WG could also do more to promote the other language channels and make them easier to find.

I've been saying this for almost 10 years now.

TheSteelDrummer #5 Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7497 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 02 January 2020 - 11:12 PM, said:

You have a good point about the language thing.  It assumes everyone reads the game rules before playing and although the chat moderators do warn before banning the standard chat window is so small that the warning will soon scroll off the screen and there is no guarantee that a player will read it.

Well... yeah, believe me when I say that it's not always evident to the receiving end.

I've personnally been in the situation where I logged off the game and had a nice surprise the next day where I first had to figure out what that was all about. 

:confused:

Also tagged with chat, poll

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users