Stat padders - XVM removal?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

moldovanvali #1 Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:39 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15603 battles

In the past 6 months, I've been noticing a new? and increasingly constant stat padding phenomenon.

From the beginning of the battle, statistically good players see that they are part of the tomato team and hide in the back of the map to farm damage.

Today's example: Batchat, 55k battles, 56% WR, not a low tier seal clubber, on Ruinberg, goes directly to A0, behind a rock(after 12k battles, I didn't know there's a rock there).

Lacking targets, does not fire a single shot in the first few minutes of the battle. Empties 2 clips in last part of the battle. 

No area denial in the middle, no fire support down the alley. Nothing. Instead of driving the team and helping out, he simply stood in the corner.

The thing is that IMO with a player like him on the team actually doing something, at least 20% of the statistically unfavorable matches can be won.

Isn't it time to remove/ban/change in battle XVM? The anonymity function does not seem to help because people don't really use it.

Any thoughts? 

azakow #2 Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:46 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84701 battles

Parcel service at door

mother on the phone

kid fighting or crying

wife demanding attention

Edited by azakow, 07 January 2020 - 10:48 PM.

Signal11th #3 Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:47 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46431 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

You have to figure for everything, He might have had to take a phone call, batchat is all about keeping your HP until the end then clipping lone tanks or a couple of low HP tanks. Don't forget if he doesn't win well he's not really padding anything apart from damage and in a batchat he's going to need at least 3-4k damage to even pad wn8 if he's a half decent player. The amount of abuse I get for "camping" at the start only to end up winning the game because I've got all my HP left. Some people just expect you to yolo forward is unreal, different tanks require different skill sets and used differently on different maps. Don;t forget just because he's got good stats might only mean he's got good low tier stats and not a very good tier 9/10 player.

I mean yesterday I got told to : (and this is real)  (get cancer, kill myself, die in a car crash, have my mother raped , though she's dead so I imagine she wouldn't notice) and some of this was by another "good" player basically because I outplayed him plus a couple of other people who don;t enjoy getting killed or outplayed. 

Edited by Signal11th, 07 January 2020 - 10:50 PM.

moldovanvali #4 Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15603 battles

View PostSignal11th, on 07 January 2020 - 09:47 PM, said:

You have to figure for everything, He might have had to take a phone call, batchat is all about keeping your HP until the end then clipping lone tanks or a couple of low HP tanks. Don't forget if he doesn't win well he's not really padding anything apart from damage and in a batchat he's going to need at least 3-4k damage to even pad wn8 if he's a half decent player. The amount of abuse I get for "camping" at the start only to end up winning the game because I've got all my HP left. Some people just expect you to yolo forward is unreal, different tanks require different skill sets and used differently on different maps. Don;t forget just because he's got good stats might only mean he's got good low tier stats and not a very good tier 9/10 player.

I mean yesterday I got told to : (and this is real)  (get cancer, kill myself, die in a car crash, have my mother raped , though she's dead so I imagine she wouldn't notice) and some of this was by another "good" player basically because I outplayed him plus a couple of other people who don;t enjoy getting killed or outplayed.  do you 

I totally disagree with suicide runs and I clearly understand that urgent matters need to be attended to. I am concerned about the frequency I've seen this behavior show up. Any views on XVM?

1ucky #5 Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:57 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 89606 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View Postazakow, on 07 January 2020 - 10:46 PM, said:

Parcel service at door

mother on the phone

kid fighting or crying

wife demanding attention

^ this.

Or some mission requirement.

Or lag.

Or tactics trial.

Or who knows what?

And why shouldn't a guy play like he wants to?

Honestly I've seen far far worse hundreds or probably even thousands of times.

Just don't worry too much about it mate, can't win them all.

Signal11th #6 Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:12 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46431 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View Postmoldovanvali, on 07 January 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

I totally disagree with suicide runs and I clearly understand that urgent matters need to be attended to. I am concerned about the frequency I've seen this behavior show up. Any views on XVM?

XVM? Worst thing ever to be in the game, don't use it you'll play better as usual WG didn't remove the cause of the problem just put a band-aid on it.

Edited by Signal11th, 07 January 2020 - 11:13 PM.

Desyatnik_Pansy #7 Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:39 AM

Bartender

• 18799 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View Post1ucky, on 07 January 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

Or some mission requirement.

I dunno about any missions really asking to be super passive, atleast for Mediums (I know a few missions for TDs are like "do x Damage/Kills while unspotted). The bad ones are the "get x Kills in x Time" or something, which basically just tells you to yolo at the start and throw your tank away, but that isn't the problem I think with the players OP Is apparently experiencing.

Inappropriate_noob #8 Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:43 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 17630 battles

View Postmoldovanvali, on 07 January 2020 - 10:57 PM, said:

Yeah get rid of it

1ucky #9 Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:11 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 89606 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 08 January 2020 - 12:39 AM, said:

I dunno about any missions really asking to be super passive, atleast for Mediums (I know a few missions for TDs are like "do x Damage/Kills while unspotted). The bad ones are the "get x Kills in x Time" or something, which basically just tells you to yolo at the start and throw your tank away, but that isn't the problem I think with the players OP Is apparently experiencing.

Well alright, being super passive or even slightly passive is never a requirement, I gotta admit. :)

But there are some missions asking to do a certain amount of damage or crit hits (/whatever), and sometimes it's just risky to overexpose if you're really trying hard to not fail at them. Especially when a whole series of battles goes to waste and you have to start again if you fail too hard. Can't hold it against any player if they just wish to spare themselves some trouble / save some time.

And apart from that, who knows what went on exactly, plus like I said let people play as they wish (as long as they're not hurting their teammates, alright...).

Either way it mustn't be XVM's fault. But if it is... I dunno. I don't use XVM. It's probably good for WG that it exists though, otherwise they wouldn't have enabled it for so long, I guess.

Desyatnik_Pansy #10 Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:17 AM

Bartender

• 18799 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View Post1ucky, on 08 January 2020 - 12:11 AM, said:

Well alright, being super passive or even slightly passive is never a requirement, I gotta admit. :)

But there are some missions asking to do a certain amount of damage or crit hits (/whatever), and sometimes it's just risky to overexpose if you're really trying hard to not fail at them. Especially when a whole series of battles goes to waste and you have to start again if you fail too hard. Can't hold it against any player if they just wish to spare themselves some trouble / save some time.

Even then, atleast to me, damage normally comes from being actively involved. The OP's case, the player was not actively involved for most of the game, and that promotes the game ending quicker, which thus leads to a struggle to deal the necessary damage for the mission. Can't speak much for other missions though.

View Post1ucky, on 08 January 2020 - 12:11 AM, said:

And apart from that, who knows what went on exactly, plus like I said let people play as they wish (as long as they're not hurting their teammates, alright...).

Either way it mustn't be XVM's fault. But if it is... I dunno. I don't use XVM. It's probably good for WG that it exists though, otherwise they wouldn't have enabled it for so long, I guess.

Oh of course. I don't think we'll ever know what exactly happened in the OP's case unless the player himself came and explained it (very unlikely), we can only throw random guesses at the wall, so I think it's wrong to blame any one specific thing. I was just arguing against the mission requirement part. :P

1ucky #11 Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 89606 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 08 January 2020 - 01:17 AM, said:

Even then, atleast to me, damage normally comes from being actively involved. The OP's case, the player was not actively involved for most of the game, and that promotes the game ending quicker, which thus leads to a struggle to deal the necessary damage for the mission. Can't speak much for other missions though.

Agreed, but apart from that the damage also comes from being able to shoot more than one clip before dying. :P

It's possible that the BC25t in question had some reasonable doubt he would survive for long enough while hanging out in the front row, in that particular situation.

And since it is a paper tank and people often have fair reasons to seek out hard cover, well... That's my perspective on that. :)

Stevies_Team #12 Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:06 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15765 battles

Don't really care now that you can anonymise

[content removed]

As long as XVM can be neutered, gameplay can be normalised

...the other bits are for...  the other people to stroke and be obsessive about...

...like those blokes who obsess about womens high heels (I prefer whats in them heels)

Moderate derogatory insults and the inappropriate reference of OCD and autism.

Relevant content has been removed and player has been sanctioned.

~Nakano_Ichika

Edited by Nakano_Ichika, 08 January 2020 - 01:58 PM.

Tealo #13 Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:11 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 43825 battles
  • [RIFF] RIFF

View Postmoldovanvali, on 07 January 2020 - 09:39 PM, said:

In the past 6 months, I've been noticing a new? and increasingly constant stat padding phenomenon.

From the beginning of the battle, statistically good players see that they are part of the tomato team and hide in the back of the map to farm damage.

Today's example: Batchat, 55k battles, 56% WR, not a low tier seal clubber, on Ruinberg, goes directly to A0, behind a rock(after 12k battles, I didn't know there's a rock there).

Lacking targets, does not fire a single shot in the first few minutes of the battle. Empties 2 clips in last part of the battle. 

No area denial in the middle, no fire support down the alley. Nothing. Instead of driving the team and helping out, he simply stood in the corner.

The thing is that IMO with a player like him on the team actually doing something, at least 20% of the statistically unfavorable matches can be won.

Isn't it time to remove/ban/change in battle XVM? The anonymity function does not seem to help because people don't really use it.

Any thoughts? 

AS i was in game recently in a Bat Chat on Ruinberg and yes I did go the corner at A0, (it might of been with you ) I explain my reason for doing so:

I was the only one going towards the ridge line at the center of the map! 

The rest of team on the right  hand side camped along the A line at the back. I could see by looking at the Mini Map (shock horror I do look at the thing sometimes :ohmy:) that I was in a very bad team with out the use of XVM as I don't use any mods as I'm completely Vanilla.

Just by noticing the positioning of my socalled team whom decided to hang back (if they could on a completely different map) camping and let some one else take all the risk like they were playing in ranked battles.. So YES I responded by camping A0 at least I was covering the far corner spotting down the 0 line (by myself) and maybe get some damage done plus conserve my HP as the Match was a loss anyway unless the guys on the left hand side of the map in the town won.

I knew that within the first 60 seconds of that match simply by paying attention to the socalled teams positioning on the mini map

Edited by Tealo, 08 January 2020 - 06:38 AM.

AXIS_OF_RESISTANCE #14 Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:23 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4927 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT
People can do what ever the hell they want with their tank ,screw this entitlement of how they should and should't

View PostTealo, on 08 January 2020 - 06:11 AM, said:

I knew that within the first 60 seconds of that match simply by paying attention to the socalled teams positioning on the mini map

Let me guess you got map pinged to oblivion by the Generals .

Ceeb #15 Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:46 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 34199 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

View PostSignal11th, on 07 January 2020 - 09:47 PM, said:

I mean yesterday I got told to : (and this is real)  (get cancer, kill myself, die in a car crash, have my mother raped , though she's dead so I imagine she wouldn't notice) and some of this was by another "good" player basically because I outplayed him plus a couple of other people who don;t enjoy getting killed or outplayed. 

I watch you a lot and I dont consider you a camper, like other streamers like fastfingers.  Haters are gonna hate.  Even at my level I get abuse.  I met a guy from a well known clan the other day and he couldnt stop giving abuse to anyone, everyone was noobs from the start,  and we won as well. It was a blatant XVM user. So even good players can are toxic.  I'm toxic at times and you have also given abuse. its swings and rounderbouts.  What was interesting was my chat history as I'd locked horns with this guy before.

He ended up wining the game from the Red line in his Knigpanzer 105  TD thing and still toxic.  But you are right the most toxic players are those below <49% WR IMO.

The anonminiser is helping, and the more people use it the better the game will become. 

07:47 Added after 1 minute

View PostAXIS_OF_RESISTANCE, on 08 January 2020 - 07:23 AM, said:

People can do what ever the hell they want with their tank ,screw this entitlement of how they should and should't

Let me guess you got map pinged to oblivion by the Generals .

Its the idiots that ping Help when they are the only ones left I think are special.

1ucky #16 Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:14 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 89606 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View PostTealo, on 08 January 2020 - 06:11 AM, said:

(...)

Well played. :)

Suurpolskija #17 Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:15 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 24457 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

Maybe you're the one that should remove XVM and focus more on what YOU can do for yourself and for your team. 

Homer_J #18 Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:26 AM

Field Marshal

• 33157 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postmoldovanvali, on 07 January 2020 - 09:39 PM, said:

Isn't it time to remove/ban/change in battle XVM?

You can start a trend.  Stop using it yourself and you won't be relying on that one unicum any more, instead you will have to take each battle as if what you do matters.

BlackBloodBandit #19 Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:30 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8291 battles

View PostStevies_Team, on 08 January 2020 - 02:06 AM, said:

Don't really care now that you can anonymise

[content removed]

As long as XVM can be neutered, gameplay can be normalised

...the other bits are for...  the other people to stroke and be obsessive about...

...like those blokes who obsess about womens high heels (I prefer whats in them heels)

Moderate derogatory insults and the inappropriate reference of OCD and autism.

Relevant content has been removed and player has been sanctioned.

~Nakano_Ichika

Your comparison is disgusting. Looks like you don't know much about those things.

malachi6 #20 Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:33 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 51289 battles

prescriptive thinking is a way many people assimilate the world around them.  It could be that player went to that spot and it worked for them a long time ago and they have continued to do so without giving it much thought.  Your own thining is yet another form of this thinking as well as a post hoc fallacy.  The only evidence you have is a single battle and your own clearly biased reasoning.  A better question to ask would be "why would a person play like this".  Rather than making a gross assumption.

Not everybody uses XVM or cares about WN8 etc.

My daughter has autism and is not at all bothered about stats in free to play games.

Edited by malachi6, 08 January 2020 - 10:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users