Jump to content


Reasons why people stop playing


  • Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

HassenderZerhacker #1 Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:02 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 32130 battles
  • 3,536
  • Member since:
    09-09-2015

*
POPULAR

I have stopped playing for now, with over 270 days of premium left on my account because I am fed up with WoT.

 

I think roflstomps, failteams, RNG, matchmaking, arty, premium ammo and OP/broken premium tanks have already been amply discussed, that's why I will write about some of the deeper reasons that made me stop playing - maybe some readers will be able to relate.

 

1- too many events/missions/rewards:

there are just too many things to do. when not spending the time on missions or events with interesting rewards, I felt like "missing out" on stuff, so I felt coerced into playing. It's not a rational, I understand, but it's the feeling.

The feeling of not being able to keep up.

 

2- too many free premium tanks:

there were some tanks that were almost given away for free, such as the T-34-85M, and then they started tank rewards, at first there were tier 3, tier 4 and tier 5 tanks, and now they started giving out tier 7 tanks.

this devalues the content of my garage. years ago, I did some missions to get those tier 3 and tier 4, 5 tanks, but now they are practically given away to anyone who plays enough. I had put some effort in to get some of these tanks, but now... it feels like it was in vain.

 

3- frustrating missions:

many missions there require to win, but this is so team dependent. the other day I had 8 losses in a row trying to complete my daily premium mission "win and be in the top 5 by damage". For these 8 losses, I was always in the top 3, but the matchmaking made me WASTE far over an hour of my life trying to get this mission done before I threw the towel and swore to myself to not WASTE my time with WoT again.

 

4- changes in game dynamics and pace:

I think WoT should be a tactical game. Slower paced than the mainstream FPS, brain more important than reflexes, but also moves that made (mostly) sense from a tactical standpoint. Now we got yoloing wheeled tanks with zero instincts of self-preservation.

 

5- Teamplay required when there is no team:

some maps (such as Empire's border) require teamplay in order to not win by pure luck. There are many other situations that take teamplay as granted, for example missions where the team is required to shoot your spots/immobilizations or missions that require to win. Problem: there is no team. The game feels sometimes like playing vs. 29 other players.

 

EDIT:

6- and oh yeah, there is also the time issue. it just take too much time to get anything done in WoT. Missions? grind. Campaigns? grind. Tanks? grind. Train a crew? grind. Daily premium missions? grind. I feel like player dedicating just one hour per day should be able to get 90% of the game content if skilled enough. WoT is way too grindy to achieve things in a reasonable amount of time.


Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 14 January 2020 - 11:05 AM.


Sirebellus #2 Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 26580 battles
  • 1,253
  • Member since:
    02-04-2016
32087 (traditional response)

HassenderZerhacker #3 Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:09 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 32130 battles
  • 3,536
  • Member since:
    09-09-2015

View PostSirebellus, on 14 January 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

32087 (traditional response)


you are not the first one:

http://forum.worldof...5#entry17504955

 

but I'm honest, I wrote "for the moment" ;-)

but it's quite possible that will be a very extended moment

 



Gardar7 #4 Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:11 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 25497 battles
  • 2,533
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011
I don't grind and I don't care about missions. I just play occasionally for fun. I think the problem is that you have taken it too seriously, this is just a game. 

Frostilicus #5 Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:11 AM

    Colonel

  • Clan Diplomat
  • 25298 battles
  • 3,917
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-
  • Member since:
    07-12-2011

I've no urge to play right now, had a few games in December but it kind of put me off playing to be honest!

 

Possibly start again soon, I have about 300 days of premium time rotting too :)



HassenderZerhacker #6 Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:14 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 32130 battles
  • 3,536
  • Member since:
    09-09-2015

View PostGardar7, on 14 January 2020 - 11:11 AM, said:

I don't grind and I don't care about missions. I just play occasionally for fun. I think the problem is that you have taken it too seriously, this is just a game. 

 

I play to win, but we all have different takes on things of course.



ValkyrionX_TV #7 Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:22 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Moderator
  • 58889 battles
  • 3,334
  • [POWNY] POWNY
  • Member since:
    02-07-2015

The only real reason why someone stops playing a game is because the world of videogames offers new titles every day as it is a constantly changing global market and users love to try new games, leaving the previous ones.


Except for what you say about the missions, they are frustrating and can be mangy, I don't agree with what you say.



Balc0ra #8 Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:40 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 79320 battles
  • 24,599
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

The first two points are a two-way street tbh. What might drive others away due to loss streaks etc. Might get others back due to the event theme or the rewards. As last year with FL, Steel hunt and the races etc on top of each other. I had more people on my friends list active than in ages. That and WG EU always got asked about why we never got tank rewards. Now we do due to popular demand. But do they have to be as often as NA? Well... Then again, events like that benefit new or casuals more so then long time hardcore players. And that's not always bad either.

 

As for point 4? Well at some point in any long-lasting game. It gets drastically changed vs what you played at first. As with other changes, the old way doesn't work that well anymore. Be it MM or arty etc. But at the same time, the old content was not pulling new players in. And old players left the game for many reasons as is. So drastic changes are a risk to get new players or old back I've seen in many games. Did it work here? Tbh I feel it did nothing. Wheels did not make games shorter, nor did it spike or drop the population. And unlike say arty that a majority hate. Wheels did seem to split most. And most are in the "meh" or "hate" group going by topics here vs loving them.

 

And I did not start playing this game due to the dynamic and pace tbh for that to matter for me. As for me and my style of play. Wheels change my flow rather rarely for me to be mad about it. And after I did elite my EBR 90... I went back to my 13 90 that I still like more.


Edited by Balc0ra, 14 January 2020 - 11:42 AM.


BR33K1_PAWAH #9 Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:08 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 10948 battles
  • 2,941
  • [_N0D_] _N0D_
  • Member since:
    04-11-2018

Block Quote

 Reasons why people stop playing

 

Because of getting burned out on the game itself. 

When i start to feel annoyed by all the things described by posters above then it's the time for yet another break from WoT. Works like  a charm.



Strapps #10 Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:29 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29997 battles
  • 12,013
  • [GONAD] GONAD
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 14 January 2020 - 10:02 AM, said:

1- too many events/missions/rewards:

there are just too many things to do. when not spending the time on missions or events with interesting rewards, I felt like "missing out" on stuff, so I felt coerced into playing. It's not a rational, I understand, but it's the feeling.

The feeling of not being able to keep up.

 

2- too many free premium tanks:

there were some tanks that were almost given away for free, such as the T-34-85M, and then they started tank rewards, at first there were tier 3, tier 4 and tier 5 tanks, and now they started giving out tier 7 tanks.

this devalues the content of my garage. years ago, I did some missions to get those tier 3 and tier 4, 5 tanks, but now they are practically given away to anyone who plays enough. I had put some effort in to get some of these tanks, but now... it feels like it was in vain.

 

3- frustrating missions:

many missions there require to win, but this is so team dependent. the other day I had 8 losses in a row trying to complete my daily premium mission "win and be in the top 5 by damage". For these 8 losses, I was always in the top 3, but the matchmaking made me WASTE far over an hour of my life trying to get this mission done before I threw the towel and swore to myself to not WASTE my time with WoT again.

 

4- changes in game dynamics and pace:

I think WoT should be a tactical game. Slower paced than the mainstream FPS, brain more important than reflexes, but also moves that made (mostly) sense from a tactical standpoint. Now we got yoloing wheeled tanks with zero instincts of self-preservation.

 

5- Teamplay required when there is no team:

some maps (such as Empire's border) require teamplay in order to not win by pure luck. There are many other situations that take teamplay as granted, for example missions where the team is required to shoot your spots/immobilizations or missions that require to win. Problem: there is no team. The game feels sometimes like playing vs. 29 other players.

 

EDIT:

6- and oh yeah, there is also the time issue. it just take too much time to get anything done in WoT. Missions? grind. Campaigns? grind. Tanks? grind. Train a crew? grind. Daily premium missions? grind. I feel like player dedicating just one hour per day should be able to get 90% of the game content if skilled enough. WoT is way too grindy to achieve things in a reasonable amount of time.

 

TL;DR - game too hard, want more stuff for less effort, waaaaah. :rolleyes:



LethalWalou #11 Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:36 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 36564 battles
  • 4,508
  • Member since:
    09-17-2012

View PostBrinklyWollox, on 14 January 2020 - 11:29 AM, said:

TL;DR - game too hard, want more stuff for less effort, waaaaah. :rolleyes:

 

But gets frustrated because there is too much free stuff...

 

OP it's okay to burn out on a game, and one should definitely take a time off now and again. You'll be back at some point. WoT is love, WoT is life.



shikaka9 #12 Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:36 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 82065 battles
  • 3,188
  • [__HUN] __HUN
  • Member since:
    02-27-2013

1-No

2-mmm .... No

3-YES

4-Yes

5-Yes

6-YES

 

 



Persekettu #13 Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 26599 battles
  • 8,175
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011
People don't stop playing because WoT is 9 years old game, and many have played it already for years?

Strapps #14 Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29997 battles
  • 12,013
  • [GONAD] GONAD
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015

View PostLethalWalou, on 14 January 2020 - 11:36 AM, said:

OP it's okay to burn out on a game, and one should definitely take a time off now and again. You'll be back at some point. WoT is love, WoT is life.

 

 

I didn't play for a large part of last year despite running a premium account because I was bored. Loaded the game to do something different after getting disillusioned with the Puerto Rico grind (and other nonsense) in Warships, haven't left since.



jack_timber #15 Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 47178 battles
  • 4,133
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    07-26-2014

Well my 2 penneth....

1. Yes, all these missions are rather confusing.

2.  No opinion, I'll just sit on de fence.

3. Yes, frustrating.

4. No I like the pace.

5. Yes, some battles what team play where is it? Not all battles though.

6. No can't agree I rather like the format.

As I said my thoughts.....



Strapps #16 Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:40 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29997 battles
  • 12,013
  • [GONAD] GONAD
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015

View PostTankkiPoju, on 14 January 2020 - 11:39 AM, said:

People don't stop playing because WoT is 9 years old game, and many have played it already for years?

 

Very much this too, although it's a lot harder to blame WG for this one so most people ignore it.



WappenAdler #17 Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:31 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 20641 battles
  • 3,800
  • Member since:
    01-12-2012

I wouldn't say those are the reasons why I would stop playing, but some of them are definitely annoying or irritating

 

1- too many events/missions/rewards:

yes. I stopped caring about missions a few weeks ago... If I complete one, fine, if not, I don't care. I mean the last few weeks there was a minimum of 15 missions in the in game overview each day...it sounds weird and stupid but that's just too much, especially because of the god awful and useless missions-overview ingame. I mean just to see what vehicles are eligible for each missions, you actually have to click two times on each missions....ridiculous. No way to sort or hide the mission...

 

2- too many free premium tanks:

no. And I wouldn't say they are free now, they just reduced the requirement of afford and time. Which is actually what you want in your last point

 

3- frustrating missions:

yes. As said, I don't care about missions anymore, this is another reason

 

4- changes in game dynamics and pace:

definitely YES. Jsut the prime example: years ago they removed the old T-50-2 from the game because it was "to fast, agile and annoying to play against" and then they introduced the Wheeled Vehicles...which are even faster and more agile than the T-50-2 and have one of the best gun handling and HE-shell performance in the game... I don't think I have to say more...

 

5- Teamplay required when there is no team:

no.... as for normal gameplay...well it's a team game with 14 other random people in yours, it won't work all the time obviously... I didn't experience any change in the last years, so everything normal. As for missions: as said I don't care, and I would suggest you do the same should you come back.

 

6- and oh yeah, there is also the time issue.

no. Definitely not (apart from the missions/campaigns, but did I mention that I don't care about them anymore?)

 WOT is a grind game, if you want it to be. You want a tier 10 tank, then you have to grind, that has been always the case.

But now you get so much free boosters just by playing, which makes every tank/crew grind faster. Plus the extra XP from the Premium account 5 times a day. And now there are even Crew-books so you can buy crew experience for credits. I really don't understand why you are complaining about that now... grinding has always been a key part of WOT and now you can progress even faster (maybe to fast for new players) than years ago...

 

 

 

 

 



Nethraniel #18 Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:48 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 15267 battles
  • 2,687
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    05-30-2012
HassenderZerhacker, complaining in forums since 2015.

24doom24 #19 Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:06 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 9828 battles
  • 2,350
  • [WW3] WW3
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

I agree. The game has become so much faster especially at tier 10 because of EBRs. The maps are too small (And most of them removed altogether and replaced with even worse maps), EBRs light up everyone in the first 30s seconds, maybe kills some arta and the game ends in a 15-3 steam roll. EBRs and stun have completely changed this game for the worst. I've said it before and I'll say it again: 9.17 was the final good patch in this game, WoT effectively peaked at that point for me and it even shows in the numbers. After that it all went down hill. 9.17 even predates the Defender. The only OP tier 8s back then were the Patriot and Skorp G. 

 

When ever the arta stun question comes up I always respond that yes, I would rather get one shot every 1/100 games (realistically less) by arty using AP and sent to the garage for the next battle rather than suffer through several minutes of 20 second stuns while getting penned from the back by an EBR with HE and questioning my sanity and why I still play this game in the process. 



Bulldog_Drummond #20 Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 37049 battles
  • 13,246
  • [DRATT] DRATT
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

You never actually own a WoT account.

You merely look after it for the next generation.

 

Image result for patek philippe ad

 

 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users