Will the new Double barrel vehicles be worth it?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

bokbiertjes #1 Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:36 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6800 battles
  • [252EU] 252EU

Hello,

What are your guys opinions on if the double barrel vehicles will be worth it or not. I currently have 560,000 free experience saved up and I'm waiting till the new double barrel vehicles come out so I can free experience them. Do you guys think it will be worth my experience or should I use my experience for other stuff? Give me some good things and bad things about the tanks and how u think they will play. I've seen the supertest stats and they look pretty good but I don't want to base my decision on just what I think. Also, don't tell me the tanks won't be worth it cause my stats are bad. You don't know how I actually play and I don't care about stats or how I perform. I play the game for fun in my free time not to be judged based on my stats.

bokbiertjes.

RaxipIx #2 Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35583 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK
Nobody knows yet, best bet is to wait until they are actually here, and see the stats when they hit the live server, and what the streamers say/do. And then you can decide.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #3 Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:59 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35261 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
703 is pretty lulz, so if they're in the same vein then yeah, worth a look. As above, still wouldn't hurt to hang on for a little bit to see what the community makes of them first if you have other stuff you might want to drop 560K+ fxp on instead.

Bulldog_Drummond #4 Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34146 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View Postbokbiertjes, on 05 January 2020 - 04:36 PM, said:

Hello,

What are your guys opinions on if the double barrel vehicles will be worth it or not. I currently have 560,000 free experience saved up and I'm waiting till the new double barrel vehicles come out so I can free experience them. Do you guys think it will be worth my experience or should I use my experience for other stuff? Give me some good things and bad things about the tanks and how u think they will play. I've seen the supertest stats and they look pretty good but I don't want to base my decision on just what I think. Also, don't tell me the tanks won't be worth it cause my stats are bad. You don't know how I actually play and I don't care about stats or how I perform. I play the game for fun in my free time not to be judged based on my stats.

bokbiertjes.

There's a good reason why, as far as I know, no double barrelled tanks (apart from AA platforms) were ever put into production.

A_Salt_Pig #5 Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:56 PM

Private

• Player
  • 18507 battles

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 05 January 2020 - 05:04 PM, said:

There's a good reason why, as far as I know, no double barrelled tanks (apart from AA platforms) were ever put into production.

What has real life got to do with ephemeral arcade tonk game?

Stevies_Team #6 Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15765 battles

The premiums have pretty good armour profiles

But we'll have to wait and see

Hechaton #7 Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:35 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 54081 battles
If they are like 704 - then no.

nc30_guy #8 Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:48 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26754 battles
No just another gimmick like the cars easier to sideline the players than sort out the problems.

azakow #9 Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84456 battles

View Postbokbiertjes, on 05 January 2020 - 05:36 PM, said:

Hello,

bokbiertjes.

It was about a year ago, you were asking the question on how to spend your free XP.

The answer then was, spend the on tracks engine and guns, but do not free XP complete vehicles.

Now you are asking the same question again.

Ahh I see double barrel = double questions.

Spoiler

Dava_117 #10 Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:51 PM

Major General

• 23344 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHechaton, on 05 January 2020 - 07:35 PM, said:

If they are like 704 - then no.

I agree. If they will be casemate TDs with just 1 gun I don't think will worth it. :P

On a more serious note, as other said it's too early to tell. We don't have the specs yet.

ChristOfTheAbyss #11 Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 251 battles
Not competetive but might be fun in randoms. Hope they got better turret armour than 703 though. Turret cheeks are cheese, almost like KV4. 

Bulldog_Drummond #12 Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34146 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostA_Salt_Pig, on 05 January 2020 - 05:56 PM, said:

What has real life got to do with ephemeral arcade tonk game?

Not much, obviously, but I think there needs to be a thin veneer of plausibility.

bokbiertjes #13 Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6800 battles
  • [252EU] 252EU

View Postazakow, on 05 January 2020 - 07:50 PM, said:

It was about a year ago, you were asking the question on how to spend your free XP.

The answer then was, spend the on tracks engine and guns, but do not free XP complete vehicles.

Now you are asking the same question again.

Ahh I see double barrel = double questions.

Spoiler

I stopped playing for a while, got back into wot again some time ago. I did ask the same question, it's not cause I like to brag about the exp, I've already talked to friends about if I should do it or not and they said I should. I was just wondering if anyone knew some more information about the tanks and if they are actually worth it.

20:17 Added after 1 minute

View PostRaxipIx, on 05 January 2020 - 05:52 PM, said:

Nobody knows yet, best bet is to wait until they are actually here, and see the stats when they hit the live server, and what the streamers say/do. And then you can decide.

Good idea, thank you.

24doom24 #14 Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8888 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
100% they are going to be worse than the tier 8 premium since that is the common pattern. And since that is apparently an "average to below average" tank then it isn't good news. They might be like the 183s. A few lols here and there but generally poor tanks. 

Edited by 24doom24, 05 January 2020 - 09:56 PM.

Quintuss #15 Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30773 battles
  • [DIVA_] DIVA_

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 05 January 2020 - 06:04 PM, said:

There were some - but none of them with the "2 big guns in a single turret" that we'll get.

As far as 2-gunned tanks that went into mass-production go:

1. Britisch WW1 tanks - 2 sponsons with 1 gun each

2. tanks from the late 30s with dual MG or dual low-calible auto-gun (Pz1 as prominent example)

3. tanks with a bigger hull-mounted gun and another in a turret (most M3 variants, B1 and B2,....)

4. tanks with recoil-less guns M50 Ontos with 6 as a typical example.

However 2 big guns in a single turret is simply a stupid idea as double-shooting a target doesn't make sense in RL (no HP where you'd do double the damage) and with overall tank size being limited (as tank that doesn't fit into transport aircraft, trough street/railway tunnels,.... is simply near useless on a strategic level) having 1 bigger gun is simply superior to having 2 smaller barrels.

Bulldog_Drummond #16 Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:17 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34146 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostQuintuss, on 05 January 2020 - 10:35 PM, said:

There were some - but none of them with the "2 big guns in a single turret" that we'll get.

2. tanks from the late 30s with dual MG or dual low-calible auto-gun (Pz1 as prominent example)

3. tanks with a bigger hull-mounted gun and another in a turret (most M3 variants, B1 and B2,....)

However 2 big guns in a single turret is simply a stupid idea as double-shooting a target doesn't make sense in RL (no HP where you'd do double the damage) and with overall tank size being limited (as tank that doesn't fit into transport aircraft, trough street/railway tunnels,.... is simply near useless on a strategic level) having 1 bigger gun is simply superior to having 2 smaller barrels.

Good point on WW1 tanks.  I was thinking of double-gunned turrets and had forgotten about sponsons.

Agree with your other points also.

If tanks in real life had had hit points no doubt we would have seen very different designs.

Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 06 January 2020 - 12:18 AM.

1ucky #17 Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 89433 battles

I think it totally depends on how hard you want to burn that free XP.

If you really want it, just spend it, get yourself the Tier X straight away.

Don't even use any blueprints, who cares.

Either way, you save something.

Be it free XP or free time or blueprints.

And either way you'll lose something as well, so it's your pick.

In case you're still interested in other peoples opinion though:

I think the double barreled tank branch will probably be good/competitive/fun.

Worth going for, I guess.

But for the same reason, I think it would be a waste free XP'ing them, since good tanks are better played than skipped over.

Although like many have stated before, using free XP would be most effective at unlocking modules. So you don't have to play with a bad gun or a weak engine, for example, since firepower and mobility in large part make the tank.

TL;DR

I'd say combine free XP with grinding, and yes it should be worth it.

Good luck! :great:

NicoPudel04 #18 Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:30 AM

Private

• Player
  • 782 battles

View PostQuintuss, on 05 January 2020 - 11:35 PM, said:

It was done mostly for either improved kill potential with early shot or to have multiple shots ready .... so it only worked with tanks that might be described as TD's.

bokbiertjes #19 Posted 06 January 2020 - 01:11 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6800 battles
  • [252EU] 252EU

View Post1ucky, on 06 January 2020 - 12:20 AM, said:

I think it totally depends on how hard you want to burn that free XP.

If you really want it, just spend it, get yourself the Tier X straight away.

Don't even use any blueprints, who cares.

Either way, you save something.

Be it free XP or free time or blueprints.

And either way you'll lose something as well, so it's your pick.

In case you're still interested in other peoples opinion though:

I think the double barreled tank branch will probably be good/competitive/fun.

Worth going for, I guess.

But for the same reason, I think it would be a waste free XP'ing them, since good tanks are better played than skipped over.

Although like many have stated before, using free XP would be most effective at unlocking modules. So you don't have to play with a bad gun or a weak engine, for example, since firepower and mobility in large part make the tank.

TL;DR

I'd say combine free XP with grinding, and yes it should be worth it.

Good luck! :great:

Thanks!! 

Kalle_Elmeri #20 Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 24445 battles
  • [XO] XO

Hi!

My son insisted on me posting this here: He's amazed of the double-barreled Obj 703 in the current game. He likes playing mostly SPGs and he would like to see a double-barreled SPG in the game. What do you think, could this be reality in the game?

One real-world reference that came to my mind, but it is quite modern: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOS

Cheers!

Kalle_Elmeri

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users