• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Sael_ #41 Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 1951 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

View Postsplash_time, on 15 January 2020 - 02:09 PM, said:

As the title says, what lines you grinded then you regretted them? 

For me, it was Type 5 heavy, because even after the buffs it received, it didn't change. But the only tank i enjoyed in that line was O Ni.

What about you? :)

Yeah, every single Japanese tank I got, I found very underwhelming... :teethhappy: It doesn't seem suited to my behavior on the battlefield, which is a shame, as I enjoy hearing the crew speaking Japanese in my ear.

View PostBQBD, on 15 January 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

Not a single one.

Maybe I don't play the tanks anymore but grinding through the line and playing the tanks was a valuable lesson in itself. You learn the strengths and weaknesses of the tank/line and that makes you a better player.

If you are the type that learns from his mistakes

This heroic-tier answer makes me want to put forward additional questions:

1. What lines are the best to grind when you're new to the game?

2. What lines took you the longest to learn? Were there any that you thought, you shouldn't have ground so soon, before nailing other important aspects of the game?

3. Which lines instead you ground and enjoyed, despite everyone telling you those were vehicles too hard &/or under-powered to play?

I'm asking because I'm curious to learn if there have been lines that you hated playing in the beginning but got better when you became more experienced players, and if you have any advice for newcomers basing on how your WoT life has been in this regard. :)

Plus, even among CMs, we have heated debates over what to do when you start - some of us believe you should play the easiest vehicles and get a feel for the battlefield first, others advise instead to look for the class that suits your play-style the best and move on from that. What do you guys think? :)

splash_time #42 Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15073 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSael_, on 16 January 2020 - 05:07 PM, said:

2. What lines took you the longest to learn? Were there any that you thought, you shouldn't have ground so soon, before nailing other important aspects of the game?

3. Which lines instead you ground and enjoyed, despite everyone telling you those were vehicles too hard &/or under-powered to play?

I'm asking because I'm curious to learn if there have been lines that you hated playing in the beginning but got better when you became more experienced players, and if you have any advice for newcomers basing on how your WoT life has been in this regard. :)

Plus, even among CMs, we have heated debates over what to do when you start - some of us believe you should play the easiest vehicles and get a feel for the battlefield first, others advise instead to look for the class that suits your play-style the best and move on from that. What do you guys think? :)

1. IS 7 for sure.
  2. for me it was E100, because of the armour, first i was treating it like an IS 7 armour, but  when i finally learned, i was able to Ace it. :D
  3. E100 (personal opinion).

To ask in forum for help or find a clan where they can understand and learn the basics from the experienced players of the clan or watch streamers.

IMO, WG should introduce a video that explains every class/type of tanks in WoT with exact details and not "this has armour, this has speed, this has......" to let players understand the advantages and the disadvantages. :)

Rati_Festa #43 Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:48 PM

Major

• Player
  • 51202 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostSael_, on 16 January 2020 - 03:07 PM, said:

Yeah, every single Japanese tank I got, I found very underwhelming... :teethhappy: It doesn't seem suited to my behavior on the battlefield, which is a shame, as I enjoy hearing the crew speaking Japanese in my ear.

1. The 430u line is new player friendly, and the t9 and t10 arevery competitive.

2. Lights and autoloaders take time to learn and play well. You need to make the right decisions more frequently and quickly. Ebr line is especially hard to play well.

3. I enjoyed the Maus line and the is4 line due to their armour resilience. I usual play lighter tanks so playing the polar opposite can be like playing another game. The bobject line 268v4 is interesting too, the t7 in that line is very good and all of them can brawl, its a challenge brawling with none turreted vehicles so again a change of pace/approach.

betabug #44 Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 72167 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K

View PostSael_, on 16 January 2020 - 03:07 PM, said:

Russian tanks meds or HT forgive some mistakes because of armor. Maybe that's why you like to play kv1 :-).            Give them a try.

Edited by betabug, 16 January 2020 - 04:58 PM.

snowlywhite #45 Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27829 battles

given I research a lot before starting a new line... almost none.

- russian heavies - did them because they're "newbie friendly". Didn't like them, don't like them, I find them totally uninteresting and too team dependent as all you can do is "w" them.

Don't regret from them the is4 line(wanted st1 for missions, st1 is very good for missions, so... it did it's job). Also, probably I'll enjoy t-10/277 line. But the main line... potato gun is potato gun.

Generally not a fan of soviet tanks. Played them a ton because, again, "newbie friendly". Ok, they're newbie friendly, but not my thing.

- bobject line(stopped at mini bobject). Armor is great when top tier and that's it. No turret(God... how can ppl play turretless tanks) + slooooow traverse speed + smaaall gun arc = mash the keyboard. Maybe if the gun would've been some laser gun... but not even that.

- conq line. Blueprinted straight to caern this Xmas so totally skipped the turds. Got the caern AX in marathon so I know what I'll play. Ok, they're good, but... totally uninteresting.

p.s. - ah, right, obviously the arty line(us). I mean, it's arty. 4 girls is nice; arty gameplay... what gameplay?

Edited by snowlywhite, 16 January 2020 - 09:43 PM.

Hoba_rce #46 Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 45728 battles

Have grinded all T10 except last 5.

The worst by far were the british light and SPG lines - pure torture.

T9 arty damage output was comparable to the frech T6 that i was doing at the same time.

All the lights had such a horrible turning radius making them absolutelly useless for any sort of active play. If spotted by a wheeler, you were dead before you could even turn around.

Doing like a 1000 battles in the French T8 light to unlock all 3 lines from there is also a challenge.

Some lines sucked at T8 (Vk45.A or KV-4) but turned out to some of the best T9 tanks like the VK45.B or the ST-1. Fully loaded with properly pimped crew these were blast to play, as people constantly underestimate them and you dont see many of them so most players dont know where to shoot. 

There were some that i enjoyed very much, like:

The whole Badger line. People tend to underestimate it constantly but the insane DPM just tears down everything. Woth the insane ROF you just perma-track and kill everything.

Type 5 line was also good. Enemy player: O-Ho? Boooom. Half the HP gone. O-No :trollface:

T57 Heavy was also a good line all the way. 

I also enjoyed the soviet nuclear artillery, but that was before the nerfs.

Edited by Immensive, 16 January 2020 - 10:34 PM.
Removed the red colouring

Erwin_Von_Braun #47 Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:16 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 44092 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHoba_rce, on 16 January 2020 - 06:04 PM, said:

Have grinded all T10 except last 5.

The worst by far were the british light and SPG lines - pure torture.

T9 arty damage output was comparable to the frech T6 that i was doing at the same time.

All the lights had such a horrible turning radius making them absolutelly useless for any sort of active play. If spotted by a wheeler, you were dead before you could even turn around.

Doing like a 1000 battles in the French T8 light to unlock all 3 lines from there is also a challenge.

Some lines sucked at T8 (Vk45.A or KV-4) but turned out to some of the best T9 tanks like the VK45.B or the ST-1. Fully loaded with properly pimped crew these were blast to play, as people constantly underestimate them and you dont see many of them so most players dont know where to shoot. 

There were some that i enjoyed very much, like:

The whole Badger line. People tend to underestimate it constantly but the insane DPM just tears down everything. Woth the insane ROF you just perma-track and kill everything.

Type 5 line was also good. Enemy player: O-Ho? Boooom. Half the HP gone. O-No :trollface:

T57 Heavy was also a good line all the way. 

I also enjoyed the soviet nuclear artillery, but that was before the nerfs.

Would ditch the red text my friend - reserved for mods only :)

kaneloon #48 Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:22 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31729 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0

Reading this thread made me abandon every will to go on playing the IS-M, as it was already a painful struggle to play with.

Thanks guys.

Edited by kaneloon, 16 January 2020 - 07:24 PM.

Erwin_Von_Braun #49 Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:23 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 44092 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Russian HT line that leads to the IS4 - not a fan of HT's as a matter of course.

I realise this may not be a popular statement, but the KV4 is just awful.

kaneloon #50 Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:25 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31729 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0

@Erwin, yeah KV-4 is in the "for unicums only" category ...

But seldom playing the IS4, while bad, I feel I am less attracting attention and focus than with the 430U for instance.

Edited by kaneloon, 16 January 2020 - 07:34 PM.

spuriousmonkey #51 Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:00 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 46218 battles
  • [DID0] DID0
I dislike all the lines i grinded to be able to missions.

24doom24 #52 Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9047 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
IS-7 is a disappointment. Worse premium pen than the 257 a tier lower? Come on.

splash_time #53 Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15073 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postkaneloon, on 16 January 2020 - 09:22 PM, said:

Reading this thread made me abandon every will to go on playing the IS-M, as it was already a painful struggle to play with.

Thanks guys.

You're welcome. :D

Thus IS-M is good side scraper at T8 TBH.it's true, no good gun dep, but it has the armour instead. :)

frange #54 Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:31 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 31995 battles
  • [FRNR] FRNR

The french autoloader HT-line. Stopped at 50 120 and just gave up.

Edit: yeah - the other french HT -line as well. 65t is a even worse "tank" than the TVP VTU...

Edited by frange, 16 January 2020 - 08:32 PM.

ilmavarvas #55 Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20211 battles
  • [PR-22] PR-22
All of them. Except KV-2. Which I regret after idiotic HE "balance".

splash_time #56 Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15073 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postilmavarvas, on 16 January 2020 - 10:46 PM, said:

All of them. Except KV-2. Which I regret after idiotic HE "balance".

And who won't love the mighty and cute KV-2? :D 

I played it on my alternative account, and while it wasn't 100% but I totally enjoyed it. :)

Edited by splash_time, 17 January 2020 - 07:55 AM.

MrEdweird #57 Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• 23702 battles
  • [-FUR-] -FUR-
I don't regret playing any one line, just certain tanks. I tend to do better in tanks I perceive to be worse because I get to focus more.

MeNoobTank #58 Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18198 battles
  • [GT_WC] GT_WC

WZ 111 5A line (chinese heavies). I regret doing it because it is boring and not so good as everyone says. for me the entire line was a copy of the russian heavy line and Obj 277 line is just better. Maybe only IS-2 was slighly better than russian IS but 110 was worse IS-3, WZ 111 1-4 was a worse T-10 and WZ 111 5A is a worse Obj 277.

Other line that I don't play nor enjoy is the Maus line. The only gem was VK 100 but after that Mauschen and Maus are stupid, fat and boring.

Edited by MeNoobTank, 17 January 2020 - 10:53 AM.

MrEdweird #59 Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:00 AM

Warrant Officer

• 23702 battles
  • [-FUR-] -FUR-

View PostMeNoobTank, on 17 January 2020 - 09:52 AM, said:

WZ 111 5A line (chinese heavies). I regret doing it because it is boring and not so good as everyone says. for me the entire line was a copy of the russian heavy line and Obj 277 line is just better. Maybe only IS-2 was slighly better than russian IS but 110 was worse IS-3, WZ 111 1-4 was a worse T-10 and WZ 111 5A is a worse Obj 277.

Other line that I don't play nor enjoy is the Maus line. The only gem was VK 100 but after that Mauschen and Maus are stupid, fat and boring.

I disagree on the WZ 111 1-4 out of those. It equals the T-10 because of the alpha and certain quirks of the armor imo. It's a tiny bit slower and the gun handling is slightly worse but the alpha makes up for that handily.

Gremlin182 #60 Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:01 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 60897 battles

None so far though all lines have good bad and indifferent.

I do dislike some individual tanks especially when you get to tier 9 and the tank has loads of modules to unlock before it becomes hopefully usable.

Patton I am looking at you.

If Blueprints could only unlock modules of if using them to unlock a tank automatically unlocked everything then I would be very happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users