scout

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Richthoffen #1 Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:33 AM

Major

• Player
  • 31146 battles
  • [MS-] MS-

as a TD player that prefers glass canons with good camo I recently shifted  a bit towards passive scouting.

I have the AMX 13-75 but I use this more as a nimble TD by using it as a dmg dealer instead.

what would be a noob friendly passive scout line to someone that is fond of big guns and doing tons of dmg?

any suggestions with motivation will be appreciated but keep in mind i'm going out of my comfort zone so really noob friendly

1ucky #2 Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:47 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 89606 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

Well the top tier US lights have the highest caliber guns.

(T49 & Sheridan)

I guess since you can mount Binocs on any non-wheeled lights, they cover the passive aspect as well?

Richthoffen #3 Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:56 AM

Major

• Player
  • 31146 battles
  • [MS-] MS-

thank you for the suggestion but looking for actual passive scouts so big guns are not needed, I have other tanks for that.

edit: I find good passive scouts are rare and would like to give it a try

Edited by Richthoffen, 08 January 2020 - 12:00 PM.

TheDrownedApe #4 Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:59 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 50852 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostRichthoffen, on 08 January 2020 - 10:33 AM, said:

I have the AMX 13-75 but I use this more as a nimble TD by using it as a dmg dealer instead.

Wow, thanks. I always look forward to seeing a scout at the back trying to snipe. lets be honest that's your role in the game......oh wait

All you will do is become a burden to your team and ensure you are reoundly hated by the 14 others you are supposed to help win.

voodoospirit #5 Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:01 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29997 battles

passive spotting is very situnationnal now, u need more a light that can firesupport with passive scouting ability than the other way around.

lights have changed from passive/active scout to more firesupport/damage dealer lights.

one important thing to remember: all lights are not scouts, all scouts are not always lights

i m a light players, a bit less as years came by and MM light reduced.

u can be passive with all the lights, but some are smaller and easier to fit in bushes (more choices)

-i played most of my amx line as passive + firesupport at mid/late game., they are small and fit and bushes but as active, they are not as fast and nimble as some other nations.u have to get used to the reloader.

elc even is a very good passive spotter, it fit pretty much in any bushes

-the british line are verry good passives (small size) but the tanks are way under the other nations equivalent, u can't duel, evade, avoid......low DPM, low precision. hardcore line++

- US line, they are polyvalent, not very small, very oriented firesupport, with the 152mm of the sheridan/T49, u can shoot from far on the front of heavies/td and still deal damages otherwise u have to find a flank, i often used the t49-152 as apin in the [edited]against heavies in front of them, until i find a way to side/behind them. one of the easiest light line.

- russian line: mainly active , another easy line to deal with.

-german: not an easy line, t6 lost its derp gun some patches ago, t7/t8 are not very good lights, not bad as the brits but well, u have to put a challenge to play them, t9 is an active light, t10 is a mini leopard1, sniper light that lose pen over distance :/

-chinese: more or less mini-meds

Richthoffen #6 Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:02 PM

Major

• Player
  • 31146 battles
  • [MS-] MS-

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 08 January 2020 - 11:59 AM, said:

Wow, thanks. I always look forward to seeing a scout at the back trying to snipe. lets be honest that's your role in the game......oh wait

All you will do is become a burden to your team and ensure you are reoundly hated by the 14 others you are supposed to help win.

assumptions..  I will not be sniping in the back, I don't use the AMX for that but I feel I play it as a dmg dealer instead of a scout and want to shift to more passive scouting

Cobra6 #7 Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:07 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Well, the UK lights have good pen (so you can snipe) and good camo. 

Chinese lights have heavy alpha guns and good camo.

So either of the two.

Or the T49 with the 152mm of course, if you really like doing damage.

Cobra 6

crnakoza #8 Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:08 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 61157 battles

View PostRichthoffen, on 08 January 2020 - 12:02 PM, said:

assumptions..  I will not be sniping in the back, I don't use the AMX for that but I feel I play it as a dmg dealer instead of a scout and want to shift to more passive scouting

There is nothing magical about passive scouting. Its just sitting in a bush, often without you using your own guns, and not running around like headless chicken, that's all. Hell, I passive scouted million times in my Hellcat and RHM, how's that for spotting class?. People who passively scout do it because either their tank is not much good for anything else, or because they are somewhere where it would be very unwise to use your guns from and it's best to let the rest of the team do the shooting.

Rather than pondering deep thoughts about which tank should you use for this, focus more on where you will be passive scouting from. For scouting the location is imperative, not so much the tank you do it in. If you team cannot shoot at what you spot then you are at the wrong place. If your team outspots you then you are too far behind.

Edited by crnakoza, 08 January 2020 - 12:13 PM.

1ucky #9 Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:14 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 89606 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View PostRichthoffen, on 08 January 2020 - 11:56 AM, said:

thank you for the suggestion but looking for actual passive scouts so big guns are not needed, I have other tanks for that.

edit: I find good passive scouts are rare and would like to give it a try

Erm... the Sheridan has 420 base view range. :)

But anyway if you'd prefer a different line, for example the German Rhm.Pzw. has 420 base view range as well.

Just put vents + binocs on top and voila, you've got a maxed out passive scout. :)

11:20 Added after 5 minute

View Postcrnakoza, on 08 January 2020 - 12:08 PM, said:

There is nothing magical about passive scouting.

(...)

:(

Edited by 1ucky, 08 January 2020 - 12:15 PM.

Gremlin182 #10 Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:29 PM

General

• Player
  • 60339 battles

I have a lot of light tanks and love the role.

As others said passive scouting is situational so you have to make some choices and see how it goes for you.

Start with a light tank line thats got good camo values and decent view ranges.

You can check these on wotinfo and or tanks GG to get an idea of the statistics of each.

http://www.wotinfo.n...remium=on&sort=

You have the 13-75 and that has almost the highest base camo at that tier  against that you have 370 view range.

The American T71 has 400 but its base camo is 13 against your 17 as I say its a tradeoff.

Personal choice for me would be an autoloader as you will not be taking a rammer and since you are setting up as a spotter you can take use equipment to boost view range.

Passive spotter setup prob Binoculars vents Camo net camo paint then the usual crew skillc camo and sixth sense of course but later Situational awareness recon and BIA.

That gets you 510 view range when the binocs are active and 408 when moving.

You could carry optics as well and decide to either drop the camo net or the vents that gives you either 439 or 449 constantly

All depends if you set up for max view and camo or a compromise active passive scout setup, you will find what works best for you.

Tanks again up to you I have most of them.

Americans and German have darn good view ranges I dislike the higher tier German ones but the Americans are decent

I preferred the Bulldog with an autoloader but thats gone, the T49 is good but not really a scout same with the Sheridan more a light/medium.

Chinese French and Russian pretty good don't think you can really go wrong there,

British not got them as yet unlocked the setter but not bought it.

Edited by Gremlin182, 08 January 2020 - 12:29 PM.

Geno1isme #11 Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48827 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostCobra6, on 08 January 2020 - 01:07 PM, said:

Well, the UK lights have good pen (so you can snipe) and good camo. 

Chinese lights have heavy alpha guns and good camo.

Another thing to note there is that UK lights are pretty small, so they can use almost every bush without issues. With other nation lights you often can't get the whole vehicle inside the smaller bushes, so you have to be more careful about different approach vectors.

Balc0ra #12 Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74917 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

For passive alone. French AMX line is not a bad pick if you might already have a crew for it. Speed to get up fast to do the early spots, great camo and view range for their tier. 13 90 is still IMO one of the best flexible tier 9 lights. And you can go active and into more of a bully role with them later once you get more used to them. But they also work great just spotting and observing on some maps. And as support guns on other maps when view range and camo is not helping anyone, like on urban or corridor maps.

But... as crazy as it sounds. The UK line might fit better for the "TD" style. Tier 9 lacks mobility, tier 7 lacks base view range, and they are all not great on the DPM side to counter lights up close for the more active role. But have pen to work as support guns. And are great passive scouts once you get a good crew and kit them out to get intel upfront. But keep in mind, the tier 7 and 9 have less than ideal stock grinds. 

Richthoffen #13 Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:49 PM

Major

• Player
  • 31146 battles
  • [MS-] MS-

View PostGremlin182, on 08 January 2020 - 12:29 PM, said:

I have a lot of light tanks and love the role.

As others said passive scouting is situational so you have to make some choices and see how it goes for you.

Start with a light tank line thats got good camo values and decent view ranges.

You can check these on wotinfo and or tanks GG to get an idea of the statistics of each.

http://www.wotinfo.n...remium=on&sort=

You have the 13-75 and that has almost the highest base camo at that tier  against that you have 370 view range.

The American T71 has 400 but its base camo is 13 against your 17 as I say its a tradeoff.

Personal choice for me would be an autoloader as you will not be taking a rammer and since you are setting up as a spotter you can take use equipment to boost view range.

Passive spotter setup prob Binoculars vents Camo net camo paint then the usual crew skillc camo and sixth sense of course but later Situational awareness recon and BIA.

That gets you 510 view range when the binocs are active and 408 when moving.

You could carry optics as well and decide to either drop the camo net or the vents that gives you either 439 or 449 constantly

All depends if you set up for max view and camo or a compromise active passive scout setup, you will find what works best for you.

Tanks again up to you I have most of them.

Americans and German have darn good view ranges I dislike the higher tier German ones but the Americans are decent

I preferred the Bulldog with an autoloader but thats gone, the T49 is good but not really a scout same with the Sheridan more a light/medium.

Chinese French and Russian pretty good don't think you can really go wrong there,

British not got them as yet unlocked the setter but not bought it.

after reading this I fear its more a mindset... have gun, must use

I will check my set up and tinker with it a bit to max it out (I will try to hold my fire)

11:55 Added after 6 minute

View PostBalc0ra, on 08 January 2020 - 12:39 PM, said:

For passive alone. French AMX line is not a bad pick if you might already have a crew for it. Speed to get up fast to do the early spots, great camo and view range for their tier. 13 90 is still IMO one of the best flexible tier 9 lights. And you can go active and into more of a bully role with them later once you get more used to them. But they also work great just spotting and observing on some maps. And as support guns on other maps when view range and camo is not helping anyone, like on urban or corridor maps.

But... as crazy as it sounds. The UK line might fit better for the "TD" style. Tier 9 lacks mobility, tier 7 lacks base view range, and they are all not great on the DPM side to counter lights up close for the more active role. But have pen to work as support guns. And are great passive scouts once you get a good crew and kit them out to get intel upfront. But keep in mind, the tier 7 and 9 have less than ideal stock grinds.

only downside I can find is the camo drops horrible @ tier 8 with the B C 12t and as I platoon almost all of the time that is really the tier I would be playing the most, blueprints that where given at the Christmas event will probably get me to the BC 12t easy but as said I do not fancy the drop in camo coming from the AMX.

crew is an all girl crew with 3+ skills

tank276 #14 Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 54492 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostRichthoffen, on 08 January 2020 - 10:33 AM, said:

what would be a noob friendly passive scout line to someone that is fond of big guns and doing tons of dmg?

any suggestions with motivation will be appreciated but keep in mind i'm going out of my comfort zone so really noob friendly

T49 with derp gun (provided you hit your targets-which is hard) or maybe the new British lights (havent played them yet).

Problem is, neither line is lights noob friendly, especially the Brits.

Go soviet lights and win.

Flicka #15 Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23584 battles
  • [CELL] CELL

http://wotinfo.net/en/camouflage

You can use that tool to compare scouts, but for passive scouting it is more to gameplay then the tanks alone.

Some do it better, but it is also situational.

Balc0ra #16 Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74917 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostRichthoffen, on 08 January 2020 - 12:49 PM, said:

only downside I can find is the camo drops horrible @ tier 8 with the B C 12t and as I platoon almost all of the time that is really the tier I would be playing the most, blueprints that where given at the Christmas event will probably get me to the BC 12t easy but as said I do not fancy the drop in camo coming from the AMX.

Well for passive spotting alone, that's not going to be an issue. As either you spot, or you deal damage. You can't do both in most lights. Tho the 12t does indeed have a bit lower camo when firing vs most lights. But if I have to fire in my passive scouts. I tend to wait until the target is behind a bush, treetop or I can move back 15m behind my cover to counter the camo drop. As vs targets 400m away, that won't matter much. On med range, not many lights can stay hidden when firing anyway unless they have enough cover.

But if that is a concern. Again the UK lights does that better. As most of mine there has over 40 camo when stationary, and 10 when firing. As those work better at range vs LT countering or staying at med to close range vs anything. And they don't lack pen to deal most of their damage either. But those lights are an acquired taste if you will. As they lack DPM vs even the French clip guns like my 13 90 vs the GSOR has a 500 dpm difference, but also a 30 pen difference with the same alpha.

shane73tank #17 Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33510 battles
  • [M-O-M] M-O-M

As stated by others the AMX line is a good "scout" line, you also have a decent clip to pump out damage when it comes to mopping up later in the game, they are also quite mobile with super camo - if you know your view range limits you can stay unspotted while being quite mobile also. 

In addition if you do want to be the ultimate bush w*nker you can pick up the ELC even to train your crew 

Be careful if reading guides etc - the intro of wheeled vehicles have made it so that you cannot just drive straight to the comfy bush at the start of the game 

Remember your primary role is to spot  - own damage is a bonus

Gremlin182 #18 Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:21 PM

General

• Player
  • 60339 battles

View PostRichthoffen, on 08 January 2020 - 12:49 PM, said:

after reading this I fear its more a mindset... have gun, must use

I will check my set up and tinker with it a bit to max it out (I will try to hold my fire)

11:55 Added after 6 minute

Nothing wrong with being a damage dealer in a light its a question of when for me.

At the start I probably do a sweep not too deep to see what I pick up in spots then I decide on a flank I can support and attempt to light up enemy tanks for my team to shoot.

I am going to get xp for that anyway so not that interested in damage though if a chance occurs I will probably act on it and chance a few shots.

Important to stay alive rather than rack up damage, a light tank late in the game is invaluable.

Mid game I am pushing more trying to find lone enemies and perhaps spot their tds.

After that its usually a free for all where I go deep into the enemy territory and go for the SPGs and any damaged lone tanks.

Perfect maps would be Prokorovka Malinovka and Karelia there are others but you can really get some decent scouting done on those.

Just watch out for the anti scouts ie the wheeled vehicles they can ruin your day.

Ilknur_Ibryam #19 Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:57 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14499 battles

View PostRichthoffen, on 08 January 2020 - 11:33 AM, said:

as a TD player that prefers glass canons with good camo I recently shifted  a bit towards passive scouting.

Strv 105?

BrinklyWollox #20 Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28387 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

I played through most of the French lights as passive scouts rather than damage dealers because I'm not a good enough player to use them in the latter role. British lights are probably the best passive scouts now but don't even consider starting the line unless you have a (minimum) 2-skill crew with camo focus ready to drop in and be prepared to be beasted by every other light in the game when you get rushed.

And then you'll be disappointed anyway because the guns don't get good until much later in the grind.

Also tagged with scout

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users