For how long does the camo value drop on shooting?

Camo Spotting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

schw4rz3r_Engel #1 Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:41 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19866 battles
  • [TOFU] TOFU

Hi,

so I know that when you shoot, your camo value drops. It goes down to the number that you can find in your garage under camo on the right side of the '/' symbol.

As far as I'm aware, when you are spotted but nobody can see you anymore you will be unspotted after 10 seconds. Is this number of 10 seconds really exact?

Now what happens when you're in a light tank that is not spot on standing still but gets spotted after firing: The camo value drops on firing so I get spotted. Then I need to wait 10 seconds staying at the same distance and I will be unspotted in theory. But the question is for how long is your camo value low after firing? Does it stay low for 0,1 seconds or does it stay low for 1, 2, 3 or 5 seconds? Of course you stay spotted as long as your camo value stays low. So you have to add this amount of time to the 10 seconds you need to stay unseen to become unspotted.

Hope somebody can help me :)

Greetings

schw4rz3r_Engel

BR33K1_PAWAH #2 Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:59 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 8158 battles
In theory it should drop only for one tick of server (in seconds it's some very small value, probably smth around 0.012).

Dramya #3 Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:19 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16935 battles
  • [_PZF_] _PZF_

View PostBR33K1_PAWAH, on 04 January 2020 - 11:59 PM, said:

In theory it should drop only for one tick of server (in seconds it's some very small value, probably smth around 0.012).

If they can see you upon firing, they will and you will be spotted for 10 seconds. If they can't, you will have full camo.

BR33K1_PAWAH #4 Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:31 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 8158 battles

View PostDramya, on 05 January 2020 - 01:19 AM, said:

If they can see you upon firing, they will and you will be spotted for 10 seconds. If they can't, you will have full camo.

Uhm, yes.

schw4rz3r_Engel #5 Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19866 battles
  • [TOFU] TOFU

View PostBR33K1_PAWAH, on 04 January 2020 - 09:59 PM, said:

If it were so, does this even work? As far as I know, there are different sampling rates for checking whether a tank becomes spotted. I didn't find accurate values, but that's what I got:

View Posthttp://forum-console...potting-checks/ (2014)

Rate of Visibility Checks

You will not necessarily spot an enemy tank as soon as you have line of sight on it. The rate of visibility checks is limited as follows:

• within 50 m range - every 0.1 sec
  • within 150 m range - every 0.5 sec
  • within 270 m range - every 1.0 sec
  • within 445 m range - every 2.0 sec

View Posthttps://www.youtube....h?v=P7WBstbZJt8 (World of Tanks Europe, 2018)

• within 50 m range - fastest interval
  • within 120 m range - fast interval
  • within 250 m range - medium interval
  • within 350 m range - slow interval
  • within 445 m range - slowest interval

In that forum post it says different values than WG itself tells in this video from 2018. Anyway, the point is the following: At 400m the interval between the spotting check is rather long, and if a tank would only drop it's camo value for 0.012s (that's 0.6% of the time of the spotting interval at 400m) it would only be spotted 0.6% of the times. That can't be real. If a light tank on Prokhorovka can only spot enemies every 2 seconds only in case this point of time exactly hits the 0.012 seconds of low camo value, no tank at the 1-2 line would ever be spotted.

View Postschw4rz3r_Engel, on 04 January 2020 - 07:41 PM, said:

But the question is for how long is your camo value low after firing?

Regarding Prokhorovka, you would also need to ask the same question about how long does the camo value of a bush drop that is within a 10m range of your tank? The camo value of the bush your sitting in is likely even the more significant one.

So it's questions upon questions and it's hard to find a logical solution for me.

Does anybody now a further answer to this?

Greetings

schw4rz3r_Engel

Edited by schw4rz3r_Engel, 05 January 2020 - 08:35 PM.

Dramya #6 Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:44 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16935 battles
  • [_PZF_] _PZF_

View PostBR33K1_PAWAH, on 05 January 2020 - 08:31 AM, said:

Uhm, yes.

Lol,  I replied to the wrong post :p

Edited by Dramya, 05 January 2020 - 08:45 PM.

BR33K1_PAWAH #7 Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 8158 battles

View Postschw4rz3r_Engel, on 05 January 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

If it were so, does this even work? As far as I know, there are different sampling rates for checking whether a tank becomes spotted. I didn't find accurate values, but that's what I got:

In that forum post it says different values than WG itself tells in this video from 2018. Anyway, the point is the following: At 400m the interval between the spotting check is rather long, and if a tank would only drop it's camo value for 0.012s (that's 0.6% of the time of the spotting interval at 400m) it would only be spotted 0.6% of the times. That can't be real. If a light tank on Prokhorovka can only spot enemies every 2 seconds only in case this point of time exactly hits the 0.012 seconds of low camo value, no tank at the 1-2 line would ever be spotted.

Regarding Prokhorovka, you would also need to ask the same question about how long does the camo value of a bush drop that is within a 10m range of your tank? The camo value of the bush your sitting in is likely even the more significant one.

So it's questions upon questions and it's hard to find a logical solution for me.

Does anybody now a further answer to this?

Greetings

schw4rz3r_Engel

It's rather simple. In game engines all game logic is called in batchs. Meaning on a single frame the game server may perform checks, calculations and logic for: spotting, shooting, hitting, damaging, moving etc. All in one go.

Furthemore, since WG programmers are running huge game servers those calls should be optimized in the way so the events that happen the most frequently are checked for the most frequently. And more rare events are checked less frequently to save server resources.

Now think, of every action i listed above, which one happens the least in WoT? Right, it's shooting. So no matter how rarely server checks for spots on big distances, it should check for them more frequently then it checks for shots.

Which should completely eliminate the problem of a shot going off in between spot checks.

Edited by BR33K1_PAWAH, 05 January 2020 - 09:52 PM.

azakow #8 Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:48 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84925 battles

View Postschw4rz3r_Engel, on 04 January 2020 - 08:41 PM, said:

Hi,

so I know that when you shoot, your camo value drops. It goes down to the number that you can find in your garage under camo on the right side of the '/' symbol.

As far as I'm aware, when you are spotted but nobody can see you anymore you will be unspotted after 10 seconds. Is this number of 10 seconds really exact?

Now what happens when you're in a light tank that is not spot on standing still but gets spotted after firing: The camo value drops on firing so I get spotted. Then I need to wait 10 seconds staying at the same distance and I will be unspotted in theory. But the question is for how long is your camo value low after firing? Does it stay low for 0,1 seconds or does it stay low for 1, 2, 3 or 5 seconds? Of course you stay spotted as long as your camo value stays low. So you have to add this amount of time to the 10 seconds you need to stay unseen to become unspotted.

Hope somebody can help me :)

Greetings

schw4rz3r_Engel

It is about 10 seconds.

Mind the Designated Traget perk.

See here: https://youtu.be/pZVWmHQVuVI?t=459

Have a look here too:

Edited by azakow, 06 January 2020 - 10:54 AM.

azakow #9 Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:20 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84925 battles

Since the Part 1+2 is rather "theoretical" the follwoing is three years old, but also shows it in parctice on he field.

I suggest to anybody to watch all three vids now, try to apply this on the fiedl and come back at it in a few weeks time again.

Be assured you will agian find new things.

Please do not expect it work the first time for you.

It mostly takes partice and patience at the keyboard and ofc on the battlefield.

Also tagged with Camo, Spotting

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users