Crews

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Jethro_Grey #1 Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4863 battles
  • [KAIN] KAIN

I am mostly a WoWS Player and the Crew System works differently there (for now at least until Crew 2.0 hits and kills the rather good Crew System in WoT). 

When i started WoWS, i didn't move my Commanders, which meant i started Always with a 0 skill captain, which didn't matter in lower Tiers but was a pain in higher Tiers. 

When i started playing WoT, i didn't have the time to grind Tanks, so i took the short cut and bought a few Premiums to get the Tank experience without the grind. 

And some of my Premium tank Crews have reached the fourth or even the fifth skill as i used the RU heavy cres in every RU premium heavy and so forth. 

Now that i contracted the 'must grind all tanks ' Fever, i'm running into an issue. 

For instance, i had a Berlin Crew that came with my Cromwell Berlin, which i retrained for the Cromwell. 

A second Berlin Crew was sitting in my Centurion RAAC, which also was used in my FV 4202. 

Since i like playing the Cromwell, i retrained my RAAC Crew for the Comet, which i also want to Keep as it's actually really fun to Play, despite the Pea shooter gun. 

Which means, i had to start playing my stock Centurion Mk.I with a Fresh Crew.

I know, i could make it easier for myself by just retraing one of the Crews to the Centurion I, then the Centurion 7/1 and so forth. 

But, like in WoWS, i want to Keep the tanks i unlocked, even if they are stinkers. 

The same issue applies basically to all lines there are in WoT, i have two RU heavy Crews, which are shared among all Premiums, and are sitting in the IS-3 and one will be retrained for the IS-7. 

Other Crews, from barely played tanks, went thanks to the Crew Manuals from "...Sir! We have a Flashlight, written instructions and very graphic depiction of the Task, but we still can't find the part of our arses which Needs to be wiped…" to "...Sir! We hit them in the ammo rack, the Gunner is dead...also, the Commander had Chili for lunch...and their loader is actually a female in disguise!...". 

Tl;Dr: I want to Keep my Crews in my fav tanks, yet, i not too keen on starting Fresh Crews all over again, although in the Long run, each tank should have it's own dedicated Crew.

Especially, since the skill set each tank requies differs sometimes from tank to tank, i.e. A commander which Needs the Viewrange skill on one tank, can't have it on the next. 

So, do you move your Crews, or do you start over? Do you move them across all Tiers or only in the higher ones? 

BrinklyWollox #2 Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:36 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28387 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
I used to follow the same approach but as noted, once you hit the higher tiers you're effectively hobbling yourself. What I do now is have one 'main' crew that I earmark for the tier 10 and use those to grind the line. Any keeper tanks I find along the way get parked until I have time to train a new crew to go in them. Generally works ok but there are a few odd lines where the crew layout changes (e.g. low tier RU mediums to mid-tier, Swedish TDs), I deal with those as I find them.

mateyflip #3 Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38345 battles

I have a shed load of premium tanks and only a few crews for each.

So for the German medium tanks I train up my e50m crew or pz4 h. The British medium cent 7/1 crew get training on all my british med premiums etc etc.

If I'm going to up tier a crew I either use gold or the credit way then use training manuals to get some Xp back.

Re skill your premium tank crews to a grinding tank, that way they will get Xp from 2 tanks.

Hopefully that made some sort of sense.

What what

gitgud_cannot #4 Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31333 battles
  • [PTS] PTS
Best crews in highest tier tanks, grind new crews for a keeper tanks, simple.

Echotun #5 Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23292 battles
  • [FA-1] FA-1
I try to have crews in all tier 5+ tanks, but I move the best crews into the tanks I play the most. At tier 8+ I usually retrain the crew and put a new one in the finished tank unless its a tank I grew extra fond of (like T54). 

undutchable80 #6 Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:01 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13101 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postgitgud_cannot, on 13 January 2020 - 11:53 AM, said:

Best crews in highest tier tanks, grind new crews for a keeper tanks, simple.

Basically this for me. I use a crew that would move up with the tiers as I unlocked the next tank in line, so they would be good by the time I got to higher tiers. Any keepers along the way I would grind a new crew for.

For some lines I know in advance which tanks I want to keep, so I would start a new crew for it in my premium tanks. Especially handy when tanks have 2-3 branches like the IS3 or BC12t. 

NUKLEAR_SLUG #7 Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:02 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35288 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
I've always moved crews to the next tank and at times when they've got particularly skilled moved them into a different class. 5 skill crew in a heavy is overkill but good for a light.

Tanks come and go but good crews takes a lot of time.

Kill_Broccoli #8 Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24036 battles
  • [TAAAC] TAAAC

Yes, constantly, especially when grinding a new line.

When i find a tank i want to keep, books are the new way.

tank276 #9 Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 54492 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE
Move crew to the higher tier Jethro, you put yourself in a disadvantage by playing higher tiers with fresh crews.

gitgud_cannot #10 Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31333 battles
  • [PTS] PTS

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 13 January 2020 - 01:02 PM, said:

I've always moved crews to the next tank and at times when they've got particularly skilled moved them into a different class. 5 skill crew in a heavy is overkill but good for a light.

Tanks come and go but good crews takes a lot of time.

well its kind of is, but 5 - 6 skills is optimal to have firefighting as well, depends if its a crew of 4 or 6, obviously. crew of 6 is usually great at 4 skills while a crew of 4 needs at least 5 skills.

Wrinkly #11 Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 50238 battles
I don't bother moving them. Instead I use premium tanks to train and the credit income on crew books.

gitgud_cannot #12 Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31333 battles
  • [PTS] PTS

View PostWrinkly, on 13 January 2020 - 01:44 PM, said:

I don't bother moving them. Instead I use premium tanks to train and the credit income on crew books.

gl with your 1,5 - 3 skill crews at tier 10 lul. 

WhoCares01 #13 Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24909 battles
If you have a CromB, you don't need a Cromwell crew - retrain your Cromwell crew to the Cent and use the Comet crew also in the CromB.

Homer_J #14 Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:52 PM

Field Marshal

• 33147 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I used to keep tanks I liked but I hardly ever played them again and when I did I found I was out of practice with it so now they get sold and the crews move on.

I have enough premiums to cover anything I might ever want to do.

Bora_BOOM #15 Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 29886 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

I have more tanks than usable crews so yeah, I move them as I progress. However, I have decent crews (110%+BIA+one skill is what I consider decent) in all the tanks I am regularly playing.

Also, since not all the tanks are using the same crew layout I have retrained some of them as they have become obsolete (for instance radioman in British mediums at higher tiers).

What this can cause is missing a crew member like a radioman or a loader here and there. When this happens with a tank that I am not playing a lot I just stick in a good loader or radioman from any other tank type. The penalty for having an 85% basic trained crewman (again, radioman or loader) with all the major skills and perks is in my opinion far less influential than having one that has no skills (BIA especially). My T34-85M is an example, it has 4 skill crew and a 4 skill crew loader from one of the heavies. I will not use a recruit to make a RU MT radioman in a tank that I don't use a lot, spending gold or books to train one for it is also not worth it. He has 4 skills and some penalty is applied but it is negligible.

Erwin_Von_Braun #16 Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:36 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 43677 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Used to when I first started grinding out certain lines but I've sold a lot of 'keepers' in recent months so generally have a crew surplus.

_b_ #17 Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:41 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 57836 battles

Kept or rebought most tanks from tier 4 and up ... so think I'm at some 300 crews for the normal tanks in my garage.

Usually kept crew as I've researched up the different lines and retrained them so higher tiers have ok crews.

Then used some of the too many premium tanks to train new crews if a tank been left without a crew.  And gold to recruit new 100% ones on discounts and / or free exp to get them to 50% on first skill...so guess all crews are ok enough.

Don't care overly much about the WN8 aspect of the game, so usage of premium consumables and dedicated max skilled crews aren't important.

If high skill clan and WN is important, move crews with new tanks so you have just a few dedicated crews, use the introduced skill-books to even max them out further...and top it of with prem consumables :)

killer999death #18 Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26758 battles
  • [JHS] JHS
WG said crew reworks this year, something about crews being used on multiple vehicles instead of having crews in each and every tank.

I'd imagine a German TD crew could be used for all TD's instead of you haveing 5 sets of crews for 5 TD's you like to play. IDK, speculating.

Robbie_T #19 Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21016 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Every tank of mine has a dedicated crew.

I dont switch crews to premiums or new tanks.

MAybe thats my luck when they gonna redo the crews.

PowJay #20 Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:38 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 41314 battles

Over the years I've used a variety of tactics. Most of my vehicles have received fresh crews if I've kept the previous vehicle and, as noted, it's difficult in higher tiers. As a result, I've sometimes moved a crew on and replaced it in the previous vehicle. 

Especially in the early days I have sold a number of vehicles in the rush up the tiers and moved the crews on. I've abandoned many lines, such as every French line apart from the LTs. I've therefore been able to buy a lower tier vehicle back and have a good crew with a low number of battles in the tank. 

I've got a lot of Female crew members and have two TD crews and the E50 crew. I've also got Swedish, Italian, Polish and American females in higher tier vehicles. 

I used to train and retrain crews for silver but now I'll only do this with a well-trained crew member moving between vehicles of the same type. Between vehicles of different types and for any fresh crew members I will usually use Gold.

Between Premium vehicle training, crew books and Free XP, I think that every single allocated crew member now has at least first skill/perk complete.

Also tagged with Crews

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users