Jump to content


Will skorpion g be enjoyable?


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

kacimierz #1 Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:22 PM

    Private

  • Beta Tester
  • 9693 battles
  • 2
  • Member since:
    09-01-2010
I know, thread tittle is a bit sketchy.
I'm hesitating on buying a skorpion. Most of the time I'm playing heavies or mediums. I own a T34 back from when the tree got reworked but after coming back to the game last week after around 2 years I found out I don't enjoy it as much as I did before. Power creep has really taken a beating on it. The gun has nice stats but not really great to handle, armor is questionable if you can't get hulldown, plus a lot of vehicles these days seem to have decent gun depression where back in the days US tanks were kings in this manner.
Anyway, the point is I'm looking for a fun tank to make credits in. The reason why I'm considering a skorp is because I also play my hellcat (the T6 one) from time to time. I've around 250 battles in it (bear with me, I play since beta but I only have 9k battles) with a 58% WR and over 1200 avg damage, which is quite an ok performance in my eyes.
Would a skorp g be a similar experience to this? What do you guys think?

Edited by kacimierz, 10 January 2020 - 05:29 PM.


Negativvv #2 Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:25 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 14822 battles
  • 2,218
  • [KEKE] KEKE
  • Member since:
    08-08-2015

Scorp needs to full aim or the gun derps.

 

Otherise it's great. Beware the full gun depression can only be used when facing off frontally (hull has cut out shoulders).

 

Can be used as a lol redline camper but it's mobility and alpha means you can brawl if you are skilled enough.

 

Has rubbish camo I guess too. 



ChristOfTheAbyss #3 Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:26 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 251 battles
  • 745
  • Member since:
    07-22-2019
Not for me atleast. I like active gameplay.

PowJay #4 Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:44 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 41277 battles
  • 5,812
  • Member since:
    09-07-2012

Ask me if I enjoy the Skorpion G. Go on...

 

Full female crew. Three are shared with the E25 and have 4.5 skills/perks. One is from the Ferdi (formerly the Grille 15) and is 88% on third skill/perk.

 

My last battle took me to 19 wins from 75 battles. 

 

I am a TD player so naturally I do tend to start near the edges of the map. No matter as shoot=spotted. Many recommend playing as a medium, which would suit you, but did I mention that you get spotted a lot, and you don't have the armour or HP of a medium. 

 

Mine is clearly cursed, and you are a better player than me, but the getting spotted every time your Commander coughs part is 100% true.



Bigtime_Alarm #5 Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:47 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 22307 battles
  • 575
  • Member since:
    05-14-2013
You use it in WOT so no.

Negativvv #6 Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:49 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 14822 battles
  • 2,218
  • [KEKE] KEKE
  • Member since:
    08-08-2015
Oh yeah, the instant you fire your gun in a Scorp, even the enemy artillery will spot you :trollface:

24doom24 #7 Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:50 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 8891 battles
  • 853
  • [WW3] WW3
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

Well you are a good player according to your stats but your TD gameplay experience seems to end at tier 6 with the hellcat.

 

  • The skorp is made out of paper and you will get punished hard when you make mistakes and get spotted. It's also quite chunky and hard to miss.
  • However it rewards good knowledge of bush mechanics. 
  • It's very fast and has a fully rotatable turret.
  • It's camo is not the best but bushes are key.
  • It has pretty bad gun handling and it's 0.29 base accuracy can troll pretty badly from time to time. 
  • 7° of gun depression is only over the sides but is better than having 5 all around.
  • The gun to turret ratio is quite large so it can pull off miracle bounces sometimes. 
  • From my experience the ammorack can get damaged easily. 
  • AP round pen drop off is almost non existent but it's APCR drops off horribly( 311 down to like 260 @ 500m)
  • It would be my top pick for a TD in Frontlines.

 

TL,DR  Tank is good if you are good. You will die if you are bad. 

 


Edited by 24doom24, 10 January 2020 - 05:53 PM.


BrinklyWollox #8 Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:05 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 28367 battles
  • 11,408
  • [BBMM] BBMM
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015

View Postkacimierz, on 10 January 2020 - 04:22 PM, said:

The reason why I'm considering a skorp is because I also play my hellcat (the T6 one) from time to time.

 

The Skorpion is a good credit earner but all the caveats stated above apply. If you've been playing since beta, however, you should have received a Super Hellcat from the last anniversary celebration and that could prove to be a good credit earner if you're used to playing the regular one.



Negativvv #9 Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:40 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 14822 battles
  • 2,218
  • [KEKE] KEKE
  • Member since:
    08-08-2015

View PostBrinklyWollox, on 10 January 2020 - 06:05 PM, said:

 

The Skorpion is a good credit earner but all the caveats stated above apply. If you've been playing since beta, however, you should have received a Super Hellcat from the last anniversary celebration and that could prove to be a good credit earner if you're used to playing the regular one.

2 or 3 hits a game is likely to earn you good money in a Skorpion tho, I should know as I did badly in it for a long time :hiding:



StronkiTonki #10 Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:26 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Clan Commander
  • 34866 battles
  • 1,117
  • [T0AST] T0AST
  • Member since:
    05-27-2011

It's a vehicle with no weaknesses.

You can wreck people through their gun mantlets for 490+ damage.

You're pinpoint accurate, have incredible pen and alpha and even a fully rotating turret and good mobility.

 

The lack of camo doesn't matter if you're behind multiple bushes wanking in the corner of the map.

The lack of armor doesn't matter in a game dominated by premium ammo.

 

If your team loses, you can just keep slapping 490 shells through upper plates and gun mantlets until you finally die.

If your team wins, you can use your mobility and turret to just clean up any remaining enemy tanks.

 

Clearly super balanced.



RaptorAbt #11 Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:40 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Clan Commander
  • 43990 battles
  • 566
  • [BEXF] BEXF
  • Member since:
    04-04-2012
It is very map dependent, as mentioned above you need really good cover and don't be too aggressive.

Bulldog_Drummond #12 Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:04 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 34146 battles
  • 11,232
  • [DRATT] DRATT
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

View Postkacimierz, on 10 January 2020 - 04:22 PM, said:

I know, thread tittle is a bit sketchy.
I'm hesitating on buying a skorpion. Most of the time I'm playing heavies or mediums. I own a T34 back from when the tree got reworked but after coming back to the game last week after around 2 years I found out I don't enjoy it as much as I did before. Power creep has really taken a beating on it. The gun has nice stats but not really great to handle, armor is questionable if you can't get hulldown, plus a lot of vehicles these days seem to have decent gun depression where back in the days US tanks were kings in this manner.
Anyway, the point is I'm looking for a fun tank to make credits in. The reason why I'm considering a skorp is because I also play my hellcat (the T6 one) from time to time. I've around 250 battles in it (bear with me, I play since beta but I only have 9k battles) with a 58% WR and over 1200 avg damage, which is quite an ok performance in my eyes.
Would a skorp g be a similar experience to this? What do you guys think?

 

It seems to work well for good players, less so for others

I am not a good player and my Skorpion G (with a 5 skill crew) has so far delivered me 38% wins over 150 battles

I wouldn't recommend spending money on it unless you are very confident you know what you are doing


Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 10 January 2020 - 08:05 PM.


AngelofAwe #13 Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:12 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • WGL PRO Player
  • 41625 battles
  • 3,232
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    12-24-2011
Is it good? Yes.
Is it fun? No. 

FataL_ShadowZ #14 Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:15 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 11398 battles
  • 415
  • Member since:
    01-19-2018

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 10 January 2020 - 07:04 PM, said:

It seems to work well for good players, less so for others

I am not a good player and my Skorpion G (with a 5 skill crew) has so far delivered me 38% wins over 150 battles

I wouldn't recommend spending money on it unless you are very confident you know what you are doing

I would agree with that, it seems it's best played like active paper med to get the best out of it and of course the best players are able to pull that off.

My experience of the Skorpion is that it suffers from the charioteer gun syndrome of shells going to ground way too frequently and certainly not as accurate as advertised. I also find the velocity of the AP rounds quite slow and a considerable downside though the ACPR are better. Mine is gathering dust as its just not an enjoyable experience to play, my SU-130PM on the other hand I absolutely love.



LethalWalou #15 Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:19 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33334 battles
  • 1,640
  • [RSOP] RSOP
  • Member since:
    09-17-2012

View PostNegativvv, on 10 January 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

Can be used as a lol redline camper but it's mobility and alpha means you can brawl

 

This is what I like about it indeed. You can be a stereotypical camping TD but the mobility gives it chances. I can do early aggressive positions where I can get spots or just one or two cheeky shots in, and with that alpha, it's meaningful. On Erlenberg for example this is good thing to do as it has that kind of positions. Redshire and Steppes too.

 

And I'd like to think I can picture the shock on people's faces when they see Skorp G brawling in the front lines. You have to pick your moments though and you can trade your HP only couple of times in total. But it's often worth it to brawl rather than wait and snipe.


Edited by LethalWalou, 10 January 2020 - 08:20 PM.


apaleytos #16 Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:00 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 17063 battles
  • 538
  • Member since:
    06-26-2012

If you enjoy playing the hellcat you might like the skorpionG.I think when we consider the silver making potential,fun factor must as be considered as well.

 

A LT player would get a LT432/blackdog,a medium player a progetto/lor40t etc.For a TD player there is no better option than skorpionG. Probably worse players might prefer SU130PM with better camo(speed is not so important for pure bush#anking) or might survive more in the armored chinese WZ .

 

 


Edited by apaleytos, 11 January 2020 - 01:02 AM.


Suurpolskija #17 Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:47 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 24219 battles
  • 2,337
  • [KANKI] KANKI
  • Member since:
    01-26-2016

It's one of the tanks I recommend for people who are planning "to buy just one tier8 premium tank".

 

490 alpha, accurate gun with good pen and a mobile platform.



1ucky #18 Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:16 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 89433 battles
  • 1,658
  • Member since:
    11-05-2013

The question is, will it burn or get ammoracked first when hit by double barrels? Or will they load HE?

 

Anyway, compared to the Tier 6 Hellcat, it's not quite as cool.

Also, the Hellcat has great camo and gun depression.

But, the Skorp makes far more credits. :)



Bulldog_Drummond #19 Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:57 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 34146 battles
  • 11,232
  • [DRATT] DRATT
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

View PostFataL_ShadowZ, on 10 January 2020 - 07:15 PM, said:

I would agree with that, it seems it's best played like active paper med to get the best out of it and of course the best players are able to pull that off.

My experience of the Skorpion is that it suffers from the charioteer gun syndrome of shells going to ground way too frequently and certainly not as accurate as advertised. I also find the velocity of the AP rounds quite slow and a considerable downside though the ACPR are better. Mine is gathering dust as its just not an enjoyable experience to play, my SU-130PM on the other hand I absolutely love.

 

I have been using my Kanonenjagdpanzer 105 a bit today to train my Stg IIIB crew and have been finding it infinitely more effective than my Skorpion G.

Both have decent guns, but the KJP at least has some camo capability



Bulldog_Drummond #20 Posted 11 January 2020 - 05:09 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 34146 battles
  • 11,232
  • [DRATT] DRATT
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

View PostSuurpolskija, on 11 January 2020 - 06:47 AM, said:

It's one of the tanks I recommend for people who are planning "to buy just one tier8 premium tank".

 

490 alpha, accurate gun with good pen and a mobile platform.

 

To be frank, I think this will be very poor advice to the average player

To those as good as you are, maybe, but I think others will have wasted their money


Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 11 January 2020 - 05:09 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users