advise needed pls help

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Jethro_Grey #1 Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4863 battles
  • [KAIN] KAIN

So, i unlocked my Centurion Mk.I half an hour ago and i need advise pls.

Pls note, that the tank has only the first engine upgrade and is otherwise stock.

A new 100% crew without skill as i kept my crew in the Comet (lovely little tank^^) has been trained for the tank.

Attached are two replays, would be nice to hear what i did wrong, what i could have done better?

Advise on how to play, which module to free xp (once i have enough) and which crew skills to pick first (second actually, as the first ones are Sixth Sense, Offroad drving and View Range.

Very first game, Sixth Sense provided by directives:

http://wotreplays.eu...-centurion_mk_i

Second game, no sixth sense

http://wotreplays.eu...-centurion_mk_i

So, where did i screw up (apart from pressing battle in the first place... :hiding: ).

Balc0ra #2 Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74866 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Edit: I read 7/1 vs Cent 1

And that's a trash grind sadly. In a +2 game you have to be on the 2nd line. No question about it. That QQF gun is worthless vs tier X, and tbh the XP wasted for the 17 won't improve it much either, as that effort could be wasted on the turret and the top gun that costs more or less the same.

Sadly you need the tracks first to carry anything. So go for that first.

But... FL is a great place to grind stock tier 8's. Sadly we don't know how long you have to wait. So tbh just keep at it. Stay on the 2nd line as I suspect you lack view range too. Support your meds, even if it's a Swedish Leo or a T-54. Just play a support role on the 2nd line as best you can when not top tier. As the impact you have up front vs a 430U etc is minimal with that gun.

Edited by Balc0ra, 12 January 2020 - 07:03 PM.

Suurpolskija #3 Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:58 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24295 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI
What I did was wait for Frontline and stock grind it there. 

Oldewolfe #4 Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:09 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 531 battles

Well, I haven't Watched the Replays, and just from your Description I can say the Comet Crew would've been the Better Choice rather than a New Crew....     I only say this because Tier 8 facing Tier 10 is not the time to have a New Crew, let alone nearly a Stock Tank AND a New Crew.....        It won't go Well and I'd hate to see you get Mad at, or start to Hate, the MkI when the Tank is actually a Really Nice Tank once Topped Out and a Good Crew in it....

I have the Line Completed and the ONLY Tank in it I didn't Like, was the one you Do....     lol

I ran a Bromwell Crew thru all the Tanks after the Comet and they Currently Reside in my AX....     7/1 has a 3 Skill Crew and that is Insufficient for the L7's Fussy Gun Handling....        But the MkI on the 20lbr I believe you'll Enjoy far more with a Seasoned Crew....     Only Sold it because I also have the P.Vic and I needed the Parking Space for another Grind.....

If you don't already, I'd Save some Money and Buy the Bromwell for the BiA Crew and atleast the 4202 or 5/1 for Training them thru all 3 Tanks....      I'd also use them to Suppliment your Credit Income, because once you get to the 7/1 and the AX, you'll be needing to Feed the Beast.....       Premium Shells aren't a Requirement on these Tanks typically, but their Standard Shells aren't Cheap either, the 226 Pen on the 20lbr's is generally Sufficient to Hole most Tanks....

I like the Brit Tanks alot, finished the S.Conq Line recently during the On Track as well....      And most NATO Mediums can be Played the same way, Hull Down, Peek a Boom, even Brawling when Top Tiered, US, UK, German, and Italian Tanks....     The 5/1 makes an Excellent Pocket Heavy when Top Tiered if your Team is Short Staffed and the 4202 is an Excellent Sniper having the Better Camo of the 2 Tanks.....

I'll watch them when I get a Chance, but just Glancing at the Post, this is my Take....    I hope you Enjoy the Tanks, I did and I will likely be Buying my MkI back soon....       Lord knows Xmas gave me plenty of Parking to put it in now....     lol

ValkyrionX #5 Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:21 PM

Major

• 55624 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

gun rammer, vstab and coated optics 

use the depressions of the ground in favor of the gun and the turret armor , when you can not do it in small maps play as a support tank and as a sniper

Jethro_Grey #6 Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4863 battles
  • [KAIN] KAIN

Thx guys, much appreciated! 

Even stock, i like it...so far, as i haven't met TX yet. ^^ 

My gut Feeling tells me tho, that it won't take me three years to grind through the Centurion, like with my IS-3... ^^

Schepel #7 Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:46 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 66757 battles
Don't play stock tanks. Just play something else and quietly grind free xp. Seriously, this will improve your game experience by miles. There is no grand prize for reaching tier ten ASAP. In fact, it is mostly punished.

TungstenHitman #8 Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:52 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 31752 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

View PostSuurpolskija, on 12 January 2020 - 05:58 PM, said:

I can't understand why players use Frontline to grind a tank.

1. XP is rewarded for based on personal input, dmg, assist, cap, reset etc. bad stock tank = bad personal results = bad xp gains = glacially slow grinding potential.

2. Because it's a bad stock tank not only will you get bad xp returns but in FL once that tank is dead which is GONNA happen fast since it sucks and is in an environment heavily soaked with EBR's and Progettos etc, then you will spend a large portion of the battle playing the battle WITHOUT using that crappy and dead tank so the slow grind becomes even slower still.

3. Random battles all the way for grinding or at least most of it until the tanks in a strong offering, sure, you might be able to wing it without top engine or something not particularly crippling like that, but for top turret and top gun, randoms all the way. Why, what's the difference with randoms? Battles are fast and they are with the same tank. So unlike FL in which as mentioned, you start with your trashy stock tank which gets killed and ends up with very little xp exposure time since you will be using some other tank/tanks for 90% of your FL battle which takes a LOT longer than randoms, your random battle options are always with the same tank you are grinding and since random battles are generally quick, even if you die early you don't tend to have to wait very long to get your grind tank back again unlike FL. Also, the smaller maps of randoms are more workable for grinding stock tanks imo vs the open vastness of FL where a stock tank will be even more vulnerable. There is no "spotting" consumables in randoms so a player can work a stock tank more meaningfully and make bigger personal contributions which of course means more xp.  

BQBD #9 Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:55 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16116 battles
To bad you missed Top of the Tree for Cent AX a few months back.

This is where I grinded the line, unlocked the CAX but never bought it as many said the Cent 7/1 is highlight of the line, and I like it quite a bit, recently got 2nd MOE on it.

Best bet would be frontline if you are grinding it stock and with 100% crew, otherwise it is going to be a big pain for you, and ultimately for the team you are placed in :(

Sorry didn't see the replays as I am at work :P:P

Suurpolskija #10 Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:44 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24295 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostTungstenHitman, on 13 January 2020 - 11:52 AM, said:

I did it because I only face tier8 tanks in frontlines and because there's a lot of things you can do with your stock tank that yield experience. So basically because it's easier. I haven't had trouble reaching captain - general ranks this way. It also gives me the feeling of progressing something other than just the prestige which feels tedious to me. Buying a new module for my stock tank feels always rewarding. 

So, what ever floats everyones boat I guess. This is what I do, because it works for me. 

BQBD #11 Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:54 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16116 battles

View PostSuurpolskija, on 13 January 2020 - 02:44 PM, said:

I did it because I only face tier8 tanks in frontlines and because there's a lot of things you can do with your stock tank that yield experience. So basically because it's easier. I haven't had trouble reaching captain - general ranks this way. It also gives me the feeling of progressing something other than just the prestige which feels tedious to me. Buying a new module for my stock tank feels always rewarding. 

So, what ever floats everyones boat I guess. This is what I do, because it works for me. 

And Frontline games do not count for your overall statistics, if you care for your stats that is :P:P

TungstenHitman #12 Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:15 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 31752 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

View PostSuurpolskija, on 13 January 2020 - 01:44 PM, said:

I wouldn't say it's whatever floats one's boat in terms of both being equally gainful for invested time. There's just no way in hell I could see how FL would get anything close on random battles with all the options random battles has, for power grinding a stock T8 quickly. Like I said, FL only rewards each tank for each tanks personal contribution it's not evenly spread between all participating tanks so you will most likely only do bad things with a bad stock tank for the brief cameo it makes at the start, then its 90% of the battle with your better tanks with the stock tank perhaps making 1 more appearance unless you purposefully through your next tank in the bin at precisely the exact moment the down time for the dead stock tank is completed which you just aren't going to ever do nor care anymore about that stock tank. So all you wil gain is small amounts of xp gain for that stock tanks bad performance and small exposure times.

By comparison with randoms, bottom tier rewards more xp, even with really mediocre personal efforts so long as you pop a top tier tank with a few shots or some tracking assist. Also, if you pick up a days premium account you will complete that entire module grind with random battles in just an hour, maybe two. 500 base xp is a typical reward for doing almost nothing for a victory as a bottom tier T8 tank, that's 750xp with a premium account, multiply that by the X3 xp for 5 of your better xp wins, have a 100% or 200% xp booster running too, this is up to 8k xp per battle, 10k+ for a really nice one, perhaps a X2 xp for win event running too like we have right now.... sure, it's not all wins, take it as it comes, play for 50/50 and of course as you grind that stock tank it doesn't remain stock, quickly you will get top gun or turret etc so a lot of the grind is going to be semi-stock and not a totally shat tank. It doesn't take long at all in random battles, really fast, FL can't touch it. 

Edited by TungstenHitman, 14 January 2020 - 10:49 AM.

TankkiPoju #13 Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:49 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24434 battles

View PostSuurpolskija, on 12 January 2020 - 06:58 PM, said:

I did same with IS-M. Unfortunately stock IS-M is so slow, most Frontline battles with it were "press W all game, and do nothing else".

Schepel #14 Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:45 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 66757 battles

View PostTankkiPoju, on 13 January 2020 - 09:49 PM, said:

I did same with IS-M. Unfortunately stock IS-M is so slow, most Frontline battles with it were "press W all game, and do nothing else".

FWIW, best to save those tanks for defence games after the cap zones have been taken. That way you won't have to drive much and you can generally farm some damage and kills just dealing with the yolo bots. Even the 65t 'works' in this way.

Oldewolfe #15 Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:16 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 531 battles

Frontline is No Harm, No Foul Tanking as well....   None of it Shows Up in your Stat's anywhere, so even Losing doesn't Matter.....

This is why the original Frontline was so Good, that's what it was meant for....    Training Crews and Earning Credits, nothing more, and all at your own Tier...     There was No Grind unless you wanted one and if you Ran your Reserves for an Hour, you made out like a Fat Rat Win or Lose, made the Original Frontline PERFECT for Grinding New Tier 8 Tanks.....

They need to get Back to that Formula, all that was Wrong with it was the Map and the Spawn Campers at C Mainly....     Everything Else was Fine....

Bulldog_Drummond #16 Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:14 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34180 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostOldewolfe, on 14 January 2020 - 01:16 AM, said:

Frontline is No Harm, No Foul Tanking as well....   None of it Shows Up in your Stat's anywhere, so even Losing doesn't Matter.....

This is why the original Frontline was so Good, that's what it was meant for....    Training Crews and Earning Credits, nothing more, and all at your own Tier...     There was No Grind unless you wanted one and if you Ran your Reserves for an Hour, you made out like a Fat Rat Win or Lose, made the Original Frontline PERFECT for Grinding New Tier 8 Tanks.....

They need to get Back to that Formula, all that was Wrong with it was the Map and the Spawn Campers at C Mainly....     Everything Else was Fine....

Frontline seems to be a Marmite thing

Personally I couldn't stand it

Jethro_Grey #17 Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4863 battles
  • [KAIN] KAIN

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 14 January 2020 - 04:14 AM, said:

Frontline seems to be a Marmite thing

Personally I couldn't stand it

Pretty accurate description actually.

I loved the first FL, the last one not so much.

I guess my inability to deal with EBRs which infested that game mode, turned my love for FL into barely concealed contempt. 

Balc0ra #18 Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74866 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTungstenHitman, on 13 January 2020 - 10:52 AM, said:

I did the Lynx 6x6 there, did the , and got the modules for some like the Pershing before I played randoms to name some. It's just better to do it there in a constant +0 MM, and wide maps so you can get into positions to flank with your trash pen, vs being forced in a bottleneck vs +2.

Even I did little to nothing when I died. I just went in a premium and farmed credits until it was ready again. And anything over 1500K XP was a win in a 20 min match doing little and farming credits on the Progetto on top of it, and having somewhat fun. Vs getting 700 working hard on farming track assist in a +2 in a 10 min match that was no fun on top of it. As a 160 pen grind on a tier 8 was close to useless in randoms facing most targets. So on some tanks... I see why some do it.

View PostOldewolfe, on 12 January 2020 - 07:09 PM, said:

I have the Line Completed and the ONLY Tank in it I didn't Like, was the one you Do....     lol

Same... It was the only one I did sell after I was done with it back in the day. Tho I did not have much love for the old tier X either. And had a bad run with the Cent AX when it came, due to 15 vs 15 AX matches via the event that came with it for the old FV premium that was a mess. Not played that much after I aced it, as it shared the already cursed FV stats on top of it :P Even tho the tank is not bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users