• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:02 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 31752 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

Hi guys,

I think my budget gaming pc is starting to show signs of age and the game is just starting to pick up these little smoothing issues of late. It seems to take a longer time to load up the graphics at the start of the battle and also moments during the battle when switching between sniper and 3rd person or even just during movements now and then.

Now, the setting is maximum everything, like a default setting or perhaps this is what the game established as possible with my pc. Anyway long story short, which of the most demanding graphics settings could actually stand to get switched to a lessor setting or even switched off that would improve the flow of the game yet not actually be all that much of a loss or noticeable graphics wise? 

Thanks. 

Btw, outside chance perhaps some network thingy, I don't think so though I think its graphics demands the way it rather predictably comes into effect. I might upgrade some parts too but for now, lets play with turning down the most demanding yet not particularly noticeable graphics setting, thanks. 

TsundereWaffle #2 Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:46 PM

Field Marshal

• 28912 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Anti-aliasing and shadows have the most impact on performance as far as I'm aware. Turning those down a bit will certainly cause for a difference in terms of gameplay without noticing too much of a difference in graphics. Other than that, you could turn down the standard preset of maximum to ultra or even high, there isn't really that much difference in graphics between those settings.

24doom24 #3 Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8894 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
Disable everything and play on SD client and you'll be with the E-sport pros in no time.:trollface:

BravelyRanAway #4 Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 24701 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

Things you can turn down a bit.....

Antialiasing.............you can knock that down a peg or two. But do not reduce the 'Draw Distance'.

Texture quality........you can knock that down one.

Water quality............it's purely visual(so, knock it down as much as you can bear) unlike 'Terrain quality' which can cause problems if reduced.

Lightning quality........can be turned down one.

Shadow quality........can be reduced by two.

Post processing .......can be turned down one.

Vegetation quality.........can be turned down one.

Grass density...............can be turned down one.

Turn off grass in sniper mode.

In the Effects section....you can turn them all off.....but it does make gameplay look boring. So, play around with them to see what you don't miss......like track effects in snow or mud, you won't really miss them.

Graphically the game will still look reasonable good with the above knocked down a bit, but it will speed up loading and you'll feel a difference when playing.

Edited by BravelyRanAway, 13 January 2020 - 10:34 PM.

TungstenHitman #5 Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 31752 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G
Thanks, I just turned down the antialiasing and shadows just 1 click and all is well. I might go ahead and do a few more as suggested too, especially the sniper mode where grass and smoke from dead tanks actually piszes me off and gets in my way... nice outside the tank moving around, but not a distraction a player really needs when trying to pick out a lower plate and such when there's an enemy tank behind a dead tank smoking away etc or shooting a the top of a hill because it looked like it was just grassy effects or something like that. Thanks.

BravelyRanAway #6 Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 24701 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

I don't know if you do, so don't take offense. But if you don't clean out your computer regularly, it can develop problems such as a slight overheating which can cause problems with your video card, microprocessor and power supply and shorten their life-span. Nip down to Dealz and buy a can of air for €1.50 open the side casing on your PC and blow the dust and fluff out of the innards, particularly where fans cool surfaces. 

If you haven't already and your PC sits on the floor, prop it up off the floor about two inches(use two bits of 3"x2" the with of the PC casing...or make a neat stand, which I did) this will stop your PC acting like a hoover drawing dust and fluff up into the casing, usually the first thing to go is the power unit as they normally have their fan to the floor and can get quite clogged.

Anyway, just some small tips to make your PC last longer.

shane73tank #7 Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:59 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33510 battles
  • [M-O-M] M-O-M
Have you got an SSD ? I had a hard drive and as it aged I noticed the loading time increased ,  installed an SSD and it’s like new again

TungstenHitman #8 Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:02 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 31752 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G
I'll check that out. As it happens I keep the tower unit on the table next to the screen for that very reason!! But was the limit of my thought process so far as PC health goes and for sure I'll open her up and take a looksey at what sort of tumbleweeds have built up in there over the year. SSD? No I doubt it but I'll take a look at that too but for sure the can of air seems like a pretty good deal lol! 

Robbie_T #9 Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20990 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

i have a old pc here that runs wot on sd med settings 

runs perfect.

azakow #10 Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:48 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84567 battles

View PostBravelyRanAway, on 13 January 2020 - 10:31 PM, said:

Things you can turn down a bit.....

Antialiasing.............you can knock that down a peg or two. But do not reduce the 'Draw Distance'.

Texture quality........you can knock that down one.

Water quality............it's purely visual(so, knock it down as much as you can bear) unlike 'Terrain quality' which can cause problems if reduced.

Lightning quality........can be turned down one.

Shadow quality........can be reduced by two.

Post processing .......can be turned down one.

Vegetation quality.........can be turned down one.

Grass density...............can be turned down one.

Turn off grass in sniper mode.

In the Effects section....you can turn them all off.....but it does make gameplay look boring. So, play around with them to see what you don't miss......like track effects in snow or mud, you won't really miss them.

Graphically the game will still look reasonable good with the above knocked down a bit, but it will speed up loading and you'll feel a difference when playing.

In case you turn off "Effects in sniper mode", you will diny yourself visual feedback when blind shooting bushes.

When setting it to Medium you  will see whether the bush is empty or not (ground splash).

NUKLEAR_SLUG #11 Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:24 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 35287 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Get an SSD if you don't have one already. Probably the single cheapest way to massively boost the performance of an aging machine.

ValkyrionX #12 Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:04 AM

Major

• 55624 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

whatever type of GPU you have, to reduce [or increase] the graphic quality of your game (regardless of the settings you use in the client) you must manually select the settings from the control panel of your graphics driver settings.

I suggest you create a unique profile for WoT by selecting the settings that best suit your hardware setup.

If you want to reduce the quality you must definitely deactivate the antialiasing , also deactivate the morphological filtering and reduce the quality of the textures.
Keep vertical synchronization active with triple buffering to avoid stuttering.

Of course you must also reduce, after setting the driver, the quality also from the settings of the game.
If your GPU allows it,  also reduces tessellation and texture filtering.

A little overclocking could definitely help you, obviously the CPU also contributes to a good quality of the game so even a little oc could help you, same thing for the ram in the game loading times, surely if you transfer the game to an SSD you will have also of the advantages in this sense.

Thread moved to the Tech Corner section.

Edited by ValkyrionX, 14 January 2020 - 11:06 AM.

_Patrol #13 Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Community Contributor
  • 41375 battles
  • [AW-LE] AW-LE

View PostTungstenHitman, on 13 January 2020 - 09:02 PM, said:

Hi guys, (...)

Which graphics card do you have?

TungstenHitman #14 Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:08 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 31752 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

It's an Asus(Anus more like :P) G11CD 

-Core i5-6400

-8Gb

-NVIDIA GTX 970 Graphics card

- Windows 10

- 1 TB SATA( So not SSD sadly)

Umm... ya that seems to be about it really. A low end gaming PC that I've had for almost 2 years now scarily enough, wow, time flies. 

_Patrol #15 Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Community Contributor
  • 41375 battles
  • [AW-LE] AW-LE

View PostTungstenHitman, on 14 January 2020 - 01:08 PM, said:

-NVIDIA GTX 970 Graphics card

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/732757-resolution-and-frame-rate-problem/page__pid__17516780#entry17516780

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:22 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 31752 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

Thanks, turning down the antialiasing and shadows a click seems to have cured it but for sure I will also make sure to update my graphics card driver and adjust the settings. No doubt my PC, hardware + software settings can be adjusted to be a lot more efficient and perform better than it's current state. Probably doesn't even really need anything new at all apart from possibly switching to SSD.

BTW, it seems to take an age to load into the game client garage initially and also it seems to take way too long to go from the end of a battle back to the garage, just takes ages to automatically load the battle results after a battle when the game switches back to the garage, is this a network or also a graphics thing... or possibly even server side?

TankkiPoju #17 Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:25 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24434 battles
I would try printing a picture of Gal Gadot, and putting that on top of minimap.

jack_timber #18 Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 42113 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

GTX 970 is still a very competent GPU for WoT.

If I was you first item I would upgrade is to a SSD, keep your 1Tb HD, but load Win10 and WoT onto SSD. On mine I only have a 120gb SSD with Win10 and WoT and it runs fine.

GL

shane73tank #19 Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:12 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33510 battles
  • [M-O-M] M-O-M
Did the SSD upgrade myself, lightning speed now on game and in general, nice and cheap, easy to install 

Shacou #20 Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23448 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT
In my eyes SD client will always come over the top of HD client. SD runs the bare minimum and removes unnecessary artifacts from your graphical options.
Even though i have a PC that would work fine with medium/high settings. I still choose to play SD with the lowest settings possible. (with some exceptions like gun-smoke effects in 3RD person view.)

In-to the game I load just fine, but the garrage loading times are longer indeed. I suppose it has something to do with the vast database of WG, I really doubt that they're keen on upgrading that one, we have to wait till shi't hits the fan completely.

Seriously, why is "shi't" censored?

Edited by Shacou, 14 January 2020 - 03:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users