Do we want or need a crew skill rework?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Crew Skills Rework (166 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Do we need or want one?

1. Yes (67 votes [40.36%])

Percentage of vote: 40.36%

2. No (99 votes [59.64%])

Percentage of vote: 59.64%

Vote Hide poll

JCD3nton #21 Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:47 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30630 battles
6th sense shouldn't be a skill. It should be a default perk for everyone at 100% crew skills. The rest is not that urgent.

Edited by JCD3nton, 06 January 2020 - 11:48 AM.

Balc0ra #22 Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:50 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 76412 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
That depends on who they do it. As in WOWS style, WOT console style, or even WOT Blitz style. As not all of those are equally appealing for this game.

Dava_117 #23 Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:05 PM

Lieutenant General

• 23776 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Yes, IMO crew skills need a rework. There are a lot of skills that are underpowered or completely useless and levelling up skills take far too much time. 

That said, I'm quite skeptical about the solution WG is proposing. Have to see the details, but at the moment I'm afraid it can ruin something that, more or less, is working.

jack_timber #24 Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:08 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 43596 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Crew skills rework, yes....

There's only a lamentable few I can use on arty, 6th sense, BIA, camo. Anything else are just window dressing.

Well you did ask....

SlyMeerkat #25 Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:16 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19502 battles
  • [-RLD-] -RLD-
Not bothered one way or another like most things they do on this game, just so many get up in arms over the slightest sign of something being worked on all because most just dont like change or just jump to conclusion that its bad..... Wait and see i say, either adapt or dont and im always up for giving things a try

Thejagdpanther #26 Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:17 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38611 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS

View PostChristOfTheAbyss, on 05 January 2020 - 09:54 PM, said:

Depends how its made. Could be good, but as its WG it probably wont. 

pretty much this

Skills need a rework (or a refresh) from more than 2 year now. Some of them are completely useless.
Of course the idea of put only the commander (like on the ships) is pretty dumb considering (as always) money spent from people for made changes for the crew.
Same for equipment. The choices are so similar on so many tanks that is dull and boring.

killer999death #27 Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27477 battles
  • [JHS] JHS
Yes they need a rework because it's stupid that every time you move to the next tank you need to retrain your crew and lose main skill % which in turn makes the already bad stock tank you already bought EVEN WORSE. 

I'm talking purely of those people who don't pay for literally everything the game has to offer. I never retrained my crew for gold because I find it a cheap cash grab, you use credits but suffer a penalty or you pay with money and avoid getting punished. 

In my opinion, to which you don't need to agree because it's just my opinion, I'd completely remove the main skill % of crew and instead have them train up only skills and perks. I think that's a much better thing where people don't need to suffer 80% crews + stock tanks. Also Sixth sense should be a skill on all commanders as default, specially as there is a mod (not sure if it is banned) which automatically mentions in chat that you were spotted for you and the entire team to know - like the auto message that arty hit you.

Homer_J #28 Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

Field Marshal

• 33657 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postkiller999death, on 06 January 2020 - 11:19 AM, said:

Yes they need a rework because it's stupid that every time you move to the next tank you need to retrain your crew and lose main skill % which in turn makes the already bad stock tank you already bought EVEN WORSE. 

A 90% crew gives you more like 95% of everything (reload time, view range, etc.) It's really not that much of a disadvantage.

tajj7 #29 Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29299 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Yes as both crew skills and equipment are extremely limited, for most tanks their is a right way of setting them up using the same equipment and crew skills than most tanks have. 

A re-work (if done correctly) should allow players more options to create 'builds' for different roles and playstyles without their being an obvious 'best' way of setting up a tank. 

There are 4 dominant equipment pieces - V-stab, rammer, optics and vents.

And a very limited set of dominant crew skills - SS, BIA, camo, repairs, view range skills, safe stowage, and pretty much most of the rest are a much of muchness. 

ChernoGamma #30 Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:54 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4399 battles

There is only 1 modification, what is necessary, i think:

Let the sixth sense to work when it is not 100%. It should blink 8 sec after the detection, when the skill is started. When the skill have reached 100%, the delay should be only 3sec, like we have now. At 50% skill level, the delay should be 5,5 sec. This would help a lot for the beginners, but it would still have some progress in the development.

The rest are good. Complete crew skill rework is totally unnecessary. It is one of the last good parts of the game.

Maybe some gunner skill would be great to imporve the gun accuracy, and aim time.

Edited by ChernoGamma, 06 January 2020 - 12:58 PM.

GodTank2 #31 Posted 06 January 2020 - 01:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10098 battles
  • [RF_] RF_
Yes. Crew skills have been the same for many years. Many of them are useless right now.

apaleytos #32 Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17153 battles

Nowdays is not that hard to get commanders with six sense.Twitch prime,campaigns,holiday events,crew books.Some skills are indeed useless and could use some improvement.I think game has more pressing issues than this rework.

They can't even fix the camo values of bushes :trollface:,who knows they might ruin the skill system.Until i see the proposed alternative i vote no.

Geno1isme #33 Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:41 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 49384 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

Yes we need a rework for many years now. Not just new skills, but a complete overhaul of the whole crew system.

Don't know about you, but I'm getting pretty annoyed by all those redundant 100% crews from rentals/gift tanks sitting in the barracks, obsolete radio operators from grinds, shifting roles between different tiers (e.g. commander+radio vs. loader+radio), shifting relevant skills between tiers (e.g. american or german TDs needing camo at low tier and repair at high tier), micro-managing assembling crews for new tanks, exponential XP requirements, non-transparent XP mechanics, ...

Kinda sad that apparently most people are so used to this crappy system that the only change they can think of is free 6th sense.

Of course wether WGs plans will actually address the issues or make it even messier remains to be seen.

Btw, WG is actually talking about a crew rework for at least 3 or 4 years now, so this is hardly coming as a surprise.

RANDOM_PLAYER123 #34 Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18691 battles

A total waste of resources, like with the HE rebalance

WoT is getting like a local council

They "fix" things that don't need fixed by breaking them, thereby wasting valuable resources

It's a government system now being adopted by the private sector

will0hlep #35 Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:08 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12312 battles
  • [TD_UK] TD_UK
For the min it's a no from me, but maybe WG may wow me with what they come up with. (Save the derp)
15:09 Added after 1 minute

View PostJCD3nton, on 06 January 2020 - 11:47 AM, said:

6th sense shouldn't be a skill. It should be a default perk for everyone at 100% crew skills. The rest is not that urgent.

Why not just a default game mechanic? TBH i see no reason why there needs to be any requirement on the crew.

Edited by will0hlep, 06 January 2020 - 04:08 PM.

tajj7 #36 Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29299 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostGeno1isme, on 06 January 2020 - 01:41 PM, said:

Yes we need a rework for many years now. Not just new skills, but a complete overhaul of the whole crew system.

Don't know about you, but I'm getting pretty annoyed by all those redundant 100% crews from rentals/gift tanks sitting in the barracks, obsolete radio operators from grinds, shifting roles between different tiers (e.g. commander+radio vs. loader+radio), shifting relevant skills between tiers (e.g. american or german TDs needing camo at low tier and repair at high tier), micro-managing assembling crews for new tanks, exponential XP requirements, non-transparent XP mechanics, ...

I think this is why they are looking a WOWs style Commander system with just one crew member, so you don't have all these matched crew numbers and skills all over the place. No redundant radio operators etc. just one crew member for every tank, makes all their premiums simpler as crew trainers as well. 

Yaccay #37 Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:17 PM

Major

• Player
  • 36639 battles
  • [4TL] 4TL

Crew skill rework can be good.

But the point is: the current crew skill system does not cause any problem

Other issues are the cause of the decreasing number of active players.

WG should use its valuable resources (developers) to deal with those issues.

Geno1isme #38 Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 49384 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View Posttajj7, on 06 January 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

I think this is why they are looking a WOWs style Commander system with just one crew member, so you don't have all these matched crew numbers and skills all over the place. No redundant radio operators etc. just one crew member for every tank, makes all their premiums simpler as crew trainers as well.

I'm still not convinced that they're going with the WoWs system. So far the only thing that seems certain is that they are doing away with the different crew roles, but the following sentence kinda goes against a direct WoWs copy:

"Several commanders will form a unit that can be moved to different tanks, so interacting with it will be more convenient than with individual tankers."

Of course what that actually means is unknown for now.

Personally I'd gone with a D&D like system where tank/class specialization and role would not be fixed properties of a crew member but learnable skills with multiple tiers and make it possible to learn multiple specializations. Also remove primary skill as a property and make crew efficiency based on the level of specialization trained. That way you'd need zero changes to the tanks (they'd still have their crew slots+role assignments), but could consolidate your crews significantly (obviously it shouldn't be possible to have a single super crew for all tanks, but that's relatively easy to handle with XP cost design and/or caps). Like currently I have probably over 200-250 complete crews, but some of them probably haven't seen action for over two years. With the current system however where each tank (short of premiums/rewards) needs a dedicated crew it's either that or having to pay whenever I feel the urge to play those tanks.

That's why the above statement is quite interesting to me. Esp. as in other sources they said that "forgetting" a previous specialization is also sth. they want to do away with somehow.

arjun69 #39 Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 106585 battles
  • [ARJ] ARJ

if you keep the equivalent of your current skillpoints then you dont have a refund situation.

if they dont feck it up i am all for it. the current system is bad and outdated.

Edited by arjun69, 06 January 2020 - 05:10 PM.

NekoPuffer_PPP #40 Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36048 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

We kinda do but kinda don't...

The system works fine as it is, however, some things don't make a lotta sense, or hinder other things.

Firstly, there's too many unused (rarely used, basically pointless) perks.

Second, the driver has too many useful skills, such as Offroad Driving and Clutch Braking which have basically the same effect and should in all honesty be combined into one.

Third, 'main' skills - camo, fire extinguishing, repairs, BiA - block training of other skills/perks, as they're most useful when the whole crew trains them. Moving them to a separately trained skill set would fix that. Think Main/Secondary skills/perks, trained simultaneously.

Edited by NekoPuffer_PPP, 06 January 2020 - 05:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users