Relearning how to play

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Private_Miros #1 Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25457 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

So, after quitting WoT in August/September 2016, I decided to give WoT a try again over the holidays.

I decided use an account that was gifted (as in, brand new, bought tanks for me, and I've only played on it) as a joke basically but contains premium tanks to me to relearn the game. Reasons are twofold. My main account has too many tanks, and only premium tanks works well for now to not worry about credit issues (although obviously the holiday special helped).

Suffice to say, that after 3+ years I forgot how to play. The gameplay is still very much battle royale before that became a thing (1vs29), but things have changed.

Firstly, I played a scout, the leKpz M 41 90 mm GF. And pffff. 100 games, 45% win rate and horrible experience (still says better than 48% on the stats somehow...).

Now playing the Super Hellcat, and getting there (2000 WN8+ on the good maps 1000-ish on those that I don't know yet or are corridor maps).

Things that have changed in my very subjective and out-of-this-community feeling

1. Scouts

The new wheeled scouts seem to be an issue for the other scouts. Although statistically many are better, the speed means the traditional scouts have issues getting to proper scouting spots undetected. I suffered from this in the M41 even on maps that I (should) know. Generally I don't really find problems with them, only compared to other scouts.

Their wheels also seem to suck up 2/3rds of the shots they receive, but that might be me (see below).

2. Maps

The maps seem to be reworked and in many cases have removed central spotting and controlling places. Now the main reason I used to get good stats (though much less than the really good players) was because I liked taking a central place on the map, where I could spot for team mates and support the flank that needed in most. These places seem to have been removed in favour of more corridors. This means you need to commit more, or to be more careful in committing fully.

It is no coincidence that the more open maps are the ones that I excel at still. Steppes and Murovanka are still my favorites.

3. The meta

New tanks seem to be focussed around premium ammo more than normal ammo, giving them an advantage over the old established tanks. But ok, new tanks being temporarily better or newly introduced quirks ending up OP is nothing new.

Biggest difference I found is that players seem to be more campy. In that sense the fast scouts are positive. I've always liked the more dynamic play.

My biggest issues and learning points

These are very similar to those that any player with less than 100% of their tanks HP damage per game has.

1. Patience

Most of my shots to do not cause damage. This is because I'm too impatient. I don't let the gun set fully, I am too eager to do damage or get an enemy. I miss shot, I bounce them, I hit tracks, etc... If you don't know the mechanics, this is frustrating and feels random. I know from experience it is not. Be patient, take your time, and make sure the shots you fire hit true.

2. Patience.

I forget that it's ok to wait and see. I don't always need to go scout or over-commit because nothing is happening. The goal is to have a survival rate of about 40% while having your gun in the game at all time (each separate is easy, the combination is what makes a smart aggressive player).

3. Patience...

It's easy to get mad at team mates, but in the end, it's only you that matters in how you do in the situation compared to others (who on average get in the same situations).

The most difficult thing to learn, and that what I never even fully mastered in the old days, is to the retreat and live to fight another front. Don't be scared of giving up a flank. Many games are won and lost because one team takes a flank and then runs into the open and gets annihilated. Always remember that no matter how damaged you are, your gun does the same damage. Keep your gun in the game, even if it means that once you no longer have the HP, you minimize risks. Do take the risks though, because otherwise you are a useless camper. That's just as bad as suiciding.

Conclusion

After initial befuddlement of becoming basically a bad player, I've regained some of my abilities. I still struggle in getting my damage in walkovers, but that is mainly through lack of patience in aiming (10 shots per game at high tier are often enough for great player averages, provided they hit true, and not only actually do damage 2 out of the 10 times as I mostly had - indicative of getting in the right locations and then screwing up). I also died way too many times early on because of lack of map knowledge and exposing myself in stupid ways. I still need to work on my situational awareness and the prediction where enemies will be. In essence, if you get hit and you are surprised, blame it on yourself.

The game can still be summarized as such:

Play well, win more.

It's more fun to shoot tenks than be shot

Be aggressive, spot, keep your gun in the game and keep alive as long as possible

It's 1 vs 29 out there, if they don't accept the spoon-fed help, let them be and relocate - you might win it for them in the end that way rather than chivalrously dying

Edited by Private_Miros, 12 January 2020 - 09:34 PM.

_cro_magnon #2 Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

Major

• Player
  • 34225 battles
  • [V-TER] V-TER

Damn I never thought I'd see you back playing tanks. Anyways, if you feel like platooning you can drop by our semi dead -MM discord server.

Spoiler

and as always, GL&HF fellow tanker!

PowJay #3 Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:32 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 41314 battles

Welcome back.

After such a break the game must almost feel like something completely new. While most some a few of us are adapting, or at least trying to adapt, to the changes it must have been a mind-blowing experience for you. 

Private_Miros #4 Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25457 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

It's great to see some very recognizable names on here still. :)

Edit: and I've gotten my first mastery badge since my return in a game that summarizes my play style perfectly:

Edited by Private_Miros, 12 January 2020 - 09:55 PM.

clixor #5 Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:55 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 55955 battles

Welcome back, contrary to myth i do think WOT is in a pretty good state atm. At least i'm still having fun after these years. Check the personal missions for some easy credits and goodies!

Concerning the wheeled vehicles. I only think the tier10 one is really broken (althoug i one-shot one in my fv153 yesterday from 300m or so :)). Remember they mostly have lousy view range. You should be able to out spot them although if you are a new account you might have not have good crew skills yet (check the directives!). So if you see a wheeled, don't be ignorant and get spotted, wait a bit and see if you have a team that can shoot, most WV are dead pretty fast (if not it's a problem).

After the WV is dead, you can do your scout thing!

UrQuan #6 Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:00 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22238 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Nice to see you back Miros. I still suffer from lack of patience myself, mainly when not much seems to be happening in battle. And yes the game has changed in many ways over those years. Gameplay has become faster (the wheelies are an extreme example) but also several HT tanks & meds have gone up in speed (the T9 russian HT Object 257 goes 50km/h & can keep up with the meds -> This speed tends to get me killed at times)

Quite some maps, the mid still matters alot, but it has become alot riskier to reach it/keep it.

On the more campy playstyle, can't really blame folks, due to how maps are designed. Wider gaps for approaches means less windows for mistakes + corridors means one wrong move/mistake & you get blasted so you really need to be sure if you want to push, hence quite some folks prefer to sit & wait/trade shots.

Edit: No more teamdamage btw! Green tanks can no longer hurt other greens directly!

Artilleries do stuns now. In case that was introduced after you quit (it happened in 2017): artilleries traded in their huge alpha damage hits for a wider area splash that also comes with a debuff that lowers your tank stats like mobility & aiming.

Result is that arties do more consistent damage over the course of many games at the cost of less oneshots (a good trade-off imo) + they can help the team when they debuff a group of enemy tanks in view.

Edited by UrQuan, 12 January 2020 - 10:07 PM.

Balc0ra #7 Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74936 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Welcome back.

Thing to remember about wheels and EBR's is that their ground clearance is rather high for their size. So most of the spots behind their wheels is more air then armor. But it doesn't take long to adapt to them once you see their common "yolo" spots and figure out a way to make your view range work vs their 320 base range and speed. They can be less tricky. But still unpredictable.

As for maps? That did take time for all of us after 1.0. As some had a major meta change. While others are much of the same with just bushes that differ. So it will take time to find spots that used to be safe to poke up from. But now has a lower hill on the side, so the red liners on the far flank can hit you. Or there is no bush to cover you pass there anymore. The more campy meta as you did mention did spike after 1.0 and most of the map changes. But has "eased" out a bit vs before once more got used to the new map meta.

But I'm sure with time you will notice the new metas on each map for lights etc to adapt your style for it. I still love my tracked lights over my EBR's even now.

Edited by Balc0ra, 12 January 2020 - 10:06 PM.

Homer_J #8 Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:16 PM

Field Marshal

• 33147 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Welcome back.

It's good to see your words of wisdom on the forum again, they have been missed.

Nothing much has changed around here though. ;)

Solstad1069 #9 Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:37 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45956 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 12 January 2020 - 10:16 PM, said:

Nothing much has changed around here though. ;)

Said the moderator :bush:

I_Gutmensch_Deluxe_I #10 Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19226 battles
  • [NASO] NASO

I had a Break for around 2 Years, playing again since 6 Monaths. I cant get on my old Skill-level... 2017 around 4k wn8 and 65% wr and now 3,3k wn8 and 60% wr (recent than and now).

Some changes cannot be compensated it seems.

Just have Fun and stay Artasafe. 

BrinklyWollox #11 Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:15 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28387 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 12 January 2020 - 08:00 PM, said:

It's easy to get mad at team mates ...

It's fun too! :great:

There were some other words in your post but I didn't have the patience to read them. :hiding:

Nethraniel #12 Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:31 AM

Major

• Player
  • 15264 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Same crap, different year. Should be no problem for you to get the hang of it. A lot changed without changing.

And the Dingers rule the forums even more... *glancing at Homer and Deva*

AngelofAwe #13 Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:49 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 41795 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
I joined the game late 2011 and since then I've spent more time on breaks from the game than I have spent actively playing it.
The longest breaks for me have been about 1 year though and even that takes a looooong time to recover from.
It's not so much that things change massively in a year but just my personal abilities that deteriorate when I don't "practice".

I was at the peak of my performance in 2015 and I believe that's when I took my first long break. I've never played long enough before another break that I'd recover all the way back to that level, assuming I would if I only put enough time into it.

Anyway I'm just back from another 1 year break and relearning the game as well, still playing below my overall stats (not to speak of the recents I used to have) after 600 battles. At the rate I'm improving I'd say it's about 1000 battles before I start breaking even with my overall stats again. Several thousands before I get back to my old recents.

I really hate this process, it's demoralizing when you want to win and improve at the game but have to almost start over in a sense.
Sure, to the vast majority of the WoT playerbase I'm still playing extremely well but my perspective and my expectations of myself are different. 

Private_Miros #14 Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:56 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25457 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

View PostAngelofAwe, on 12 January 2020 - 11:49 PM, said:

I really hate this process, it's demoralizing when you want to win and improve at the game but have to almost start over in a sense.
Sure, to the vast majority of the WoT playerbase I'm still playing extremely well but my perspective and my expectations of myself are different. 

So far I deal with it by knowing I get in the right locations. Just got out of my worst game of the night. Ensk, 15-3, in that Super Hellcat. only did one shot of damage and some spotting. But I did shoot 8 times. So some better RNG and patience, and that was an ok game for a horrible one. That's what shows in the stats. The ability to actually get that damage when everything is against you. And that's what is the most difficult to relearn, I believe.

AngelofAwe #15 Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:33 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 41795 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 13 January 2020 - 01:56 AM, said:

So far I deal with it by knowing I get in the right locations. Just got out of my worst game of the night. Ensk, 15-3, in that Super Hellcat. only did one shot of damage and some spotting. But I did shoot 8 times. So some better RNG and patience, and that was an ok game for a horrible one. That's what shows in the stats. The ability to actually get that damage when everything is against you. And that's what is the most difficult to relearn, I believe.

Consistency sure flies right out the window as soon as you stop playing the game.
Been grinding through the T-10 with the event bonuses and 2 days ago I averaged 2600 dpg, yesterday i averaged 1700 and felt like drowning myself in the sink and then today I'm averaging 2500 again.
That's with some ~20-30 battles a day I think so the averages SHOULDN'T differ that much.

For now I just want to get my consistency back but I also know at the back of my mind that before my breaks I could probably have averaged something in the region of 3k... and I'm very far from that now. 

I've also had 30% WR and 80% WR days while playing 40-60 battles a day which is further evidence of my inconsistent plays.

Edited by AngelofAwe, 13 January 2020 - 01:35 AM.

NipplesTheClown #16 Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:31 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8572 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

playing LTs have become increasingly frustrating-just see Claus Kellerman's latest video.  The team will ping and cry at you for hours on end just so you can soak damage for them as they get free shots on a spotted tank. Then when you die, they blame you for losing.

Wheeled tanks are a pain. Just passively scout them where you know they won't go too far. Then proceed to move up the map slowly, bush hopping. Doesn't always work, but it's the best way I've seen.  If all else fails, just be a support tank.  You kind of have to in some scenarios.

Yes, WG continues to take away scouting locations.  It sucks.

Spurtung #17 Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:58 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 76259 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostNipplesTheClown, on 13 January 2020 - 01:31 AM, said:

just see Claus Kellerman's latest video

TankkiPoju #18 Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:24 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24444 battles

The game play has become faster indeed, but at the same time map and meta changes mean on many maps... The team that pushes, loses.

Especially on maps like Airfield, where you can't push into anywhere without running into TD firing lines and arty.

Richthoffen #19 Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:49 AM

Major

• Player
  • 31146 battles
  • [MS-] MS-
welcome back.

gitgud_cannot #20 Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31333 battles
  • [PTS] PTS

View Postclixor, on 12 January 2020 - 10:55 PM, said:

Welcome back, contrary to myth i do think WOT is in a pretty good state atm. At least i'm still having fun after these years. Check the personal missions for some easy credits and goodies!

Concerning the wheeled vehicles. I only think the tier10 one is really broken (althoug i one-shot one in my fv153 yesterday from 300m or so :)). Remember they mostly have lousy view range. You should be able to out spot them although if you are a new account you might have not have good crew skills yet (check the directives!). So if you see a wheeled, don't be ignorant and get spotted, wait a bit and see if you have a team that can shoot, most WV are dead pretty fast (if not it's a problem).

After the WV is dead, you can do your scout thing!

EBR 105 has a lousy VR on paper, but before i removed improved vents from it i had 470m VR, which is by no means a bad VR considering how balanced camo it has.

I had around 1,5 year break myself, toughest thing was to learn all the maps from zero, because all of them where changed beyond recognition. Game itself has become much faster in general, yolo flank pushing from one team is much more common nowadays than it was 3-4 years ago, the most annoying thing that has become more frequent than ever before is 2-3 tanks yolo rushing one tank, even though they trade their tanks for 1 enemy tank more often than not. There has been quite a DPM increase over last years, credit boosters has allowed people grind faster(more noobs at high tiers) and spam more "special ammo" than ever, but thats understandable, considering hulldown meta, why even bother trying to shoot anything else, i really dont blame anyone, its just how the game balance is nowadays, armor is balanced around premium ammo penetration, rather than standard one. Another thing is that you should do, relearn all the armor models, for example all the critical/no damage hits on wheeled vehicles are  just because there is nothing behind those wheels, there has been so many topics about them, people crying that they cant pen EBR with JPZ e100s and so on, well than simply aim better and dont spam HEAT at them :D I have played wheeled vehicles quite a bit myself and to be honest, i dont like them that much, i rather play amx 13 105 than ebr 105, i just hate the fact that you have to rely on your speed to survive, whenever you are not going full speed yolo zig zag crap, you are pretty much dead instantly, that might be one of the reasons why supposedly bad players have good stats in ebrs, they just dont give a damn and yolo every battle and it works surprisingly well for them. The thing is that EBR after some "tweaks" has become very unstable, whenever you hit a slightest bump, it either goes sideways and loses its speed or even worse - flips, which resuts in a crashing full Hp tank lol. So imo EBR is more of and RNG fiesta than anything else, it either works or it sucks. Any other light tank is more consistent at everything.

Edited by gitgud_cannot, 13 January 2020 - 11:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users