A genuine 'Thank You' to Wargaming

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

hoveruss #1 Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:48 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20984 battles
  • [E-VO] E-VO

With the Christmas shenanigans over, I just wanted to extend a genuine thank you for all the 'stuff' I now have a result of the generosity of WG's giveaways.

I'm some 15 million credits up on where I was a month ago which I'll be spending on the 10 or so new high-tier tech tree tanks I've researched as a result of the ludicrous number of blueprints I've been gifted. Three new premium tanks,premium days, skins, crew and a generous amount of gold. No TVP VTU grind - I mean that alone..... lol!

All it cost me was £15 on a few boxes.

I know we moan and [edited]about WG (just ban Artillery FFS!) but credit where it's due - this was genuinely a superb Christmas event and I'm personally very grateful for their generosity.

I'm still getting benefits on my Chrimbo vehicles for another 2 weeks, plus I'm a  few days away from a Panther M10 and another 7 days free Premium which ran concurrent with Christmas stuff.

9/10 WG (There's always room for improvement! :teethhappy:)

Edited by hoveruss, 14 January 2020 - 01:49 PM.

Ceeb #2 Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 34178 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

I was lucky too with boxes, getting the 703 and the E75 TS, well hell all the tanks actually, but all I wanted was the VC Firefly....

I feel sorry for those that went into the gamble and got nothing.  But I've unlocked the Spaggetio 65 and AMX 105 and the British line up to the Setter (what was I thinking and I have saved 450K free Xp to play with.

All in all, it was a good year for me.

Jethro_Grey #3 Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4863 battles
  • [KAIN] KAIN

Yep, the WoT part of Wg has done  a great Xmas / Holiday Event! 

Kudos to the Team, also thx for saving my  gaming Xmas...unlike WoWS. 

I started writing a small review of my WoT experince, similar to the one i wrote About the WoWS one, just much Shorter and a lot more positive.

If anyone cares, here's the link:

https://forum.worldo...-in-retrospect/

Ratriq #4 Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6419 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
While I did end up spending more than I would have liked on the loot boxes just because of how much gold I managed to get I did get almost everything I could possibly have wanted. 
All tanks, all skins, around 35 days of premium and lastly, around 60k gold, all this for about 90-110 euro.

The only thing which is missing is that 2 skill girl but it seems from what I've seen that she was incredibly rare anyway.

So a pretty great Christmas if I do say so myself, oh I also got about 4-5 Christmas skins for all the decorations I managed to get thanks to the boxes. :coin:

Bulldog_Drummond #5 Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:33 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34180 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

The goodies were indeed very reasonable, although the Advent was uninteresting.

I am now left with:

• 30K gold
  • 12.5m silver
  • 200K free exp

As I am not grinding anything I can see this lasting more or less indefinitely

killer999death #6 Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26700 battles
  • [JHS] JHS
So we are congratulating a company on predatory mechanics for money?

Next year loot boxes will have a double barreld wheeled vehicle with an auto reloader - and it will be Soviet.  I think Wargaming headquarters is already being expanded to store all that cash money.

wsatnutter #7 Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:45 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26708 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
yep I a gree I spent about 100 plus quid on boxes for my self and friends and cleaned up managed to get the same tank 4 times and got gold instead so all in a stonking xmas

hoveruss #8 Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:48 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20984 battles
  • [E-VO] E-VO

View Postkiller999death, on 14 January 2020 - 01:44 PM, said:

So we are congratulating a company on predatory mechanics for money?

Next year loot boxes will have a double barreld wheeled vehicle with an auto reloader - and it will be Soviet.  I think Wargaming headquarters is already being expanded to store all that cash money.

No, exactly the opposite.

I spent almost nothing and got loads of free stuff. That's a *good* thing, right?

Gremlin182 #9 Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:55 PM

General

• Player
  • 60296 battles

As usual I went ott on boxes though less than previous years.

The event as a whole really great.

I did talk myself into more boxes on the final night and though I really didn't need them the gamble paid off.

On my Birthday I usually buy premium time and maybe a few other things, just decided to treat myself a few months early.

So ended up with every single possible reward though I have to admit if the second set of boxes had not given me the 703 II I would be significantly less happy :)

Have ended this event well stocked with resources.Plenty of premium time and gold enough to last me for some time both lots of loot boxes gave me greater than face value.

I said last time I thought I would get to 150 million credits well I beat that by 3.4 million

Playing a tier 8 premium tank on a premium account with an event that gives +50% credits and also adds 10% extra credits into a store that gives you 750,000 credits each week is huge.

Even standard tanks are pretty good.

Add to that the 6 special slots where you can boost XP Crew XP or Free XP which still have another14 days to run.

___Torpex___ #10 Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:59 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 66155 battles

I was not lucky with the boxes and got none of the tier 8 premium tank. But I knew that would be a small chance and went for the guaranteed value of gold.

After all the wanted Charrioteer unlocked, T-44 unlocked, got 4 winter maiden, 2 special crew members (Santa and the chick) and enough credits for a several crew books. So I'm well satisfied.

Garage with full X-mas decorations was nice, even liked the piano music!

killer999death #11 Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26700 battles
  • [JHS] JHS

View Posthoveruss, on 14 January 2020 - 02:48 PM, said:

No, exactly the opposite.

I spent almost nothing and got loads of free stuff. That's a *good* thing, right?

Just because you and a small fraction of other players were lucky there is another side of the story, the story of those who spend hundreds of euros and did not get what they wanted or their money worth. The story of those who wanted to spend a little then a gambling spree kicked in and they ended up spending 2-3 or 4 times more than what they really wanted.The story of unregulated gambling as under age players could spend their money without parental supervision.

Belgium had these loot boxes banned for a very good reason and it's a shame EU as a whole isn't moving fast enough to do the same.

hoveruss #12 Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:14 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20984 battles
  • [E-VO] E-VO

View Postkiller999death, on 14 January 2020 - 02:03 PM, said:

Just because you and a small fraction of other players were lucky there is another side of the story, the story of those who spend hundreds of euros and did not get what they wanted or their money worth. The story of those who wanted to spend a little then a gambling spree kicked in and they ended up spending 2-3 or 4 times more than what they really wanted.The story of unregulated gambling as under age players could spend their money without parental supervision.

Belgium had these loot boxes banned for a very good reason and it's a shame EU as a whole isn't moving fast enough to do the same.

You're missing the point. Ignore the boxes - I spent a measly £15 because it was basically gold with a chance of a bit more.

I'm thanking WG for *all* the other stuff, premium time, skins, crew, free tanks, generous credits, x5 multipliers. It's really a very generous giveaway.

Boxes are another (well discussed) issue altogether.

As I say, credit where it's due - I feel this was an excellent event - YMMV!

Paulo_Lion_Heart #13 Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 24989 battles

Yaaaaa man u better for receive one special thank you! 

They love this, need and want!

Amazing, you are commander, and I say to you "Thanks for sharing this with us" ;) 

tank276 #14 Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 54481 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View Postkiller999death, on 14 January 2020 - 02:03 PM, said:

the story of those who spend hundreds of euros and did not get what they wanted or their money worth.

Those who spent hundred of euros trying to get the 2 barelled Russian or the E75, are just pretty moronic, they should have waited for when the two tanks to be sold seperately in the future.

ALL got at least their money worth (at least that, many got much more) if you count gold, days of premium etc.

killer999death #15 Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26700 battles
  • [JHS] JHS

View Posthoveruss, on 14 January 2020 - 03:14 PM, said:

You're missing the point. Ignore the boxes - I spent a measly £15 because it was basically gold with a chance of a bit more.

I'm thanking WG for *all* the other stuff, premium time, skins, crew, free tanks, generous credits, x5 multipliers. It's really a very generous giveaway.

Boxes are another (well discussed) issue altogether.

As I say, credit where it's due - I feel this was an excellent event - YMMV!

I spent 40€ on boxes and got 32€ worth of gold and premium. I got less with boxes than if I'd buy things seperate. Sure I got tier 5 decorations but those were to a large part wothless. First I didn't want to spend a dime on this gambling scheme but watching many WoT streamers and how lots got good stuff in mere first few boxes I decided to take a small chance. I wanted to spend a max 20€ on boxes expecting a decent haul of gold and maybe 1 premium tank but that was not the case and I felt so bad with the outcome that I bought another 20€ of boxes in which I got even less than in the first batch. I spent 40€ when I initially didn't want to spend anything but the reports people were giving, the amount of new premium tanks in battles and streamers or content creators covering these boxes created that 'itch' to buy. 

For about a week I felt like crapand very dumb that I fell for it, still do.

Later in December I did some calculations and saw that I need something like 7000 gold to have enough gold stashed to buy the Polish heavy premium if it comes on sale again so this time I bought 40€ boxes batch for gold. Yes this time I got lucky and got the double barrel premium, decent gold haul and 2 specials skins but it still feels like an absolute trash money grab scheme. 

And people like you are an issue to be honest. You are thanking wargaming for loot boxes, you are saying what fine things you got for a little cash spent but you know what that can cause? It can encourage 100 people to buy boxes even if they had no intention to and they all can get nothing but less gold that what they paid for. 

A lottery ticket costs 2€ and you can get millions out of it. If I'd win I wouldn't encourage people to buy it just because I spent a little money and got so much out of it. Specially not as it can cause a gambling addiction bringing people to spend money on chance - in fact for wargaming's loot boxes we don't even know what chances there are because they are a secret. Something even China does better than EU as loot boxes need to state % of item drop.

View Posttank276, on 14 January 2020 - 03:21 PM, said:

Those who spent hundred of euros trying to get the 2 barelled Russian or the E75, are just pretty moronic, they should have waited for when the two tanks to be sold seperately in the future.

ALL got at least their money worth (at least that, many got much more) if you count gold, days of premium etc.

FOMO, have you heard of it? It's called Fear Of Missing Out, it's literally pressure to buy or never get it again or after a very long time. Also spoiled brats wanting it ASAP spending money. People with gambling problems. People heavily encouraged by influencers and content creators.

Loot boxes are a problem, have been with Type 59, have been with IS3-A and were this year. Novelty factor wore off but WG is still using them for Christmas because it gets people to sink money into it. Sell a premium for 40€? They get 40€. Sell boxes with a chance for a 40€ premium tank? They get hundreds of € even from people who don't need gold.

Gremlin182 #16 Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:28 PM

General

• Player
  • 60296 battles

I suppose its possible for someone to get less value in a loot box than you would buying separately though when players have said that to me they base it on buying the items at the maximum discount.

Example when I bought my 75 loot boxes I got 40,000 gold and so I say that's £112 the detractors then go to great detail about how no one buys gold at that price they get it discounted.

OK even assuming that I doubt you get it for less than £85 and there was also 35 days premium so another £9 maybe.

6 million credits and every single tank on offer except the 703 II and the special 3d effects and the crew member.

Not to mention getting to festive lvl 10 and all the items crew and bonuses from that on day 2 which translated to masses of credits and xp over the event.

I could not get all of that for £85 more like £150

Same thing happened with the second set of boxes I bought last night only this time.

43350 gold 59 days premium and 5,300,000 and the last tier 8 tank.

Even if you halve the price of the gold and take the lowest price for a tier 8 heavy you are over the £85 I paid

I can only assume if you buy the smallest loot box packs then it is possible to lose out.

Certainly buying the 2 largest sizes over the years I have never failed to get more than I paid for.

There seems to be a worry that children are being exploited by these loot boxes.

Children cannot legally buy them and the only way they can buy them is to steal from their parents, to do so.

That is a matter for their parents.

Denying everyone the ability to buy them because children might steal to buy them is unreasonable.

How many cases are we talking out of the 11 million or so population of Belgium is there a crime spree involving thousands of children or just 2 or 3 cases.

I have worked all my life and now I am retired I have money to spend on enjoying myself.

Spent £85 one month did the same the next not really a problem if it is a problem then do not do it.

If people steal to do it then deal with those cases individually.

IntruderFI #17 Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 51330 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

Genuine message to WG

Fug WG

Desyatnik_Pansy #18 Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:23 PM

Bartender

• 18799 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

>I got 4 Female crew members effectively for free, alongside a 5th (the Santa Commander). While I may not have really needed them myself, it's undeniable that they're good crews for free (you could definitely get Festivity X Without paying money, it just would of course take longer)

>I got a bunch of blueprints; finally some bloody nationals!; and progressed a bunch of stuff I otherwise would probably have not bothered with. I skipped most of the 430 For the 430U, the AT15 To get the Tortoise, got the T30 And T110E4 Without having to play through the T28 Prot and also researched the E-100 (I think I did a bit more maybe, but I don't recall it all)

>I got a credit bonus that helped me fund purchasing an utter ton of stuff. If I had capitalised on it more and hadn't spent a bunch of it on crew books, tanks and equipment, I would easily be sitting at 50m+

>I got a Holiday bonus to tech tree vehicles and a lot of x4/x5 stuff. I once again didn't really capitalise on this myself; not that necessary for me y'know; but I can't deny the benefits of it

And that's before we take into account the benefits of having purchased the lootboxes, as well as purchasing them for others (fun fact, despite purchasing quite a lot, I actually think I purchased more combined for others than for myself. Unfortunately most of them still didn't get what they exactly wished for, but they nonetheless appreciated the gesture).

Mr_Burrows #19 Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 50648 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

Liked this years calendar and Christmas. Ain't that many tanks I want to buy anyway, after playing for 8 years... 
I got my moneys "worth" and then some. Spent a lot, tbh. But even those that did not spend a dime must have gotten something out of the entire event? Increased silver income, experience, free stuff like consumables?  I think it was good. Next year I will most likely not spend that much, if any. Am at 60+ K gold, 60M silver, most tech trees I care about researched or almost researched. Now I just hope for a very special tank as a premium, we will see if WG listens to the suggestion you can find close by. 

Vela_ZG #20 Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28316 battles
  • [CBS87] CBS87
Hahahahahahahahaahahhaaaahaahhaha!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users